PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Most Hated Video Game Characters

Drakevarg
2010-02-15, 11:03 PM
Because everyone loves lists. :smalltongue:

The name sums it up pretty well. Who are your top 5 least favorite characters in all of videogaming, and why?

Here's mine:

1- Kendra Daniels, Dead Space: After spending hours wandering around on an unnessicarily creepy ship trying not to be eaten by the kinds of things that your nightmares have nightmares about, you finally meet the only guy on the ship who isn't either trying to kill you or in the process of commiting suicide. He even helps you find the last working shuttle on board. So after you've finally set it up for takeoff, you head to the hangar to meet him at the shuttle and get out of this hellhole. Then...

...Kendra shoots him in the back, tells you she was a double agent all along, and takes of in the shuttle, leaving you alone on a zombie-infested spaceship. This is probably the only time I ever personally had a Heroic BSOD caused by a video game.

2- Loghain, Dragon Age: Origins: After fighting your way past half an army's worth of Darkspawn and one very large orge, you finally light the beacon of Ostagar. Cut to a shot of Loghain's huge army, set to rush in and save the day... then Loghain gives the order to retreat. As a result, Duncan and King Dude (can't remember his name, I call him King Dude because he's the kind of royalty you'd go and have drinks with after the battle) are dead, the Grey Wardens (all two of them) have been vilified, and Loghain is about to take the throne.

I've yet to beat the game myself (it belongs to my cousin, not me) but I will take great satisfaction in stabbing him in the face with a claymore.

3- Uncle Paulie, The Darkness: Besides generally making your life miserable, the dude sets off a bomb in your face, throws half the mafia and police force at you, acts like an arrogant punk the entire time, and SHOOTS YOUR GIRLFRIEND IN THE HEAD RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

The final confrontation with him was sadly unsatisfying, given how much he deserved what he got.

4- Lord Saddler, Resident Evil 4: Mostly because the entire events of the game were all his fault. Having to rescue Ashley every ten minutes was a pain as it is, but the man earns a place on my list by making an active effort to make my time in his presence as miserable as possible. First he kills Luis, aka "The Only Guy Not Trying To Kill You", right as he was about to hand you the antidote to the plague and get the damn plot over with, then walking off with so much as a hello. Then he kills Mike, aka "The First Real Advantage You've Had The Entire Game."

Lord Saddler killed Mike. Mike was cool. Lord Saddler was not cool. I killed Lord Saddler.

5- Emperor Strife, Soul Calibur III: This one also only made the list for being a world-class **** and making my life miserable. Oh, and he killed my mentor. And mindraped my friends. And had a stupid haircut.

Ultimately, I just killed him because I decided it was his fault that the game was so poorly balanced.

Cubey
2010-02-15, 11:10 PM
Any list like this is not complete without Algus from Final Fantasy Tactics. He doesn't start bad - a young squire who tried to rescue his abducted lord but got into trouble and had to be rescued himself, this time by you. And how does he repay you for this act of kindness?

By being a snobby, classist jerk who insults your best friend (for being a commoner and not a noble), leaves in a hissy fit, and later shoots the aforementioned best friend's sister dead, which was a more or less direct cause of a lot of Bad Stuff happening in the game.

Let us not forget Anomen from Baldur's Gate II. Arrogant, prissy jerk who loves nothing more than to praise himself and belittle others. He's not even that good of a priest! His only saving grace is that he can get better with certain plot events, but seriously - who'd be bothered to keep him in the party for that long?
Oh yeah, and he's the only possible romantic interest for female characters without modding the game.

13_CBS
2010-02-15, 11:13 PM
I'm...not entirely sure about the legality of hate threads. The last one I saw got locked by Roland. :smallconfused: You guys might wanna be careful.

Drakevarg
2010-02-15, 11:21 PM
Fair enough. No revenge fantasies and keep profanity to a minimum.* If this kind of thread is just flat out not allowed, have it locked. Problem solved.

*Or is it the other way around? :smallconfused:

SurlySeraph
2010-02-16, 12:03 AM
Let us not forget Anomen from Baldur's Gate II. Arrogant, prissy jerk who loves nothing more than to praise himself and belittle others. He's not even that good of a priest! His only saving grace is that he can get better with certain plot events, but seriously - who'd be bothered to keep him in the party for that long?
Oh yeah, and he's the only possible romantic interest for female characters without modding the game.

How can you mention Anomen without mentioning Saemon Havarian? He repeatedly screws you over, you have no choice but to cooperate with him every time even though you know you can't trust him, and unless you have extremely fast reflexes and foreknowledge of when to act you will never be able to get back at him.

EDIT: Oh, and that bastard from Fable II. The one who
kill-steals the final boss from you

golentan
2010-02-16, 12:05 AM
Two words.

"Hey! Listen!"

Callos_DeTerran
2010-02-16, 12:06 AM
Ambassador Udina from the Mass Effect universe, an entirely Renegade Shepard (first time I beat Mass Effect 1) who was generally a bad and racist person, felt entirely justified in saving the Council and appointing Anderson as Councilor just to spite Udina!

Temotei
2010-02-16, 12:07 AM
I am in shock that Cait Sith from Final Fantasy VII hasn't been mentioned.

13_CBS
2010-02-16, 12:08 AM
Ambassador Udina from the Mass Effect universe, an entirely Renegade Shepard (first time I beat Mass Effect 1) who was generally a bad and racist person, felt entirely justified in saving the Council and appointing Anderson as Councilor just to spite Udina!

"Anderson? Are you sure? He has a way of talking with his fists."

"Only with you, Udina, only with you."

:smallamused:

Speaking of ME, the blatantly pro-Human reporter is satisfying to deal with in pretty much any way: shut her down with your words or your fists.

I love the Renegade options so much.

"My voice must be heard--" *PAWNCH!*

"I've had enough of your snide insinuations." *PAWNCH!*

Hunter Noventa
2010-02-16, 12:13 AM
Any list like this is not complete without Algus from Final Fantasy Tactics. He doesn't start bad - a young squire who tried to rescue his abducted lord but got into trouble and had to be rescued himself, this time by you. And how does he repay you for this act of kindness?

By being a snobby, classist jerk who insults your best friend (for being a commoner and not a noble), leaves in a hissy fit, and later shoots the aforementioned best friend's sister dead, which was a more or less direct cause of a lot of Bad Stuff happening in the game.

This.

Also, the list is not complete without Luca Blight. The list of his atrocities is too long to mention here, and sadly most will not experiece it since Suikoden 2 is ultra rare and has yet to be released on PSN like it's prequel.

Sneak
2010-02-16, 12:48 AM

Squall takes my cake for Most Hated FF Character. Seriously, what a bitch.

Zevox
2010-02-16, 12:50 AM
The entire cast of Disgaea 2. They're all idiots to one degree or another, and not the amusing kind. The main character, Adell, is perhaps the worst of the lot. Especially since, in addition to being a world-class imbecile, he has an irritating catch-phrase that he never stops saying ("That's just my style."). (Yeah, I played Disgaea 2 for the gameplay, not the story.)

The cast of Final Fantasy 8 seemed to be moving quickly in that sort of direction as well, but I gave up on that game way too early to say for certain, since it lacked the redeeming factor of good gameplay. The Spoony One's review of it does seem to indicate they do indeed wind up just that irritating, though.

...hm, I'm having a hard time coming up with others. I tend not to hate characters unless they're poorly done and/or extremely annoying. A well-done villain, no matter how bat-**** insane, murderous, cold-bloodedly malicious, or whatever else they may be, at least gets my respect as a character, if not a person. I mean, in that sense I even liked Albedo (Xenosaga), and he was as crazy and messed up as they come.

Zevox

X2
2010-02-16, 12:52 AM
Louis from Left 4 Dead.

Why? Because he seems to have been hit with the awful AI stick more than the others. If I'm waiting inside the safe house and the other two follow suit Louis will just dawdle outside refusing to follow orders. He decides its a good time to go inside when the horde arrives. Nice... :smallannoyed:

Also his pronunciation of "pills" is annoying. "Grabbing peelz... :smalltongue:"

Starscream
2010-02-16, 12:59 AM
Mine:

* Navi. "Hey! Listen! Hey! Listen! Hey! Lis"- *SWAT!*

* The dog from Duck Hunt. There exist games on the internet solely devoted to shooting that giggling pain in the neck.

* Baby Mario. "WAAAAAHHHH!"

* Squall from FFVIII. Yeah, I'll give you something to brood about you whiny little...

* The Slylandro Probes from Star Control 2. At least until I get some hellbore cannons and shiva furnaces. Then who's laughing?!

Solaris
2010-02-16, 01:00 AM
This.

Also, the list is not complete without Luca Blight. The list of his atrocities is too long to mention here, and sadly most will not experiece it since Suikoden 2 is ultra rare and has yet to be released on PSN like it's prequel.

He made Sephiroth look like a frikkin' nun. I played Suikoden 2 before I played FF VII, so I had no idea why people thought ol' Sephi was even noteworthy as a villain.

I'd also like to put in a defense of Anomen and say "I kept him in the party long enough to scrounge up those redeeming features."

X2
2010-02-16, 01:02 AM
* The dog from Duck Hunt. There exist games on the internet solely devoted to shooting that giggling pain in the neck.

Damn it! How could I have forgotten that!

Starscream
2010-02-16, 01:10 AM
Damn it! How could I have forgotten that!

http://news.gotgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dog.jpg

He mocks you even now! None can escape his 8-bit laugh! Look upon pure evil and despair!

Solaris
2010-02-16, 01:30 AM
http://news.gotgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dog.jpg

He mocks you even now! None can escape his 8-bit laugh! Look upon pure evil and despair!

... I still can't take you seriously. I'm picturing a hyperactive Japanese schoolgirl with a high-pitched voice saying all that.

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 01:39 AM

Hey, Cait Sith was cool.

Now, Yuffie on the other hand...

Also, Otis from Dead Rising. STOP CALLING ME.

And Wallace Breen from Half-Life 2. I just hate him so much. Mostly because he's so well-written. The bastard.

Oh! And the advisor from Episode 2. You know the one. He's gonna pay.

Starscream
2010-02-16, 01:39 AM
... I still can't take you seriously. I'm picturing a hyperactive Japanese schoolgirl with a high-pitched voice saying all that.

...I really need to change this avatar.

Leliel
2010-02-16, 01:49 AM
Sofia Lamb from Bioshock 2. Dear god, words do not discribe how much of a depraved monster that woman is.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-16, 01:50 AM
How could the Baldur's Gate games be on here with no mention of Imoen?

That... freaking... voice... from BG1. It got a little better in BGII, but then she went all emogoth. It's only in TOB that she gets tolerable.

"Hah! You're a queer fellow!"

----------------------------

Now that I think about it Bodhi was pretty aggravating too. Mostly it was an attitude thing. Maybe it was just me, but she seemed very certain that she was by far the cleverest and most eloquent person in the room whenever she opened her mouth, but most of her rebuttals were some variation of "Or is it?"

