PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Template Special Abilities

Mauther
2010-02-18, 04:04 PM
Need help setting up a template, or more accurately, an aspect of a template. I’ve got a system of corrupted magic, where if casters cast the wrong spell, they open them selves up to extraplanar nasties who possess and corrupt their bodies. Physically we’re talking massive deformity: non-symmetrical, puss, humps, tentacles the whole 9 yards of cthuloid aberration prettiness. For the special abilities, I had the idea to use something similar to the paladin-blackguard crossover, where the pre-change abilities dictate the post-change powers. The one special ability I really like and that I want to use is manifesting the corrupting spell as a spell-like ability (probably useable once every 1d3 rounds) so that each would have its own unique ability, making each encounter different. So if it was fireball that corrupted the wizard, they could cast fireball as a spell like ability (ooh scary) but if it was Mend Item or Rope trick, well there you go. What I’m looking for are special horrific abilities that could be exchanged on a 1 for 1 basis with the ability to cast spells of a certain level. So if the 5th level wizard is corrupted, he would lose spell casting ability and instead gain 3 special abilities one of which would be the corrupting spell as a spell like ability. The template itself, based off the lesser pseudo-natural creature template already gives limited damage reduction, darkvision, and fast healing. I was thinking about using the various grafts as a starting point but I haven’t reconciled the price versus a spell level yet.

One thing to bear in mind, this template will be predominately applied to casters, so by and large its being dropped on base creatures that aren’t optimized for melee. The feel I’m going for is an alienist, creatures from beyond the pale sort of thing, think the end of the In Mouth of Madness or any Cthulu inspired tentacle nasties (I’m going for Lovecraft tentacles, not hentai please). So whatever power might be generated by losing 5th level spells should be at least as creepy/disturbing as it is useful/powerful.

Any ideas are welcome. I’m looking for a special ability in exchange for the ability to cast all spells of a certain level, so there would be one special ability in exchange for all first level spells, another separate ability for all 2nd level spells, etc…

Volthawk
2010-02-19, 04:06 PM
Maybe the extra abilities could key off the school of magic the spell was from, so for example if the spell was Abjuration, the creature could gain extra AC and maybe be able to use Dispel Magic, and Transmuters can alternate form and enlarge/reduce person.

Just an idea.

Scorpions__
2010-02-19, 05:23 PM
Have you considered the taint system from Heroes of Horror? You could probably easily rework those symptoms to be more... aberrant...

DM[F]R