PDA

View Full Version : Psychokinetic Wright [3.5 PrC]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 12:52 PM
Psychokinetic Wright

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs29/i/2008/173/d/4/techie_elf_artificer_by_anchan.jpg
A Constituent Tempest whirls around Temen DuRell, Psychokinetic Wright. Image by anchan (http://anchan.deviantart.com/)

Every man-made object, regardless of its origin, was built from something. Therefore, logically, every man-made object should be able to be reduced to its most basic components, and used anew to forge new creations. The process is all but impossible...except for those with the fire of creation in their heart, and the strength of mind and the logical faculties to break down existence into its most basic parts. These are the Psychokinetic Wrights: psionic artisans who literally tear apart that which exists, and, using merely the strength of their minds, rebuild it as they desire.

Hit Dice: d6

Requirements
To become a Psychokinetic Wright, a character must meet the following criteria.
Feats: Psionic Meditation, Any 1 Item Creation feat.
Skills: Autohypnosis 13 ranks, Use Magic Device 13 ranks, Use Psionic Device 13 ranks.
Special: Must be able to manifest control object, a 1st level Psionic power from the Psychokinesis Discipline.
Special: Must have the Retain Essence class feature.

Class Skills
The Psychokinetic Wright’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge (psionics), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Infusions/Powers Known
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Psychokinetic Reconstruction|+1 level of existing infusion using/manifesting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Constituent Tempest|+1 level of existing infusion using/manifesting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Improved Psychokinetic Reconstruction|+1 level of existing infusion using/manifesting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Constituent Shield, Telekinesis|+1 level of existing infusion using/manifesting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Greater Psychokinetic Reconstruction|+1 level of existing infusion using/manifesting class[/table]

Infusions (Sp): Each level of Psychokinetic Wright grants you an increase in caster level, extra infusions known, and extra infusions per day as if you had also gained a level in whatever infusion using class you belonged to before you entered the Psychokinetic Wright prestige class. Additionally, your effective caster level for item creation is equal to the combined sum of your Artificer levels + your Psychokinetic Wright levels + 2. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Powers Known (Ps): Each level of Psychokinetic Wright grants you additional power points per day and access to new powers as if you had also gained a level in Psion. You does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that you adds the level of Psychokinetic Wright to the level of Psion you possess, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.

Psychokinetic Reconstruction (Ps): As a swift action, you may expend your Psionic Focus to deconstruct a unattended mundane item within 30 feet (or a mundane item you personally carry). The item is torn apart into its component elements, which encircle you, carried aloft by your psionic energies. The item loses all functionality when dismantled in this fashion. You gain a pool of Component Points equal to the gold piece cost of the object in question. Additional dismantled mundane objects add to your cumulative gold piece cost.

At any time, as a standard action, you may forge a mundane item from the elements surrounding you. To do so, expend a number of Component Points from your Component Point pool equal to the gold piece cost of the item to be crafted. You must then succeed on a Psicraft check, with the DC being determined by the normal craft DC of the item in question (consult the table below). If you have ranks in a Craft skill related to the item in question, add +2 to the Psicraft check.

This ability may be used to deconstruct or craft things not normally considered "items," such as houses, bridges, carriages, and similar creations. Tearing such an item apart, however, requires tremendous effort: attempting to build or destroy such an item takes longer than a single swift or standard action. Destroying or building such an item requires 1 full round action per 500gp of the item's cost. As such, a typical carriage could be dismantled in 1-2 rounds, while a large stone bridge might take upwards of several minutes to successfully tear apart.

Items of Garguantuan size or larger cannot be deconstructed. This category includes most houses and other permanent structures. Such a structure must be torn down piece by piece if it is to be destroyed.

