PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone from?

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-24, 03:50 AM
Inspired by the 'help me with German' topic I dicided to start this topic.

I'm from:

State/Province: Noord-Brabant
City: Uden

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-24, 03:52 AM
Pretty sure many topics on the topic exist, but:

Province: British Columbia
City: Vancouver

Think of that what you will :amused:

Serpentine
2010-02-24, 04:11 AM
Everyone is from Earth. Well, nearly everyone...

'straya
Noo Sowthe Wailz
Armidale

Coidzor
2010-02-24, 04:17 AM
Los Estados Unidos
La Florida
La Ciudad de Orlando

The United States of America
Florida
Orlando

No idea how to translate that into deutsch though.

It's sort of like being from nowhere at all, being from Maus Town.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 04:18 AM
I'm was born in Gotham City. I later moved to Metropolis and am currently attending college in Basin City.

Congrats to anyone who gets all the comic references.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-24, 04:19 AM
@Dr. Epic. I got two of them.

From good ol' Indiana. Sorry, but I'm a bit paranoid and ain't being more specific then that. (plus there's the awkwardness of somebody from online meeting me and me having to explain it to my parents)

rakkoon
2010-02-24, 04:22 AM
Europish, slightly to the left of Russia. Actually a lot to the left.

KuReshtin
2010-02-24, 04:24 AM

Batman, Superman, Sin City.

Me?

Born: Kalmar
Huh?: Sweden
Residing: Largs
Where?: Scotland

banjo1985
2010-02-24, 04:25 AM
UK
Birmingham
Stourbridge

Can trace myself back to Germany though.

Mr White
2010-02-24, 04:27 AM
Right, let's contribute.
I know of at least one fellow countryman on this boards.

België
West-Vloanders
Oarelbeke

State/Province: West-Flanders
City: Harelbeke (somewhere between Bruges, Ghent and Courtrai)

BisectedBrioche
2010-02-24, 04:30 AM
Britain. I'm a Leicestershire native, but I grew up in Shropshire. I'm currently at university in Staffordshire.

GolemsVoice
2010-02-24, 04:34 AM
State: Bavaria
Town: Some backwater town well known for it's beer, all across the world. I've heard they even sell it in Russia.

Los Estados Unidos
La Florida
La Ciudad de Orlando
It's pretty boring, really:
Die Vereinigten Staaten (von Amerika)
Florida
Orlando

golentan
2010-02-24, 04:37 AM

Lesser Magellanic Cluster, 2nd quadrant.

Planet: Krynchteal
Province: Greater Lekall Archipelago
"City": Ketan.

Happy?

Home was nice. We had a little fishing village dug into the side of the mountain. Equatorial. About... I'm going to guesstimate it at average temperature of 50 degrees or so, 100 inches of rain, some nice foliage. The town only had a few thousand people, so the city guard was just me and a couple other gals as a mostly ceremonial thing, with some second hand power armor. Though we usually got a couple behemoths a year, which we had to take out. And we always helped out with the aquaculture come harvest. There was this one plant down by the waterside that I'd hang out on when I had free time, and I always go there in my mind when things get bad even though it got cut down when the starport was put up a few hundred years later. Knew everyone on sight, and even had a kid there before my genes were frozen, told she grew up to be a good commander. Hopefully I didn't stain her career too much when I took off.

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-24, 04:39 AM
Right, let's contribute.
I know of at least one fellow countryman on this boards.

State/Province: West-Flanders
City: Harelbeke (somewhere between Bruges, Ghent and Courtrai)

Dus jij spreekt gewoon ook Nederlands :P...

Maximum Zersk
2010-02-24, 04:53 AM
Look behind you. :smallamused:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 04:56 AM

Hey! Don't make him feel uncomfortable.

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/edu/Root_folder/et.jpg

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-02-24, 04:58 AM
The location option is very useful here, but regardless, I live in:

Hastings,
East Sussex,
England.

In general a nice place to live, even if the town itself is somewhat destitute. I have never seen another area quite like mine, which makes it somewhat special. :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 05:01 AM
Okay, if anyone is able to get this reference I will truly be impressed:

Before I left Metropolis to attend higher learning in Basin City, I got an internship in Deep 13.

Vaynor
2010-02-24, 05:08 AM
Superman (DC Comics), Sin City, MST3K.

As for me, I'm from:

State: California
City: Thousand Oaks

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 05:12 AM
Superman (DC Comics), Sin City, MST3K.

Crap! I thought the last one was going to be really obscure and hard to figure out.

rakkoon
2010-02-24, 05:20 AM
Well....http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=deep+13 does help a bit

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-24, 05:30 AM
*snip*

*snip*
Er zijn eigenlijk best wel wat nederlanders(en ook wat belgen hoor) op de forums hier.
Paar dozijn ofzo.
Ik geloof dat ergens vaag op de tweede pagina misschien de thread voor de 5/6de meet-up staat.
Die zou waarschijnlijk of in Antwerpen gehouden worden of ergens tussen handje-werpen en Utrecht in, dunno.

Vaynor
2010-02-24, 05:36 AM

I didn't have to Google it, but yeah, that.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 05:41 AM

That's cheating

GolemsVoice
2010-02-24, 06:15 AM
Er zijn eigenlijk best wel wat nederlanders(en ook wat belgen hoor) op de forums hier.
Paar dozijn ofzo.
Ik geloof dat ergens vaag op de tweede pagina misschien de thread voor de 5/6de meet-up staat.
Die zou waarschijnlijk of in Antwerpen gehouden worden of ergens tussen handje-werpen en Utrecht in, dunno.

What unholy mockery of ze pure German language!
But if I concentrate hard I can make out the gist of it. Or, I think so.

Satyr
2010-02-24, 06:21 AM
I am originally from Belgium, but live in Germany for the last 25 years or so. To specify, I transmute between Bremerhaven (amically called Fishtown by the inhabitants) and Osnabrück, hometown of the Westphalian Peace Treaty.

What unholy mockery of ze pure German language!

You know that Dutch and Low German are the older version and it has only changed bit by bit to High German?

rakkoon
2010-02-24, 06:22 AM
But if I concentrate hard I can make out the gist of it. Or, I think so.

