PDA

View Full Version : 3.5, Eberron Oneshot Help

CTLC
2010-02-14, 03:37 PM
Hi all, i wanted to try DMing for my very first time. ~like a virgin duna duh da da da daaaa~ And i was planning to run an eberron one shot. Few notes I told my club:

-I would like about 4 people
-Everyone will have ability scores rolled
-Everyone chooses a dragonmarked house to be in
-Everyone gets the feat "Least Dragonmark" for free, and may choose their power from the mark that fits their house
-They shall start at level 6, its not too much for me to deal with, but it is a nice level of play
-The message that the houses received asked no member to bring anything worth more than 750 gp total, as a gesture of good faith.
-I really would prefer if you were to play the appropriate race for your house, and warforged would be ok i guess? But they cannot manifest dragonmarks, and seeing the low power of the least marks, playing a warforged wont get you any bonus feat.
-Oneshots are short, but trust me, you will need skills, not just damage and hp.
-For hp, im actually attempting to use a system i thought of, basically instead of rolling the hit die, you get half plus a roll for the other half.
I.E. If you had a d4, every level you would get 2+1d2, a d12 would get you 6+ 1d6, etc. This helps casters a lot, and non casters a decent amount, this is fine as eberron is less magic happy than normal 3.5.

That is general info, the basic plot is that some of the marked houses are joining together to combat House Aberrant-Marks [i forget the name right now] and each sending one representative to meet in starting-location-for-oneshot.

From here on, people who want to play [your nemesis comes to mind] stay out.

They arrive late, and meet cador, the npc, but the other representatives are gone. I plan on them following a lead [there is an npc with them] that cador [the npc] gives them. They will arrive in a castle where the gate is locked and destroyed in a such a way that they cannot get past it. However one of them will then make a listen check to hear a person around the corner. As they go around the corner they see a hole in the wall that leads to an empty room. The only exit from that room leads to another room, when they enter the doors to enter and exit shut. In the room they see one human, with a dragonmark, and they all take will saves. Basically the entire room is covered by a silence spell centered on the human. The human hastily throws a javelin at them with a readied action. [He is panicked and locked in a room] I have no clue how they will act, but basically the human is on a tile, and if they knock him off said tile it raises and the room fills with water. If they noticed earlier, there are strange irregular holes ringing the roof. Anywho, i cant decide what to do from there, i want them to have to deal with this room, and there is a weighted net trap at the opposite door [to drown them].

When they eventually come out of that room, or come out of more rooms that follow whatever i plan for them to come out into a courtyard. In the courtyard they see two more of the representatives being killed by a group of four humans with aberrant dragonmarks. The 4 humans are slightly hurt, but run back into the keep. I dont know where to go from there, something involving a fight, and something involving skills.

Its my first time, im really lost with thinking up good ideas, and i have indeed read the DM guids here, but comments help.

DueceEsMachine
2010-02-14, 04:25 PM
Just a thought, you'll probably want to put this in the Recruiting Thread, but does sound like it would be fun, Eberron always is.

CTLC
2010-02-14, 04:30 PM
I apologize for bad wording, but im not recruiting, im asking for help making the oneshot. I figured homebrew, because im homebrewing an adventure...

DueceEsMachine
2010-02-14, 10:03 PM
Oh, my bad - I apologize. What is it you need help with exactly then?

About 4 people would be a good start for a party, so that's good

Ability scores - how you want them rolled really depends on how powerful you want the characters to be - what are you looking for?
Most people go the route of
Low Fantasy - 3d6, very gritty and you tend to have characters with about 10.5 for the average stat (I could be wrong, I think that's right though)
Standard Fantasy - 4d6 best 3 rolls, characters tend to be average to above average
High Fantasy - 5d6 best 3, characters tend to be very powerful, with several high stats
Epic Fantasy - roll several sets of 5d6, best 3 rolls, and take the set you like. This is for games where you want to hammer them and know they can take it. Characters tend to be quite a bit more resilient.

Those are just the way I always understood the rolling systems to be, but as always I could be wrong. Is this the kind of help you're looking for?

CTLC
2010-02-14, 10:32 PM
can my players [I love saying that!] not read the spoilers!

Oh, my bad - I apologize. What is it you need help with exactly then?

About 4 people would be a good start for a party, so that's good

Ability scores - how you want them rolled really depends on how powerful you want the characters to be - what are you looking for?
Most people go the route of
Low Fantasy - 3d6, very gritty and you tend to have characters with about 10.5 for the average stat (I could be wrong, I think that's right though)
Standard Fantasy - 4d6 best 3 rolls, characters tend to be average to above average
High Fantasy - 5d6 best 3, characters tend to be very powerful, with several high stats
Epic Fantasy - roll several sets of 5d6, best 3 rolls, and take the set you like. This is for games where you want to hammer them and know they can take it. Characters tend to be quite a bit more resilient.

Those are just the way I always understood the rolling systems to be, but as always I could be wrong. Is this the kind of help you're looking for?