{table="head"]Item|Psicraft DC
Armor and Shield|10 + AC bonus
Longbow or Shortbow|12
Composite longbow or composite shortbow|15
Composite longbow or composite shortbow with high strength rating|15 + (2 x Strength bonus)
Crossbow|15
Simple melee or thrown weapon|12
Martial melee or thrown weapon|15
Exotic melee or thrown weapon|18
Very simple item (wooden spoon)|5
Typical item (iron pot)|10
High-quality item (bell)|15
Complex or superior item (lock)|20[/table]

Beginning at 3rd level, you may deconstruct and reconstruct magic items, based solely on their gold piece cost (for charged items such as wands or staves, subtract a percentage from their cost equal to the percentage of charges already used). The gold piece of magic items forms a Magical Component Pool separate from your Component Pool. You may use points from your Magical Component Pool to craft mundane items, but you may not use points from your Component Pool to craft magical items.

If a magic item you create involves a spell with an expensive material component, you must expend Magical Component Points equal to the cost of that material component (Or, if the item crafted is a spell-completion item, equal to 50x the cost of that material component). If the item involves a spell with an XP component, than you must expend the XP that would normally be required to include that spell in a magic item.

Deconstructing a magic item in this manner requires a standard action and the expenditure of your Psionic Focus, and reconstructing a magic item in this manner requires a full-round action.

You may construct any magic item that you would normally be able to craft, and your effective crafting level when using this ability is equal to the sum of your Manifester level + your Artificer class levels + your Psychokinetic Wright class levels +2. You must succeed on a Use Magic Device or Use Psionic Device check as usual, but you receive only a single chance to replicate each spell involved. A failure means that you do not successfully craft the item, but you do not lose any Magical Component Points for trying.

At 5th level you may dismantle and construct magic items in the same time it requires for you to dismantle and construct mundane items.

Constituent Tempest (Su): So long as you have a Component pool with a current gold piece value, you can whip the constituent pieces surrounding you into a whirling frenzy that tear apart everything within its grasp. You may activate or deactivate this ability as a swift action. When active, everything beginning its turn within 10 feet of you takes 1d6 points of damage per class level you possess. Additionally, once per round, as a standard action, you may make a ranged touch attack against a single target within 100 feet. If successful, you deal 1d6 damage per Artificer level, Manifester level, and Psychokinetic Wright level you possess (maximum 20d6 damage). All damage dealt in this manner is slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning, and overcomes damage reduction as if it were both magic and psionic.

Any object destroyed through the use of this ability has its gold piece value added to your Component pool.

Finally, once you have a Magical Component Pool, you may enchant or deconstruct your Constituent Tempest as if it were a magic weapon, using points from your Magical Component Pool to do so. These bonuses apply only to ranged attacks made with the Constituent Tempest, not to the area damage that nearby creatures take. The blast itself counts as both a melee and ranged weapon for the purposes of enhancements only, threatens a critical on a roll of a natural 20, and has a x2 critical damage multiplier.

Constituent Shield (Su): Once per round, as an immediate action, you may subtract a quantity of points from either your Component Pool or your Magical Component Pool to prevent damage that would be dealt to you by a single attack. Every 1 Component Point sacrificed in this manner will prevent a single point of damage.

Telekinesis (Ps): You may use the spell Telekinesis at will as a Psi-like ability. Your caster level is equal to the sum of your Manifester level + your Artificer class levels + your Psychokinetic Wright class levels. The save DC is Intelligence based.

DracoDei
2010-02-14, 01:09 PM
I REALLLY like this, but I think it would work better with Artificer replaced with any of the many "engineer" type base classes that are floating around these boards.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 01:12 PM
I REALLLY like this, but I think it would work better with Artificer replaced with any of the many "engineer" type base classes that are floating around these boards.