Wait till it's 03.00 and you're on your second bottle of wine...
(true story)

Innis Cabal
2010-02-24, 06:25 AM
I am originally from Belgium, but live in Germany for the last 25 years or so. To specify, I transmute between Bremerhaven (amically called Fishtown by the inhabitants) and Osnabrück, hometown of the Westphalian Peace Treaty.

This I'd like to see. :smallsmile:

The word is commute.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-24, 06:29 AM
Paar dozijn ofzo.

ok, so I don't know what any of this stuff means, but the rest I could maybe pronounce. but WTF? I don't think my mouth can make that sound.

*Crosses all germanic languages off "languages to learn" list*

As for where I'm from:
State: South Carolina
City: None

I live kinda in between two small towns. The one I put in my info (P-town/Pendleton) is the one I go to school in. The other is even smaller and called Liberty.

Satyr
2010-02-24, 06:33 AM
This I'd like to see.

The word is commute.

Great. Now I feel stupid.

Astrella
2010-02-24, 06:35 AM
Belgium, studying in Leuven at the moment.

Eldan
2010-02-24, 07:02 AM
Paar dozijn ofzo.

It's interesting how much of that one actually can understand when he speaks swiss german...

Anyway.
Town: Zuzwil. No, not even swiss people have heard of that one. It's pretty small, with only three to four thousand inhabitants, but actually pretty old. The name translates to "Zuozo's Village". First mentioned in a document from 754, apparently.
Canton: St. Gallen

Innis Cabal
2010-02-24, 07:09 AM
Great. Now I feel stupid.

I didn't mean it to be rude :smalleek: I was honestly trying to be helpful.

rakkoon
2010-02-24, 07:18 AM
*Crosses all germanic languages off "languages to learn" list*

So no
* Dutch
* German
* English

I agree, silly languages, all of them!

Continuons en français!

Satyr
2010-02-24, 07:21 AM
I didn't mean it to be rude I was honestly trying to be helpful.

Sorry, I didn't want to suggest that I were insulted; I actually know this stuff, which made the mistake a very special front head slapping moment.

Eldan
2010-02-24, 07:24 AM
So no
* Dutch
* German
* English

Continuons en français!

Aaargh! French! Aaargh! Aaargh!

Sorry. But eastern swiss people tend to have a trauma about french.

Coplantor
2010-02-24, 07:24 AM
I was born in R'lyeh, then moved to pandemonium and now I study at Ur.

OK, seriously:

City: Montevideo

I lived in the same place all my life.

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-24, 07:27 AM
ok, so I don't know what any of this stuff means, but the rest I could maybe pronounce. but WTF? I don't think my mouth can make that sound.

'waarschijnlijk' means probable

and about how to pronounce it:

Lets devide it into steps..

W: like in the word 'We'..
AAR: Like the pirate says 'AARg'..
SCH: Like in the word 'SHoe'..
IJ: Like a combination of the word 'I' and the firts letter form the word 'Egg'..
NL: Like you always say it...
IJ: Like a combination of the word 'I' and the firts letter form the word 'Egg'..
K: Like the first letter in the word 'Case'...

I hope I got it right..

And otherwise: http://home.wish.net/~sparhawk/taal2.htm

Athaniar
2010-02-24, 07:28 AM
I have never said this on the 'net before, but I am from
This information is classified.

It sure felt good telling you that.

GolemsVoice
2010-02-24, 07:32 AM
You know that Dutch and Low German are the older version and it has only changed bit by bit to High German?

I didn't know, but I readily believe it. I actually like the Dutch language, maybe I'll learn it someday. Is it quite hard to switch? They really DO sound familiar.

Eldan
2010-02-24, 07:34 AM
It's interesting. I was in amsterdam a few years ago, and generally, I could get the gist of what people said when they weren't talking too fast.

Winterwind
2010-02-24, 07:34 AM
State: Bavaria
Town: Some backwater town well known for it's beer, all across the world. I've heard they even sell it in Russia.Oh, hey, a Playgrounder moderately close to me! :smallbiggrin:

Born in ('83-'87): Wrocław, Lower Silesia, Poland.
Grew up in ('87-'02): Albstadt, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Studied in ('02-'08): Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Currently residing in ('08-present): Gilching, Bavaria, Germany

Satyr
2010-02-24, 07:35 AM
For Native German speakers, Dutch is a lot easier to read than to understand when spoken, especially when you also have solid language skills in English. But the listening comprehension is much, much harder.

mikej
2010-02-24, 07:39 AM
Province: Ontario
City: Niagara Falls

Lived in both British Columbia and Las Vegas, Nevada at one time

OverdrivePrime
2010-02-24, 07:43 AM
USA
Wisconsin
Milwaukee, commonly pronounced M'wakee - and no, none of us watch Laverne and Shirley here any more. Or Happy Days! We do drink a lot of beer though. :smallwink:

UnChosenOne
2010-02-24, 07:51 AM
Kekkoslovakia, Finland Soviet Allied timeline
Northern Ostrobothnia
Censored

Atelm
2010-02-24, 07:59 AM
Finland (Finnland nur wenn man Deutsch spricht.)
Uusimaa/Nyland Province (Uusimaa Landschaft)
Nurmijärvi Municipality (Nurmijärvi Gemeinde)
Nurmijärvi

Uusimaa literally translating as Newland, and Nurmijärvi as Lawnlake (or Grasslake, but Lawnlake is closer).

Zar Peter
2010-02-24, 07:59 AM
So no
* Dutch
* German
* English

Continuons en français!

You forgot Norwegeian and Swedish.

And Dutch is no language, it's actually laryngitis :smalltongue:

And I'm from Vienna, Austria.
We don't have kangaroos!

http://rlv.zcache.com/austria_no_kangaroos_tshirt-p235534132137086338trlf_400.jpg

Dr.Epic
2010-02-24, 08:02 AM
You forgot Norwegeian and Swedish.

