PDA

View Full Version : City of Dorunsmere (3.5 IC)

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 10:46 AM
Recruitment-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141387

OOC-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7921647#post7921647

Let's get right into it

On Marketstreet in Dorunsmere, there is life. Not life in the sense that there are living beings, but that the street itself in alive. It breathes, it sleeps, it cries and it laughs. It can be your best friend, setting you off along the Merchantgate road to places unknown, or it can be your worst enemy, scolding you silently when you return, no treasure or stories save the ones of defeat. But of course it is alive. Something can't soak up that much of the blood of it's citizens and not be alive.

The historians will tell you that Dorun's Square, outside the old city hall, is where you go if you want to see somethign historic take place. But the citizens of Dorunsmere know that all those historic events had their start on Merchantstreet. It was here on Merchant Street where Dorun, the founder of the city, collapsed of a heart attack. It was here he was buried, beneath the archway of the Merchantgate. The Order of Illumination, when they first took the city 23 years ago, marched through the Merchantgate onto Merchantstreet, and it was there one year later where Archduchess Amelia's men slaughtered the Order.

Today, another event occurs on Merchantstreet. A tall man, straight of back and stern of face, walks briskly through the crowd. He carries a naked blade in his hands, a large rapier requiring two hands to wield. He wears dark chain mail over which is displayed a tartan. He walks up to a well-dressed man who is counting out some platinum sovereigns, and with three quick stabs the well-dressed man is dead, his coins scattered on the ground, already being picked up by urchins and beggars.

The sword wielding man plants his sword between two cobblestones and kneels, praying silently while the wizard guard approach from their headquarters a district to the north.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 11:57 AM
Another job done, another late night. Lucky for the rather scrawny Dak Overlon, there's not much to be done today, so a full day of rest wouldn't hurt anyone. But nothing is ever perfect. As he stumbles towards the pub, he notices a few men- one being Sirius Macgivvons, a famed adventurer. Dak considered going to ask for his autograph- when he saw something happen...

"This isn't good." Thinks Dak to himself. "Oh boy, this crazy! What's up with that. That guy just killed that other guy... and for no reason either! I don't know, there might be a reason... but either way, if this guy is dangerous, I will never be able to stop him..." He reaches for his gloves, and pulls them off. Then, he tucks them away. "Let's hope he's too busy to notice this..." "Ride the Lightning!"

Those magic words... With a flash of lightning, the transformation begins. Dak is lifted into the sky, his outter appearance covered by crackling electricity. His body, scrawny and useless, tones up. His pale skin becomes bronze, and his short, slightly spiked blond hair becomes long, and appears to be strand of pure gold. The size he is grows larger, and becomes adorned with several pieces of armor plating- his shoulders, and parts of his arms, and his feet. They all are decorated with holy gear.

Then a layer of blue energy forms around his hands. The once small Dak Overlon is no more- now stands The Storm Rider.

Rider looks out, checking to see who noticed that.
(+10 roll on Spot checks)

If Sirius has noticed him, he'll walk up to him slowly.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 12:13 PM
Another job done, another late night. Lucky for the rather scrawny Dak Overlon, there's not much to be done today, so a full day of rest wouldn't hurt anyone. But nothing is ever perfect. As he stumbles towards the pub, he notices a few men- one being Sirius Macgivvons, a famed adventurer. Dak considered going to ask for his autograph- when he saw something happen...

"This isn't good." Thinks Dak to himself. "Oh boy, this crazy! What's up with that. That guy just killed that other guy... and for no reason either! I don't know, there might be a reason... but either way, if this guy is dangerous, I will never be able to stop him..." He reaches for his gloves, and pulls them off. Then, he tucks them away. "Let's hope he's too busy to notice this..." "Ride the Lightning!"

Those magic words... With a flash of lightning, the transformation begins. Dak is lifted into the sky, his outter appearance covered by crackling electricity. His body, scrawny and useless, tones up. His pale skin becomes bronze, and his short, slightly spiked blond hair becomes long, and appears to be strand of pure gold. The size he is grows larger, and becomes adorned with several pieces of armor plating- his shoulders, and parts of his arms, and his feet. They all are decorated with holy gear.

Then a layer of blue energy forms around his hands. The once small Dak Overlon is no more- now stands The Storm Rider.

Rider looks out, checking to see who noticed that.
(+10 roll on Spot checks)

If Sirius has noticed him, he'll walk up to him slowly.

Loud as Dak's transformation may have been, a far louder sound permeates the street. Andaer's wraiths are the first step of action in containing rogue adventurers, and they scream. Loudly. As the fell shades descend upon the street (not hurting anyone just yet), a group of men and women break off from the larger crowd and, producing weapons from their sleeves, hold the crowd back from the scene before them. Complete lockdown of the streets acheived in 18 seconds.

OOC: Dak has the advantage of being away from the main lockdown, and could attempt to get to Sirius. Neither the plain-clothes agents of the Order or the wraiths are going to harm him as a first choice.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 02:54 PM
White Lightning-

Like a bolt of lightning, Rider dashes towards the praying warrior. He's not sure what to do now, or what's going on with the situation. But moving as fast as he can, he'll bolt towards Sirius and extend his hand. "What are you doing?" He asks quickly. "What was that?"

Half-Full
2010-02-19, 03:18 PM
Standing off to the side as the man with the sword stabs the wealthy noble, Renak lifts an eye-brow as the body falls to the ground. This is weird. Killings are usually not done in the streets. Moving closer, he's stopped by the guard locking down the street. Seeing a golden man walk up to the murder Renak raises an eye-brow yet again. Is this a freak-show or something? That is a rather interesting sword though...

"Hey, officer, any idea what this is all about?"