The problem is that I like to keep my work as accessible as possible, meaning that, unless I have a VERY good reason, I'm sticking with published material. I've also never found an engineer class I enjoy as much as the Artificer...hence my mild obsession with it. :smallbiggrin:

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 01:27 PM
What's the point of the psionic requirement? It hardly advances psionics, could be fluffed up just as easily as magic, and just requires a one level dip in Psion. It's rather pointless; if you are so worried about being a straight upgrade, just make this lose a spellcasting level, though the features aren't overpowered by any means.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 01:30 PM
What's the point of the psionic requirement? It hardly advances psionics, could be fluffed up just as easily as magic, and just requires a one level dip in Psion. It's rather pointless; if you are so worried about being a straight upgrade, just make this lose a spellcasting level, though the features aren't overpowered by any means.

Flavor, my friend. As you'll see when the Greater Psychokinetic Reconstruction comes into play, you'll eventually be able to repurpose magic items on the spot. Additionally, for creating those items, you'll be able to use your combined Psion/Artificer/Wright class as your total Artificer class, meaning that, for one-the-spot conversion, extra Psion levels won't really hold you back.

I was also debating making it advance Psionics rather than Infusions...thoughts?

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 01:33 PM
Flavor, my friend. As you'll see when the Greater Psychokinetic Reconstruction comes into play, you'll eventually be able to repurpose magic items on the spot. Additionally, for creating those items, you'll be able to use your combined Psion/Artificer/Wright class as your total Artificer class, meaning that, for one-the-spot conversion, extra Psion levels won't really hold you back.

I was also debating making it advance Psionics rather than Infusions...thoughts?

My thought is that advancing psionics rather than infusions, or infusions rather than psionics, is irrelevant, because either way, mechanically, something is going to be pointless.

Sure, the "flavor" is that you use psionic powers to move stuff around and craft things, but A: you can already do that with the magical versions of the powers, and B: you're such a pathetic psion (level 15 manifesting as a psion 2) that you really can't claim to *do* anything as a psion.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 01:36 PM
My thought is that advancing psionics rather than infusions, or infusions rather than psionics, is irrelevant, because either way, mechanically, something is going to be pointless.

Sure, the "flavor" is that you use psionic powers to move stuff around and craft things, but A: you can already do that with the magical versions of the powers, and B: you're such a pathetic psion (level 15 manifesting as a psion 2) that you really can't claim to *do* anything as a psion.

Altered it slightly...it advances both Psionics AND Manifesting.

As for the entry...an Artificer 5/Psion 4/Psychokinetic Wright 5 will cast infusions as a 10th level Artificer, manifest powers as a 9th level Psion, and be able to really mess around with items, which is the Artificer's strongest point.

You may be right, but I'd want to see it in play before I agree with you completely.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-14, 01:36 PM
Have it advance both but not completely. Maybe at level 1 no advancement of either, double advancement at 2,4 and 5. And your choice of advancement at 3?

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 01:42 PM
Have it advance both but not completely. Maybe at level 1 no advancement of either, double advancement at 2,4 and 5. And your choice of advancement at 3?

Why would you make it even weaker? It's already wasting a level on a dip to psion for limited class features, making it cost two levels of a class is worse. The problem is that it's a (sort of) dual progression class that you enter extremely late, is extremely short, and hardly benefits one side, so it may as well lose a caster level for the psionic half; buffing the psionic half isn't worth losing another caster level.

Basically, the class needs to drop the psionic part entirely, and *maybe* lose a caster level (I say maybe because the class features aren't super powered or anything.)

JoshuaZ
2010-02-14, 01:45 PM
Why would you make it even weaker?

Because I'm an idiot?

All your points are very valid. I'm just going to go back to my corner now.

Taffeta
2010-02-14, 01:46 PM
Another awesome concept, Djinn. The Eye, The Hand, and The Spark of Ingenuity will certainly appreciate and employ NPCs of this nature, and I bet at least one of the players will take an interest in the class.

A suggestion, though. Perhaps a mechanic for the Component Tempest to consume gp value when dealing damage (as it seems reasonable that things might break), and a boost in capability for maintaining larger values of constituents?
As it stands, it seems odd that a cloud of table legs and silverware would be exactly as effective as a swarm of broken-down swords and an alchemy lab.

