2010-02-17, 07:08 PM
Okay. I just rolled a character for a camapign that had an in order score of

STR: 17
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 16
WIS: 16
CHA: 17

I am pretty psyched about it.... but I have no idea what class to play....

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-17, 07:18 PM
Is it 3.5? 3.0? 4e? AD&D? Or you were playing parcheesi? :smallbiggrin:

That would help a lot.. anyway you have pretty good rolls... just picking up something with MAD will do

Eldariel
2010-02-17, 07:20 PM
To add, if 3.5:
How many options do you want?
How much bookkeeping are you comfortable with?
How many roles do you want for the character to cover?
What sources are you working with?
What manner of a party are you looking at?

deuxhero
2010-02-17, 07:22 PM
Hmm... Monk! :)

Math_Mage
2010-02-17, 07:28 PM
Some kind of multiple casting progression, perhaps? *presumes you can shuffle your attribute scores if need be*

Bard? Paladin? Dervish? I dunno.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-17, 07:31 PM
Tainted scholar! Apparently you get huge amounts of abuse with just average rolls. Now imagine with those scores :)

Zephykinns
2010-02-17, 07:34 PM
3.5 I was thinking of doing Druid with the PHP2 Shape shifter option. I would pick up the feat to let me cast spells while animal form. Hehe. Atatck power and spells..... I think that might work. Opinions?

herrhauptmann
2010-02-17, 07:37 PM
3.5 I was thinking of doing Druid with the PHP2 Shape shifter option. I would pick up the feat to let me cast spells while animal form. Hehe. Atatck power and spells..... I think that might work. Opinions?

That would work well even if you had only 1 good stat. CoDzilla exists for a reason.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-17, 07:39 PM
First... Check with your DM. If he didn't see you roll them, there's a 95% chance he'll deny them. And even then, if he did see you roll them there's about a 50/50 shot that he denies it based on balance.

Eldariel
2010-02-17, 07:40 PM
That would work well even if you had only 1 good stat. CoDzilla exists for a reason.

Though Shapeshift Druid does require better stats than standard Druid. That doesn't really seem to be an issue here though.

@OP: Can you switch the scores around? 18 Wis would be stellar. Hell, you could be middle-aged and place 17 in Con & Str leaving them at 16, Dex at 15, Wis at 19 and Int+Cha at 17. 16/15/16/17/19/17 is squarely that one 19 better.

And yeah, that's not a bad idea; you'll be a quite capable all-rounder, especially with 16 Int skillpoints. Human seems like a solid race, though Dwarf (Heh. Dwarf Druid.) isn't that bad either.

Cleric is a really solid option too for making use of all good scores, and from the weaker side of the spectrum, there are some really interesting Barbarian-, Ranger- and Fighter-builds that can utilize all scores. Basically ALL Paladins want stats like that too.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-17, 07:43 PM

You can play anything. So play everything: Factotum.

Zephykinns
2010-02-17, 07:48 PM
First... Check with your DM. If he didn't see you roll them, there's a 95% chance he'll deny them. And even then, if he did see you roll them there's about a 50/50 shot that he denies it based on balance.

Heh, he approved. I rolled it right on the forums. But he had us roll 2d6+8 for each score in order. I was the only one with stats like that haha. Everyone els had pretty average still

graeylin
2010-02-17, 08:05 PM
with those stats, you can't go wrong. I'm an old school guy, so first off, Bard. Man, charisma, strength, dex and con? I'd be an armored, poet spouting fighting machine, like a Nordic Skald.

or Paladin.

You won't get many chances to nail scores like that, so use them!

Eldonauran
2010-02-17, 08:11 PM
I'd say ... some sort of Duskblade / Monk (swordsage) hybrid and switch to the Chameleon prestige class.

Emmerask
2010-02-17, 08:17 PM
with those stats, you can't go wrong. I'm an old school guy, so first off, Bard. Man, charisma, strength, dex and con? I'd be an armored, poet spouting fighting machine, like a Nordic Skald.

or Paladin.

You won't get many chances to nail scores like that, so use them!

Yep although wizard alone for example would be a terrible waste of stat points in my opinion but yes you can more or less play everything.

I second Bard or Paladin even a monk/wizard or monk/cleric build would do good with such stats if you have such nice stats, use them for an interesting build :smallwink:

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-18, 12:29 AM
But he had us roll 2d6+8 for each score in order. I was the only one with stats like that haha. Everyone els had pretty average still
Huh. Given that that yields an average of 15 (minimum 10, maximum 20), I guess that they had bad luck.

Anyway, stats like that give you a rare chance to play something that requires a lot of high scores to work well (and have it not suck). If you really want to make use of all of them (lest one go to waste), a light-armored or armorless divine spellcaster warrior might be good. Sacred Fist, maybe? Wait, no, its class skills suck. Just Paladin might work, with Combat Reflexes.

You can play anything. So play everything: Factotum.
Factotum, as I understand it, basically works by using Int for pretty much everything so that you don't need a bunch of high scores. I'm sure that it benefits from a high score in any ability, but I don't think that it really needs high scores to use its class features well. Maybe as a lead-in to Chameleon.

Actually, here's a question for y'all. How many levels of PC classes don't grant arcane spellcasting, divine spellcasting, martial weapon proficiency, Trapfinding, Wild Empathy, Woodlands Stride, nor Evasion? Can you build a Chameleon whose access to all of these is limited, and who instead gets other useful abilities from his or her pre-Chameleon levels?

