PDA

View Full Version : Online Jobs

Razaele
2010-02-17, 12:18 AM
So guys, I have just officially hit rock-bottom. My money has left my wallet for reasons personal and otherwise that I'd rather not divulge, and I have little to no means of getting it back. I'm still a college student (one of the reasons), with a really heavy load for this term so getting a part-time job is out of the question. Does anyone know of a way for me to make any money for doing stuff online? I know that using Google to search for things like this will probably help, but I've heard of some scam sites which don't pay you after you work your butt off for an entire month. Please, can anyone recommend anything? :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2010-02-17, 12:22 AM
If you're going to get paid for it, you're still going to have to work for it, whether it's in person or at home.

Razaele
2010-02-17, 12:39 AM
I realize that, which is why I'm looking for an online job.

reorith
2010-02-17, 12:48 AM
{Scrubbed}

Corlindale
2010-02-17, 12:54 AM
As said before, you probably won't get completely around working, so perhaps you should somehow revise your view of a part-time job as being out of the question. In my experience, even in semesters with a somewhat heavy workload, it has still been possible to squeeze in time for other stuff.

I have an online job as an Internet Assessor for Lionbridge (http://www.lionbridge.com/lionbridge/en-US/company/web-site/internet-assessors.htm), which is a pretty good deal with very flexible hours. Unfortunately they don't seem to be recruiting for the Phillipines currently, though that might change eventually.

thubby
2010-02-17, 01:21 AM
if you know enough about collectibles you can make a little by moving them around online.
if you can perform in any way, busking! (check local laws before attempting)

neither will have the income of an actual job but you wont be broke.

reorith
2010-02-17, 01:25 AM
seconding busking. a buddy of mine purchased a guitar from a pawnshop for 50 bucks, got free lessons from ultimate-guitar.com and then busked and paid off his guitar in the first night with nothing more than a horse with no name, and fire water burn.

Urg
2010-02-17, 01:53 AM
Learn how to draw, make a webcomic, build up fanbase.
Sell merch or do commisions.

Razaele
2010-02-17, 02:35 AM
Hmm. To be honest, I'm not very talented when it comes to playing music or drawing, so I'm thinking busking and making a webcomic of my own is out of the picture.

Corlindale, thanks for suggestion, I think I'll give it a try anyway. I've got nothing to lose.:smalltongue:

Incompleat
2010-02-17, 03:07 AM
Rather than doing online coursework (which, as a grader, I would have to hate you for... not really, but it would be quite scummy IMHO, and could be grounds for dismissal from the college if you were to be found) why not offer tutoring? I did it during my BSc and in the year between ending my BSc and starting my MSc, and it does not pay bad - at least in Math, and I was told Latin and Greek pay even better.

Just put announcements around high schools and the college, and you'll probably get a good number of requests.

Starscream
2010-02-17, 03:13 AM
There are online tutoring sites available that are supposed to be pretty good. I have a cousin that works for one. The pay is pretty lousy, but she only does it for about ten hours a week.

I myself spent a summer as an eBay seller to supplement my fast food income in high school. It was just a hobby, but I made a couple thousand. Mostly sold old comic books from the 40s-70s that I found at garage sales and such. When I stopped easily finding stuff to sell I gave it up. Probably could have done alright if I'd had more time to work at it along with my school and regular job.

But really, the only way to make decent money is to spend a lot of time and effort. The problem with internet careers is that you are competing for them with everybody on the entire internet. If you apply at McDonalds you are just competing with the other three guys who applied at that particular McDonalds. So online jobs tend to pay very little compared to an actual job that takes the same amount of your time.

Razaele
2010-02-19, 10:15 AM
Ok wait. After re-reading what I first posted and the replies of the Playgrounders, I have come to the conclusion that I was not clear enough. I apologize. I'm looking for an online job with really flexible hours which pays alright according to American standards. Currently, my schedule leaves me with free during afternoons (+8 GMT). Now, for the people who are suggesting that I get a normal part-time job here, I would like to stress that the minimum wage in the Philippines SUCKS. We get about 350 pesos per day, which roughly converts to less than $7. Factor in the fact that at most, I can only work part time (which means that I am not qualified for the minimum wage), and I am going to be making enough to pay for my commute to and from school/work plus a little food on the side.:smallsigh:

As for the other suggestions, the tutoring gig sounds attractive, but there isn't much demand for tutors here, especially ones who aren't really great with math.:smallfrown:

The eBay seller thing most likely won't work for me since I have negative starting capital, and even if I did have capital I would have a hard time buying and selling stuff due to the fact that a vast majority of the populace patronizes/sells only bootlegged items which cost a LOT less than the originals.

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 11:10 AM
I've got much the same problem, save for the fact that I do have musical talent. The problem is that my musical talent lies with an obscure instrument: the euphonium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphonium). Furthermore, the only songs I have anywhere near memorized are videogame songs, and given that not everyone knows them, it might not be that great for monneh-makin'.

Razaele
2010-02-19, 11:29 AM
That actually sounds quite interesting. By any chance, do you have a sound clip of you playing a video game song lying around? I'd like to hear it!:smallsmile:

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 11:45 AM
That actually sounds quite interesting. By any chance, do you have a sound clip of you playing a video game song lying around? I'd like to hear it!:smallsmile:

I do not, however, I do get 95% of my music from this guy's (http://www.youtube.com/user/PeterTubaEuph) website (http://tubapeter.com/).