Some novel functions of the component swarm could also do this class well. A reflexive shield, for instance.

DueceEsMachine
2010-02-14, 01:50 PM
I see where he's coming from, saying that it's making the psion side useless, but at the same time, the versatility from being able to retool a magic item is immense.

Plus, I really like the flavor - I think it's good the way it is. Dual progression makes the hit less severe, and gives you some really cool abilities. All in all, definately a class I would play given the chance.

Well done sir.

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 01:54 PM
I see where he's coming from, saying that it's making the psion side useless, but at the same time, the versatility from being able to retool a magic item is immense.

You'd make an excellent politician, seeing as how you are deftly able to dodge any mention of the psionic side by mentioning class features instead. Sure, the class features are cool. That's completely unrelated to the psion being useless. That's like saying that shock troopering deals massive damage when somebody points out that the fighter can't naturally fly like wizards can.

Plus, I really like the flavor - I think it's good the way it is. Dual progression makes the hit less severe, and gives you some really cool abilities. All in all, definately a class I would play given the chance.

What cool abilities can you get from two levels of psion that don't already exist as psion/wizard spells? The powers required for this already exist in magical form, and I really doubt that, say, energy missile for 2d6 or the ability to give yourself 10 HP is particularly impressive at level 15.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-14, 01:58 PM
Hmm, ok, What about reducing the autohypnosis and use Use Psionic Device so you can reasonably get this without lots of levels of psion and maybe some class abilities that allow you to pay power points a certain number of times daily rather than using a daily use of an infusion? And possibly something similar in the other direction? That would make the psion side useful.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 01:59 PM
What cool abilities can you get from two levels of psion that don't already exist as psion/wizard spells? The powers required for this already exist in magical form, and I really doubt that, say, energy missile for 2d6 or the ability to give yourself 10 HP is particularly impressive at level 15.

Look. I wanted to include a Psionic element, and so I did. I'm not changing it. Yes, you'll be a fairly weak Psion, but honestly? It's just in there for flavor. I could have included the Wild Talent feat instead, but didn't want to. You've made some excellent points, but I'm not backing down from this one...other elements I'll happily compromise on.

I've pointed out why I want to keep the psionic elements in. I didn't make the Psionic side that powerful because Psionics are top tier, Artificers are top tier, and the ability to re-purpose your magical items is crazy good. Sacrifices had to be made, and I decided to cut the Psionic side of things. The psionics are strong enough to flavor it the way I wanted it, and that's it.

Can we drop that argument now, please? I appreciate the input, but, if I tell you that I'm keeping it the way it is for a reason, can you please not turn it into an outright confrontation?

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 02:01 PM
Hmm, ok, What about reducing the autohypnosis and use Use Psionic Device so you can reasonably get this without lots of levels of psion and maybe some class abilities that allow you to pay power points a certain number of times daily rather than using a daily use of an infusion? And possibly something similar in the other direction? That would make the psion side useful.

You don't have enough power points for it to be useful. You have 2 levels worth of psion to spend PP on. That's the point. It's the MT problem: excluding early entry shenanigans the sides will be weaker than normal, except in this case, your Artificer is essentially fine but your psion side is flat out worthless. That's the problem. If you want to add incentives for dual classing and keep this useful, then make it a 10 or 15 level, level 3 entry dual classing PrC that advances infusions and powers; a five level PrC is not the type of thing that can encourage dual classing, because dual classing to get it would make you much weaker.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 02:06 PM
You don't have enough power points for it to be useful. You have 2 levels worth of psion to spend PP on. That's the point. It's the MT problem: excluding early entry shenanigans the sides will be weaker than normal, except in this case, your Artificer is essentially fine but your psion side is flat out worthless. That's the problem. If you want to add incentives for dual classing and keep this useful, then make it a 10 or 15 level, level 3 entry dual classing PrC that advances infusions and powers; a five level PrC is not the type of thing that can encourage dual classing, because dual classing to get it would make you much weaker.