That, and whenever you end a fight with her, she swaggers out as though she had everything under control, pretending that you weren't kicking her undead keister .25 seconds before the scripted dialog event triggered. Her only saving grace is that you actually get to kill her before the end of the game.

Starfols
2010-02-16, 01:55 AM
Hate on some Final Fantasy characters? Don't mind if I do!
Richard, Edge, Gau, Locke, Vincent, Cloud, Auron, Tidus :smallsmile:

Also, Fayt and Roddick from Star Ocean, and the entire cast of Chrono Trigger save Robo.

...I really need to change this avatar.

Honestly, nobody can take Deadpool seriously either :smalltongue:

Athaniar
2010-02-16, 02:13 AM
Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2. I hate Kreia. Nothing you say can change that. Right from the beginning I wanted to kill her, or at least leave her on some uninhabited word without oxygen.

Solaris
2010-02-16, 02:14 AM
Honestly, nobody can take Deadpool seriously either :smalltongue:

Well, yeah, but he's not a squeaky schoolgirl either.

Starfols
2010-02-16, 02:34 AM
Well, yeah, but he's not a squeaky schoolgirl either.

Deadpool isn't adorable and precious, either. I think we're at a standstill.

Kaez
2010-02-16, 02:49 AM
You know, if we were gonna say anything about FF characters, Seymour takes the cake in most annoying characters I ever got to lay my eyes on. Arrogant, power hungry, and on my first play through, I just wanted to beat his head in over and over, and pray he would remain dead

FOUR TIMES I FOUGHT HIM! (More if you take into account how poorly set up my characters were on the 3rd time I had to fight him. And that's the legit part of the game, you have to kill him 4 times! And little did I know that it seemed normal that people wouldn't just remain dead, which wasn't limited to people I killed myself, but others that wanted to be dead for the sake of gaining power.... wtf is up with that? (lets not start the undead vampire/mummy/lich/etc... argument here, just.... I don't even know where to go from there XD)

I suppose the Occuria from FFXII, while a nice plot device, annoyed me simply because we got very little back story regarding their involvement besides some stones and a sword XD

General Shepard from MW2 started to take the cake as pain in the ass.

And I guess the only other person who I hate from any game, Sakaki from .hack//G.U. (He wasn't as bad as Seymour, but he got in my way, and interfered way too many times)

*Edit* You know what,she may not have been a bad person, but Atoli annoyed me more than Sakaki (high pitched voice and annoying way she looked at anything we ever conversed with her at any point in the game)

*Edit II* I gotta stop thinking of characters to hate, and while he was designed to be the way he was and we're made to hate him, I thought Zeus from God of War II was an ass Oh btw I don't like what your doing as the God of War, no I won't take those horrible memories away, and while we're at it we'll take your powers away too, AND try to kill you, and if you survive that, I'm also your father muahaha

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-16, 02:58 AM
Sofia Lamb from Bioshock 2. Dear god, words do not discribe how much of a depraved monster that woman is.

Care to explain? :smallbiggrin:

Pronounceable
2010-02-16, 03:26 AM
Number one is the little bastard from Witcher. I already despise children, then I'm forced to coddle one in a game I'M PLAYING FOR FUN. Not to mention the unreasonable amount of relationship trouble he brings to Geralt. Extreme heavy spoiler, I know your very first urge to do in such occasions is to reflexively open spoilers, but DON'T do it now lest it utterly RUINS one of the greatest CRPGs ever for you:Schmuck baiting? Who, me?
I was all ecstatic and giddy for DAYS when I realized the final boss Geralt exterminated with extreme prejudice was his time travelling sorry ass. EXTRA EXTRA GIDDINESS for feeding his soul (or whatever it is that it does to souls) to the King of the Wild Hunt.

Then there's the whole cast Prince of Persia Warrior Within (except Dahaka who didn't speak). The Prince is crap, bosses are crapper, enemies crappest. Special mention goes to the psycho sadomasochistic slut sand ninja girl monster thingies. Another small respite can be given to Crows Guy, but every single character (AND the music) sucks and blows at the same time.

Shalebridge Cradle. Yes, it's a character. Also, WTF was that? How can such an artistically awesome level ruin a whole game, you say? Because it's a THIEF game. I'm NEITHER expecting, NOR appreciating a survival horror level in a game where I wish to steal the shinies and bop dim guards on the head. No matter how awesome a level it is, Cradle utterly ruins Thief3. I do not approve.

Frank Horrigan. I remember being very pissed at his repeated slaughter of various NPCs but years seem to have dulled the edge of my hate.

Germany in Civ games. Always attacks when least convenient. Damn you Bismarck! I have no love for Tokugawa either.

Leliel
2010-02-16, 03:48 AM
Care to explain? :smallbiggrin:

She made a Big Daddy shoot himself in fromt of his Little Sister. Who was also her biological daughter.

And this is the first thing she does, mind you.

Prime32
2010-02-16, 06:51 AM
Tingle! Tingle! Koolo-limpah! Become... overpriced!
http://www.411mania.com/game_screenshots/9333.jpg

Not only is the guy creepy (he's a middle-aged man who wants to be a fairy), but he charges so much for his map-related services (which are necessary for you to complete the game) that you have to upgrade your wallet just to carry enough money for his fee. In one game he'll actually show up and steal money if you wait too long to pick it up.

Kris Strife
2010-02-16, 07:12 AM
Sephiroth, both Final Fantasy VII and in the first Kingdom Hearts. FFVII should be obvious, on top of being white haired, evil bishonen pretty boy #842349234, and in the first Kingdom Hearts, for having a health bar that doesn't decrease at first.

Magus' mother, Queen Zeal. I hope I don't have to explain why I dispise her.

The rival from the GSC pokemon games. He steals one of the starters, is an even more arrogant prick than Gary was, and supposedly treats his pokemon poorly.

factotum
2010-02-16, 07:33 AM
I tend not to hate computer game characters that much. Ones I actively disliked? Well, pretty much your entire team in Mass Effect qualify, considering the only thing they seem to be good at is running face-first into enemy fire and dying...

Terraoblivion
2010-02-16, 07:53 AM
But cnsvnc, the survival horror element has always been present in the Thief series. A full third of the levels in the first game focused on running around haunted ruins fighting against ghosts and zombies you had no effective, easily accessible means of fighting. Thief 2 also had several maps where basically anything you met could kill you without you having any chance of fighting back, though that was weird mechanical monstrosities. Something like the cradle fits perfectly into the game universe as it had been presented up to that point and it doesn't do much to deviate from the gameplay formula either. And have you followed any of the plot of the games? The setting is pretty damn grim and dark things just exist in the corners. A haunted asylum/orphanage is no weirder than the ghosts, the monkeymen, the hag or the things Karras create.

Fri
2010-02-16, 07:58 AM
Actually, I think we must split the characters into two groups here.

One is, a character that we hate because we're supposed to be hating him. I mean, if we hate him, that means the writers/game designers did a good job on him, since it is his purpose. Example would be Luca Blight.

Another is, character that we're not supposed to be hating, but we hate him. On other word, where the writers/game designers failed. Example would be... well, squall, if you hate him. Sephiroth actually might get into here for some people. He's hated not because what the writers intended, but because things that's supposed to make him interesting.

pita
2010-02-16, 08:03 AM
Jayna Proudmoore, of Warcraft. Blech.
Also, Samir Duran. He's the perfect example of a character completely and obviously untrustworthy that everyone trusts, and ends up betraying everyone, for a goal not even in the core game (And yes, I realize there's a secret mission, but I'm not nearly good enough to get to it).

Drakevarg
2010-02-16, 08:09 AM
Actually, I think we must split the characters into two groups here.

One is, a character that we hate because we're supposed to be hating him. I mean, if we hate him, that means the writers/game designers did a good job on him, since it is his purpose. Example would be Luca Blight.

Another is, character that we're not supposed to be hating, but we hate him. On other word, where the writers/game designers failed. Example would be... well, squall, if you hate him. Sephiroth actually might get into here for some people. He's hated not because what the writers intended, but because things that's supposed to make him interesting.

Hence why my list was all "supposed to hate them" characters. There's a huge difference between "I want to backhand the little twit for being obnoxious" and "I want to torture the bastard for a month straight, rip out their intestines, hang them with a noose made out of their intestines, then give them a Cambodian Necktie and a Blood Eagle for RUINING MY CHARACTERS LIFE."

Eldan
2010-02-16, 08:17 AM
How could the Baldur's Gate games be on here with no mention of Imoen?

That... freaking... voice... from BG1. It got a little better in BGII, but then she went all emogoth. It's only in TOB that she gets tolerable.

"Hah! You're a queer fellow!"

And here I thought this was just one of those cases of horrible dubbing in the german version. Yay.

Optimystik
2010-02-16, 08:17 AM
Just remember that only Americans Hate Tingle (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle)

Prime32
2010-02-16, 08:20 AM
Just remember that only Americans Hate Tingle (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle)I'm Irish. :smallwink:

kamikasei
2010-02-16, 08:35 AM
I think I saw a "generic type" suggestion on the first page, so: Cats (http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Cat).

Tirian
2010-02-16, 08:46 AM
The biggest video game Scrappy Doo I've ever seen is Roger S. Huxley from SO3. Time actually slows down during his cutscenes so that you are doubly bombarded by his annoying antics and completely useless dialog.

Also, anybody who named a Final Fantasy character in this thread is clearly lucky enough to have never played FFIX, because otherwise Quina would be at the top of every list.

I'll throw in Waka from Okami, Elm from .hack, amd Captain Quark from the Ratchet and Clank series just to fill out the list. But I'm sure that the dog from Duck Hunt would be in my nightmares if I had ever played that game.

Tengu_temp
2010-02-16, 09:06 AM
Qara and Bishop from Neverwinter Nights 2. The former is a chaotic stupid arrogant bitch with no redeeming qualities and horrible AI (stop fireballing me!), the latter is an evil character without any of the snark or magnificence that makes evil characters likable - he's just a thug.

Morrigan from Dragon Age. She's the perfect example of how bad writers create "strong" female characters - bitchy and unfriendly towards everyone, completely selfish and liking you only if you are equally selfish, even though in many cases this selfishness comes to bite you in the ass, and of course wearing extremely stripperific clothes despite of that. How did this character appear in a game with otherwise good cast?

Listing every major Warcraft/Starcraft character that annoys me would take ages.

Hey, Cait Sith was cool.

Now, Yuffie on the other hand...

I beg to differ, Yuffie is the best FF7 character for me. Cait Sith was okay.

Cubey
2010-02-16, 09:13 AM
I've played all Final Fantasies sans XI, and finished all up to IX, and I didn't find any party members evoking annoyance or hatred in me. Not even Quina. I like Yuffie.

Still hate Algus though.

Now, because the OP said the thread is about purposefully hated characters, let us bring someone who really deserves being here.

Asakim Dowen from Super Robot Wars Z.

An extremely two-faced individual. He has interest in acting nice with one of the possible protagonists you can pick in this game (Rand Travis), so he gives a not-so-negative impression and even helps the hero a few times. Still a definite antagonist, but more of an anti-hero sort. And then you play as Setsuko Ohara and discover what Asakim was doing offscreen...

Spoiled in case someone wants to play SRW Z. Please do. It's a great game.
Unlike with Rand, Asakim has interest in tormenting Setsuko. So what he does? He kills off her two friends, he beats her up into unconsciousness and possibly rapes her, pretends to be one of the now-dead friends (also a possible romantic interest before he bit the dust) only to reveal himself as being Asakim all along, and even persuades the alternate universe versions of the two that Setsuko is evil and needs to be stopped/killed.

Why all this? He wants her to suffer and hate him, as that will activate her special ability (which is fueled by despair) and make her kill him. As she is the only person who is capable of doing that. So, if you decide to kill the bastard off - he wins!

Asakim still has his fans though. I really hope they're the kind who love to hate him, and not the kind who genuinely likes him as a person!

Haruki-kun
2010-02-16, 09:17 AM

*snip*

Not only is the guy creepy (he's a middle-aged man who wants to be a fairy), but he charges so much for his map-related services (which are necessary for you to complete the game) that you have to upgrade your wallet just to carry enough money for his fee. In one game he'll actually show up and steal money if you wait too long to pick it up.

I HATE that guy! :smallmad:

I hate it when games ask you to fork over enormous amounts of game money in order to beat the actual game. I mean, collecting 40 Rupees in Kokiri Forest to buy a shield is one thing, but gimme a break! You have to pay several times your wallet size to this guy!

Oslecamo
2010-02-16, 09:49 AM
I HATE that guy! :smallmad:

I hate it when games ask you to fork over enormous amounts of game money in order to beat the actual game. I mean, collecting 40 Rupees in Kokiri Forest to buy a shield is one thing, but gimme a break! You have to pay several times your wallet size to this guy!

I actualy didn't mind it that much.

This is, Tingle had to do something to survive untill becoming a 40 year old man. I see him as some kind of master archeologist with a disturbing cosplay hobby. If he demands a king's ransom to decypher ancient maps, so be it. He has some right to be excentric as he's the best at what he does.

And hey, it's not like WW didn't try to burrow you under thousands of rupees.

Now who's the character I more hated in Zelda? Beedle. Why? Because he puts you in this side-quest to buy stuff from him, and then the final reward is just a compliment.

Terraoblivion
2010-02-16, 09:59 AM
I have to ask you Tirian, what is wrong with Waka? I mean he wasn't the bets character in Okami, but i neither found him annoying nor did i get the impression that he was meant to be hated.

Starfols
2010-02-16, 10:12 AM
Hence why my list was all "supposed to hate them" characters. There's a huge difference between "I want to backhand the little twit for being obnoxious" and *snip*

Um, ew. Trying to eat here. Was that really necessary?

Also, anybody who named a Final Fantasy character in this thread is clearly lucky enough to have never played FFIX, because otherwise Quina would be at the top of every list.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af132/starfols/rockdrivinghead.jpg

I beg to differ, Yuffie is the best FF7 character for me. Cait Sith was okay.

If I could somehow change the roster to be Cait Sith, Yuffie, and Red XIII, I would, and I would love the game for it.

desertfox999
2010-02-16, 10:13 AM
Letterman countdown style:

5) Glitching Cortana: "It asked, and I answered. For a moment of safety, I loosed damnation on the stars." "I don't care, you stupid b*tch. I just got killed because of you."

4) Piranha Plants: "Ooh, a pipe!" *jump* *chomp*

3) The helicopter in Sift Heads 3: "I'm a badass assassin with a Mustang who just fought through sewers, a police station, and a building full of bad guys, but I don't have a #$@#ING ROCKET LAUNCHER?!"

2) Lucius: "I developed an awesome plan that involves getting people to willingly build me a tower that can destroy the world, right after I torture them and kill some kids. I'm evil!"

And clocking in at number 1,

1) Ashley Graham: LEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!

(What more needs to be said?)

BRC
2010-02-16, 10:16 AM
Also, Samir Duran. He's the perfect example of a character completely and obviously untrustworthy that everyone trusts, and ends up betraying everyone, for a goal not even in the core game (And yes, I realize there's a secret mission, but I'm not nearly good enough to get to it).
Yeah, that was one of the biggest "WHAT" moment's for me.

Dugalls Goal is to take over the Overmind, which requires fighting through abunch of Zerg. They find a building that can disrupt the zerg.
Duran, the local guy who joined with the UED on an "Enemy of my Enemy" basis and was given the rank of Captain, says "We can't let this be around once we take over the Overmind, lets destroy it now!"
Alexi Stukov, Dugall's second in command and lifelong friend says "This might be useful, let's use it".

Dugall agrees with Duran...

Tirian
2010-02-16, 10:26 AM
I have to ask you Tirian, what is wrong with Waka? I mean he wasn't the bets character in Okami, but i neither found him annoying nor did i get the impression that he was meant to be hated.

He does absolutely nothing for me. He's not your enemy, but he's the toughest (mandatory, at least) fight in the game to me. He gives not-cryptic prophecies that don't tell you anything useful even if you do understand them. I just get no motivation for why he is helping you one moment and then screwing you over the next. Maybe it'll click the next time I play, but for now it's just a waste of my time to watch non-skippable cutscenes that annoy me.

(And, to be honest, a big slice of not liking Waka probably belongs on Issun's shoulders as well because those cutscenes don't make anyone look sensible.)

Zeful
2010-02-16, 10:28 AM

In his first appearances he talks down to you, fights you only to gauge your strength, later insulting that strength, and dispense annoying prophecies. After that he stops fighting you entirely, points out that he's powerful enough to do your job for you (which he later does, and having the gall to say that you're late), locks you in with Orochi and laughs at you. And that's only half the game

Almost the entire first half of the game could have been avoided if Waka wasn't such a lazy jerk. Waka would have been more palatable if he were a giant malevolent fortune cookie.

Kris Strife
2010-02-16, 10:33 AM
Hm... Evil pastries... Theres a video game idea!

Tirian
2010-02-16, 10:36 AM
Hm... Evil pastries... Theres a video game idea!

"Not baked goods, Professor, baked BADS!"

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 11:22 AM
Richard, Edge, Gau, Locke, and the entire cast of Chrono Trigger save Robo.

:furious:

Who's Richard?

Prime32
2010-02-16, 11:31 AM
I appear to have overlooked that post.

Which translation, Starfols, the old one or the new one?

Drakyn
2010-02-16, 12:08 PM
For characters I'm supposed to hate, I'll put Irenicus and Bodhi from BG2 fairly high on the list. Irenicus's picture is in the dictionary under "callous," "shutmouthed," and "uncaring" and Bodhi, as was said earlier, seems to have a bad case of "Your beating me to within an inch of my life means nothing :smallamused::smallbiggrin:".
Beyond those two, I find it very hard to hate most bad guys, who are usually the vast majority of people you're supposed to hate in a game. Most of the time I'll either think they're too interesting or they won't "feel" evil enough (example: Saren - he's simply too neat for me to hold a grudge, and doesn't get enough horrible-stuff-on-screen-time)/are too cartoony to actually hate (example: Darth Malak - he fits the game like a glove, but he's too gloriously cheesy to feel downright hateful).
Villains that I'm meant to hate but loathe for entirely different reasons include Arthas/Kerrigan (same person, practically) from Warcraft/Starcraft respectively. Both hijack the position of big bad from a far smarter and more interesting opponent through various contrived means, both are improbably overpowered, and both seem to be in their positions precisely because *apparently* the best way to up the ante on a bad guy is to make it a supercharged human. Arthas by the end of WotLK's gone through a whole other load of ridiculousness that makes him even more absurd, but I won't go into that again. Besides, I have full confidence that Kerrigan'll one-up it in SC2.
In the category of I'm-not-sure-if-I'm-meant-to-loathe-or-not: Kreia. She's so unlikable that I'm downright sure you were meant to feel distaste for her, but then I remember how any arguments you bring to bear against her are restricted mainly to "you're wrong CUZ YOU ARE WAAH STOP BEING MEAN" or "BO-RING I WANNA KILL PUPPIES." And all of them make as much impact on her as a dishrag on a brick wall. When I have an NPC with their own agenda who isn't necessarily a tagalong sidekick for the main character, I call that fun. When I have a side character with their own agenda that I'm mandated to bring along and can't kick out because of plot who's a major **** and persists in bossing me around and can't be disagreed with without sounding like a childish twit while becoming improbably powerful outside of when I'm controlling it, I call that a lousy DMPC, videogame edition.

Solaris
2010-02-16, 12:19 PM
I tend not to hate computer game characters that much. Ones I actively disliked? Well, pretty much your entire team in Mass Effect qualify, considering the only thing they seem to be good at is running face-first into enemy fire and dying...

... Wait, lower-ranked guys aren't supposed to block bullets with their faces so you don't have to? My sergeants lied to me!

Honestly, though, I've never had the problem of my NPCs getting massacred in either game. I die way faster than they do. It helps if you order them into good cover positions to provide a base of fire and then you go flank the enemy, or vice-versa.

Timberwolf
2010-02-16, 12:25 PM
Mario and Sonic for omnipresent irritatingness.

Actually, pretty much any signature character for the above reason.

Anomen and Squall, as mentioned previously for being whiny pretty boys.

Giant Brother
2010-02-16, 12:32 PM
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv135/Souji90/Persona%204/180px-P4-MitsuoKubo.jpg

"Hehehe... hi, Yuki...."

You CANNOT tell me you don't want to toss this creeper into a giant vat of sulphiric acid. He reminds me of every single creepy loner kid I saw in high school. Combined. Not to mention his character dungeon just makes you go.... just...

AN RPG GAME WHERE YOU EARN EXPERIENCE POINTS FOR KILLING DEFENSELESS HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS!?

*cough* Right... recomposed...

Zevox
2010-02-16, 02:22 PM

Oh, gotta agree with this. I am so glad that he hasn't been in a Zelda game for some time now.

Zevox

Terraoblivion
2010-02-16, 02:35 PM
Mitsuo was definitely nasty and creepy and deserving of hate for his behavior. The real villain of that game is also quite worthy of hate, everyone who has played the game knows why and if you haven't, spoiling it would be pure evil. Also, go play Persona 4 everyone.

puppyavenger
2010-02-16, 03:01 PM
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv135/Souji90/Persona%204/180px-P4-MitsuoKubo.jpg

what game is the from anyway?

Anyway, on-topic, I have to say either Kerrigan/Arthus or Duran from their respective Blizzard titles. Kerrigan/Arthus because I want to punch them i nthe face for being idiots, and I vastly prefer the people they replace. Duran because, as mentioned above, WTF, why does Dugalle listen to him?

Prime32
2010-02-16, 03:01 PM
Oh, gotta agree with this. I am so glad that he hasn't been in a Zelda game for some time now.

Zevoxhttp://www.lanpartyguide.com/zelda/tingle_rupee.jpg
It's real.

