PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 exotic weapon: souba. please critique!

bobspldbckwrds
2010-02-24, 01:39 AM
i just found this on my computer, and i remember writing this up for use in a campaign that never got off the ground. lets hear what you all think.

souba
one handed
2d6 slashing 4lbs
19-20/ x2 crit
+4 on disarm attempts

i wouldn't mind with a bit of help on fluff, for a decent pic look
here (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Souba)

i don't know how balanced it is. but the mitigating factor that i am thinking of on that is that it is intended as an exotic weapon.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-02-24, 07:11 AM
Balance-wise, I'd say this is fine - it doesn't grant too much, and it costs a feat to be any good with it.

DaTedinator
2010-02-24, 12:12 PM
Balance-wise, it does seem fine, but fluff-wise, adding an extra blade to a sword is going to make it deal less damage, not more. You need to hit twice as hard for it to cut, because it's distributing the force across two blades.

Boci
2010-02-24, 12:46 PM
Balance-wise, it does seem fine, but fluff-wise, adding an extra blade to a sword is going to make it deal less damage, not more. You need to hit twice as hard for it to cut, because it's distributing the force across two blades.

Make one blade shorter? Then you cut with the longer blade, and trap your opponents weapon between both to aid you in disarming.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-24, 01:31 PM
Make one blade shorter? Then you cut with the longer blade, and trap your opponents weapon between both to aid you in disarming.

It's actually a terrible design from anything but a fictional standpoint: the longer the blades you're trying to catch your opponent's sword between, the harder it is to actually do so.

http://luksavat.tripod.com/swordbreaker.jpg
Approximately 16" in length

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/cas/images/2052gt.jpg
10.75" blade, 18" length

The reason is that to catch the blade of a competent fighter, you need both speed and dexterity, something a larger blade won't give you. Also, catching their blade in a two-handed weapon means that neither of you have a means of attack, and you're both equally likely to end up disarmed, as you'll get into a battle of strength.

A smaller trapping device (rarely disarming...trap and attack, or trap and break with the sword-catcher) allows you to wield two weapons: a primary rapier, for example, with a Sword-Catcher (image 1) in your off hand.

DaTedinator
2010-02-24, 01:43 PM
Although really, don't let any of this discourage you. D&D has a sword with a flail on the bottom of the hilt, and if a character can use that, they can use a sword with two parallel blades. :smalltongue: The stats you posted are balanced enough.

Lappy9000
2010-02-24, 01:56 PM
Although really, don't let any of this discourage you. D&D has a sword with a flail on the bottom of the hilt, and if a character can use that, they can use a sword with two parallel blades. :smalltongue: The stats you posted are balanced enough.Don't forget dual halfling rapier flails :smallbiggrin:

Balance wise, it's fine, so that's all you really need to worry about.