Telepath 5 lets you meet the skill requirements but isn't all that great; it grants you access to psionics, but that's not too useful with no manifestation advancement. Doppelganger Monk 1 is sort of neat. With Doppelganger, there's only one actual class level that you need to take, of course. Can anyone come up with something better?

Optimystik
2010-02-18, 12:32 AM
Go for a challenge - Favored Soul, Warmage or Spirit Shaman, I say :smallsmile:

Paladin or Knight are both good choices too.

bosssmiley
2010-02-18, 09:21 AM

OD&D: "Cheat! Let me see your dice."
AD&D: "Those are paladin stats." :smallamused:
3E: "W/e. Class selection trumps stats."

Play whatever seems like most fun. Heck, you've got +3/+4 mods across the board. That's like having a giant robot with a car for a head. :smallcool:

dragonfan6490
2010-02-18, 09:17 PM
I see your monk and paladin, and raise you a sorcerer!

Flickerdart
2010-02-18, 10:36 PM
I see your monk and paladin, and raise you a sorcerer!
Sorcerer? Why? All you need is CHA, and the tiny bit of CON to prevent dying that every class enjoys.

Weezer
2010-02-18, 11:27 PM
I'd say go bard with snowflake wardance and shadow blade (swordsage dip would be easiest). You capitalize on your high stats by getting str, dex and cha to damage and str and cha to attacks (weapon finesse is unneeded w/ those stats).

Apropos
2010-02-18, 11:34 PM
Be a bard. It's as MAD as a Monk, but cooler.

lsfreak
2010-02-18, 11:46 PM
I'm going to agree with bard as well. Either go a slightly squishier route (bard/lyric theumaturge) or a tougher route (bard/warblade). Either way, dragonfire inspiration, snowflake wardance; with the latter go with lots of support spells alongside the music, with the latter go with lots of white raven maneuvers.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-02-18, 11:57 PM
Yeah, any form of melee spellcaster would work with those stats. Duskblade/Swordsage going toward a Phoenix Mage (I think that build works, but I don't have my books here) gets to use light armor and still gets Wis to AC, as well as using a ton of maneuvers to round out your combat spells, while fighting like a demon. A lot of multiclass blaster/fighter types work pretty well, honestly; you'll rock the damage side of the party such that everyone else can pretty much just sit back and relax.

I hear a Wizard/Rogue/Assassin/Ultimate Magus with TWF can do some pretty foul stuff once it hits 12th level and can Persistent Spell a Wraithstrike, giving you something like seven touch-sneak-attacks a round. That could also work on single targets.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-19, 12:00 AM
OD&D: "Cheat! Let me see your dice."
AD&D: "Those are paladin stats." :smallamused:
3E: "W/e. Class selection trumps stats."

Play whatever seems like most fun. Heck, you've got +3/+4 mods across the board. That's like having a giant robot with a car for a head. :smallcool:

What did Coop break now (other than Jersey)?

Incarnate or Totemist!

Draz74
2010-02-19, 12:22 AM
Those stats totally say "Rogue!!!" to me. Probably with a splash of Swordsage (to make Shadow Blade easier to get, to take better advantage of your Wisdom, and to cherry-pick a couple of other cool tricks).

But yeah. Like Batman (the superhero, not the Wizard), the well-rounded Rogue puts every stat to good use. This is a golden opportunity.

Alternatively, I could see the Bard suggestion; but if you go Bard, don't go for a casting-focused Bard, which would be a waste of those stats. Instead, go for an archery-monster Bard who uses Knowledge Devotion and Dragonfire Inspiration to make his volleys of many arrows really sting. A couple levels dipped in Psychic Warrior or Fighter for extra archery feats might be worthwhile.

EDIT: I guess just straight Swordsage would be pretty cool, too, if you use Imperious Command to get decent mileage out of your Charisma.

Asheram
2010-02-19, 03:29 PM
Those stats totally say "Rogue!!!" to me. Probably with a splash of Swordsage (to make Shadow Blade easier to get, to take better advantage of your Wisdom, and to cherry-pick a couple of other cool tricks).

But yeah. Like Batman (the superhero, not the Wizard), the well-rounded Rogue puts every stat to good use. This is a golden opportunity.

Alternatively, I could see the Bard suggestion; but if you go Bard, don't go for a casting-focused Bard, which would be a waste of those stats. Instead, go for an archery-monster Bard who uses Knowledge Devotion and Dragonfire Inspiration to make his volleys of many arrows really sting. A couple levels dipped in Psychic Warrior or Fighter for extra archery feats might be worthwhile.

EDIT: I guess just straight Swordsage would be pretty cool, too, if you use Imperious Command to get decent mileage out of your Charisma.

Let's combine them, shall we? Swordsage Monk variant!

Flickerdart
2010-02-19, 03:36 PM
I hear a Wizard/Rogue/Assassin/Ultimate Magus with TWF can do some pretty foul stuff once it hits 12th level and can Persistent Spell a Wraithstrike, giving you something like seven touch-sneak-attacks a round. That could also work on single targets.
Nah, you just dip Pyrokineticist and whip people. Then you can take more Wizard levels.

Lysander
2010-02-19, 04:03 PM
I see your bard and raise you a Champion. (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html)