Zevox
2010-02-16, 03:05 PM
It's real.
I know. But it also never has been, and likely never will be, released in the US, which means I'll never see it. And wouldn't want to. So as long as he stays out of Zelda games, I'll never have to see him again.

what game is the from anyway?
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

Zevox

Prime32
2010-02-16, 03:16 PM
I know. But it also never has been, and likely never will be, released in the US, which means I'll never see it. And wouldn't want to. So as long as he stays out of Zelda games, I'll never have to see him again.And yet, I've seen it in shops here. Okay, now the publishers are just trolling.

Telonius
2010-02-16, 03:23 PM
Time for a blast from the past!

5. Rush the Robo-Dog from the Mega Man series. I don't know why, but he always annoyed me.
4. Soda Popinski from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Seriously, guys. He's drunk. You can admit it. Just name him Seagram Stolichnaya and be done with it. And when you win, you can get the satisfaction of having beat the snot out of somebody who's one shot away from under the table! Yeah, real great victory there.
3. Old Man from Legend of Zelda. That old dude was just asking for a sword to the face.
2. Toad (i.e. Mushroom Retainer) from Super Mario Bros. I have yet to find any message quite so annoying as "Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!"
1. The stupid dog from Duck Hunt. I wasted more shots on that #^&*( than I can count.

autoglassmaster
2010-02-16, 03:25 PM
Two words.

"Hey! Listen!"

QFT

Also, I loathe every single character in the Harvest Moon franchise, but maybe that's just me.

Zevox
2010-02-16, 03:31 PM
And yet, I've seen it in shops here. Okay, now the publishers are just trolling.
Yep, apparently Tingle is liked more in Europe than in the US, since his games were released there, but never here.

Zevox

Dacia Brabant
2010-02-16, 03:44 PM
Locke, and the entire cast of Chrono Trigger save Robo.

Seconded. Maybe Starfols meant to say the cast of Chrono Cross? Now that would be reasonable.

Anyway, I think it would be hard to hate a character more than I hate MOMO from Xenosaga, and it's not so much that I hate her (although I don't like having children as major characters in voice-acted games, they almost always sound annoying) as I hate how the designers objectified her to please a certain fanbase. :smallyuk:

Chaelos
2010-02-16, 03:54 PM
Rosh from Jedi Academy. If it wasn't bad enough that he was voiced by the guy who did Max from A Goofy Movie, you have to put up with his stupid antics throughout the game (including having to save him after he's tried to kill you several times). It was, however, consolation that you were given the choice of to kill him towards the end.

Kreia from KOTOR II. As if I didn't hate railroading already, it's even worse when you're saddled with annoying "wise" NPC's who constantly spout off "wisdom" that you, the PC, can never, ever argue against or even question.

Fargoth from Morrowind. No, you can't have your ring back. Now go away.

Grobnar from NWN 2. His voice is even more annoying than the aforementioned guy who does Rosh, but he's "zany" and "fun" in a way that maybe Spongebob Squarepands could appreciate, but I can't. [Honorable Mention: Qara, who was equally as uninteresting, annoying, and irrelevant as Grobnar, but who was much less significant in her vocal contributions throughout the campaign.]

Kerrigan from Starcraft. I really resented having to end the Broodwar campaigns by sealing a Zerg victory, especially because I couldn't stand Kerrigan--either as a Ghost or as "Queen of Blades". By proxy, whenever the rest of the characters in that game decided to trust her/work alongside her, I was sorely tempted to bang my head against a wall.

deuxhero
2010-02-16, 04:00 PM
snip

I am pretty damn sure he was intended to be a creep, now the boss fight... He wasn't even that hard (for an Atlus game anyways), he just takes FOREVER

Discounting people you were meant to hate,

The cast of KotOR 1 save Jolee Bindo (maybe HK-47, but he is more a "not hate" than actually liking Jolee), for having all the depth of cardboard cutouts.
The cast of NWN2 OC, for being so stereotypical and that the one semi-intresting character (If only for the fact that they are aware that the OC's story is horrible) get's killed halfway through in a world where res magic is everywhere with no explanation for why she can't be brought back!? What the hell.
Neku from The World Ends With You, for force choking people for very poor reasons (you entered into a blind agreement with the self admitted villain, nice...), the "become a non-conformist by acting exactly like CAT" thing revealed in week 2 with no hint of how hypocritical it is. the compete personality 180 (Gradual change? What's that?) the horrible brokenness of the "trust your partner" aesop in the end also annoyed me, but that is another bit.
Yuzu from Devil Survivor, mostly for the bad ending thing, but also the shallowness from a series that normally has interesting female characters

Can't thing of a fith right now.

Indon
2010-02-16, 04:11 PM
...and the entire cast of Chrono Trigger save Robo.
I can understand how you might hate Frog as an obnoxous paladin-type. Or Marle as, well, Marle (I love the game, and I still think she's a bit obnoxous). Or Magus as being overly emo. Or Ayla as someone who doesn't really fit in the group. Or possibly even Lucca as a know-it-all.

But how do you hate Crono?

Solaris
2010-02-16, 04:20 PM
And yet, I've seen it in shops here. Okay, now the publishers are just trolling.

... This means the Internet has infected the real world. The lolcat apocalypse is at hand.

Starfols
2010-02-16, 04:50 PM

Who's Richard?

Richard is the Dragoon from II who was in the party waaaaay too long for how important he was.

I appear to have overlooked that post.

Which translation, Starfols, the old one or the new one?

I played the SNES one. It is my least favorite game of all time.

Prime32
2010-02-16, 04:52 PM
I played the SNES one. It is my least favorite game of all time.*spits out coffee*
What about the music, man? :smalleek: Or the animation?

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-16, 05:02 PM
If you haven't noticed, Starfols and me enjoy ****ing in other people's coffee. :smalltongue:

Drakevarg
2010-02-16, 05:06 PM
Hard to believe I forgot about Kreia. Also high on my list would probably be G0-T0. (You're kidding. I am NOT going to allow some glorified beachball to freeload on my ship, ESPECIALLY not after you've threatened me with a bomb. That's a one-way ticket out the airlock immeadiately before hyperspace.) Or the ending of KOTOR II, if events can somehow be characters.

Lesse... whatshername, the emmisary from jerk-town in NWN2. Her damned scheming and red tape pissed me off more than you could believe. Explain to me why I can't just behead her in the middle of my trial? Sure, it wouldn't help my case, but it'd be worth it.

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 05:15 PM
I can understand how you might hate Frog as an obnoxous paladin-type.

Dude, Frog was awesome.

Richard is the Dragoon from II who was in the party waaaaay too long for how important he was.

Ricard? I liked him. He was the first Dragoon, the first Highwind for Pete's sake!

I played the SNES one. It is my least favorite game of all time.

http://www.americanmidolblog.com/uploaded_images/cowell-incredulous-715496.jpg

Prime32
2010-02-16, 05:17 PM
Dude, Frog was awesome.Frog was GAR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wLRoekfKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14NWcyX_uuI

So was Magus.
http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/MagusLair0.jpg
If history is to change, let it change!
If the world is to be destroyed, let it be destroyed!
If it is my fate to die, then I must simply laugh.
I'm coming, Lavos!

Starfols
2010-02-16, 05:19 PM
Seconded. Maybe Starfols meant to say the cast of Chrono Cross? Now that would be reasonable.

Oh dear, looks like I've stumbled upon a hornets nest :smalleek:.
Chrono Cross? PO-SHU-SHU!!! I love those guys.

I can understand how you might hate Frog as an obnoxous paladin-type. Or Marle as, well, Marle (I love the game, and I still think she's a bit obnoxous). Or Magus as being overly emo. Or Ayla as someone who doesn't really fit in the group. Or possibly even Lucca as a know-it-all.

But how do you hate Crono?

Even for a silent protagonist, he's such a non-entity that he might as well not have been there. He makes no active additions to the story that couldn't have been filled by Lucca. Compare to Ness (Earthbound) or Felix (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)

Also, some of his sprites are awkward looking.

*spits out coffee*
What about the music, man? :smalleek: Or the animation?

Nuh-uh. The animations were excruciatingly long, and unimpressive for SNES graphics. Donkey Kong Country came out the year before, there's no excuse.

I will admit that some of the tracks were pretty good, but the ones I continued hearing for most of the game weren't.

If you haven't noticed, Starfols and me enjoy ****ing in other people's coffee. :smalltongue:

I'm not sure what you enjoy doing to coffee, but I will say we're kindred spirits, and I love you a big huggy bunch thank you kindly for understanding me :smallsmile:.

Mikeavelli
2010-02-16, 05:20 PM
... This means the Internet has infected the real world. The lolcat apocalypse is at hand.

/B/rothers, we have now entered Ragnarofl, also called Catnarok, or the Twilight of the Lulz. when Tacgnol and Longcat will rise up from their respective slumbers to do battle and user in the end of the internets.

The Mods of Aesir will do battle with the Trolls, and the whole of the internets will be covered with flame wars. We march with Lolki, For Honor, and lulz!

Prime32
2010-02-16, 05:27 PM
Nuh-uh. The animations were excruciatingly long, and unimpressive for SNES graphics. Donkey Kong Country came out the year before, there's no excuse.Sure, that prerendered stuff in games like DKC and Super Mario RPG was shiny, but it didn't have so much character.

As for length, Sephiroth would like to have a word with you.

I will admit that some of the tracks were pretty good, but the ones I continued hearing for most of the game weren't.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d--BmgpL_Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWSB3qL5qs8

Even the intro to the game was awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqTZfknDVes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHcrR7RaPMQ

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d--BmgpL_Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWSB3qL5qs8

Okay, I have to find the rest of this. This is great.

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-16, 05:43 PM
/B/rothers, we have now entered Ragnarofl, also called Catnarok, or the Twilight of the Lulz. when Tacgnol and Longcat will rise up from their respective slumbers to do battle and user in the end of the internets.

The Mods of Aesir will do battle with the Trolls, and the whole of the internets will be covered with flame wars. We march with Lolki, For Honor, and lulz!

Never. Do. That. Again. :smallannoyed:

Prime32
2010-02-16, 05:44 PM
Okay, I have to find the rest of this. This is great.You should like the stuff from these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRcLbdujj4) then.

Starfols
2010-02-16, 05:49 PM
Sure, that prerendered stuff in games like DKC and Super Mario RPG was shiny, but it didn't have so much character.

Fair enough. How about Ogre Battle, Romancing SaGa III, Secret of Evermore, FF VI(edit: Your criticism is valid enough; I'll take it off the list), Ys III, Tales of Phantasia etc.? Those all had better graphics, imho, and lacked the painfully long battle animations. They also came out before CT did.

As for length, Sephiroth would like to have a word with you.

I never thought I would be defending Sephiroth :smallamused:. Sephiroth had one move that took .7 of the time it takes to make a sandwich to cast. In CT every darn move was well over 6 seconds, especially on the later power levels.

As for music, I hated the battle theme, all of the world themes (except 12,000 B.C.) and a lot of the cutscene specific music.

Wardog
2010-02-16, 05:52 PM
Anomen?

Imoen?

Pah!

How can you bring up Baldur's Gate and not mention Noober?

Hey! Hi! I'm Noober. Nice place, huh?

Hey! Killed any monsters yet?

Hey! Ever been to Baldur's Gate? I've been to Baldur's Gate.

