PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Kabbalist class?

Raenir Salazar
2010-02-19, 10:14 AM
Anyone know if anyone's attempted this yet? Kabbalism is afaik an ancient mystical spellcasting 'caste' back during the Judaic Age of Prophecy that surprisingly based on accounts of it told to me by my Orthodox jewish friends is something very similar in capability to regular D&D clerics.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-19, 10:38 AM
Anyone know if anyone's attempted this yet? Kabbalism is afaik an ancient mystical spellcasting 'caste' back during the Judaic Age of Prophecy that surprisingly based on accounts of it told to me by my Orthodox jewish friends is something very similar in capability to regular D&D clerics.

Almost everything in that statement is wrong. But to discuss why it is wrong would violate board rules. PM is you really want to know.

However, if you want a class that mimics some form of super-powered kabbalist (which would be a motif from a much later time period. Age of Prophecy is around 2000 years ago. Kabbalists last 1000 or so) then one would probably want some variant of a truenamer because the entire idea of much of kabbalah revolves around the power of words and and names.

Raenir Salazar
2010-02-19, 01:27 PM
My memory is terrible which is why I am probably paraphrasing extremely incorrectly.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-19, 01:31 PM
My memory is terrible which is why I am probably paraphrasing extremely incorrectly.

No it wouldn't surprise me in the least that you are stating exactly what the person said. People who take Kabbalah seriously often think it is *far* older than it is.

Athaniar
2010-02-19, 01:42 PM
Nevertheless, this is blatantly Real World Religion, which is not allowed. Just so you know. But to actually help you (without any violating discussion): there is a d20 book called Testament (I think it's by Green Ronin) which is about roleplaying in Biblical times. It might have something on this, but I don't remember exactly.

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-19, 08:52 PM
Nevertheless, this is blatantly Real World Religion, which is not allowed. Just so you know. But to actually help you (without any violating discussion): there is a d20 book called Testament (I think it's by Green Ronin) which is about roleplaying in Biblical times. It might have something on this, but I don't remember exactly.

It has Levite Priest and Psalmist. The former is basically a cleric with very flavourful strictures, limited spell selection and bonuses for following the Laws. The latter is a Spellcaster via song with the ability to work really well in groups.

Also has the Prophet, which is basically the Heirophant that actually HAS a flavour and the Judge, which does some old-school smiting [Biblical Judges being very different from modern legal ones...]

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-19, 11:11 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Real world religion is not permitted here - even when it intersects with gaming topics.

Zeta Kai
2010-02-20, 12:35 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Real world religion is not permitted here - even when it intersects with gaming topics.

I'm reporting you for mentioning RL religion. :smalltongue:
Can I report you to you?