PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Dice

truemane
2010-02-23, 03:19 PM
Once upon a time table-top role-playing consumed every spare moment of my life. But, of course, time and age and responsibility wore away at my free time until I wound up here, not having role-played face-to-face in many a long year.

Now, my eight-year old son has seen me playing on-line via PbP and seen me muck with the numbers and play with the pictures and has expressed a keen interest in trying out this whole 'role-playing' thing.

Which is great. Good times.

HOWEVER now that I try to dig the implements of my trade, I find that my venerable dice bag has vanished. At some point in its years-long term of storage it has decided to just cease existing.

So I need some dice. Which, I suppose means I'll have to go to my FNGS. But I had so MANY. And they were all so pretty. And sparkly. And of varied colours.

So, do any Playgrounders who live in the Toronto area happen to have any extra dice lying about that they don't need or don't want and would be happy to help out a poor old role-player who can't face the idea of starting his collection all over again from scratch?

I'm happy to pay for them. I just don't want to pay retail for three or four sets worth.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-23, 03:24 PM
I think there are free dice/random number generator programs online you can download. A bunch of my friends have them.

truemane
2010-02-23, 03:41 PM
I think there are free dice/random number generator programs online you can download. A bunch of my friends have them.

Yeah, I know, thanks for that. And failing that I have a few really pretty random number generating programs on Excel that I've made. But the whole point of playing table-top role-playing is to ROLL the dice.

It's the thing I miss most about not playing in RL. The heady anticipation of a small ball of plastic rolling across a table and coming to rest to reveal your doom or your salvation is replaced by a click and an instant response.

Nowhere near as satisfying.

raitalin
2010-02-23, 03:45 PM
The fastest way to rebuild is probably Chessex's Pound o' Dice from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Dice-Pound-Pound-O-Dice-Approximately/dp/B000X75BFE).

\/ Sure, though if you're in the US it is about $10 cheaper from Amazon.

KuReshtin
2010-02-23, 03:53 PM
The fastest way to rebuild is probably Chessex's Pound o' Dice from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Dice-Pound-Pound-O-Dice-Approximately/dp/B000X75BFE).

Or, in deed, from Chessex themselves. :smallsmile:
I actually got the pound'o'dice from Chessex, and it contained an inordinate amount of d20s, a bunch of d10s, a bunch of d6s, a handful of d8s and almost no d12s or d4s.
Although in the pound'o'dice there is a complete set of dice included.

Vaynor
2010-02-23, 03:58 PM
Or, in deed, from Chessex themselves. :smallsmile:
I actually got the pound'o'dice from Chessex, and it contained an inordinate amount of d20s, a bunch of d10s, a bunch of d6s, a handful of d8s and almost no d12s or d4s.
Although in the pound'o'dice there is a complete set of dice included.

Well, being a pound of random dice, lower amounts of the less popular dice is to be expected.

My favorite thing (and the thing I miss most about GenCon SoCal) is that Chessex's booth had a giant barrel of random dice, and you could buy a pitcher-full for pretty cheap.

Buying the pound 'o' dice online is probably your best bet at getting a good amount of dice to play with for fairly cheap, although you could also buy a few complete sets, but it would be more expensive (but definitely look prettier :smalltongue:).

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-23, 04:01 PM
Pound o' dice is good. eBay tends to have giant dice lots, too. Those sets seem to have good variety (maybe a few too many d20 and d6s, though, from what I've heard) and usually a very small number of very interesting dice, too (like friend/foe or rune dice).