Hey! Ugh, I think I stepped in something.

Hey! Everyone in town used to throw rocks at me and say I was annoying.

Hey! What time is it?

Hey! I haven't had a conversation this long in, well... ever!

Hey! What's that big weapon for?

Hey! Those colors look pretty stoopid on you...

Hey! I once knew this guy named Dilby. He threw rocks at me too. Are you gonna throw rocks at me?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Prime32
2010-02-16, 05:57 PM
Fair enough. How about Ogre Battle, Romancing SaGa III, FF VI, Ys III, Tales of Phantasia etc.? Those all had better graphics, imho, and lacked the painfully long battle animations. They also came out before CT did.
FF6 had a rather blocky style for PCs, and the hyperdetailed giant painting style of enemies was rather jarring (especially when characters switched from one to the other). And enemy sprites were entirely static. While the map art was good, the boundaries between tiles were more visible than CT.

One other bonus for CT: no random battles.

Just wanted to point out a game called Treasure of the Rudras (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFvEGtiU5eI) while I'm at it. It's unclear whether it or Chrono Trigger was the last game Square made for the SNES.

The spells in the game were created by entering words. You could figure out patterns of syllables you could combine to create certain effects, and even copy spells you see enemies use against you.

Graphics are similar to FF6 in style, but with more animation, and some 3D effects like the ones in some Chrono Trigger attack animations ("Dark Matter - Magus's strongest attack!").

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 05:59 PM
You should like the stuff from these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRcLbdujj4) then.

I'll check it out. I love Atonement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYoIMJFranM) and the Chrono Symphonic (http://chrono.ocremix.org/) remix album.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-16, 06:29 PM
I don't usually look for things to hate in videogames, and I don't know if I can list them in an order of hateness, but here's one video game character that I think I hate pretty strongly.

Alistair Tenpenny, of Fallout 3: Man is not just a bigot, but a crazy bigot too. You shoot people with a sniper rifle from your balcony for fun?! You want to blow up one the only bastions of civilization in the Capitol Wasteland just so you can watch the mushroom cloud?! What the hell is wrong with you?! It felt good to put a combat shotgun to his head and pull the trigger. And then I stole his suit.

Dragero
2010-02-16, 06:43 PM
Two words.

"Hey! Listen!"

I.......I......I......THOUGHT YOU WHERE DEAD!!!

*Sound of a mind imploding*

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 06:50 PM
I don't usually look for things to hate in videogames, and I don't know if I can list them in an order of hateness, but here's one video game character that I think I hate pretty strongly.

Alistair Tenpenny, of Fallout 3: Man is not just a bigot, but a crazy bigot too. You shoot people with a sniper rifle from your balcony for fun?! You want to blow up one the only bastions of civilization in the Capitol Wasteland just so you can watch the mushroom cloud?! What the hell is wrong with you?! It felt good to put a combat shotgun to his head and pull the trigger. And then I stole his suit.

Tenpenny Tower quest spoilers ahead.
After I did the quest, I actually found I hated Roy Phillips more.

Don't get me wrong, Tenpenny was a bastard, and I killed him good. But after that, I went through the quest, convincing all of the bigoted humans that Roy and the other ghouls could live with them. When I was through, all the people who would've been obstacles to peace in the tower were gone, and the ghouls were free to move in. I went on my merry way, satisfied that I had done a good deed.

Imagine my surprise when I came back to discover that Roy and his buddy Michael had gleefully murdered the entire human population of Tenpenny Tower, including sweet old Margaret Primrose and the irreplaceable Herbert Dashwood.

My revenge was quick and merciless.

In the end, only Bessie Lynn was left alive in Tenpenny Tower.

Dacia Brabant
2010-02-16, 07:47 PM
You should like the stuff from these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRcLbdujj4) then.

Yeah those are pretty good. I'm a big fan of what the Chrono Resurrection project was able to do too. Cases in point: Corridors of Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM9OfRWbgJo); Schala/Sara's Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rED6ulas-hA). Too bad they got cancelled. :smallfrown:

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-16, 07:58 PM
Anomen?

Imoen?

Pah!

How can you bring up Baldur's Gate and not mention Noober?

Hey! Hi! I'm Noober. Nice place, huh?

Hey! Killed any monsters yet?

Hey! Ever been to Baldur's Gate? I've been to Baldur's Gate.

Hey! Ugh, I think I stepped in something.

Hey! Everyone in town used to throw rocks at me and say I was annoying.

Hey! What time is it?

Hey! I haven't had a conversation this long in, well... ever!

Hey! What's that big weapon for?

Hey! Those colors look pretty stoopid on you...

Hey! I once knew this guy named Dilby. He threw rocks at me too. Are you gonna throw rocks at me?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Hey! What about now?

Noober and Neeber (the BGII version of Noober) don't count. You only have to put up with them for however long it takes you to kill them - usually less than one round. Heck, I attacked Noober in front of a bunch of NPC guards and they helped me kill him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe I forgot Rosh from Jedi Academy. Apparently killing a chronically backstabbing little b*tch and ensuring mission security for the loyal members of the Jedi Order counts as going to the dark side. After he acts like a butthole through the opening missions (including pulling a "prank" that could have killed you), turns on you, tries to kill you for real, and then sends you a distress beacon so you can bail him out when he gets tired of the dark side, you're supposed to believe him when he says he hasn't led you into a trap, even though he's actually led you into a trap. Alora *is* waiting for you! This *is* just a distraction to keep you away from Korriban as long as possible! But none of that matters because Rosh is really sorry... that you're still alive. :smallyuk:

Apparently the New Jedi Order is still figuring out that fine line between great mercy and total stupidity.

Alora and Tavion are pretty aggravating too, since they've essentially got the same problem as Bodhi. "Sure, I have no friends and you beat my *** into the ground the last three times we met, but I'm still way better than you."

Solaris
2010-02-16, 08:30 PM
Tenpenny Tower quest spoilers ahead.
After I did the quest, I actually found I hated Roy Phillips more.

Don't get me wrong, Tenpenny was a bastard, and I killed him good. But after that, I went through the quest, convincing all of the bigoted humans that Roy and the other ghouls could live with them. When I was through, all the people who would've been obstacles to peace in the tower were gone, and the ghouls were free to move in. I went on my merry way, satisfied that I had done a good deed.

Imagine my surprise when I came back to discover that Roy and his buddy Michael had gleefully murdered the entire human population of Tenpenny Tower, including sweet old Margaret Primrose and the irreplaceable Herbert Dashwood.

My revenge was quick and merciless.

In the end, only Bessie Lynn was left alive in Tenpenny Tower.

You were kinder than I was.

The Blackbird
2010-02-16, 08:37 PM
Two words.

"Hey! Listen!"

This. Oh gods just this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duRO3noyAKU)

autoglassmaster
2010-02-16, 08:40 PM
Gah, now you're making me think of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yqHaYIIbLM) >.<

Nerocite
2010-02-16, 09:18 PM
Pac-Man: "Waka waka waka!"

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 09:41 PM

I downloaded the album. It's really good. That cover art leaves a bit to be desired, though. Is that supposed to be Marle? She looks like she's 8! And has a mosquito bite where her nose should be. And has a tiny misshapen arm.

Pronounceable
2010-02-16, 10:46 PM
Hey, I'd forgotten Rosh. There's no character in the galaxy far far away who's a more obnoxious and worthless twit than him. Surpasses both Darth Whiner and JJ Dinks.

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-16, 10:46 PM
Two words.

"Hey! Listen!"

The true Zelda fans, like me, liked Navi.

What? Navi is cute!

Thane of Fife
2010-02-16, 10:52 PM
Maybe I'm weird, because I like both Navi and Tingle - I can't even see what people dislike about them so much.

As for who I loathe....

Some of the Desian leaders from Tales of Symphonia really made me mad, though I have a hard time remembering who they were. In fact, all of the Desians were pretty much jerks.

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 10:55 PM
Replaying No More Heroes reminded me of another - Holly Summers. QUIT SHOOTING MISSILES AT ME

Sneak
2010-02-16, 11:10 PM
Replaying No More Heroes reminded me of another - Holly Summers. QUIT SHOOTING MISSILES AT ME

Oh, man, some of the bosses' taunts got SO ANNOYING during long fights... :smallsigh:

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-16, 11:12 PM

What? Navi is cute!
But she's just a mote of tinkly light that's actually a clever disguise for a help menu that insults you not attacking the boss's glowing and pulsating weak spot.

Fawkes
2010-02-16, 11:36 PM
Oh, man, some of the bosses' taunts got SO ANNOYING during long fights... :smallsigh:

GAAAAAH! I just spent like half an hour fighting Bad Girl, got her health so low that I thought she would die any hit now, and she hit me with one of her stupid clone guys! I HAD DODGED EVERY OTHER ONE SHE HIT THAT FIGHT

D6 of Doom
2010-02-17, 02:08 AM
dont know the npc's name....but here is the set-up

warhammer online----greenskin starting area
1) theres a quest where you open barrels in the water...out pops a dwarf you then kill
2) you get catapulted to top of a huge wall
3) theres a quest where you stuff unconscious dwarves into barrels and drop barrels into water below---hey thats where the barrels in step 1 come from kewl!!
4) you finish all quests at top of wall and NPC says "take the path to the bottom, but its a long walk. Unless you can think of a quicker way down"

so lets review....you stuff dwarves into barrels and drop em into the water....you kill those dwarves after you open the barrels...it must be safe to jump down and land in the water....after all, the dwarves in barrels live through it----GERONIMO!!!!!

SPLAT!!!!! loading please wait

ARGGGGH I HATE that npc for putting it into my head theres a faster way down

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-17, 06:56 AM
Morrigan from Dragon Age. She's the perfect example of how bad writers create "strong" female characters - bitchy and unfriendly towards everyone, completely selfish and liking you only if you are equally selfish, even though in many cases this selfishness comes to bite you in the ass, and of course wearing extremely stripperific clothes despite of that. How did this character appear in a game with otherwise good cast?

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

First of all she is not written to be strong. She is written to act like she is strong, which she does very well. The whole idea is to crack the shell. She is a bitch because of several reasons, none of them is because she is a "strong" female character, rather the opposite.

Besides, she still tops the "most favorite character in Dragon Age" list on the Bioware home page.

... Wait, lower-ranked guys aren't supposed to block bullets with their faces so you don't have to? My sergeants lied to me!

Honestly, though, I've never had the problem of my NPCs getting massacred in either game. I die way faster than they do. It helps if you order them into good cover positions to provide a base of fire and then you go flank the enemy, or vice-versa.

I never played ME1, but I have no problems with the AI of the team in ME2. They almost never run in front of me when I try to shoot, they normally stay in good cover, and they use their powers. Sometimes they die, but that tend to be in really tough fights. Most of the time I die before they do...

factotum
2010-02-17, 07:30 AM
I never played ME1, but I have no problems with the AI of the team in ME2.

That's 'cos it's much better--as you say, they'll generally get behind cover all by themselves without you having to order them to do it. Most of the time in ME1 they'll stand in the open exchanging fire with a bad guy until they fall over...