Basically yes, its some of the help im looking for. I went with standard, and seeing as the rolls were RIDICULOUS! I think it worked, the totals are 71, 74, 81, 84, 90!

Im also looking for ideas for the actual adventure, i want to prepare for everything, and i want the movements to be fluid. I dont want to railroad, but its a oneshot, and im only preparing so much, so if they do anything overly silly Id have to deny it.
But I digress:
I need ideas for the enemies, I know the basic route is the room, the courtyard, the other rooms, the keep, the final countdown.
But so far i only have the first room [which i like personally] and the courtyard, and i do not have great ideas for the stats for each encounter. I also really need to get them from the meeting place, through a few encounters, of the combat and the rp and the skill sort, to the castle.

BTW, starting level 6, and there are now five of them.

CTLC
2010-02-16, 07:54 PM
I also need ideas for the BBEG
I believe i shall choose a psion, and probably kalashtar. The idea is that I enjoy having my BBEGs a wee bit stronger than the party, as a few players are pretty good at making. It is 5 level 6 characters, so a level 11 psion would be fair right? Id then use a level 12 psion. I need ideas on how to make him formidable, and also I know nothing about psions. Sooo, yeah. I am perfectly ok with the story ending in failure, as long as it isnt too mean. I keep things cinematic and epic though.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 06:30 PM
I also want to throw a golem at them, either clay or stone, i realize its probably stronger than they are, but the idea is that it will be in combat before they get there, and shall have a berserk chance of 25% at the start of the battle, i want them to survive, and once it goes berserk we shall see what happens.

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 07:13 PM
[Spoiler]I also want to throw a golem at them, either clay or stone, i realize its probably stronger than they are, but the idea is that it will be in combat before they get there, and shall have a berserk chance of 25% at the start of the battle, i want them to survive, and once it goes berserk we shall see what happens.

I was going to suggest Half-Golem for your BBEG, so you get both in one, but it comes with a big penalty to Int and Cha, but Physic Warrior could work well.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 07:20 PM
I dont suppose anyone has a BBEG statted out that could work against 6!!! level 6 players? Its giving me trouble, and now im trying to run the oneshot on friday.

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 07:23 PM
I dont suppose anyone has a BBEG statted out that could work against 6!!! level 6 players? Its giving me trouble, and now im trying to run the oneshot on friday.

Hmmm....

Maybe a Warforged Juggernaut BBEG, and the campaign could have Warforged , generally with Warforged Juggernaut levels?

Just an idea. If you like it, I'll stat up the BBEG for you.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 07:29 PM
Honestly i never thought of a melee BBEG, i prefer if the BBEG's have a level of intelligence in them somewhere. I do not like large pieces of meat for villains. But a genius tactician who just happens to beat things to death with his hands? That i could learn to love.

DracoDei
2010-02-17, 07:31 PM
Edit your above #7 post to close the spoiler tags.
Also, Level 6 with no one item worth more than 750 gp is... harsh. Especially if you apply it to the wizard's spell-book, which I assume you wouldn't.

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 07:41 PM
Honestly i never thought of a melee BBEG, i prefer if the BBEG's have a level of intelligence in them somewhere. I do not like large pieces of meat for villains. But a genius tactician who just happens to beat things to death with his hands? That i could learn to love.

Luckily, Warforged don't get penalties to Intelligence :smallsmile:, but the Warforged Juggernaut maybe could be The Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon), as they are generally brutish. The actual BBEG, however, could be a normal Warforged Artificer or something, supporting the rest.

Just some ideas for you.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 07:44 PM
Edit your above post to close the spoiler tags.
Also, Level 6 with no one item worth more than 750 gp is... harsh. Especially if you apply it to the wizard's spell-book, which I assume you wouldn't.

Its a wee bit harsh, but i hate magic items, and some new players are really hurt when veterans buy the creme de la creme of items. They can apply any upgrade thing as long as it costs less than 750 to add. And i asked that anything magical about them is gotten rid of or hidden.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 07:46 PM
Luckily, Warforged don't get penalties to Intelligence :smallsmile:, but the Warforged Juggernaut maybe could be The Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon), as they are generally brutish. The actual BBEG, however, could be a normal Warforged Artificer or something, supporting the rest.

Just some ideas for you.

That totally works, would you mind statting the warforged juggernaut beatstick? He has a something point buy, any ideas on a good number to allow?

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 07:48 PM
That totally works, would you mind statting the warforged juggernaut beatstick? He has a something point buy, any ideas on a good number to allow?

I think 32 will do. What level do you want him? I know you said you want te main BBEG to be 11, so what about him?

CTLC
2010-02-17, 07:57 PM
He can be the main BBEG really, its a one meeting one shot. Also we now have 6 level 6 players, so he can be level appropriate +1. Cause i want it to be hard!

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 08:33 PM
He can be the main BBEG really, its a one meeting one shot. Also we now have 6 level 6 players, so he can be level appropriate +1. Cause i want it to be hard!

OK, here he is:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186408

I ended up using 34 point buy instead.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 08:38 PM
OK, here he is:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186408

I ended up using 34 point buy instead.