Havelock
2010-02-19, 05:17 PM
Public execution, eh? Law enforcement wouldn't be here if they did not know about it

Thioun takes advantage of his small stature to get coverage from the crowd, positioning himself such that he may dart away to safety at the first sign of danger, though moving faster away from the scene than the majority of those present would be unwise, he makes sure to have an escape route open all the time, tuning his senses in on the events:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

whoiam
2010-02-19, 05:18 PM
Liselle's method of gathering information was a little more direct than that of many of the others. Why ask when you could read? A simple manifestation of 'Read Thoughts' would get her a good five minutes worth of surface thoughts off the crowd. All she had to do now is work her way close enough to the disruption that she could 'hear' something interesting...

3 power points to manifest Read Thoughts. 60' cone of effect, duration 1min/level so long as she continues to concentrate on that power. She's working her way towards the guards and pointing the cone towards the adventurer in the center. Will save negates, if there's any surface thoughts out there you particularly want to hide;)

...a motion that coincidentally ends up placing the short, slight elf a few paces behind Renak, as he tries to extract the same information in a more traditional fashion...

Havelock
2010-02-19, 05:31 PM
Will save: [roll0]

whoiam
2010-02-19, 05:40 PM
OOC: The save DC vs Read Thoughts is 17 (2nd level power, +5 Int bonus), so... try not to stand in front of Liselle for the next five minutes!

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 09:19 PM
White Lightning-

Like a bolt of lightning, Rider dashes towards the praying warrior. He's not sure what to do now, or what's going on with the situation. But moving as fast as he can, he'll bolt towards Sirius and extend his hand. "What are you doing?" He asks quickly. "What was that?"

Sirius looks up at you, and continues to grip his sword and kneel.

"Don't worry lad. I dinnae do anything wrong, and I can prove it. Just leave me be, and let these fine men, women and undead monsters do their work."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 09:20 PM
Standing off to the side as the man with the sword stabs the wealthy noble, Renak lifts an eye-brow as the body falls to the ground. This is weird. Killings are usually not done in the streets. Moving closer, he's stopped by the guard locking down the street. Seeing a golden man walk up to the murder Renak raises an eye-brow yet again. Is this a freak-show or something? That is a rather interesting sword though...

"Hey, officer, any idea what this is all about?"

"Look, I don't have time to chit-chat. This is standard procedure when we're on duty. Now please move along, we'll issue a statement once we get to the bottom of this."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 09:24 PM
Liselle's method of gathering information was a little more direct than that of many of the others. Why ask when you could read? A simple manifestation of 'Read Thoughts' would get her a good five minutes worth of surface thoughts off the crowd. All she had to do now is work her way close enough to the disruption that she could 'hear' something interesting...

3 power points to manifest Read Thoughts. 60' cone of effect, duration 1min/level so long as she continues to concentrate on that power. She's working her way towards the guards and pointing the cone towards the adventurer in the center. Will save negates, if there's any surface thoughts out there you particularly want to hide;)

...a motion that coincidentally ends up placing the short, slight elf a few paces behind Renak, as he tries to extract the same information in a more traditional fashion...

Renak's thoughts would be non-important for the most part, Half-full can say something if desired.

The officer is swearing loudly in her head, words unrepeatable to modest ears. It seems she was just about to get off duty and have an ale when this went down.

Nothing comes from the mind of Sirius, but his mouth moves silently to a prayer.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 09:25 PM
"I saw you do it!" states The Rider. "Don't go lying to me now... But if it's something serious, I'm sure it can be worked out." He's not sure what to do really. It's a bit odd. "But if you insist on trying to fool me, then I'm afraid that it'd be against the laws of this city to let you go." The extended hand starts crackling, though he doesn't make a move to strike.

Intimidate [roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 09:50 PM
"I saw you do it!" states The Rider. "Don't go lying to me now... But if it's something serious, I'm sure it can be worked out." He's not sure what to do really. It's a bit odd. "But if you insist on trying to fool me, then I'm afraid that it'd be against the laws of this city to let you go." The extended hand starts crackling, though he doesn't make a move to strike.

Intimidate [roll0]

"I don't lie lad. I speak the truth. As long as no one makes any sudden movements . . ."

A chill falls over The Rider, as all the warmth in his body starts to ebb and a slight frost settles on his skin. (Fort Save DC 18)

"We'll be fine. Sorry lad. Had to do that to stop ye doing something that will get ye killed."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-19, 09:52 PM
"Wha... what's going on here!?" The Rider starts to feel the sensation, and tries to fight it off, but it's not happening. Even with the boost of celestial health he has.

[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-19, 09:57 PM
"Wha... what's going on here!?" The Rider starts to feel the sensation, and tries to fight it off, but it's not happening. Even with the boost of celestial health he has.

[roll0]

The Rider stands paralyzed for now, but unharmed.

Grumman
2010-02-20, 06:20 AM
When Foehn sees the armed man approach, the first thing she does is get out of his way. He ignores her, thankfully, but surprises her by cutting down a human male in full sight of the crowd. She barely has time to consider taking advantage of the distraction before an Outsider appears in a crack of thunder and Andaer's wraiths fly down from overhead, all homing in on the murderer.

Despite the presence of the wraiths, she pushes closer to the cordon, trying to overhear what was happening. Whoever the assassinated man was, if he had platinum, he had contacts. Anything she could discover about why he was killed or the man that killed him might be worth something to the right people.

Will save: [roll0]

Half-Full
2010-02-20, 04:39 PM
[roll0]

Surface thoughts:
I wonder how that sword would be used best... Piercing strikes seems obvious... Due to it's length, one may be able to slash though. Slightly too flimsy though and it may not be able to block a greatsword. It'd be interesting to fight with such a sword some time.

"Hmph. If you wanna be all up-tight, I guess I can't do anything about it."

Renak starts moving away from the crowd and towards the arena.

Should probably do some preparing before the fight anyway. Wouldn't wanna lose.