It's not about the dual-casting. It's about the flavor I wanted in order to preserve my initial concept.

The point of the class isn't the dual-casting nature. It's the Psychokinetic Reconstruction, which is an incredibly potent ability. If you want to be a dual caster, this isn't your class. End of discussion on that particular matter.

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 02:08 PM
It's not about the dual-casting. It's about the flavor I wanted in order to preserve my initial concept.

The point of the class isn't the dual-casting nature. It's the Psychokinetic Reconstruction, which is an incredibly potent ability. If you want to be a dual caster, this isn't your class.

But what is the concept, exactly? An artificer who moves stuff around with his mind? You already have that with spells. The psion side is literally pointless; all of the powers required can be replicated with spells. Encouraging dual classing to psion more would just make the class weaker (not that changing magic items isn't strong already), and it would be a lot more straightforward if you just required the magical equivalents and made it lose a caster level at first. The fluff is getting in the way of the crunch; you aren't a powerful artificer controlling stuff with your mind, you're a powerful artificer with a power that jerkily moves things about and the ability to lift stuff with magic.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 02:13 PM
But what is the concept, exactly? An artificer who moves stuff around with his mind? You already have that with spells. The psion side is literally pointless; all of the powers required can be replicated with spells. Encouraging dual classing to psion more would just make the class weaker (not that changing magic items isn't strong already), and it would be a lot more straightforward if you just required the magical equivalents and made it lose a caster level at first. The fluff is getting in the way of the crunch; you aren't a powerful artificer controlling stuff with your mind, you're a powerful artificer with a power that jerkily moves things about and the ability to lift stuff with magic.

The concept is as follows:

An Artificer capable of tearing apart objects with his or her mind, and able to reassemble new creations from the component parts of the old ones.

Note that, aside from the Telekinesis ability, there's very little in the way of actually moving objects. The class is about rebuilding objects, and that's a powerful ability. A very powerful ability, probably up there with the highest tiers of spells.

Also, I don't think using magic over psionics makes the mechanics any stronger, as the abilities use their own unique mechanics. Multiclassing won't make the class weaker either...again, the abilities use their own mechanics that combine your existing levels, however you chose to take them.

Milskidasith
2010-02-14, 02:20 PM
The concept is as follows:

[QUOTE]An Artificer capable of tearing apart objects with his or her mind, and able to reassemble new creations from the component parts of the old ones.

Ok... the thing is, they already *do* that. With spells. They control the universe with their mind by using spells.

Note that, aside from the Telekinesis ability, there's very little in the way of actually moving objects. The class is about rebuilding objects, and that's a powerful ability. A very powerful ability, probably up there with the highest tiers of spells.

No, the ability to control what you use your WBL is not as strong as full spellcasting. Not even close. On a fighter, sure, it would be a huge upgrade, but on a casting class spells make up for what their items don't do anyway, so it's a relatively small benefit.

Also, I don't think using magic over psionics makes the mechanics any stronger, as the abilities use their own unique mechanics. Multiclassing won't make the class weaker either...again, the abilities use their own mechanics that combine your existing levels, however you chose to take them.

Yeah, the class uses it's mechanics that combine your levels. But guess what! Your artificer spellcasting and your psionic manifesting don't. If you want to take a level in psion, sure, you can use this PrCs abilities just as well... but you can't cast as well. I don't know how I can make it any clearer that losing spellcasting levels like that is *bad*. Not only that, but again, the mechanics don't support the fluff; I can't see a low level psion using his mind to break objects apart and reassemble them, and that doesn't change if the psion has 14 caster levels in another class.

You are assuming that the *only* thing players care about is the class abilities. But PrCs have an opportunity cost, what you are giving up. If you are a psion, entering this means you lose manifesting levels to artificer and then four manifesting levels while taking this class, which is a huge cost. If you are an artificer, you lose a caster level for the benefits, which is nice, but the psionic side is completely worthless to you. There is literally nothing, mechanically, two levels of psion can do for a 15th level full caster.