Tengu_temp
2010-02-17, 07:55 AM
Besides, she still tops the "most favorite character in Dragon Age" list on the Bioware home page.

I assume that her being the game's Miss Fanservice has something to do with that. Her personality is still horrible.

AstralFire
2010-02-17, 07:58 AM
I assume that her being the game's Miss Fanservice has something to do with that. Her personality is still horrible.

This.

I liked Leliana and Wynne much more.

Jan Mattys
2010-02-17, 08:01 AM
This.

Seconded and thirded.

Mind you: it's not that Morrigan hasn't her reasons to be like she is... she's an apostate, she's been raised by Flemeth, she's been taught to be like this, and people in Ferelden is far from friendly when you look like a witch of the wilds.

But still, especially if you try to play your grey warden like a decent person, then she comes as confrontational and annoying as they get. And her "survival of the fittest" philosophical approach makes me yawn after a while.

Still, I think Morrigan tops my "disliked" list together with Ogren. And Zevran, but at least the elf gets some really funny lines.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-17, 08:14 AM
This.

I find Wynne mostly annoying.

I find Leliana sexy (for a game character), although not as sexy as Bioware tries to make her, mainly because she has a quite ugly face, and very nice and pleasant.

I find Morrigan intriguing, sexy (but the same applies there; Bioware ruined the looks by trying to make them both look like their voice actors, something the game engine obviously could not copy with. The original look for Morrigan is incredibly better looking) and intelligent.

I never understood why Morrigan is "Ms Fanservice". She shows more skin than the other female characters available (but not enough for Leliana, who wants her to show more :smallbiggrin:) but she is nowhere near a real stripperific outfit. In fact I think her outfit fits her character very well; she is a very vain woman who has to do with what she can get her hands on in that cabin. Her skirt is a real "DIY job" (and is neither very short nor has the typical casterkini slit on the side).

In fact, I think the title should go to Leliana, who has the attitude (drooling over the other nuns alot?), the clothes (to be fair, all leather armor, even mens, ends above the knee), the voice...

Jan Mattys
2010-02-17, 08:33 AM
It's not all about sex.

Wynne is a paragon for all wizards. Someone who's got the power and the will to use it, but who also understands all too well the reasons of the Chantry and the Templars. Mages in Dragon Age are always on the brink of feeling like being prisoners in a military state... Wynne understands why it is necessary and understands the risk of a mage letting his power loose.

Wynne is a strong character, and I like her. She's much more than "grandmotherly character who's the designed healbot". She's particularly interesting if you play a mage yourself... Being mages very powerful and very controlled (by the templars), Wynne is there to help you understand that those puny soldiers do have a reason to fear you and your capabilities.

Morrigan usually mocks others for not being able to exert their control over her: she's powerful because she's a mage, and she is very fond of her powers. She's not totally evil, but she embodies the reasons why mages are feared in the first place. And she mocks people like Wynne for having accepted the not-so-golden cage of the Tower of Magi.

Fact is, Morrigan's character is less interesting, because her take on things is more banal and trite. Every powerful character who is not a paragon of good more or less focuses on its own power and mocks others. Always. In every game.

Wynne is more interesting, and a very good example of how "proper good" can be cooler than "borderline good" / "selfish neutral".

In my opinion, of course.

Felyndiira
2010-02-17, 08:43 AM
I think it suffices to say that I have never seen a single video game character that I hate more than Algus. I guess it may be because I tend not to get annoyed at video game characters and can more-or-less sympathize with most of them, although Algus was specifically written and designed to elicit a negative player response - and by flying spaghetti, it works. He's a self-absorbed racist bigot without even an actual realization that he may be wrong, strikes us in all the wrong places, and is generally the only villain that I'd over-level to find satisfaction in dropping a nice holy on in every game.

And now that I said that, I can't recall four characters that were even in the same realm of hated characters, so I guess my list is simply: Algus, Algus, Algus x3.

Closet_Skeleton
2010-02-17, 09:28 AM
Number one is the little bastard from Witcher. I already despise children, then I'm forced to coddle one in a game I'M PLAYING FOR FUN. Not to mention the unreasonable amount of relationship trouble he brings to Geralt. Extreme heavy spoiler, I know your very first urge to do in such occasions is to reflexively open spoilers, but DON'T do it now lest it utterly RUINS one of the greatest CRPGs ever for you:Schmuck baiting? Who, me?
I was all ecstatic and giddy for DAYS when I realized the final boss Geralt exterminated with extreme prejudice was his time travelling sorry ass. EXTRA EXTRA GIDDINESS for feeding his soul (or whatever it is that it does to souls) to the King of the Wild Hunt..

Apparently, if you read the novels;

The King of the Wild Hunt is the avatar if an extra-dimensional elven warlord who's wiped out all non-elven sentient species in his home dimension and needs the soul of someone capable of dimensional/time travel in order to invade Geralt's world and wipe out all of humanity. The entire book series was spent stopping him from getting hold of some girl, so by giving the King of the Wild Hunt the Grandmaster you've basically undone the happy ending of the novels.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-17, 09:43 AM
(Good reasons snipped)

In my opinion, of course.

I agree, mostly, but I still end up at the other end: I keep skipping her dialogue because it's just "yeah yeah I promise not to abuse the power and other depends on me. Yada yada yada Bleh".

Now her Ingame random banter is another thing. I like that. I would probably love her as a friend. But the dialogue written between the main character and Wynne? Sleeping pill!

Coplantor
2010-02-17, 10:03 AM
Fargoth from Morrowind. No, you can't have your ring back. Now go away.

I ussually just gaved him back his ring and stole it from his secret stash.

I'm suprised no one mentioned Tom Nook. I' yet to play Animal Crossing, but I know that he is an evil animal man thing...

Then there's the characters from Harvest Moon, I dont really hate them as much as I'm afraid of them, they are unnaturally happy.

Wanna know who I really hate? Kratos, as in God of War Kratos. He's a jerk, a not the lovable jerks you see every now and then.

Project_Mayhem
2010-02-17, 10:20 AM
I'm gonna vote for Sonic in SSBB.

"You're too slo-ow""You're too slo-ow""You're too slo-ow""You're too slo-ow"ctrl+v*∞

Kris Strife
2010-02-17, 10:49 AM
The Watcher. So glad to see him get what he deserved.

Indon
2010-02-17, 11:23 AM

That's probably the nicest way to say it without violating the forum's ToS.

I think I'm going to go with Yggdrasil from Tales of Symphonia for IC most hated guy.

I mean, he basically worked to place his entire world in miserable stasis for all time - so he could get his sister a rez. WTF, Yggdrasil, WTF.

Jade_Tarem
2010-02-17, 11:44 AM
I'm gonna vote for Sonic in SSBB.

"You're too slo-ow""You're too slo-ow""You're too slo-ow""You're too slo-ow"ctrl+v*∞

In Brawl, there are no annoying characters, only annoying players.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt anyone will have heard of this, but the Peacemaker from Sword of the Stars deserves a mention. Nothing from a pacifist galaxy should be that friggin' powerful.

Starfols
2010-02-17, 01:25 PM
I think it suffices to say that I have never seen a single video game character that I hate more than Algus. I guess it may be because I tend not to get annoyed at video game characters and can more-or-less sympathize with most of them, although Algus was specifically written and designed to elicit a negative player response - and by flying spaghetti, it works. He's a self-absorbed racist bigot without even an actual realization that he may be wrong, strikes us in all the wrong places, and is generally the only villain that I'd over-level to find satisfaction in dropping a nice holy on in every game.

And now that I said that, I can't recall four characters that were even in the same realm of hated characters, so I guess my list is simply: Algus, Algus, Algus x3.

I would say Delita peeved me even more than Algus. Not being able to kill him at the end almost ruined the game for me.

That's probably the nicest way to say it without violating the forum's ToS.

My, if this is the reaction I get from mentioning my displeasure.. I was going to make a thread to go into my complaints in detail.. maybe I should dig a bunker first :smallamused:.

What? Navi is cute!

I didn't mind Navi, really. I would petition for a Navi plushie, but I think it's a bad idea for Navi to be flammable.

desertfox999
2010-02-17, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I already posted, but I hate Ashley Graham so much I had to post again to rant about her. Here goes: she's a whiny, stuck-up, pathetic, physically weak, obnoxious, stupid, insufferable bitch who can't take a single bullet without dying. She made me die more times than I can count, either by getting in the line of fire, getting kidnapped, or pissing me off so much that I muted the game and then got killed when I couldn't hear zombies coming up behind me. Plus, I died twice just because I shot her. The thing I also can't understand is why Leon didn't just hand her a gun he wasn't using so that she could defend herself.

PhoeKun
2010-02-17, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I already posted, but I hate Ashley Graham so much I had to post again to rant about her. Here goes: she's a whiny, stuck-up, pathetic, physically weak, obnoxious, stupid, insufferable bitch who can't take a single bullet without dying. She made me die more times than I can count, either by getting in the line of fire, getting kidnapped, or pissing me off so much that I muted the game and then got killed when I couldn't hear zombies coming up behind me. Plus, I died twice just because I shot her. The thing I also can't understand is why Leon didn't just hand her a gun he wasn't using so that she could defend herself.

I... have no idea where you're getting all of this. She's the daughter of a politician, kidnapped and locked up in a place filled with horrible monsters. She's allowed to have an off day, I think. How is she stuck up? Even though she's scared, she does everything that Leon tells her to do. She's a liability in a fight, but if you tell her to stay hidden in a dumpster, she will. And when she's alone and unprotected, she manages to solve some complicated puzzles all while outrunning and outwitting Sadler's death cult. Honestly, I admire her.

I don't know what it is about video games that fosters the attitude that everybody is either a crack shot with nerves of steel or whiny, useless, and annoying, but it needs to stop.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-17, 03:25 PM
I'd have to go with General Shepard from Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 personally.
I mean come on, he (massive spoilers of the last few missions of the game.)

backstabs you and your entire team, causes the death of the coolest npc in the game (ghost), along with all of the team except Soap and the dude from the first one (I'm kicking myself that I can't remember his name). EVERY single person you play as until the final what, 2 missions of the game? Dead because of him. Not to mention DC nuked, the world is at war, and millions of civilians dead. Oh, and then he stabs Soap. At least Soap got the last laugh with the knife in the eye.

Mordokai
2010-02-17, 03:28 PM
I don't know what it is about video games that fosters the attitude that everybody is either a crack shot with nerves of steel or whiny, useless, and annoying, but it needs to stop.

A testament to characters well made? Or the other way around? Personally, I don't really remember any character of the top of my head that made me had a negative emotional reaction, but I know of more than few people that do, personally. Maybe that is a sign that developers actually are doing their job well.

desertfox999
2010-02-17, 03:33 PM
How is she stuck up? Even though she's scared, she does everything that Leon tells her to do. She's a liability in a fight, but if you tell her to stay hidden in a dumpster, she will. And when she's alone and unprotected, she manages to solve some complicated puzzles all while outrunning and outwitting Sadler's death cult. Honestly, I admire her.