Critical
2010-02-20, 05:01 PM
Hochod has moved in the crowd and reached the place where the public execution. What the hell... He could do it in a tavern, or something, but not in the public place! Who is this guy anyway?! He also noticed someone standing paralyzed beside the man. Hochod swiftly moved through the crowd and started speaking to the both parties. "What's dat all about? Y'all can't go round killin' people like that! Do it y'all in some corner, ll'right?" - he finished and turned his sight towards the paralyzed man. - "Why y'all dat frightened of? Didn't ya ever see a man gettin killed?"

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-21, 10:54 AM
The air "pulls" slightly towards the middle of the street, and you can see certain people in the crowd lean forward towards an invisible point in the street. The wraiths and guard seem unaffected.

A crackle of energy and a flash of light, accompanied by "-port!", signal the arrival of a man standing over Sirius. He wears his siver hair braided into one long braid, hanging over his crimson mantle, and he is covered from head to toe in a baroque and crystalline suit of full-plate. He appears to be in his sixties or seventies, and holds a staff in one hand and a set of manacles in the other.

"Come now Sirius. You know what I'm about to do. Hold out your hands and come quietly, we'll see what we can do. Tele-"

And the wraiths go wild, wheeling up into the air, shrieking as they go.

The guards disappear, some quite literally, others scattering into the crowd.

And Merchant Street breathes again. (Dak is no longer paralyzed)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Among the crowds of people trying to deny anything happened and just get on with their day, there is one man who stands out as not doing such.

A lithe drow is walking towards the people who interfered in the procedings, chewing some gum arabic. He wears an old scarlet military uniform from some eastern country, open and dishevelled. He takes off a pair of pince-nez with green lens, and rubs them on his forearm.

"Does anyone want to explain what happened here?"

Jesse Drake
2010-02-21, 11:57 AM
The Rider stands up, a bit dazed. He checks around to see if there's anyone who might have seen it- as well as searching the area for any clues as to what might have happened.

Okay, I'm searching the area of the dead man and the area of Sirius, that's 4 minutes total witht he taking 20 option, then I'm retiring behind one of the buildings nearby.

Critical
2010-02-21, 03:23 PM
What in the bloody hells? - Hochod thought, going over the dead body to inspect it.

Come to the dead man, take 20 on search of his body, see if I know him or if he has anything special about him.

Havelock
2010-02-21, 05:16 PM
Thioun remains standing, deciding to eavesdrop on any conversation the drow might start, could be interesting to hear what would be said, remaining hidden inside the crowd as much as possible.

Grumman
2010-02-21, 06:04 PM
Amateurs.

"Here, let me do it."

A drow girl wearing dark goggles pushes her way out of the crowd. If she was a human you'd say she was about eighteen years old, although it's harder to judge with an elf.

"I'd say I've got a better chance of finding anything than either of you do. So how about I look for you, and you give me a couple of gold sovereigns in exchange for whatever you think's of interest. Seem fair?"

Foehn has a +13 Search modifier, so if they agree to her terms, she'll do their searching for them. If they both choose to take 10 to Aid Another, that brings the modifier up to +17.

whoiam
2010-02-22, 03:59 AM
Eavesdropping was easy when everyone you wanted to eavesdrop *on* had failed their will save. (Yes, even Foehn was a point short of the 17 she needed). Of course, it raised it's own problems: Firstly you had to remain facing the site of the search, which could be a problem in a dispersing crowd. Secondly, if you decided to join the conversation later, it would be hard to justify how and why you know what they were talking about...

Those are chances I will just have to take. Liselle thought to herself, as she backed in the direction of a convenient piece of wall. If you had to point your back in a particular direction, stick it against something nice and solid...

Jesse Drake
2010-02-22, 07:28 AM
The Rider does stop looking- only cause suddenly he was swarmed by people. All of them could be potential witnesses, so he couldn't interrogate them as is. So with a quick dash, he heads behind the nearest building and changes back, with a crack of lightning.

Then as Dak, he returns. "So..." he begins. "Did you guys see that?" he asks quickly, somewhat out of breath. "I... if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions..."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-22, 10:00 AM
The drow coughs slightly inot his hand.

"As would I. Let's start with the obvious, what did Sirius do here? What was the man he killed wearing?"

Critical
2010-02-22, 10:34 AM
The dwarf looks up at the drow and stared long at her. For some reason, he decided the best would be to let her do it. "L'right, but I keep me eye on ye!" - Hochod said aiding the drow, ready to grapple her at any moment because him untrusting her. Then, he looked at the male drow. "Uh, a clown suit, me thinks!" - he said with sarcasm end ending with a chuckle.

Take 10 and aid Foehn in searching the body, ready an action to grapple her if she moves away with the scavenged. ;)

Grumman
2010-02-22, 03:19 PM
"...Right, no problem."

Foehn quickly got to work searching the body, trying to ignore the burly dwarf intruding on her personal space. She was starting to have second thoughts about this after the Outsider had run off, but the dwarf didn't look like the sort that would take kindly to her backing out now.

Taking 20, Foehn and Hochod get a search check of 35. Do we find anything of interest on the body?

Half-Full
2010-02-22, 03:54 PM
Seeing a drow who obviously wants to get to the bottom of this murder in the middle of the street intrigues Renak. That training can wait. Approaching the drow, Renak hears the initial question and gives out a short laugh.

"You obviously wasn't around. The man with the flimsy looking sword stabbed this poor fellow three times. He didn't take it too well."

Looking at the others, Renak seems almost amused at how some people just can't leave things alone. I guess I can't either.

"Now, would someone mind telling me what kind of sword it was the murder used?"

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-22, 06:14 PM
Seeing a drow who obviously wants to get to the bottom of this murder in the middle of the street intrigues Renak. That training can wait. Approaching the drow, Renak hears the initial question and gives out a short laugh.

"You obviously wasn't around. The man with the flimsy looking sword stabbed this poor fellow three times. He didn't take it too well."

Looking at the others, Renak seems almost amused at how some people just can't leave things alone. I guess I can't either.

"Now, would someone mind telling me what kind of sword it was the murder used?"

