PDA

View Full Version : LA question

LOTRfan
2010-02-17, 12:37 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I am creating a race that doesn't sleep, and doesn't become fatigued or exhausted. I looked in Savage Species to see how much Level Adjustment that would be, but it is not mentioned at all. How much level adjustment would this ability (combined with the Ferocity ability the Boar has in the Monster Manual) be worth?

Satyrus
2010-02-17, 01:11 PM
If those are the only bonuses I'd say no level adjustment is needed.

AbyssKnight
2010-02-17, 01:40 PM
I think there is a background feat in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide that makes you immune to exhaustion. The Ferocity ability is basically the Die Hard feat. So you are looking at the equivalent of, what, three feats (counting Endurance as a prereq)?

By itself, I agree it doesn't need a LA, but what else does the race do?

LOTRfan
2010-02-17, 05:11 PM
It is going to be an Orc super soldier (created through magic and eugenics). It has ruled out most of the Orc's weaknesses (Int and Wis) while improving it's ability in battle. I have already calculated the LA for other abilities, but I'm not sure Savage Species is completely reliable for 3.5, so I'll just check here.

+1 Natural Armor bonus (LA +1)
Fast Healing 1 (LA +1)
+4 Strength, +4 Con, -6 Charisma (Not balanced, so LA +1 at least)

Starting ECL 4 (including

Is the Savage Species correct, or is there a more accurate LA calculator?

DaTedinator
2010-02-17, 05:22 PM
You have to remember Savage Species' note that you should compare LA to class levels. So say this guy's got LA +3, compare a first level fighter this guy to a fourth level human fighter. Even to a fighter, there's no comparison, this guy loses.

With everything you've listed, I'd say a +2, tops. But really, is this intended for a player race?

LOTRfan
2010-02-17, 05:25 PM
No, it's not going to be a player race, but I may make NPCs using this race later. Thank you, I see how +2 would make more sense.

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-18, 05:31 AM
If it's not a PC race, there's not really any need to worry about LA, just CR, unless you're planning to have them become cohorts.

Try googling "race calculator" for a better guide.