Xallace
2010-02-14, 02:29 PM
I think this class is pretty sweet, and would totally play one if any of my campaigns made it higher than 9th level.

Now, I have no access to the Artificer. At what point do you gain Retain Essence? Or more specifically, what's the level breakdown of the easiest/most common way to get into this class? From the sounds of it, it seems much more artificer than psion. I would see something like this as a psion dabbling in artificer before I'd see it as a artificer dabbling in psion (from a flavor perspective, I mean).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 02:30 PM
Ok... the thing is, they already *do* that. With spells. They control the universe with their mind by using spells.

Not in remotely the same manner. This ability is, actually, unique.

No, the ability to control what you use your WBL is not as strong as full spellcasting. Not even close. On a fighter, sure, it would be a huge upgrade, but on a casting class spells make up for what their items don't do anyway, so it's a relatively small benefit.

You've played an Artificer, right? Now, imagine the ability to turn any item you get your hands on into an X/day spell item, a continuous magical item, or anything in between. Artificers are top-tier due to their ability to, given time, replicate anything a spellcaster can do.

Now...cut that time down to a few rounds. Worth sacrificing infusions for? I'd say so.

Yeah, the class uses it's mechanics that combine your levels. But guess what! Your artificer spellcasting and your psionic manifesting don't. If you want to take a level in psion, sure, you can use this PrCs abilities just as well... but you can't cast as well.

'CAUSE CASTING ISN'T THE POINT OF THE CLASS! Can I make that any more clear? I don't care if it's not a good caster, because if it were, it would be insanely powerful. Losing spellcasting levels doesn't matter that much if your focus isn't on spellcasting. It's on item creation, something this class is excellent at.

You are assuming that the *only* thing players care about is the class abilities.

Nope. I'm assuming that a player interested in this class cares about getting the class features, and is willing to sacrifice for them. It's not like I'm making the class mandatory or anything.

But PrCs have an opportunity cost, what you are giving up. If you are a psion, entering this means you lose manifesting levels to artificer and then four manifesting levels while taking this class, which is a huge cost. If you are an artificer, you lose a caster level for the benefits, which is nice, but the psionic side is completely worthless to you. There is literally nothing, mechanically, two levels of psion can do for a 15th level full caster.

Except get you entry into this class, which, given its power, is definitely worth a single level of Psion. Especially since the Artificer isn't a full caster...Infusions are pretty so-so. The real power comes from item creation, which you just get better at by taking this class.

That said, that's all I'm saying on the matter. The psionic side stays until a playtest proves it completely underpowered. Please don't continue to make an argument about it, as it's taking over my thread, and I've stated numerous times that I'm keeping the psionics, and not focusing on them.

Kindly leave it at that.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 02:33 PM
I think this class is pretty sweet, and would totally play one if any of my campaigns made it higher than 9th level.

Now, I have no access to the Artificer. At what point do you gain Retain Essence? Or more specifically, what's the level breakdown of the easiest/most common way to get into this class? From the sounds of it, it seems much more artificer than psion. I would see something like this as a psion dabbling in artificer before I'd see it as a artificer dabbling in psion.

Retain Essence is gained at Artificer 5.

The most powerful crafting entry is Artificer 8/Psion 1. Because of the way the abilities work, you can do anything from that to Artificer 5/Psion 4. Again, however...the focus is on crafting, so I'd recommend more Artificer levels than Psion levels. You're not going to be a good spellcaster either way...the most you'll have is 15th level Psionics from an Artificer 4/Psion 4/Psychokinetic Wright 5/Psion 6.

Xallace
2010-02-14, 02:34 PM
Retain Essence is gained at Artificer 5.