She's stuck up because of the way she treats Luis, even though he's helping Leon save her worthless life. She does what Leon tells her because she trusts him, so I don't see how that redeems her. And all she does is solve a few puzzles in a creepy environment and then run away until someone saves her. That's what Shaggy and Scooby do, but I don't admire them. Ada Wong and Jill Valentine, THOSE are women in Resident Evil that I admire: strong and ready to kill some not-zombies. I do agree with you that Ashley's a liability.

PhoeKun
2010-02-17, 03:53 PM
She's stuck up because of the way she treats Luis, even though he's helping Leon save her worthless life. She does what Leon tells her because she trusts him, so I don't see how that redeems her. And all she does is solve a few puzzles in a creepy environment and then run away until someone saves her. That's what Shaggy and Scooby do, but I don't admire them. Ada Wong and Jill Valentine, THOSE are women in Resident Evil that I admire: strong and ready to kill some not-zombies. I do agree with you that Ashley's a liability.

So she's stuck up because she's not willing to endure chauvinistic comments in a high-stress situation? You know, most times when a President's daughter is kidnapped, she flat-out refuses to help in any way shape or form, and expects the hero to do everything for her. Ashley isn't like that. But she's never been in a situation like this before, how in the heck is she supposed to morph into a skilled combatant? She's never shot a gun before, and doesn't know how. Unlike Shaggy and Scooby, she's dealing with real monsters (and by the way, she's able to use the environment to kill a couple).

Ada, meanwhile, is a manipulative cow. She sold her soul to Umbrella, and takes an unnatural amount of delight in screwing with Leon. If he wasn't a useful distraction, you can bet she'd be more than happy to let him get killed. What is there to admire? Her firearms training? If killin' Nazis zombies demons Spaniards is the only standard by which we admire people, then I weep for the future storylines of games.

Coplantor
2010-02-17, 03:57 PM
Speaking of Ashley, the checkpoint left me with nothing but the knife and the grenades in the part where hordes of mad cultists try to kidnap herewhile she's pulling levers all over the place and you are supposed to protect her.
At first I tried to see if the grenade explosion could only reach the cultists but not Ashley... my god, the times I killed her that way.
In the end, we managed to get through that part by entering into a killing spree with the knife untill we got enough bullets to protect her.

desertfox999
2010-02-17, 04:05 PM
So she's stuck up because she's not willing to endure chauvinistic comments in a high-stress situation? You know, most times when a President's daughter is kidnapped, she flat-out refuses to help in any way shape or form, and expects the hero to do everything for her. Ashley isn't like that. But she's never been in a situation like this before, how in the heck is she supposed to morph into a skilled combatant? She's never shot a gun before, and doesn't know how. Unlike Shaggy and Scooby, she's dealing with real monsters (and by the way, she's able to use the environment to kill a couple).

Ada, meanwhile, is a manipulative cow. She sold her soul to Umbrella, and takes an unnatural amount of delight in screwing with Leon. If he wasn't a useful distraction, you can bet she'd be more than happy to let him get killed. What is there to admire? Her firearms training? If killin' Nazis zombies demons Spaniards is the only standard by which we admire people, then I weep for the future storylines of games.

Here's the thing: Ashley proved that she IS capable of killing something, and she can throw lanterns with remarkable accuracy. But even though she CAN, she just doesn't. The only thing she ever does for Leon is turn cranks and go over walls to open doors, but what kind of person designs a castle so that you have to have two people to go through it? Also, why can't Leon just shoot the door open? God knows he has enough firepower. Back to Ashley: it doesn't really take a whole lot of training to know how to shoot a zombie: aim for the head, then shoot. I went shooting once, with a gun quite similar to Leon's starting handgun, and I scored 8 headshots with one clip of 12. It's not rocket science, and Ashley is very capable of doing something, instead of just dragging Leon down.

Ada: she's not a cow who sold her soul, she just works for whoever is paying her salary. While she may manipulate Leon and Luis into doing her bidding, that just proves that she's smart. Without her, Leon and Ashley never would have made it out of the church (I exaggerate for effect). Well, scratch that. LEON would've.

warty goblin
2010-02-17, 04:15 PM
I... have no idea where you're getting all of this. She's the daughter of a politician, kidnapped and locked up in a place filled with horrible monsters. She's allowed to have an off day, I think. How is she stuck up? Even though she's scared, she does everything that Leon tells her to do. She's a liability in a fight, but if you tell her to stay hidden in a dumpster, she will. And when she's alone and unprotected, she manages to solve some complicated puzzles all while outrunning and outwitting Sadler's death cult. Honestly, I admire her.

Haven't played RE4, because by all reports the PC port was exceptionally horrible, but I agree with you in principle.

I suspect it comes from most videogame protagonists being the Everyman while at the same time being the most destructive hundred and eighty pound sack of water ever to walk the face of the earth.

Not that I neccessarily disagree with hating the people I'm forced to escort for certain missions- particularly those who insist on walking straight through my line of fire. The part of Halo where I was escorting Captain Useless. P. MagGuffin through the Covenent ship is an excellent case in point. The moron loved three things:
1) Standing in front of my gun.
2) Getting killed by those cheap-ass cloaking energy sword weilding elites.
3) Shooting me in the back with his Needler.

None of which were making the game any better or him a more convincing character.

PhoeKun
2010-02-17, 04:55 PM
Not that I neccessarily disagree with hating the people I'm forced to escort for certain missions- particularly those who insist on walking straight through my line of fire. The part of Halo where I was escorting Captain Useless. P. MagGuffin through the Covenent ship is an excellent case in point. The moron loved three things:

None of which were making the game any better or him a more convincing character.

The issue that most escort missions have is that friendly AI... well... it sucks. They can't seem to help but get in the way, and if they have a weapon in hand, they don't know how to prioritize targets in a way to keep you out of the line of fire. And because they've existed in previous games that sold well, developers mistakenly think that means players love them, so they start getting crammed into places they have no business being. Which makes them worse.

It so happens that there aren't a great many characters who are well written and require escort, but the two things aren't really related; it's just an unfortunate coincidence. The vast majority of our irritation is a matter of game mechanics. And to specifically jump back to Ashley, she's got some of the best escort mechanics in modern gaming history. So to declare her the worst character ever (or even to profess a hate of her) speaks to some very unfortunate tendencies in the expectations of the modern gamer.

autoglassmaster
2010-02-17, 04:58 PM
I think I'm going to go with Yggdrasil from Tales of Symphonia for IC most hated guy.

I mean, he basically worked to place his entire world in miserable stasis for all time - so he could get his sister a rez. WTF, Yggdrasil, WTF.

That's TWO entire worlds.

Drakevarg
2010-02-17, 06:04 PM
And to specifically jump back to Ashley, she's got some of the best escort mechanics in modern gaming history. So to declare her the worst character ever (or even to profess a hate of her) speaks to some very unfortunate tendencies in the expectations of the modern gamer.

I find Ashley an irritating, stuck up, and generally useless. (Not to mention having the body of a 20-something, the face of a teenager, and the voice of a preteen.) However, I cannot deny that as an escort she's the least irritating I've ever had to put up with. Mainly because she doesn't get in my way. Just screams loud enough to make my ears bleed and gets kidnapped every 12 minutes or so.

Mechanically she's incredibly well-programmed. Her personality is what grinds my gears. Nonetheless I can think of dozens of characters more annoying than her, so she has pretty much no chance of ever getting on my "most hated" list.

For an example of good characters who make terrible escorts, Jauffre from Oblivion. I like him as a person, but but he has an alarming tendancy to get in front of my weapon and dive headfirst into lava. Martin's generally better about it, but that's probably mostly because as a mage he generally stays out of stabbing range.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-17, 06:38 PM
I don't play enough video games to have a detailed list but Ashley from RE 4 would definitely be on it. Stupid president daughter don't know how to evade zombies and crap!

Prime32
2010-02-17, 06:51 PM
There's a cheat/unlockable/something which lets you put her in a suit of armour which stops her from being kidnapped or harmed. They even change a few of the animations (like when you catch her) for the weight. :smalltongue:

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-17, 07:16 PM
Damn I hate them all so much I can't decide...

chiasaur11
2010-02-17, 07:34 PM
Tallnut, from Plants Vs. Zombies.

He knows what he did.

Also, the Companion Sphere from Portal. I'm glad to see it burn, you hear me! GLAD!

Dr.Epic
2010-02-17, 09:47 PM
There's a cheat/unlockable/something which lets you put her in a suit of armour which stops her from being kidnapped or harmed. They even change a few of the animations (like when you catch her) for the weight. :smalltongue:

I never unlocked that bonus game play.

warty goblin
2010-02-17, 10:49 PM

What is with cheats being unlockables now? Does this make sense to anybody? There are really only two reasons to cheat that I can come up with:

1) Because big head mode/god mode is funny.

2) Because you are stuck, and after having tried to beat this damn boss for the last five hours just want to get to the next part of the game.

The first is just as possible with cheats available from minute one as it is with cheats unlockable. Having to unlock the things turns the second into a gaming catch-22 though.

waterpenguin43
2010-02-17, 11:41 PM
Porky Minch, form Earthbound/Mother 3. He does so many hideous, evil things (Brainwashing a bunch of random people to obey everything he does? Brutally reconstructing animals and fusing existing ones? Thinking the whole of the Nowhere Islands is just a gmae for him?), but you know, deep, deeeeeeeeeeeeeep down, that it's justified. AND THAT IS REALLY REALLY ANNOYING!!!!!:smallfurious: Plus, HE DOESN'T DIE AT THE END!!!:smallfurious: He gets a hideous punishment, but it really DOESN'T feel satistfying AT ALL!!!!:smallfurious:
Whew. All this yelling makes me tired.

Jerthanis
2010-02-18, 12:09 AM

Seriously! Protecting or escorting someone is extremely common in videogames, but I've never seen it so WELL implemented as in RE4. If you point your gun at Ashley, she doesn't waste any time hitting the deck... enemies don't specifically attack her, but pick her up and walk slowly away, letting you react and save her. I find it amazing how many people complain about Ashley when I think protecting her made RE4 more fun, while in Silent Hill 2, protecting Maria or whatever her name was was so frustratingly difficult I couldn't even get past that part.

How come no one complains about her? She would specifically stand RIGHT where you would swing your board-with-nail and would just hang out there.

I'd say the most widely hated character in videogames would be Navi, hands down. Myself, I don't tend to hate a lot of videogame characters. I like a good villain and when a character has an annoying voice I just turn off the sound or something.

However, that one thief-gangster guy from Shenmue 2 really got on my nerves. First of all, he sends his goons to beat you up constantly for almost no reason through the first third of the game, then to progress at one point you have to pay him $500 for his help and he proceeds to not help you, and just attacks you more. A bit later in the game he manipulates you to do some of his dirty work for him, and then in the final third of the game, when you move on to Kowloon, the whole game treats your relationship with him as if he were your trusted buddy, and you need to work together to take out a mutual foe.