"Let me first introduce myself. I am professor K'hesh Vi Baenndar, of Dorunsmere University. I know the "murderer", as you put it, personally. Good friend of mine. As to your question, it's called an elven courtblade, though it's not made of any metal I've ever seen. It appears to be made of a sort of resin, though Sirius can't or won't tell me where he got it."

whoiam
2010-02-22, 06:21 PM
"There are plenty looking for owners, if you're willing to brave the undead to loot them."

Liselle was doubtless as surprised as the others to hear herself speak - possibly even more so, since she'd been deliberately avoiding it. Well, now they knew she had been eavesdropping (although not how;)) she might as well put her two copper pieces in.

"There aren't many members of the elven courts - not the militaristic ones, at any rate - left these days. That's what happens when you get overrun by the living dead. Most of our 'special' equipment was lost when we were driven out of our old homelands. Sadly, so was most of the material needed to make new ones. And no, there's no point in asking me for the details of how and why they were built. I didn't spend enough of my childhood back in elven lands to learn that sort of secret."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-22, 06:27 PM
"There are plenty looking for owners, if you're willing to brave the undead to loot them."

Liselle was doubtless as surprised as the others to hear herself speak - possibly even more so, since she'd been deliberately avoiding it. Well, now they knew she had been eavesdropping (although not how;)) she might as well put her two copper pieces in.

"There aren't many members of the elven courts - not the militaristic ones, at any rate - left these days. That's what happens when you get overrun by the living dead. Most of our 'special' equipment was lost when we were driven out of our old homelands. Sadly, so was most of the material needed to make new ones. And no, there's no point in asking me for the details of how and why they were built. I didn't spend enough of my childhood back in elven lands to learn that sort of secret."

K'hesh turns a sharp 90 degrees to face Liselle.

"The battle of the Green City or Yg'hasa? Which one did you "lose your life" to? I remember, I answered the call for allies and fought at Yg'hasa."

whoiam
2010-02-22, 06:32 PM
"It makes little difference. I am barely an adult NOW, what chance did I have to fight then? I hid, but they found me. Beyond that it no longer matters."

Keep guessing, 'friend'...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-22, 07:03 PM
"It makes little difference. I am barely an adult NOW, what chance did I have to fight then? I hid, but they found me. Beyond that it no longer matters."

Keep guessing, 'friend'...

Liselle
Poor girl. Do me a favour and keep reading my thoughts, I won't resist. I need someone to verify the sincerity of my claims.

"To be brief all of you, I need someone to look into where this gentleman got his platinum sovereigns. Platsovs haven't been seen around Dorunsmere since the fall of the king twenty one years ago, and even then they were out of mint for the better part of a century."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-22, 07:15 PM
Dak carefully jots down notes while the two speak- he's a bit worn out from the running around and the exciting events going on.

whoiam
2010-02-22, 07:25 PM
Quietly: "Well, that takes all the fun out of it."

I wonder if this is a good time to practice my blanking? 1....2....3...4...5...6...7...8...9...

Normally: "I cannot speak for the rest of them - I'm not entirely sure who any of them are, for starters - but I will happily investigate anything with platinum in it."

Jesse Drake
2010-02-23, 07:56 AM
Dak considers all the possibilities. "So... I'm in." he says quietly. He'll save his questions for later. As he speaks, a single, very tiny, flick of electricity crawls from the palm of his hand and then fades away. He quickly puts back on his gloves, which start to frost over a bit, but are fine.

Critical
2010-02-23, 08:54 AM
Hochod thought about the ups and downs of the proposal. Weighing the good on the one side and the bad on the other, he then decided it would be best to comply. After all, beating up the whole tavern got old already. "Ye can count me in if either the reward is good or I get someone to punch and kick!" - the dwarf said ending with a small chuckle, observing his new companions. Teehee. This seems like it's going to be fun.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-23, 08:58 AM
Dak looks at his company with a slight amount of unease. Kicking- man, one kick from this guy could kill me! Good thing I'm on his side... Then he remembered a time he, and he being The Rider, and some lovely lady whom wore blue energy, teamed up, and the lady accidentally hit him. Things happen, and hopefully he'll be The Rider if it happens again.

Corey
2010-02-24, 02:51 AM
Dressed in his shimmering clothes -- in a rich red/blue/purple color scheme despite the morning hour, playing well with his blue hair and eyes and chalky white skin -- Silkjewel was on his way out of the City Hall anyway when things got lively. Courtesy no longer requiring or even permitting him to continue his final conversation, he hustles outside.

He, too, starts with mindreading.

Detect Thoughts, and for simplicity let's assume he picked up the same things as Liselle. Except -- come to think of it, that's a DC 18 save for Liselle if she doesn't feel like sharing. ;)

Listening to the story, he waves to various people in the crowd he knows. As he does so, he reflects on whether the whole thing rings any bells.

Knowledge (something) to draw conclusions about the victim. [roll0]

Corey
2010-02-24, 02:52 AM
Oops/to continue:

Knowledge (something) to draw conclusions about the killer. [roll0]
Knowledge (something) to draw further conclusions about the story to this point. [roll1]

whoiam
2010-02-24, 05:56 AM
Will save vs Corey: [roll0]
He has a save to make vs Liselle as well, as soon as he walks into the region of the corpse y'know:p

Hochod is the one who actually rates a reply at this point: "If you try punching and kicking me, I'm setting your beard on fire. Just saying."

Critical
2010-02-24, 07:57 AM
Will save vs Detect Thoughts [roll0]

The dwarf turned to the elf, who threatened him. "Dis has been done several times, and de burner wasn't treated too nicely after dat!" - he said, slightly showing his teeth in anger. - "And don't dare ye threaten me! Keep ye mouth under control and ye should do fine."

EDIT:
OK, as I failed it, Hochod has angry thoughts about Liselle.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-24, 08:01 AM
Will- [roll0]

Wow- a 2... The thoughts of getting beat by the angry dwarf are filling his head, and the occasional mention of some 'Rider'.

whoiam
2010-02-24, 08:29 AM
"I said 'if'. If you'd rather get angry than pay attention to conditionals, that's your business."

Thankfully, Silkjewel isn't able to read Liselle's thoughts at the present time - Yay for will saves!.

I always forget that when it comes to dwarves, carefully crafted role-establishment speeches are less important than running a long way away and tossing fire at them from range.

Critical
2010-02-24, 08:37 AM
"If, if. It still stays threatening, ye bloody elf!" - Hochod said, looking at Liselle. She thinks she's clever...

whoiam
2010-02-24, 08:41 AM
Hmm, should I...? Yes. After all, establishing yourself as useful is the best way to establish yourself as someone not to be knifed in their sleep.

"Most Telepaths are, Hochod. Clever enough to know the difference between threatening to hurt someone in self-defense, and just being threatening in general, at any rate. And I get the strangest feeling you're smart enough to know that difference to, which leads to the conclusion that you're not so much offended by my words as deliberately trying to pick a fight..."

I'm not entirely sure what his response will be to that. But I suspect it will be either fun or terrifying to watch.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-24, 08:48 AM
"Telepath..." Dak gasps under his breath. Dak Overlon, Dak Overlon, Dak Overlon... Aw, crap, I'm not sure how long I can keep this up. I know, I just won't think about him. Yeah, The Rider is out of my mind as of now. Note, to whoever is "listening in", you have no idea who this Rider is.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-24, 08:54 AM
K'hesh eyes the two bickering people strangely, wondering what is going on.

"It figures, and elf and a dwarf are at each other's throats."

He notices Silkjewel.

"Hey, aren't you the young man who fixes my coffee? I've been looking for you."

Corey
2010-02-24, 09:10 AM
Silkjewel smiles.

Of course. Making coffee is, if not an art, at least a craft. I often fix it personally, and proudly so. But others at Starcrowns do so as well as I -- or very close. ;)

His advertisement for Starcrowns made, he walks closer to K'hesh.

Good chance that now puts him in range of Lisette's telepathy.

Will: [roll0]

Assuming that's too low -- well, his thoughts are along the lines of

Obviously not the most attentive or engaged customer we've ever had, but a decent guy even so. Interesting cross-currents here ...

Plus a couple of possibilities to calm the unruly crowd quickly considered and as quickly discarded as unpromising.

As he walks he mumbles and wiggles a bit.

Casting Friendly Face. +5 bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information.

Critical
2010-02-24, 09:22 AM
"Oh please, ye think reading thoughts can impress me? Ye still get stuff wrong! I am offended by de fact, dat ye think I'm unreliable!" - with that finished, he decided that thinking less around Liselle would be the best option. - "Anyway, are we going or not?"

whoiam
2010-02-24, 09:36 AM
"Unreliable is not the word I would have chosen."

I would have considered him extremely reliable. Unfortunately, I would have considered him reliable in the 'killing me' sense. Not the kind of reliability you hope for, really.

"But yes, I am going. You and Dak have also displayed an interest... leaving just little-miss-Drow" The bitterness in Liselle's voice when referring to her subterranean cousins was pretty easy to catch. They're in her list of pet hates, beaten out pretty much exclusively by the Undead. "and the coffeemaker to decide if they are coming along."

Calling her little-miss-drow because... well, 24 is pretty young for a Drow or Elf...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-24, 10:06 AM
"Unreliable is not the word I would have chosen."

I would have considered him extremely reliable. Unfortunately, I would have considered him reliable in the 'killing me' sense. Not the kind of reliability you hope for, really.

"But yes, I am going. You and Dak have also displayed an interest... leaving just little-miss-Drow" The bitterness in Liselle's voice when referring to her subterranean cousins was pretty easy to catch. They're in her list of pet hates, beaten out pretty much exclusively by the Undead. "and the coffeemaker to decide if they are coming along."

Calling her little-miss-drow because... well, 24 is pretty young for a Drow or Elf...

K'hesh raises an eyebrow and chuckles.

"Now now, can't you sisters get along? Can't let the boys get the better of you, can we?"

He scratches a patch of silver hair at his temple, contrasted ever slightly with his bright white hair.

Grumman
2010-02-24, 10:21 AM
A momentary look of surprise crosses Foehn's face as she looks up at Liselle. She had been trying to focus solely on her work, a half-remembered defense against mind reading, and in the hopes of escaping the notice of the feuding pair.

"My name is Foehn. But yes, I'll help. Just give me a minute to finish what I'm doing. He agreed to pay if I found anything." And I'd rather he was in a good enough mood to keep his word.

Corey
2010-02-24, 07:25 PM
Momentarily ignored, Silkjewel asks K'hesh in his best table-serving voice:

So, why were you seeking me out?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-24, 10:07 PM
Momentarily ignored, Silkjewel asks K'hesh in his best table-serving voice:

So, why were you seeking me out?

"Cup of coffee? Why else? Oh, but you could be of some help in this case. I here you've some pull with, well, everyone."

Corey
2010-02-25, 12:43 AM
"Cup of coffee? Why else? Oh, but you could be of some help in this case. I here you've some pull with, well, everyone."

Silkjewel offers a merry laugh.

Of course! And discussing this over coffee has much to recommend it. But first -- is there anything to learn that might be helped by talking with all these nice witnesses who have gathered around, before they disperse?

Critical
2010-02-25, 09:14 AM
The dwarf got impatient and tired of waiting. "So, are we going or not?" - he said in a slightly angered voice.

whoiam
2010-02-25, 09:53 AM
"Yes, yes, we're going. You go ahead, we'll catch up later."

Turning her attention to K'hesh instead, she asks a more relevant question. "Do you have any idea where we should start looking? Or, for that matter, who the 'victim' was? It is too large a city to search without a decent idea of what we are after..."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-25, 10:05 AM
"Yes, yes, we're going. You go ahead, we'll catch up later."

Turning her attention to K'hesh instead, she asks a more relevant question. "Do you have any idea where we should start looking? Or, for that matter, who the 'victim' was? It is too large a city to search without a decent idea of what we are after..."

K'hesh claps his hands together.

"Yes, I do believe I know where to get started. A few good places to go for information would be the Hourglass bar, in the Congeries Attero, and the Dive with no name. The first is where you'll find the guard who cordoned off this street, once they are off duty, and the second is the last place the victim was seen alive."

Corey
2010-02-25, 10:13 AM
Silkjewel clicks his heels and gives a short bow, in an artistic impression of a military salute.

Then the no-name Dive it is, for starters, the Hourglass Bar later, and back at Starcrowns for discussion last of all!

Starjewel winks.

K'hesh -- may I invite your associates here to Starcrowns this evening, and feed them on your tab?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-25, 10:15 AM
Silkjewel clicks his heels and gives a short bow, in an artistic impression of a military salute.

Then the no-name Dive it is, for starters, the Hourglass Bar later, and back at Starcrowns for discussion last of all!

Starjewel winks.

K'hesh -- may I invite your associates here to Starcrowns this evening, and feed them on your tab?

"Hell, Use my tab to hire pressgangs to bring them if they don't come! The university's payroll is far too great for me to spend by myself, especially when I also go adventuring!"

Corey
2010-02-25, 10:20 AM
Then I hope you will come as well!

Starjewel winks again.

Meanwhile, if we buy somebody a drink, that's on your tab too. At least they'll be cheap ones!

Starjewel looks around, making eye contact with some of those K'hesh has been recruiting.

You're in for a treat! But first, we have work to do. Off to the Dive! Just let me do the talking; it's one of my professional skills.

By the way, they call me Starjewel.

Half-Full
2010-02-25, 03:11 PM
Standing silent throughout the exchanges, just smirking every now and then, Renak just follows as soon as every one heads for the Dive.

"I'm tagging along as well. Something tells me this will beat fighting in the arena any day! And oh, I'm Renak."

As Starjewel introduced himself, Renak realised that it might be a good idea to do the same.

"If things go badly, just let me do the hitting; it's one of my professional skills," Renak says with a smile and indicates his almost ridiculous sword strapped on his back.

Critical
2010-02-25, 03:38 PM
Hochod decided to ignore the annoying psion elf. When Starjewel introduced himself, he did so in return. "Hochod. Hochod Beamfist. Now lets get going, I'm tired of dis place!" With that, he followed Starjewel.

Corey
2010-02-26, 01:35 AM
Greetings, Renak! You carry yourself as a mighty performer indeed! And Hochod Beamfist, well-met indeed.

Starjewel looks a little distracted, as if he were concentrating on something silent. But within a couple of minutes he's ready to head off.

Unless I'm already confused -- which is all too possible! -- Detect Thoughts should still be active for use on a few NPCs, e.g. the killer and K'Hesh.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-26, 01:36 AM
Greetings, Renak! You carry yourself as a mighty performer indeed! And Hochod Beamfist, well-met indeed.

Starjewel looks a little distracted, as if he were concentrating on something silent. But within a couple of minutes he's ready to head off.

Unless I'm already confused -- which is all too possible! -- Detect Thoughts should still be active for use on a few NPCs, e.g. the killer and K'Hesh.

OOC: and there's a good explanation for both. K'hesh has resisted and the killer isn't THERE.

Grumman
2010-02-26, 02:23 AM
Foehn wipes her hands clean on the corpse's sleeve before standing.

"I didn't find anything of note on the body. Not even a key or any kind of scrip. Maybe he had allies he didn't want identified."

Sleight of hand for taking the coins: [roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-26, 08:19 AM
The Dive with no name is a small hut connected to a series of underground caves in the Red-Light District. It was dug out one hundred years ago by a rum runner, and then a bar was built on top of it. Nothing good ever happens here, but this is where you go if you don't want the guard to find you.

Jesse Drake
2010-02-26, 08:31 AM
Dak puffs hisself up a bit, and brushes his hair in front of his face. Some of these people might recognize him as that pesky kid who had been spying on them, people he had attempted to put away. He stands near Hochod. He seems dependable.

Corey
2010-02-26, 08:43 AM
Silkjewel turns back to K'hesh one more time, before leaving.

Um, K'hesh -- it sounds as if you know more about the victim than we do. Would you care to enlighten us before we go running off, or do you have deep dark reasons for making this all a mystery?

Unless you have a great need for secrecy, some more information might help us -- either now or later in a more private venue.

Silkjewel offers a winning smile.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-02-26, 08:58 AM
Silkjewel turns back to K'hesh one more time, before leaving.

Um, K'hesh -- it sounds as if you know more about the victim than we do. Would you care to enlighten us before we go running off, or do you have deep dark reasons for making this all a mystery?

Unless you have a great need for secrecy, some more information might help us -- either now or later in a more private venue.

Silkjewel offers a winning smile.

"Well, I honestly don't know anything about the victim. He shows up, Sirius kills him."

Corey
2010-02-26, 09:17 AM
"Well, I honestly don't know anything about the victim. He shows up, Sirius kills him."

Well, that puts a different twist on things.

Let me ask something else, then -- what kinds of people is Sirius particularly likely to kill in what he obviously conceived of as some kind of execution?

And for that matter -- what, if anything, does Sirius do when he isn't killing people?

Grumman
2010-02-26, 09:20 AM
"You said he had been seen at the Dive. I would also like to know how you knew this."

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-01, 10:24 PM
"You said he had been seen at the Dive. I would also like to know how you knew this."

"I know this, my little sister, because I own the Dive. Holdover from my days as a rum-runner last century."

Corey
2010-03-01, 11:03 PM
Silkjewel laughs. Then I'll DEFINITELY put our drinks on your tab!

Um ... do you serve anything that one CAN drink without getting poisoned?

His merry grin shows that he does not mean to give real insult.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-01, 11:29 PM
Silkjewel laughs. Then I'll DEFINITELY put our drinks on your tab!

Um ... do you serve anything that one CAN drink without getting poisoned?

His merry grin shows that he does not mean to give real insult.

K'hesh guffahs.

"Nope."

Corey
2010-03-02, 12:36 AM
Silkjewel dramatically wiggles his fingers in front of him.

As long as you're not LITERALLY poisoning your customers -- which would surely be bad for business -- I think I can fix the matter ...

... although perhaps it would be cheaper to just buy something decent along the way.

C'mon people -- we have a case to -- er, to DIVE into. Who could possibly be more reliable witnesses than people drinking into the morning at just a fine and upstanding establishment?

Grumman
2010-03-03, 10:41 AM
"In that case, lead the way."

whoiam
2010-03-03, 10:53 AM
"The average cobble stone would be a more reliable witness" Liselle muttered, but in a good natured way. She was as eager to get moving as the rest of them - especially because until her telepathy timed out again, she'd be feeling all their enthusiasm as well as her own.

This is why you never wanted to use telepathy on recovering addicts. The worst feeling in the world was suffering withdrawal without ever having had the habit in the first place!

Liselle rounded off her little comic interlude by poking Silkjewel in the side with a finger. "Come on, come on. The sooner we get moving, the sooner I can make you taste test the drinks until we find something the rest of us can have..."

Half-Full
2010-03-03, 04:22 PM
"Don't worry about the taste testing. I'll take care of that," Renak says and winks. "Bartender, give something that doesn't taste like a rats ass in goblin piss."

Havelock
2010-03-03, 06:02 PM
Thioun decided he had seen (and heard) enough, and went about with his business, well, actually that business went down on the priority list, Dobrek would want to know of this, Cheveraux too, perhaps, they'd probably receive the information around now anyway, but there is a difference between the grapevine and a witness that knows what is likely to be important and what is likely to not be.

At any rate, if the old man had need of him, he'd say something, then again, he may not have noticed Thioun in the first place, a good thing really, that dark elven girl looked at people in a strange way, and she said something about Psionics, better not to be spotted at all, but on the other hand, the professor seemed to have more than enough cash to care about what to spend it on, and a simple investigation should prove less risky than assassinations.....

Moving across the street, Thioun made sure to walk behind the girl's back, yet within sight of the old man.

Corey
2010-03-03, 09:08 PM
Good plan -- let the poison-resistant go first! Seriously, if you find something not too terrible, I can work some -- er, some magic on it to liven it up. A fine display of my skills it might be!

He turns back to Liselle. As for you, young lady -- tell me when we get back to Starcrowns if you want to play slap-and-tickle some more.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-04, 09:16 AM
The bartender at the dive pours some thick syrupy drinks for everyone. The place buzzes with talk of the recent murder, it's news already spread by K'hesh in order to cover your inquiry.

Corey
2010-03-04, 09:55 AM
Starjewel takes the tiniest of tastes from the glass, grimaces, and confers with the barkeep, who soon is drawing a very large pitcher of the stuff. While he works, Starjewel goes over to what, in lieu of a stage, at least passes for a place to perform.

Let's see. What's a good song about murder? A nice cheerful song about murder. Maybe dockside -- yes, just the thing!

He takes out his lute, mutters a few words, puts his foot up on a chair, and begins to sing.

Casting Friendly Face. No particular bardic music effect; he's just drawing attention to himself.

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear

And it shows them pearly white

Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe

And he keeps it … ah … out of sight.

Ya know when that shark bites, with his teeth, babe

Scarlet billows start to spread

Fancy gloves, though, wears old MacHeath, babe

So there’s nevah, nevah a trace of red.

Yes, that line forms on the right, babe

Now that Macky’s back in town …

Look out … old Macky is back!!

Then he looks for somebody in the crowd who looks A. Alert B. Interested in talking C. Like he's been there for a while, even though these criteria are a little bit contradictory. Since the question is one of having observed an oddly wealthy patron, a thief or whore might be ideal.

Gather Information [roll0]

Critical
2010-03-04, 10:21 AM
As soon as they got into a bar, Hochod felt himself like at the second home. He drank some of the drinks offered to him, while listening to Silkjewels singing. He didn't particularily like it, but it was good for an improvisation none the less, so he remained kind of neutral. Well, what he decided to do was pretty common for what he was doing in a bar - set up a drinking contest! He started scanning the place for someone who would likely compete with him.

Gather Info? [roll0]
EDIT: At least not in the negatives :P

Half-Full
2010-03-04, 06:15 PM
Sipping the drink and finding that it didn't taste too bad, Renak sat back and started to relax while Starjewel sung. Seeing Hochod scanning the room with a competitive look, Renak realised immediately what was going on.

"Hochod! I'll drink with you!"

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-04, 11:59 PM
Then he looks for somebody in the crowd who looks A. Alert B. Interested in talking C. Like he's been there for a while, even though these criteria are a little bit contradictory. Since the question is one of having observed an oddly wealthy patron, a thief or whore might be ideal.

Gather Information [roll0]

A patron who at first glance appears to be a little girl, but on a second look is too . . . well endowed . . . (a halfling).

"I saw that guy. Tall, money, bad reflexes. Was going to hit him up for his cash tonight."

Critical
2010-03-05, 12:51 PM
Hochod broke into a little evil-looking smile as the Human offered to drink with him. "Now ye talkin!" - he said, and turned to the patron. - "Get some booze over here, mate, we making a drinking contest!"

Corey
2010-03-05, 01:16 PM
A patron who at first glance appears to be a little girl, but on a second look is too . . . well endowed . . . (a halfling).

"I saw that guy. Tall, money, bad reflexes. Was going to hit him up for his cash tonight."

Starjewel smiles. You don't say?! He beckons her to a table, waves his hands theatrically over a carafe of the local booze, and pours two glasses. Sipping his, he smiles. Pure ambrosia, if you know what you're doing.

Prestidigitation. I didn't RP the song part.

So, Beautiful -- what else did you notice about this guy?

Grumman
2010-03-06, 02:01 AM
Assuming word hasn't gotten back here of the murder, Foehn ignores the offer of free drinks and instead approaches a few people. Using the change purse as a prop, she describes the dead man, claiming she saw him drop the purse and that she wants to return it.

Bluff: [roll0]
Gather information: [roll1]

whoiam
2010-03-08, 06:01 AM
"I will settle for a water, thank you."

Telepaths are never popular drunks. When you spend your tipsy time recounting everyone else's most embaressing thoughts, they tend not to be pleased.

I just wish someone had warned me about that before they'd offered me that first drink...

The big question was what to do next: Let her companions go about their business? Presumeably they knew what they were doing. Fire up another casting of 'read thoughts'? She could do, but... well, the thoughts you read near a bar were never pleasant. Just go talk to people? She was pretty good at that, but coffeeboy was probably better.

I just feel so... superfluous... here, right now.

Oh, no. I just said 'superfluous' to myself, didn't I? Last time I thought like that... yeah, good thing noone saw how the fire got started. I'm not practicing my elements in here. Too much alcohol, too many witnesses.

I'll go watch coffeeboy work...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-10, 12:34 PM
Starjewel smiles. You don't say?! He beckons her to a table, waves his hands theatrically over a carafe of the local booze, and pours two glasses. Sipping his, he smiles. Pure ambrosia, if you know what you're doing.

Prestidigitation. I didn't RP the song part.

So, Beautiful -- what else did you notice about this guy?

"He was making friends with some shady characters, lookin' to score some face time with guildmaster Wynnstan, the godfather of Dorunsmere."

Corey
2010-03-12, 10:02 PM
"He was making friends with some shady characters, lookin' to score some face time with guildmaster Wynnstan, the godfather of Dorunsmere."

Thank you! You are a most observant young lady! I would for love you to come by Starcrowns some time. Bring a "friend" if you like, sample our wares, and perhaps one of our fantasy suites as well. If it's not otherwise spoken for, I'll give you the friends-and-family bargain price, and you're free to take whatever markup you can get. Just please make sure anybody you bring is sober enough to appreciate the more refined things in life.

So did you notice anything else?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-13, 12:26 AM
Thank you! You are a most observant young lady! I would for love you to come by Starcrowns some time. Bring a "friend" if you like, sample our wares, and perhaps one of our fantasy suites as well. If it's not otherwise spoken for, I'll give you the friends-and-family bargain price, and you're free to take whatever markup you can get. Just please make sure anybody you bring is sober enough to appreciate the more refined things in life.

So did you notice anything else?

"I'm sorry, but are you suggesting I'm a lady of the night? How very preposterous. I did notice that he went into the jade room. It's a room only a few people have the key to, and it leads to the sewers. From there, anything is your business."

Corey
2010-03-13, 02:53 PM
"I'm sorry, but are you suggesting I'm a lady of the night? How very preposterous. I did notice that he went into the jade room. It's a room only a few people have the key to, and it leads to the sewers. From there, anything is your business."

Silkjewel raises his hand in mock taken-aback horror, and smiles even more warmly.

I don't know about you, but I have many professions. Most of them involve pleasing the senses. Calling you a lady of the night would be a compliment in my estimation, not an insult. But I confess, all I know is that you have the qualifications for the career. Whether you actually ever pursue it is entirely your own business.

So anyhow -- did our subject pass into the Jade Room alone, or did somebody let him in?

Critical
2010-03-13, 03:19 PM
Hey, Hochod and Renak are probably having a drinking contest, though Half-Full didn't post that he actually drinks yet. So, we roll Fortitude?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-13, 08:44 PM
Hey, Hochod and Renak are probably having a drinking contest, though Half-Full didn't post that he actually drinks yet. So, we roll Fortitude?

Go for it.

Critical
2010-03-14, 04:09 PM
The Hochod swiftly drank everything on the table. He had a lot of experience. And well, he was a dwarf. "Ya be drinkin' wif da best, mate!" - he said with bubbling, while chugging another mug.

Fortitude: [roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-14, 05:33 PM
Silkjewel raises his hand in mock taken-aback horror, and smiles even more warmly.

I don't know about you, but I have many professions. Most of them involve pleasing the senses. Calling you a lady of the night would be a compliment in my estimation, not an insult. But I confess, all I know is that you have the qualifications for the career. Whether you actually ever pursue it is entirely your own business.

So anyhow -- did our subject pass into the Jade Room alone, or did somebody let him in?

"Well I'd have to say that the 'subject' would have to have been let into the Jade Room, otherwise he couldn't have gotten in."

Corey
2010-03-14, 06:25 PM
"Well I'd have to say that the 'subject' would have to have been let into the Jade Room, otherwise he couldn't have gotten in."

So who around here has the ability to let somebody into the Jade Room? Or does one just go up to the door and knock?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-03-14, 06:26 PM
So who around here has the ability to let somebody into the Jade Room? Or does one just go up to the door and knock?

"Well . . . there would be K'hesh. And the bartender, Isaiah."

Corey
2010-03-14, 06:39 PM
"Well . . . there would be K'hesh. And the bartender, Isaiah."

Silkjewel laughs heartily. K'hesh? That figures!

Um, did you see K'hesh around while the dear departed was here, or anything else that links them?

Half-Full
2010-03-16, 04:01 PM
The Hochod swiftly drank everything on the table. He had a lot of experience. And well, he was a dwarf. "Ya be drinkin' wif da best, mate!" - he said with bubbling, while chugging another mug.

"The best, you say? We'll see about that!"

Seeing Hochod down the drink though puts Renak aback. He knows he cannot drink like that without incredible luck.

"Down it goes!"

[roll0]