The most powerful crafting entry is Artificer 8/Psion 1. Because of the way the abilities work, you can do anything from that to Artificer 5/Psion 4. Again, however...the focus is on crafting, so I'd recommend more Artificer levels than Psion levels. You're not going to be a good spellcaster either way...the most you'll have is 15th level Psionics from an Artificer 4/Psion 4/Psychokinetic Wright 5/Psion 6.

Ah, I see. Very good then, I heartily approve of this class!

Edit: I suppose I should explain. Reading over the class, the feel seemed to indicate a psion who discovered a love for artifice, and whose pursuits into item creation culminated in this class. Ergo, it felt to me that a heavier focus on psion in the prerequisites would be appropriate. Casting capability was far from my mind.

But, I suppose that's more of a *specific character* I had in mind than a class. So very good as is.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-14, 02:56 PM
Also, where is that picture from?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 02:58 PM
Also, where is that picture from?

Deviant Art, my 1-stop place for all my PrC art.

AustontheGreat1
2010-02-14, 04:43 PM
Hey, this is just me, but I really think you should give the artist a little credit here. maybe a link to their deviant page or a name at the least.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 04:50 PM
Hey, this is just me, but I really think you should give the artist a little credit here. maybe a link to their deviant page or a name at the least.

Done. Link is now up.

Lappy9000
2010-02-14, 05:18 PM
Wow Djinn, you've quite outdone yourself again! In addition to the sheer coolness factor and the combination with psionics, you can (near) instantly create items; a huge improvement for what I personally find to be a flaw of the artificer.

Good choice of picture, too. I'm a believer that homebrew needs to be polished to be worth presenting, and you always excel!

Taffeta
2010-02-14, 06:38 PM
The more I think about this, the better it develops. Though I would like to respect your desire to cease the infusion/manifesting progression debate, a thought occurred to me that I think might solve the issue.
How about instead of furthering advancement with both classes, and potentially falling behind as people keep suggesting, devise a very potent, but focused and limited list of powers/spell like abilities, such as with the Duskblade or Warmage? Or even a unique power list? In my personal interpretation, this seems like a back-row caster moving up to a more forward blasting position, picking up more spontaneous and close offensive/defensive abilities like a warlock.
It'd be a considerable amount of extra work, but it may do the class a big favor.

Edit: Forgot to mention how much I really adore this class concept, and would love to make use of it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-14, 06:40 PM
The more I think about this, the better it develops. Though I would like to respect your desire to cease the infusion/manifesting progression debate, a thought occurred to me that I think might solve the issue.
How about instead of furthering advancement with both classes, and potentially falling behind as people keep suggesting, devise a very potent, but focused and limited list of powers/spell like abilities, such as with the Duskblade or Warmage? Or even a unique power list? In my personal interpretation, this seems like a back-row caster moving up to a more forward blasting position, picking up more spontaneous and close offensive/defensive abilities like a warlock.
It'd be a considerable amount of extra work, but it may do the class a big favor.

Edit: Forgot to mention how much I really adore this class concept, and would love to make use of it.

Not a bad idea at all, actually. I'll definitely consider this.

Flickerdart
2010-02-14, 07:09 PM
I read "Pyrokinetic Wight" and my interest was aroused briefly. Make a Pyrokinetic Wight.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-06, 04:23 PM
Is it too late for me to post here without necroing the topic?

I'm planning to use this in an upcoming game and I have a few questions.

First: I intend to enter into this with a gestalt Psion/Artificer, replacing the Psion side, since Psion doesn't actually grant any class features.

Questions:

1. So, this class allows me to craft any item using one craft skill? Carriages, Swords, Clockwork Gnomes, all from Psicraft?

2. Materials arn't mentioned here. What happens if I deconstruct an anvil and then decide I want to make pants? Do I end up with iron fabric or does the metal transform into cloth?

2B. I was kinda thinking a super intimidating way to use this power would be to deconstruct the corpses of enemies and then build a suit of gore-armor from them.

3. Constituent Shield seems super powerful. What's stopping me from, say, taking 2,000 gold out of my wallet (A paltry sum at level 12) and then saying "Okay, I have an extra two thousand hitpoints." Admittedly, I'm still vulnerable to being hit by lots of weak attacks, but still.

4. DC's on the Psicraft seem really low. I mean, everyone who takes the class has 13 ranks in Psicraft, which means that to make the most complicated item possible with a WIS of 10, they only have to roll a 7.

On the other hand, those seem to match the *normal* craft DCs. By level 10 crafting is basically a joke anyway, so I'm not sure raising it is the answer.

"Items of Garguantuan size or larger cannot be deconstructed. This category includes most houses and other permanent structures. Such a structure must be torn down piece by piece if it is to be destroyed."

Does this mean that I can deconstruct parts of a house (IE: Deconstruct a wall, then the roof, then other bits) or does it mean I have to blow it to pieces first? How much of an impact does tearing a house apart have on the price?

6. Speaking of which, the Wright deals with everything based on Gold Piece Value. This seems like it'd be easy to create odd situations with. For example, hammers cost 5 sp. If I take a masterwork gold earing worth 700 gp, I can make it into fourteen thousand hammers.

---
I realize the answer to a lot of these questions is "Meh, talk to your DM, use common sense." but once I got into a nitpicking mode I couldn't stop.

Xzoltar
2010-04-06, 07:39 PM
Wow Another amazing piece of work. is there a way for us to subscribe to every new topic start by someone just to be sure to not miss anything ?

I will try to test it as well as the other dual artificer Prestige class later on and do a mini-campaign around this and other business related stuff.

I almost have miss your work because of the name, glad I finally click on it.

Draken
2010-04-14, 01:55 PM
Bit of a necromancy but I think this is relevant. It is about skill prerequisites and class skills.

Right now, this class has 39 skill points as prerequisites. Autohypnosis 13, Use Magic Device 13 and Use Psionic Device 13. Considering that the least level in which the defining prerequisite can be met (in this case, 13 skill points in one skill, or 10th level) is the minimal level for a prestige class, I am afraid that this prestige class cannot be taken at the indicated level without the use of Factotum or Expert, since, simply put, no class has UMD and UPD as class skills at once.

In fact, not even this very prestige class, it doesn't have UPD as a class skill. Another thing to be considered in the probable overlap those two skills have, since, considering the default rule of Magic-Psionic transparency, makes the two skills effectively the same (heck, there is even a mistype in the XPH in the sinergy part where they actualy wrote Use Magic Device instead of Use Psionic Device, copy-paste failure ahoy)

Another issue to be raised is that the defining feature of this class is based on the Psicraft skill, which is, in turn, not one of the prerequisites.

I will thus make a suggestion to change the prerequisites to:

Skills: Autohypnosis 13 ranks, Use Magic Device or Use Psionic Device 13 ranks (for the psionic artificer variant) and Psicraft 13 ranks.

Could also make a comment on Autohypnosis that seens a bit misplaced here but that would be splitting hairs, I think.

shadow_archmagi
2010-04-14, 03:14 PM
That is true; hypnotizing yourself doesn't seem particularly helpful to the class.

I suppose the Memorize function of Autohypnosis could be useful for memorizing the molecular structure of the stuff you're building (I assume that's what you mean by "Universal Components") but making that part of the skill check (Psicraft AND Autohypnosis?) means adding an extra die roll.

To be honest, I'm not sure why Psicraft is the skill rolled to make things anyway. Every other use of Psicraft is things like "Gee I just got hit by some kind of energy effect. Wonder what it was?" or "Clearly this magical crystal contains the Plane Shift power." Psicraft is basically a knowledge check, except specifically for powers.

EDIT: Note that while I have poked at Psicraft and Autohypnosis not really being used in the usual manner, I really don't have any idea what might make more sense.