I would not want to meet that in a dark alley. But i think his non fort saves are a bit low. I think he would just be somehow incapped with a spell ne?

Props for 120 hp though!

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 08:40 PM
I would not want to meet that in a dark alley. But i think his non fort saves are a bit low. I think he would just be somehow incapped with a spell ne?

Props for 120 hp though!

Give him an Eberron Dragonshard Core, from Races of Eberron. It gives 25 spell reistance.

CTLC
2010-02-17, 08:43 PM
that would do the nasty, horrible, cause pain to the roof, ahahahaha lookie its a PC's spine trick

Volthawk
2010-02-17, 08:44 PM
that would do the nasty, horrible, cause pain to the roof, ahahahaha lookie its a PC's spine trick

Well, do you want to be that evil. It is a one-shot, after all.

CTLC
2010-02-18, 03:15 PM
He needs free monkey grip and a very large hammer. And powerful build. So a larger hammer.

Volthawk
2010-02-18, 03:16 PM
He needs free monkey grip and a very large hammer. And powerful build. So a larger hammer.

Does it have to be RAW?

CTLC
2010-02-18, 03:23 PM
I am the DM, and i have a book of hammer one-liners to use. RAW is out the window, get the biggest hammer you can.

Volthawk
2010-02-18, 03:26 PM
I am the DM, and i have a book of hammer one-liners to use. RAW is out the window, get the biggest hammer you can.

OK, I'm thinking Powerful Build and a Huge Warhammer. Should be fun :smallamused:

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed Monkey Grip is wanted. So a Huge hammer with only -2? Sounds good#

EDIT 2: Oops, make that Gargantuan :smallwink:

EDIT 3: Done, he now has a magic Gargantuan Warhammer. And enchanted armor.

DracoDei
2010-02-18, 03:54 PM
The biggest problem with the 750 cap is that it keeps out most magic weapons (smaller ones could be hidden), which could, in turn, cause problems with DR. Then again, level 6 isn't SO far past when a character would normally acquire such (or am I mis-remembering?).

CTLC
2010-02-18, 04:29 PM
no magic items allowed anyways. And the BBEG only has DR 3/adam
everything else has no dr at all. on purpose. Well the stone golem still has DR 10/something or rather, but he is not for killing anyways. And for posts where sensitive things are discussed [not including the post im responding to] please use spoilers

Edit:
Oh my god, that hammer is amazing. I love the vanishing too, quite a nice mean little trick. If he starts losing, im going to have him smack the ground to cave it in. Then the PCs will have to get back up there to finish him off. There will be a cave system underground through which they can come back to ground level.

CTLC
2010-02-18, 10:05 PM
Elite Guard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186626)

Guard Archer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186633)

Guard cannonfodder (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186630)

Basically the castle would be way too much for them to fight it all at once, but its a sneaky thing. They go in at night and take things bit by bit. I still need to make a sheet for the two guys who are in the stable, they will be mounted fighters if awoken. I still have to do the map for the dungeon part when the floor caves in, but that wont be too bad. Ill be using a few straight from the books monsters for there. There will be ways for the group to heal. And its 5 level 6 fairly well made characters.

Edit:
These are the elitemost of the guards, the mounted combat guys. Mounted NPC guards (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=186647) There will be at most two of these, and i hope to god the pcs dont fight em. But frankly, if the PCs go in guns a blazin, i have no problems having them get killed. They will have npc help to advise them not to, im not that mean.

Apropos
2010-02-18, 11:41 PM
The 750 cap doesn't actually help very much. It will make your veteran players resort to UMD abuse.

CTLC
2010-02-19, 10:02 PM
my final thoughts on the meeting.
-we scrapped it mostly, they decided to fight the BBEG straigt up for fun. There was mis-communication and i threw the rest of the castle at them too...
-DMing is dam hard!
-DMing encounters with many smaller enemies is dam harder
-DMing 6 people is really damn hard
-Adjusting CRs on the fly doesnt work. at all
-cake is delicious
-Puns are to be rewarded with roleplaying xp
-person should not be allowed to make his own characters
-No really, that factotum was ridiculous
-Thats right, im talking to you...
-person's character, a straight fighter [a generaly bad class] was [excluding person's cheese, and stupid spells made by crappy splatbooks] the most effective
-Certain people make play move very slowly, time limits on turns should be enforced.
-Did i mention person not being allowed to make characters or choose other people's spells, i mean seriously!
-Warriors are not worth their cr at all. PC classes or monsters from here on out, if i ever DM again...

but it was undeniably fun, hard, but fun . Especially the part where it was person and other person vs. castle

and:
-casters suck, either filter their spell lists like crazy, or ban them, or something else. But casters ruin everything that is beautiful
-a tier 4-5-6 class campaign would be amazingly awesome.
-multiple enemies suck too. too many and it becomes less interesting.
-a low magic setting would be wicked fun. anyone have good ideas for low magic?
-Its a pity i barely did any of the oneshot id planned, but the final battle of epic randomness was fun.