And Dutch is no language, it's actually laryngitis :smalltongue:

And I'm from Vienna, Austria.
We don't have kangaroos!

http://rlv.zcache.com/austria_no_kangaroos_tshirt-p235534132137086338trlf_400.jpg

What? This is outrageous! Who killed all your kangaroos? I pledge I will not rest until the death of all those kangaroos are avenged!

sparkyinbozo
2010-02-24, 08:07 AM
State: Montana
City: Bozeman-ish

Small town boy here.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-24, 08:13 AM
Get a world map. I'm to the right of Canadialand and AMericaland; but to the left of Russia.

Alternatively:
I came into existence when the first proto-thought sparked along a neural pathway; as thoughts, knowledge and speech spread and developed I became more powerful, splitting my self off into the two halves of the whole so as to limit myself.
One half I doomed to the coolest reaches of eternity where only the whispers of reading can be heard.
The other half, the part that is me became ultimately so powerful through my 'lowly godhood' that all the other ones combined to seal me into an infinte plain of books containing all things that have ever been written, all that ever will be written and all that ever could be written (as well as all the books that should have been written, ones that never will and so on). I finished reading there a while ago, and being really bored and more knowledgeable than ever I left.
I can be found mainly in libraries or in centres of learning be they big or small.
Also bookshops.
Sadly, the other half of me was also bored and came back a few millennia ago; I've lost track of where she is. Shame that.

rakkoon
2010-02-24, 08:27 AM
Yo Zar Peter, I'm really happy for ya, and ima let you finish, but Afrikaans, Danish, Icelandic and then some!

The kangarooless rider shall live on!

Et alors? (Johnny Depp)

Maelstrom
2010-02-24, 08:43 AM
Most of my life in California.

Nowadays, Europe....France...Region famous for it's wines, mustards, snails and mushrooms...

BigBadBugbear
2010-02-24, 08:52 AM
It tells a lot that Dutch is one of the most difficult languages to learn to speak and write.

This was tested by a committee that did polls all around the world made for foreign students learning the language of their host country.

And why:

Dutch:
The language exist of and exception on an exception followed by a rule that has an exception.

Anuan
2010-02-24, 09:16 AM
I've heard Welsh is near impossibly hard...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-24, 10:39 AM
Country
United States of America

City/State
Dahlonega, Georgia

and

City/State
Nashville, Tennessee

Only two places ever felt like 'home'. First is where I was raised, second is where I fell in love.

Despite my location I have no accent. At all. Southern nor northern nor western nor eastern. Now, I do have the bible belt dialect. Y'all, over yonder, round abouts, etc.

Morty
2010-02-24, 10:49 AM
Country

Poland

Region

Województwo Podkarpackie

City

Jasło
That's where I was born and still think of as home. Right now, I'm studying in Tarnów in Województwo Małopolskie. But I'll likely change my college to one in which I'm not wasting my talent.

Castaras
2010-02-24, 10:50 AM
Region: East Anglia
City: Cambridge

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-24, 10:52 AM
Country

Poland

Region

Województwo Podkarpackie

City

Jasło
That's where I was born and still think of as home. Right now, I'm studying in Tarnów in Województwo Małopolskie. But I'll likely change my college to one in which I'm not wasting my talent.
Hee. Sorry, its funny but I always can tell if something is polish. While still using the roman alphabet I've yet to run across a language so unpronounceable/unreadable from an english view point.

My favorite artist, Jacek Yerka, is polish though, which is where I gained some insight into the language.

Morty
2010-02-24, 11:05 AM
Hee. Sorry, its funny but I always can tell if something is polish. While still using the roman alphabet I've yet to run across a language so unpronounceable/unreadable from an english view point.

My favorite artist, Jacek Yerka, is polish though, which is where I gained some insight into the language.

I was going to make it more pronouceable like making "Województwo" into "Voivodeship" and whatnot, but I figured it'd be more funny the other way. :smalltongue: And Hungarian might be even worse. But I'm not sure.

slyfox99
2010-02-24, 11:11 AM
I'm was born in Gotham City. I later moved to Metropolis and am currently attending college in Basin City.

Isnt Basin City the setting for Sin City? As for me I am still living in Gotham, aka New York...

Atelm
2010-02-24, 11:13 AM
And Hungarian might be even worse. But I'm not sure.

At least Hungarian has the decency to use wovels though, unlike languages such as Czech and Polish. :smallamused:

BisectedBrioche
2010-02-24, 11:22 AM
I've heard Welsh is near impossibly hard...

It's not really. It's just that the only reasons to learn it are a) Historical or similar academical interest, b) Being a Welsh nationalist or c) Being the Prince of Wales

Zar Peter
2010-02-24, 11:27 AM
At least Hungarian has the decency to use wovels though, unlike languages such as Czech and Polish. :smallamused:

You mean like "Strc prst v krk!" (Put your finger in your throat in Czech)

Oh, and clearly the Finish are defending the hungarian since it's the same language family :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2010-02-24, 11:35 AM
My congressional district (to the left) is fairly specific (though I am from Illinois originally).

albis
2010-02-24, 11:40 AM
Am I the only Italian around? TT_TT

anyway, yeah, Italy, Naples.
and yes, that means I can cook pizza, as stereotypical as it sounds. X°D

Strawberries
2010-02-24, 11:51 AM
Am I the only Italian around? TT_TT

anyway, yeah, Italy, Naples.
and yes, that means I can cook pizza, as stereotypical as it sounds. X°D

Not really

City: Naples

Hello, fellow countryman!

Jack Squat
2010-02-24, 12:30 PM
I'm from Cincinnati, OH. Home of (last I checked) the second largest Oktoberfest in the world.

albis
2010-02-24, 01:00 PM
Not really

City: Naples

Hello, fellow countryman!

Ciao bellissima!!! :smallbiggrin:
Non hai idea che bello trovare un compatriota!

CWater
2010-02-24, 01:11 PM
Oh, and clearly the Finish are defending the hungarian since it's the same language family :smallbiggrin:

Sure we are!:smalltongue:

So, my location is in the cold and snowy Finland (though this year it's not so different from the rest of the Europe, I've heard:smallwink:) from a city that I won't name, but it lies in the southern part of the country and is not Helsinki.

Oh, and pardon my grammar, these Indo-European rules for word order and such are sometimes so obscure:smallamused:

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 01:41 PM
So, my location is in the cold and snowy Finland (though this year it's not so different from the rest of the Europe, I've heard:smallwink:) from a city that I won't name, but it lies in the southern part of the country and is not Helsinki.

Åbo? My mom is från Kyrkslätt in the Porkalla (sp?) area.

And yeah, I'm from Gothenburg, Sweden. Gate to the West.

Drakevarg
2010-02-24, 01:44 PM
Born

Planet: Gahnraen
Nation: Not applicable, but my birthplace can be sorta narrowed down by saying its in the southern hemisphere.
State/Province: Also not applicable, but it can be further narrowed down by saying I live within a few hundred miles of the shore. (We only have one ocean.)
City: Also not applicable, and lacks enough significant geographical markers to narrow it down further.

Live

Planet: Earth
Nation: United States of America
State/Province: Minnesota
City: Minneapolis

CWater
2010-02-24, 01:55 PM
Åbo? My mom is från Kyrkslätt in the Porkalla (sp?) area.

Nej, jag bor inte i Åbo. I was born there though, nice city and the oldest in Finland.
And correct spelling is Porkkala:smallsmile:

Alyss
2010-02-24, 02:14 PM
UK
Newcastle upon Tyne currently, but originally from Oxford.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-24, 02:27 PM
Sorry, I didn't want to suggest that I were insulted; I actually know this stuff, which made the mistake a very special front head slapping moment.

Well, if its any consolation, I had a hearty laugh over it.

Asta Kask
2010-02-24, 03:22 PM
And correct spelling is Porkkala:smallsmile:

I think Finnish spelling is proof positive that the language was made up by sadists. :smallsmile:

And it could be worse. I was thinking about writing Porkkana...

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-24, 03:23 PM
Spain. North.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-24, 03:27 PM
Wow, I thought the main fan base here was americano. Looks like its balancing out.

Crimmy
2010-02-24, 03:50 PM
Spain. North.

Mexico.
Morelos.
Cuernavaca.

And you, good sir, are part of the invasors, so get ready! THE AZTECS SHALL RISE AGAIIIN!!

CWater
2010-02-24, 04:28 PM
I think Finnish spelling is proof positive that the language was made up by sadists. :smallsmile:

And it could be worse. I was thinking about writing Porkkana...

Carrots taste good:smallsmile:

BTW, I grew up in town called Tammisaari in Finnish, and Ekenäs in Swedish, (in English it would be 'Oak cape' or something) where about 80% of the population spoke the latter as their native tongue. :smallbiggrin:

GolemsVoice
2010-02-24, 04:35 PM
Why are all your languages so strange? I mean, can't you leave out all those extra characters, and include just the right amount of vowels in your words (neither too much nor to little) and have a sentence structure that is in any way sane? I mean, I love learning languages, but why must they be so different? That makes no SENSE

Erloas
2010-02-24, 04:41 PM
Well I guess I'll join to give the USA a bit more showing in the thread.

USA
Wyoming
Green River

If that wasn't clear enough from my signature.

Magnor Criol
2010-02-24, 04:42 PM
Why are all your languages so strange? I mean, can't you leave out all those extra characters, and include just the right amount of vowels in your words (neither too much nor to little) and have a sentence structure that is in any way sane? I mean, I love learning languages, but why must they be so different? That makes no SENSE

It's not like English is really all that much better. It's got a base set of rules, but it violates them so frequently - especially American English, which has mixed in so many words and phrases from so many different languages it's ridiculous. Every single rule has two or three "this is true EXCEPT WHEN" clauses. :smalltongue:

Oh, and USA - Texas - Austin

Satyr
2010-02-24, 05:03 PM
If all languages were kind of the same, the world would be a moch more boring place and we have a lot fewer annecdotes to tell.

Let's face it, translation mistakes can be hilarious.

spoiled for distraction from the thread:
During the 1960s, there was a plague of rhinoceros beetles, if I remember correctly in Northern Africa which was then still mostly colony land. The crisis was so bad, that the representativs of the involved countries and the still active of former colonial powers applied to the Uno for additional foreing help, and thus the issue was debated in the UN council. One of the experts of the topics mentioned that the harvests were destroyed by swarms of the beetles, but unfortunately the Russian interpretor mixed up rhinoceros beetles with rhinoceroses. Which let the bewildered Soviet diplomat ask what is wrong, because he heard that the animal in question were an endangered speices, and the Soviet Union would never pay for the extermination of such a noble creature. The expert who made his presentation disagreed vehemently and emphasized that they were a terrible plague and that hundreds of them were destroying all harvests and leave only a devastated wasteland.
A little bit later the Russian diplomat interjected again and asked with which equipment the native farmers would face this threat. And he became the absolute correct answer "cleansing agents, buckets and mops".
The session had to be postponed.

Teutonic Knight
2010-02-24, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I was surprised also that not many people here American.

United States of America
California
San Jose

Was born in Mountain View though.

Temotei
2010-02-24, 05:21 PM
United States, Minnesota. I was born in Maplewood, Minnesota, lived in Centerville until I was nine, moved to Albertville until I was eleven, then moved to Avon right before fifth grade. (September 4th was the start of the year; we were fully set in on the 2nd.)

Emlyn
2010-02-24, 05:27 PM
United States of America
Wisconsin
Eau Claire

Was born on the west coast in Seattle and moved to Wisconsin when I was 5.

Is there a language that doesn't contradict it's own rules? Yes english has a lot of wired things but it can't be the only one right?

Sneak
2010-02-24, 05:42 PM
Washington, D.C., USA. Well, Maryland really, but close enough. It's easier to tell people D.C.

Temotei
2010-02-24, 05:51 PM
United States of America
Wisconsin
Eau Claire

Was born on the west coast in Seattle and moved to Wisconsin when I was 5.

Is there a language that doesn't contradict it's own rules? Yes english has a lot of wired things but it can't be the only one right?

I go through Eau Claire a lot on my way to go-karting venues. :smallamused:

Drakevarg
2010-02-24, 05:54 PM

Well, I can't personally recall since I haven't been able to speak it fluently for years, but does Quenya contradict itself? I would think a language written by one guy would be more consistant.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-24, 05:58 PM
I go through Eau Claire a lot on my way to go-karting venues. :smallamused:
As a native of the largest state in the east it always makes me think a moment about folks just skipping between states like that. I'm a good three hours of
hard driving to get to the nearest state.

Even worse with Europe with the countries the size of our states. 'Yup, thought I might stop by for a drink in France before passing through Belgium on my way home to the Netherlands.'

Drakevarg
2010-02-24, 06:10 PM
As a native of the largest state in the east it always makes me think a moment about folks just skipping between states like that. I'm a good three hours of

Even worse with Europe with the countries the size of our states. 'Yup, thought I might stop by for a drink in France before passing through Belgium on my way home to the Netherlands.'

Eh, I live in the Twin Cities. You could probably hit Wisconsin from here with a high-powered sniper rifle.

tyckspoon
2010-02-24, 06:12 PM

Every language borrows things from other languages- it's one of the primary ways languages grow, and the source of most internal weirdness (contrast with things that just look weird to foreign speakers). But it's usually a relatively sedate process and the borrowed bits of language and grammar get absorbed into the new language in a more-or-less sensible fashion. English, on the other hand... well, to quote an entertaining language nerd, English follows other languages into dark alleys and mugs them for new vocabulary. Imagine a guy wearing a polo shirt, a kilt, a Colonial-era hat, and an ascot. That's how English grammar and vocabulary was put together.

Dragonrider
2010-02-24, 06:14 PM
It's not really. It's just that the only reasons to learn it are a) Historical or similar academical interest, b) Being a Welsh nationalist or c) Being the Prince of Wales

I'm a skeptic as to the last, but . . . :smalltongue:

I would love to learn to speak Welsh. LOVE. I've got to cement my Spanish a little more first, though.

I have lived in three countries, four US states, eight towns, and thirteen houses/apartments. I am eighteen years old. And currently I am in:

USA
State:
Washington (it's in the pacific northwest, for the majority of people, who doesn't know or care about the west coast :smallwink:)
Town:
You'll only make fun of my if I tell you. Everyone things the name is funny. I don't understand this . . . but without fail I say it and the non-PNW-er will burst into laughter. I attend a small liberal arts college, so this isn't my "permanent" home - but I wouldn't give away my real hometown, anyhow. NOT TELLING.

Edit: Trib: Yeah, out here people think the east coast is hilarious. :smallamused: I'm near the border between Washington and Oregon, and if I got in the car right now and starting driving south, it would take like eight or ten hours to hit California.

deuxhero
2010-02-24, 07:09 PM

Esperanto.

Thufir
2010-02-24, 07:14 PM
UK. Born in London, live in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Temotei
2010-02-24, 07:15 PM

I hardly skip states. Being in the middle of Minnesota makes it a bit harder, and being seventeen makes it very difficult to find time to travel. :smalltongue:

We were just talking about Europe today and how they travel to the other nations just for a Friday night. Ridiculously awesome. :smallamused:

Raiki
2010-02-24, 08:35 PM
Wow, shockingly few people around my way. I would have guessed there would be more.

Anyway,

United States
New York
Binghamton (Proud home town of Rod Serling :smallbiggrin:)

~R~

Zephykinns
2010-02-24, 09:19 PM
Charlotte NC! WHOO! Sadly, it is a little hard to find D&D players around here

Kurien
2010-02-24, 09:21 PM
Planet Earth
Northern Hemisphere
Continent: North America
City: It shares its name with a rather important city in the UK.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-24, 09:33 PM
Wow. Apparently there are 4 or 5 people near enough to me that I know where they're talking about, but not close enough for pretty much anything else. DemonZypher is like 2 hours away, Vorpal Tribble is about 3, and... someone lives in Myrtle Beach, which is like 4 (and, oddly, the only one that is in the same state as me, just one of the other 2 corners)

Zephykinns
2010-02-24, 09:34 PM
Wow. Apparently there are 4 or 5 people near enough to me that I know where they're talking about, but not close enough for pretty much anything else. DemonZypher is like 2 hours away, Vorpal Tribble is about 3, and... someone lives in Myrtle Beach, which is like 4 (and, oddly, the only one that is in the same state as me, just one of the other 2 corners)
You know what that means..... PARTY TIME! Bring in the Dancing lobsters!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-24, 10:15 PM
It takes me 7 hours at least to get to the Florida border.

Hell Puppi
2010-02-24, 10:35 PM
State/Province: Arizona
City: Tucson (with occasional trips to Phoenix)

Yes. We have cactus.:smalltongue:

Lyndworm
2010-02-24, 10:51 PM
I happen to be from a moderately sized town, myself, but may be moving to a much smaller town if all goes well.

State: Illinois
City: It's about 35 miles from Chicago and 40 miles from Wisconsin. They're both about 2 hours away, depending on the time of day.

I'm surprised not to have seen anyone near Chicago.

Complete_Sin
2010-02-24, 11:02 PM
Beautiful british colombia here. I like ma trees :D

THAC0
2010-02-25, 12:01 AM

I have to drive for three days to get to the closest state. And go through another country. :smallbiggrin:

Xyk
2010-02-25, 12:54 AM
Austin, TX.

Recently voted number one place to live in the country. Also the live music capitol of the world. Self proclaimed.

Voldecanter
2010-02-25, 12:58 AM
Province : Ontario
City/Town : Winchester (Now Live Downtown Ottawa)

Arutema
2010-02-25, 12:59 AM
State: California
City: Fremont

Serpentine
2010-02-25, 01:55 AM
As a native of the largest state in the east it always makes me think a moment about folks just skipping between states like that. I'm a good three hours of hard driving to get to the nearest state.

Even worse with Europe with the countries the size of our states. 'Yup, thought I might stop by for a drink in France before passing through Belgium on my way home to the Netherlands.'From here (Armidale), it takes (checking Google Maps to find the distance to the nearest significant interstate town): nearly 3 hours to get to Queensland (Wallangarra); about 14.5 hours to get to South Australia (Cockburn (*snigger*)); over 10 hours to get to the Australian Capital Territory if you include that (Canberra); and about 13 hours to get to Victoria (Wodonga or Tintaldra). By car, that is.

The Extinguisher
2010-02-25, 02:00 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

By a happy coincidence, this is located nowhere near the northern hemisphere, and is in fact the island of Edmontonalbertacanada in the south pacific. It's pretty nice here.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-25, 02:37 AM
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_%28Aprilynne_Pike%29)-ish. *shudders*

GolemsVoice
2010-02-25, 03:19 AM
If all languages were kind of the same, the world would be a moch more boring place and we have a lot fewer annecdotes to tell.

Let's face it, translation mistakes can be hilarious.

I'm well aware of that, after all, with German as my native tongue, who am I to complain about absurd rules? I hope you know I was joking, the internet does leave such ambiguous messages :smalltongue:

Mr White
2010-02-25, 03:50 AM

Yeah, I always loved that. I can reach 5 different capitals in under 3 hours (not consecutive of course), All with a different atmosphere and culture. It does have it's disadvantages though with bordercrime and all.

P.S. I always experienced German to be far more difficult than Dutch grammatically speaking with their Dativ, nominativ, ... Dutch speaker can always wing it a bit with our Jean-Marie Pfaff Deutch.

Reinboom
2010-02-25, 04:57 AM

Russian is surprisingly not very contradicting of itself. It is difficult for a speaker of a western European language to get into, usually, owing to its Cyrillic being so similar yet purposely different to the alphabet almost shared by all western European languages... but... it is a very easy language afterwords.

Anyways,
State: Michigan
City: Cassopolis, near Niles and Dowagiac. North of South Bend, Indiana. South of Kalamazoo. East of St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. Call before visiting. There is only 1600 people in this town, we'll be easy to find.

Though, by the end of the year we probably won't be living here.

Sliver
2010-02-25, 06:00 AM
Am I the only one from Israel around here? :smallfrown:

Zeta Kai
2010-02-25, 06:06 AM
Country: USA, which has a proud tradition of complaining about taxes we don't pay.
State/Province: Ohio, which has a proud tradition of people trying to invent flight or become astronauts in order to escape it.
City: Mason, which has a proud tradition of being between Cincinnati & Dayton.

BooNL
2010-02-25, 06:06 AM

Spanish doesn't have a lot of contradictions, but that might be because the grammar of it is so easy.

Anyway.
Province: Limburg
City: Maastricht

I leave closer to the belgian capital than the dutch. Actually, I live a literal stones-throw away from the border. If I want to go for a walk, I have to take my passport with me...

To be honest, while it's easy to travel to various countries in Europe, not a lot of people do it. Even between Belgium and the Netherlands, their is still quite a culture gap. I often go shopping in Antwerp and I'm amazed everytime at the change in culture.

The dutch are a strange folk though. Almost every nation in the world goes on vacation speaking their own language (or english), but the dutch are the ones who adapt every time. If germans go shopping in Maastricht, they speak german to the cashier. The other way around: we're the ones speaking german in their country.

Damn germans! :smalltongue:

Mr White
2010-02-25, 06:09 AM
Country: USA, which has a proud tradition of complaining about taxes we don't pay.
State/Province: Ohio, which has a proud tradition of people trying to invent flight or become astronauts in order to escape it.
City: Mason, which has a proud tradition of being between Cincinnati & Dayton.

You, sir, have been reading cracked, haven't you.

Zeta Kai
2010-02-25, 07:53 AM
You, sir, have been reading cracked, haven't you.

How could (http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-*****.html) you tell (http://www.cracked.com/article_18421_6-insane-coincidences-you-wont-believe-actually-happened_p2.html)? :smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2010-02-25, 08:56 AM
It takes me 7 hours at least to get to the Florida border.

In that case, you might be closer than I guestimated. Are your near the mountains or shore in georgia? Cause of the triangular shape and all, I'm only like 2 hours from both Atlanta and Charlotte, but 3ish (4 on a bad day) from Columbia.

Eldan
2010-02-25, 09:09 AM
The dutch are a strange folk though. Almost every nation in the world goes on vacation speaking their own language (or english), but the dutch are the ones who adapt every time. If germans go shopping in Maastricht, they speak german to the cashier. The other way around: we're the ones speaking german in their country.

Damn germans! :smalltongue:

We do that as well, actually. For some reason, we are forced to learn four to five different languages in school, and we have to use them somewhere.

Also, no one speaks our native one, of course.

Sliver
2010-02-25, 09:56 AM
How could (http://www.cracked.com/article_18442_5-reasons-founding-fathers-were-kind-*****.html) you tell (http://www.cracked.com/article_18421_6-insane-coincidences-you-wont-believe-actually-happened_p2.html)? :smalltongue:

Damn you! So much time.. Gone..

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-25, 10:02 AM
Mexico.
Morelos.
Cuernavaca.

And you, good sir, are part of the invasors, so get ready! THE AZTECS SHALL RISE AGAIIIN!!

Sir, I'm sorry to tell you that you are the one who is part of the invasors, not me. As a spaniard, all my ancestors were born in Spain, they never went to America, because I was born here and not there. You are the one whose ancestors are conquerors, as the conquerors settled there. :smallwink:

Even so, I'm not ashamed of my history. Yes, we went to America and conquered it. Sadly, history is full of wars, conquests and culture submission. And that doesn't make us good or bad people, only our own actions speak for us.
Even the aztecs had other tribes enslaved and opressed, as you surely know.

Gracias por entenderlo, señor.

GolemsVoice
2010-02-25, 10:11 AM
We do that as well, actually. For some reason, we are forced to learn four to five different languages in school, and we have to use them somewhere.

Which often ends in cringe-worthy not-English that makes my sensible English-LK ears ache with pain. If you can't speak a language, DON'T!

Winterwind
2010-02-25, 10:12 AM
Which often ends in cringe-worthy not-English that makes my sensible English-LK ears ache with pain. If you can't speak a language, DON'T!...how would one learn new languages, then? :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-02-25, 10:26 AM
Which often ends in cringe-worthy not-English that makes my sensible English-LK ears ache with pain. If you can't speak a language, DON'T!

My Lord, soo many countries you should never visit....

I've been on a student exchange program in England where the English of some people actually got worse (they only talked to other foreigners :smalltongue: )

Dragonrider
2010-02-25, 10:31 AM
Esperanto.

Which isn't a natural language . . . I bet if it were widely spoken it would develop contraditions.

Spanish doesn't have a lot of contradictions, but that might be because the grammar of it is so easy.

Well . . . are verb irregularities contradictions? Because it doesn't have as many as English, but they certainly exist. Also certain words simply have the wrong gender given the end of the word. Por exemple: words that end in "ma", "pa", or "ta" are supposed to be exceptions to the "ends in A, must be feminine" rule (el mapa, el problema), but there are some that are feminine anyway (la nota) just to confuse you.

jlvm4
2010-02-25, 11:22 AM
I'm from:

State/Province: Texas
City: Austin

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-25, 11:43 AM
See the British meet-up thread.:smalltongue:

Also the fifth dutch meet-up will possibly(likely) be even held in Antwerpen, Belgium.:smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-02-25, 11:44 AM

My english's good. Ask Ashtar. :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2010-02-25, 12:53 PM
I'm well aware of that, after all, with German as my native tongue, who am I to complain about absurd rules? I hope you know I was joking, the internet does leave such ambiguous messages :smalltongue:

Have you read The Awful German Language (http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html)? Should be good for a laugh.

Supagoof
2010-02-25, 01:31 PM
44° 59' North
93° 18' West

RebelRogue
2010-02-25, 02:14 PM
Denmark
Copenhagen
Amager

As for the danish language (another one of the germanic ones I'm afraid), imagine an ugly, flat-sounding version of swedish, and you're about there :smallbiggrin: I don't know how hard it would be to learn, but we're famous for being hard to understand when speaking. This is because there's a lot of syllables in the written language that tend to not be pronunciated in casual speak.

Yardo
2010-02-25, 02:47 PM
I'm an other one of the Dutch here.
Living in Huizen, that's rather close to Amsterdam.
Though anywhere in the Netherlands is rather close to Amsterdam :smallbiggrin:

KilltheToy
2010-02-25, 02:55 PM
It's pretty boring, really:
Die Vereinigten Staaten (von Amerika)
Florida
Orlando

It would seem I've been ninja'd. I was all excited and stuff that I'd get to show you guys my rudimentary German skills. Ah well :smallsigh:.

Anyways, getting back to the topic at hand:

Galaxy: Milky Way
System: Solar
Nation: United States
State: Texas
County: Harris
City: Houston

I think that narrows things down quite nicely, don't you? :smallbiggrin:

Deadly
2010-02-25, 04:00 PM
Region: Western Sjælland (which apparently becomes Zealand in English, for reasons which are not entirely clear... it certainly has nothing to do with New Zealand).

Denmark
Copenhagen
Amager

As for the danish language (another one of the germanic ones I'm afraid), imagine an ugly, flat-sounding version of swedish, and you're about there :smallbiggrin: I don't know how hard it would be to learn, but we're famous for being hard to understand when speaking. This is because there's a lot of syllables in the written language that tend to not be pronunciated in casual speak.

Woo, I'm not alone

As for Danish, the language, I always heard it was among the most difficult languages to learn. But I suspect you'll hear that about just about any natural language, if you ask around.

We do appear to have a vowel sound (å) which is not classified in the IPA. At least, I haven't been able to find it.

Asta Kask
2010-02-25, 04:04 PM
As for Danish, the language, I always heard it was among the most difficult languages to learn. But I suspect you'll hear that about just about any natural language, if you ask around.

The thing with Danish is - it's like Swedish, except you have to fill your mouth with porridge before you say anything. And counting stuff is... *shudders*

Deadly
2010-02-25, 04:10 PM
The thing with Danish is - it's like Swedish, except you have to fill your mouth with porridge before you say anything. And counting stuff is... *shudders*

Really? I would probably have said the same about Swedish. Never can understand what you say across the strait :smalltongue:

Except about the counting... no idea how you count in Swedish, so can't comment on that

Alyss
2010-02-25, 04:46 PM
Mexico.
Morelos.
Cuernavaca.

Mexica. Learn your heritage.

Eldan
2010-02-25, 05:20 PM
It would seem I've been ninja'd. I was all excited and stuff that I'd get to show you guys my rudimentary German skills. Ah well :smallsigh:.

Anyways, getting back to the topic at hand:

Galaxy: Milky Way
System: Solar
Nation: United States
State: Texas
County: Harris
City: Houston

I think that narrows things down quite nicely, don't you? :smallbiggrin:

You could also add
Spiral Arm: Orion
to add a little more distinction for space-travellers :smallwink:

Servus
2010-02-25, 05:36 PM
I'm from Hungary, and I'm living in Budapest (the capital city). My real family name is "Havasréti". It's nice that here we use nicks rather. And yes, I confirm, hungarian is a weird language.

Arlion
2010-02-25, 10:34 PM
City:Buenos Aires

Dexam
2010-02-25, 10:34 PM
As a native of the largest state in the east it always makes me think a moment about folks just skipping between states like that. I'm a good three hours of hard driving to get to the nearest state.

From here (Armidale), it takes (checking Google Maps to find the distance to the nearest significant interstate town): nearly 3 hours to get to Queensland (Wallangarra); about 14.5 hours to get to South Australia (Cockburn (*snigger*)); over 10 hours to get to the Australian Capital Territory if you include that (Canberra); and about 13 hours to get to Victoria (Wodonga or Tintaldra). By car, that is.

3 hours hard driving? Oh, how I laugh! It takes at least 3 hours flying for me to get to another state. If you're going by car, it's a good 17 hours driving until you hit the state border, then add another 4 or so hours until you get to a town of any significant size.

Perth, Western Australia... the loneliest capital city on the planet. :smallwink:

THAC0
2010-02-25, 10:43 PM
Perth, Western Australia... the loneliest capital city on the planet. :smallwink:

Competition from Juneau, Alaska - accessible only by boat or plane!

Dexam
2010-02-25, 11:18 PM
Ah, but you can walk out of Juneau be in another country. If you want to get to another country from Perth it's at least a 5 hour flight.

I stand by my claim. :smalltongue:

THAC0
2010-02-25, 11:21 PM
Ah, but you can walk out of Juneau be in another country.

...Theoretically? Maybe? ...Only if you want to die? :smallbiggrin:

LemonSkye
2010-02-25, 11:26 PM
I live in the United States of America. As for exact location...let's just say that I'm about an hour southeast of the current analogue for Ivy Town. :smallamused:

(And if anyone gets that reference, I will be truly impressed.)

Asta Kask
2010-02-26, 02:00 AM
Region: Western Sjælland (which apparently becomes Zealand in English, for reasons which are not entirely clear... it certainly has nothing to do with New Zealand).

Zeeland, Zealand, Själland... all means "sea-land", i.e. land by the sea. From "sjö", or the proto-Germanic equivalent thereof.

Deadly
2010-02-26, 03:42 AM
Zeeland, Zealand, Själland... all means "sea-land", i.e. land by the sea. From "sjö", or the proto-Germanic equivalent thereof.

Ah, I knew the original root of the word had to have something to do with seas or water. Just couldn't quite see how ("sjæl" never struck me as very similar to "sø" or even "hav" which in Danish would be the proper translation of "sea", "sø" (and thus "sjö" I imagine too) being a lake not a sea). Thanks, though.

billtodamax
2010-02-26, 03:46 AM
Canberra, Australia.

We, uh, have.... Parliament House.

rakkoon
2010-02-26, 03:54 AM
Ah, I knew the original root of the word had to have something to do with seas or water. Just couldn't quite see how ("sjæl" never struck me as very similar to "sø" or even "hav" which in Danish would be the proper translation of "sea", "sø" (and thus "sjö" I imagine too) being a lake not a sea). Thanks, though.

Weren't the Ingvaeons involved in that one? You know, the people around the seaside of the Netherlands, England, Belgium & Denmark?

Canberra, Australia.
Really? I never knew... australian devils....

Deadly
2010-02-26, 04:16 AM
Weren't the Ingvaeons involved in that one? You know, the people around the seaside of the Netherlands, England, Belgium & Denmark?

I am not certain I see what you refer to. But I suppose just about anything is possible when it comes to the origin of a word.

rakkoon
2010-02-26, 04:59 AM
Just thinking they lived around the coasts and all the lands are called Sea-land. Or it could just be because there is a sea there of course :smalltongue:

BisectedBrioche
2010-02-26, 05:13 AM
Just thinking they lived around the coasts and all the lands are called Sea-land. Or it could just be because there is a sea there of course :smalltongue:

I thought Sealand was that oil rig which some bunch of eccentrics tried to declare a sovereign state?

Deadly
2010-02-26, 05:15 AM

Yes. In English it makes perfect sense. Zealand because its the land by (or surrounded by) the sea.

It's the Danish "Sjælland" which I am pondering, and how it supposedly also means "land by the sea". Asta Kask suggested it originated from proto-Germanic "sjö", which seems quite reasonable. Except the Danish equivalent would be "sø" which means lake, not sea. At least it does normally, I think it may be used in a sort of "poetic" sense to refer to the sea which then may have to do with the original root. I don't know.

Anyway, this is probably far off topic :)

I thought Sealand was that oil rig which some bunch of eccentrics tried to declare a sovereign state?

I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were such an oil rig.

billtodamax
2010-02-26, 05:27 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand
http://www.sealandgov.org/
http://www.sealandgov.org/history.html

Wikipedia and a couple of poorly crafted government websites say you are correct.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-26, 05:29 AM
We have a province called Zeeland, which translated means Sealand.
Which is probably where New-Zealand came from.:smalltongue:

Deadly
2010-02-26, 05:30 AM
Apparently I am not completely wrong... according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sj%C3%A6lland#Mythological_origins), at least. Apparently Zealand was, according to myth, carved from Sweden by the goddess Gefjun, and the hole left behind became a lake. So "Sjælland" is "Lake-land" not "Sea-land".

rakkoon
2010-02-26, 05:36 AM
Well, in German the word See also means lake so I think the two meanings developed over time

Deadly
2010-02-26, 05:42 AM
Well, in German the word See also means lake so I think the two meanings developed over time

No doubt. Languages do develop in many different ways, after all. Either way, I think I've satisfied my curiosity on this subject :)

Asta Kask
2010-02-26, 10:45 AM
"Sjö-" means lake, not sea but the two meanings are close enough that it's easy to see (ha!) how one could have evolved from the other. After all, the Swedish name for beer ("öl") and the German name för oil (also "öl") are derived from a proto-germanic word meaning liquid.

Gorbash
2010-03-03, 07:20 PM
Russian is surprisingly not very contradicting of itself. It is difficult for a speaker of a western European language to get into, usually, owing to its Cyrillic being so similar yet purposely different to the alphabet almost shared by all western European languages... but... it is a very easy language afterwords.

As a speaker of Western European language, I strongly disagree with this claim. :smallbiggrin:

The reason why western people don't get along very well with our languages is because you have only 2-3 grammatical cases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_case), whereas we have 8, meaning that every single word (with some exceptions of course) comes in 8 variations, depending on how it is used in a sentence. In the example given in the link John and John's book - you use 's to signify that something belongs to John, but in Balto-Slavic languages you use a different version of the name John. The catch is that there aren't any clear rules on how this applies to every word, so you basically have to learn 8x as many words as in any other language and then learn which type of the word is used where.

So, I'm from Serbia and can understand, to a limited extent, most of Balto-Slavic languages. :smallsmile:

YorickBrown
2010-03-03, 07:50 PM
Austin, United State of Texas

Remmirath
2010-03-03, 08:16 PM
East Lansing (which is nigh impossible to discern from Lansing at any sort of distance), Michigan, USA.

It may be a rather boring place, but I've little else against it.