PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Some Exotic Weapons

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-19, 01:57 AM
The following are some exotic weapons I came up with. They aren't supposed to be based off of anything. Some are a bit silly, but they are intended to be able to be used. Whee!

Nealimzith

"When I first caught sight of the nomadic rangers, I immediately noted their odd weapons. The handle was a rod about as long as the hilt of a bastard sword, from which a long and thick wire extended. On the end of the wire was a metal disc with curved blades along the edges. I could not understand the function of the weapon. But when I saw them in battle - I was sorry I had ever doubted their tools of war. By manipulating small buttons and clasps on the handle, they could extend or retract the wire, allowing the weapon to be used in close quarters or at distance. But not only that, by pressing another button, they could detach the disc, turning it into a projectile, and pull out another disc from their packs! They called this weapon the Nealimzith."
-Greg the Grig, wandering bard

Weapon Class: Exotic
Weapon Category: 1-Handed or 2-Handed
Weapon Type: Melee, Reach, Ranged
Damage Type: Slashing
Damage: See below, x3 critical

The Nealimzith is an unusual weapon (see quote for description). It can be wielded as either a 1-Handed or 2-Handed weapon and can be used as a non-reach melee weapon, a 10-ft reach melee weapon, or a ranged weapon with a range increment of either 15 ft (if used with one hand) or 30 ft (if used with two hands).

USAGE

1 Handed:
Melee- Non-reach, 1d6 + Str damage; Str to hit.
Ranged- 15 ft increment, 1d6 + Str damage, Dex to hit.
2 Handed:
Melee- Non-reach, 1d6 + 1.5xStr damage; Str to hit.
OR- 10ft Reach (cannot attack adjacent), 1d6 + 1.5xStr damage; Str to hit.
Range- 30 ft increment, 1d6 + 1.5xStr damage, Dex to hit.

Switching between non-reach, reach, or ranged is a swift action. One cannot use more than one type of attack within a turn, but one can make full attacks with non-reach alone or reach alone, and one can switch what type of attack is current after a full attack if so desired.

If one makes a ranged attack, the disc flies off toward the target. This means that only one ranged attack can be made per round. The blade does not return unless enchanted with the returning property, in which case it returns safely to your hand, ready to be reattached, at the end of your turn. A new disc can be attached or an old one reattached as a standard action. This can be reduced to a move action with either the Rapid Reload feat or the Quick Draw feat.

COST

Weapon Base: 375GP (675 for masterwork)
Blade Disc: 25GP (325 for masterwork)
Note: In order to be compatible, blade and base must be either both non-masterwork or both non-masterwork. Magical and masterwork are compatible together, but magical and non-masterwork are not.

The disc is neither a not treated as either a thrown weapon or a projectile. It does not risk being destroyed when it is used, and so can be recovered. Enchanting a nealimzith costs normal for the base, and 1/5 normal for the blade disc. For overcoming damage reduction, it is the material out of which the disc is made that matters, not the base. When determining price of discs made of other materials, treat it as a light weapon.

Mobile Blade
"At first I thought it was a longer short sword with an odd-looking guard, like a single thick bar from a basket hilt. But when I saw it in action - whew, that was something else! By adjusting the pressure of his grip, that mercenary could unlock the position of the blade and readjust it in the middle of a swing, sliding it along the guard even all the way to the other side of the hilt, locking it back it place again with another squeeze. This meant he could switch from a forward grip to a reverse grip without ever letting go of the sword, and vice versa. Or he could even stop it in the middle of the guard to change it into a really, really long punching dagger...sword. It was almost impossible to catch him by surprise, and he caught plenty of people by surprise himself. I'm glad I was on his side!"
-Shane E. Soard, veteran soldier

Weapon Class: Exotic
Weapon Category: Light
Weapon Type: Melee
Damage Type: Slashing or Piercing
Damage: 1d6, 19-20/x2 critical

USAGE

The mobile blade has a pressure sensitive mechanism inside the hilt. There is a track that runs along the "guard," ending on either side of the hilt. It is a free action to switch the blade position during combat, and you can even do it amidst a full-attack. Changing the position has no mechanical effect, but the ability to change the blade's position grants you the following benefits whenever you are not denied your dexterity bonus to AC for more than a single attack (you still gain benefits if you were denied for only one attack) :

--10% chance to catch a foe off guard per attack, catching them flatfooted for that attack, thus denying them their dexterity bonus to AC.
--If you are proficient with this weapon, flankers do not receive the +2 bonus (but you are still considered flanked).
--If a flanking character attacks you or you are sneak attacked, regardless of the success or failure of the attack (provided you are aware of the attack), you can expend an attack of opportunity to strike that foe as if he had provoked an attack of opportunity. You cannot attack the same character more than once per round with this attack, but you can make normal attacks of opportunity against them as normal.

COST: 150GP (450 for masterwork)
Restriction: A mobile sword cannot be made out of adamantine.

boomwolf
2010-02-19, 07:20 AM
I love these. nothing more to say.

Although I would make the disc thrower thingy cost more, to prevent lower levels from effectively using it.