Drakevarg
2010-02-18, 12:19 AM
Seriously! Protecting or escorting someone is extremely common in videogames, but I've never seen it so WELL implemented as in RE4. If you point your gun at Ashley, she doesn't waste any time hitting the deck... enemies don't specifically attack her, but pick her up and walk slowly away, letting you react and save her. I find it amazing how many people complain about Ashley when I think protecting her made RE4 more fun, while in Silent Hill 2, protecting Maria or whatever her name was was so frustratingly difficult I couldn't even get past that part.

It's not that she's a bad escort; it's that she's an escort AT ALL. People generally don't like escort missions, indeed I don't think I've ever done one that I liked.

But it is, again, worth repeating that Ashley Graham is probably the best escort in video gaming. But being the best of the worst still plants you firmly in "unliked" territory.

So contiuing to make the point that's been made already at least twice by me alone, Ashley Graham is not disliked because she is an escort. As escorts go she is excellent. She is disliked because she screams loud enough to cause your ears to bleed and because she gets kidnapped every five minutes. (Although really, that part is Leon's fault. Super Cutscene Incompetance, GO!)

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-02-18, 12:36 AM
3- Uncle Paulie, The Darkness: Besides generally making your life miserable, the dude sets off a bomb in your face, throws half the mafia and police force at you, acts like an arrogant punk the entire time, and SHOOTS YOUR GIRLFRIEND IN THE HEAD RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

The final confrontation with him was sadly unsatisfying, given how much he deserved what he got.

If you felt that way then the developers did the job. Jackie lost what was left of his humanity when Paulie killed Jenny. So, after going almost literally through hell, he comes back and wages war against Paulie. And at the final conflict, after all of the shizzle that happened, Jackie comes to find that he has sacrificed everything that he was, and everything he had, just to piss off his uncle, and he ended up losing everything in the single most literal sense.
And at the end, he pretty much comes to the conclusion (which is projected through killing a sniveling man) that it simply wasn't worth it. Sure he killed Jenny, but if he just stayed in line, she'd still be alive.

If you hated Paulie and thought the ending wasn't worth the effort put forth, then they did a good job. And holy crap was it a wild ride.

Gimliggamer
2010-02-18, 12:47 AM
These may have been posted already but,
Lionwhyte in Brutal Legend-do I even need to explain this one?
Sten in Dragon Age- He is so frickin useless I can't describe it. I would rather choose the dog over him and his constant struggle of his "innocence".

Fawkes
2010-02-18, 12:50 AM
Lionwhyte in Brutal Legend-do I even need to explain this one?

Aw, I liked Lionwhyte. He was funny-looking. :smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-18, 12:55 AM
I second that Ashley was easily the best escort NPC. Like ever. Perfect pathing and she actually kept out of your way. And when push comes to shove, you tell her to hide in a dumpster and you get to kill things. All those things were more than enough to make up for her yelling "LEON!" all the time.

Maria of SH2 isn't actually a hard escort. You just run away from the monsters. Like you're supposed to do when it's a big open space and there's no reason you should be forced into confrontation. Least of all when you have an escort.

Also, damaging Maria actually helps get one of the good endings. If you also don't check in on her too much and make sure to minimize the time you spend escorting her, you don't the bad ending pertaining to her.

Actually, this isn't too hard if you're actually good at FPS's.

Cloaked elites have no shield and pretty much die instantly at the hands of a sniper/pistol/whatever. Particularly if you hang back and do it so that marines/Keyes don't get in your way. Shielded Elites can be eliminated pretty close to instantly if you use the right method to eliminate them.

Plasma pistols are actually good in single player Halo:CE. In multiplayer, they're only really marginally useful if it's a narrow/small map.

Vorpalbob
2010-02-18, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure if this counts, but I would like to put forward Super Mutants. Not just any Super Mutants, but the ones found in the hilltop base in the (I believe) St. Louis mission in Fallout Tactics.

In the opening (if you could call it a) cut scene, General Barnacky is shown being captured near said base. Even though the mission briefing tells you not to attack the base, I figure that an alternate storyline will begin if I do attack the base (and I'll find treasure:haley:!), and so after I finish my other objectives, I crawl my squad through 50 meters of barbed wire up to the bottom of the hill.

Getting into the ****ing base took me hours. First was running up the hill, memorizing where the mines were, and detonating them with grenades. Then, I make the mistake of ordering my most well-armoured character to get up and see where the Mutants are.

He dies.

So I try to have multiple squad members stand up simultaneously. After another half an hour of reloading the save game, I manage to run my squad into a bunker without losing anyone. What follows are several hours of retrying.

Eventually, I clear out the base. And ya know what?
THERE WAS NO GODDAMN BARNACKY!

Almost every Mutant was carrying the same crappy M249 I already had about 40 of in my APC, and two had miniguns. Each carried under 100 rounds for their miniguns. GAAAAH!
For those of you wondering WHY I would put all this effort into clearing out this base, I am what happens when an RPG lover is mixed with mild OCD. I must clear out everything ever.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-18, 02:04 AM
I must say despite playing many games in my life I have no real hatred for any character.
Of course I have limited myself by never playing, for example, JRPGs, MMORPGS or even most shooters.

Now I can only think of one enemy I hate, and it's not because of their character (they have none): FO3:s Reavers. They are pure terror and sabotages game balance completely. I have installed mods to power them down significantly.

Drakevarg
2010-02-18, 09:00 AM
If you felt that way then the developers did the job. Jackie lost what was left of his humanity when Paulie killed Jenny. So, after going almost literally through hell, he comes back and wages war against Paulie. And at the final conflict, after all of the shizzle that happened, Jackie comes to find that he has sacrificed everything that he was, and everything he had, just to piss off his uncle, and he ended up losing everything in the single most literal sense.
And at the end, he pretty much comes to the conclusion (which is projected through killing a sniveling man) that it simply wasn't worth it. Sure he killed Jenny, but if he just stayed in line, she'd still be alive.

If you hated Paulie and thought the ending wasn't worth the effort put forth, then they did a good job. And holy crap was it a wild ride.

Oh, it was worth it. I hated the little worm. It just wasn't satisfying enough. He DIED TOO QUICKLY.

And yes, I'm aware the developers did their job well. Most (if not all) of the people on my list weren't just annoying like for other people, these were people designed from the ground up to be loathed. Kudos to the dev teams for that.

desertfox999
2010-02-18, 09:23 AM

Yeah, plus I can shoot her with whatever I want and she doesn't die! And, the mafia costume plus the Chicago Typewriter is awesome.

Brine
2010-02-18, 11:30 AM
The orphans from Fallout 2. Little bastards took quest related items from my inventory...
Raiden, in MGS2.
All the girlfriends from GTA SA and GTA4. Seriously, stop calling me... I'll call you! And no ROMAN, I don't want to go bowling with you AGAIN!

Fawkes
2010-02-18, 11:45 AM
Niko, my cousin! Want to see BEEG American teetees?

Morty
2010-02-18, 12:30 PM
Apparently, if you read the novels;

The King of the Wild Hunt is the avatar if an extra-dimensional elven warlord who's wiped out all non-elven sentient species in his home dimension and needs the soul of someone capable of dimensional/time travel in order to invade Geralt's world and wipe out all of humanity. The entire book series was spent stopping him from getting hold of some girl, so by giving the King of the Wild Hunt the Grandmaster you've basically undone the happy ending of the novels.

Hm, I didn't remember that, but now that you mention it, I recall it. I never though of it that way, although I refused to give the Grandmaster's soul to the King of the Wild Hunt. I wonder if it's really what the writers intended.

FoE
2010-02-18, 02:49 PM
How about the Dog from Duck Hunt? STOP MOCKING ME, YOU SON OF A BITCH!

I don't really get the Morrigan hate. She's a bit of a cow, but she's an amusing cow.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-18, 03:39 PM

I don't really get the Morrigan hate. She's a bit of a cow, but she's an amusing cow.

I think it's down to a love her or hate her thing. Reminds me very much about Viconia; she had her die-hard fans, and people who gleefully watched her burn at the stake every playthru.

Telonius
2010-02-18, 03:44 PM

He's my #1, back on page 3.

snoopy13a
2010-02-18, 06:18 PM
Let's see:

1) Like-Likes from Legend of Zelda: I spent 160 rupees* for that magical shield and you go ahead and eat it???

2) The Boogie-Men/Phantom Ice Cream Trucks from Toejam and Earl: Both are awful, awful earthlings. Can't an alien just go back to Funkatron in peace?

3) Hammer Brothers from Super Mario Brothers: I just hate these guys. The Hammer Throwing King Koopas in the castles aren't too fun either

4) Don Flamenco from (Mike Tyson's) Punch Out: Ok, in the first fight you're a pushover but in the second fight you fight defensively, make me tired and often go the distance, ruining my perfect KO record in the process. Plus, you have that annoying entry. (dishonorable mentions to Soda Popinski, Mr. Sandman, and Super Macho Man)

5) The Giant Fish from Super Mario 3: So you just straight up swallow me whole? That so isn't cool...

* First time I played Legend of Zelda I bought the shield from the merchant who sells it for 160 rupees (I hadn't found the guy who sells it for 130 or the guy who sells for 90 yet). Needless to say, I was a very bitter 4th grader after that tub of slime ate my shield.

Dienekes
2010-02-18, 06:29 PM

I have a discourse why I don't like her in the DAO thread.

But really, I don't hate her. Sure she was pretty stupid evil, but she was an interesting enough character. And on my evil run was a favored of my team.

As to the question. People have already said Mr. Tingle and Navi, they're mine.

Mr. Scaly
2010-02-22, 01:41 AM
Behold, for I have a story to tell...

I was playing Oblivion for the first time and I'm excited to be roaming around this big, well graphiced world. I walk into Skingrad for the first time and a Bosmer named Glarthir approached, whispering that he needs to speak to me at midnight behind the church. Intrigued, I go behind the church and at the appointed hour he spins a tale of spies and treachery, about the people who are 'watching him.' Then he asks me to follow somebody the next day, without being seen of course.

Well I did. I followed her all day. From the moment she left her house in the morning until she returned home at night. I have never had such a boring video game experience in my entire life. So when I speak to Glarthir he pays me, then asks me to do it again for someone else. By now I;m getting dubious but I figure 'Okay. Maybe the first one was just a dud.' Nope. The second guy goes on his merry way as well and does nothing.

And since I'm a fool I follow a third guy for him. When I tell him that all three of them were not having him followed he has the nerve to attack me for betraying him! Vengeance was a Paralyse spell followed by fisticuffs.

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 01:45 AM
Ah, Glarthir. I'd almost forgotten how annoying he was. Mostly because nowadays I just kill him on sight out of habit. I really get sick of his incessent stalking of me until I let him get close enough to talk.

Temotei
2010-02-22, 02:42 AM
Ah, Glarthir. I'd almost forgotten how annoying he was. Mostly because nowadays I just kill him on sight out of habit. I really get sick of his incessent stalking of me until I let him get close enough to talk.

I run away while casting invisibility and my custom burst of speed spells.

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 02:43 AM
I'm Dark Brotherhood. NOT killing him is probably against the Sixth Tenent or something.

"Tenent Six: Never pass up an opportunity to stab idiots in the face. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis."