PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my computer, plz help!

Dvandemon
2010-02-20, 10:00 PM
So my computer is acting strange, it keeps saying that the fan doesn't work, that the virtual memory's low and when I check the Task Manager, it says I have 46 processes! Anyone know what processes are? It says I can end them but I don't want to make it worse (a lot of them have identical image names)

RS14
2010-02-20, 11:54 PM
it keeps saying that the fan doesn't work

Fix this first. Try cleaning it out with compressed air. If that doesn't work, you'll need to replace it.

the virtual memory's low

That means your computer is trying to use more RAM than it has. So it's storing data on the hard drive (which slows access dramatically). The space reserved for that is running out.

What processes in the task manager show the most memory usage? Possibly you can eliminate some of the software that is using so much memory.
Alternatively, add more RAM.

and when I check the Task Manager, it says I have 46 processes! Anyone know what processes are? It says I can end them but I don't want to make it worse (a lot of them have identical image names)
That is typical. Think of them as programs, except that it includes things integral to the system, and some programs may spawn multiple processes. I have 63 currently. Don't kill processes without good reason.