PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Level 12 MoM build

Thurbane
2010-02-16, 08:52 PM
Yes, I know Master of Masks is considered a sub-par PrC, but assuming I want to make a build that uses all ten levels of it, how would you go about it (specifically, at around level 12)?

...I'm looking for a build with maximum versatility, and which also makes use of the +4 CL that MoM gives. I'm thinking something like Factotum 1/Beguiler 4/MoM 7. Or maybe Beguiler 2/Human Paragon 3/Mom 7. Once MoM reaches 10, maybe going in to Chameleon...

For race, I'm leaning towards human...possibly Kiloren or Spellscale. Note that favored class rules do apply, however.

Things to know: no ToB, MoI or psionics. No Dragon Magazine material, and nothing campaign specific other than Greyhawk.

I stress one last time that I know MoM isn't a strong PrC, but for this particular build I'm looking to use all 10 levels.

Cheers - T

Merk
2010-03-15, 10:32 AM
Human Factotum 5 / Chameleon 2 / Master of Masks 5

This gets you all the goodies of a 5th level factotum (including opportunistic piety, so maybe get Knowledge Devotion or something to go with that), aptitude focus (Arcane Focus; casting as a 4th level chameleon with an effective caster level of 8), a floating feat, 2 simultaneous masks and 5 known masks. Take advantage of the fact that a Factotum's SLAs work off of the Sor/Wiz list, but Chameleons get spells off of any Arcane list (you can cast Hold Person, for example, with one of your Chameleon's 2nd level spell slots, since it's a 2nd level spell for Bards, even though it's a 3rd level spell for Sor/Wiz).

Flickerdart
2010-03-15, 10:35 AM
You can probably steal a few tricks from Haberdash the Masked (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) since you have access to the Gladiator mask and a bunch of Factotum levels.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-15, 10:40 AM
I guess you should state what masks you prefer, because it could change dramatically the classes and feats by an optimization standpoint.

For race, I'm leaning towards human...possibly Kiloren or Spellscale.

Well, I don't know if it's good for optimization, but Spellscale is great, IMHO, for this class by a flavour standpoint.

BTW, I love MoM: it reminds me Arturo Brachetti (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQBaY3irD0&feature=PlayList&p=B1A38C72EA339009&index=0&playnext=1) :smallsmile:

Talbot
2010-03-15, 12:08 PM
You can probably steal a few tricks from Haberdash the Masked (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) since you have access to the Gladiator mask and a bunch of Factotum levels.

Ehh... I've been playing a character that tries to "steal a few tricks" from Haberdash, but it turns out it's not very effective to half-ass it. You kind of have to go all in or not at all, and the build is a huge investment in terms of money/skillpoints/feats.

Thurbane
2010-03-15, 09:22 PM
Wow, thanks all for the feedback...wasn't expecting any at this stage! :smallbiggrin:

Does CL increase work with Chameleon? I seem to remember asking a question in the Q&A thread about how Practiced Caster would interract with the Arcane and Divine casting of the Chameleon (if it would boost both), and the answer was that it doesn't work as Chameleon does not actually have casters levels as such...

Pluto
2010-03-16, 01:50 AM
Does CL increase work with Chameleon? I seem to remember asking a question in the Q&A thread about how Practiced Caster would interract with the Arcane and Divine casting of the Chameleon (if it would boost both), and the answer was that it doesn't work as Chameleon does not actually have casters levels as such...That's going to vary wildly by DM.

I would rule yes because both Arcane and Divine Foci explicitly give spellcasting.

If it's not interpreted as real spellcasting, it's presumably an (Ex) casting analogue, which is something I'd very much like to avoid.

Also, It's a Chameleon/MoM. The game's not going to break no matter what the ruling. Just one way makes a character that can almost keep up alongside straight-classed Factotums.

Thurbane
2010-03-16, 09:05 PM
Thanks, really looking for a RAW call...we can ceratinly handwave things in our games, and I realize it's totally balanced, but I always like to know what the RAW is any given situation is. :smallwink: