PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

Scipio
2010-02-24, 01:09 PM
Greater Metamorphosis states:

You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both special attacks and special qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities.

Spells and spell-like abilities are listed as special attacks on monsters. So does this mean that my Egoist can use them? It seems pretty powerful.

tonberrian
2010-02-24, 01:11 PM
Does it say (Su) after Spell-Like abilities or Spells? If not, then no.

Scipio
2010-02-24, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I think I was reading it wrong. The wording is a bit goofy, but I believe you only get attacks and qualities if they have Su or Ex on them.

So here is the next question. What would be a good form if my HD cap is 23 with Overchannel?

Tyndmyr
2010-02-24, 01:36 PM
Huh...wonder if this is yet another way to use the sarrukk to end up at pun pun.

Yora
2010-02-24, 01:38 PM
Probably, but you'd need to be a 17th level psion, while pun-pun is 3rd or 5th level, I believe.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-24, 01:39 PM
Probably, but you'd need to be a 17th level psion, while pun-pun is 3rd or 5th level, I believe.

1st level Kobold Paladin actually.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-24, 01:44 PM
Eh, the first level version is filled with things that require the DM to be inordinately permissive. The whole pazuzu thing basically requires the DM to take the most favorable of readings and choices for you along the way.

The sixth level version is much more airtight.

The thought with greater metamorph isn't about casting it himself, it's about what level a character could afford to have it cast on him. It's personal, so presumably the psionic scroll equivalent would be required(power stone?), and there's the manifester level issue...Probably not an improvement over the 6th level version, but it requires only the SRD and the existance of a sarrukk.

Scipio
2010-02-24, 01:47 PM
Any thoughts on the question about forms I could take? Not terribly interested in variations on the pun pun. There have probably been enough threads on that topic.

Yora
2010-02-24, 02:07 PM
1st level Kobold Paladin actually.
Have a link to that build?

Sliver
2010-02-24, 02:15 PM
Google magic! (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Pun-Pun_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29#temporal_ distillation) :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2010-02-24, 02:59 PM
Any thoughts on the question about forms I could take? Not terribly interested in variations on the pun pun. There have probably been enough threads on that topic.

Dragons are fun. They tend to be relatively tough opponents for their CR. Ditto for outsiders. As long as they're not unique, you're golden. If you like dragons, consider some of the fun options from draconomicon.

Hell, a Solar only has 22HD, so it's a valid target. Gives you shapechange and regeneration, which are reasonably nice. I would presume you do not get the SLAs, though. Technically, you would likely get the abilities that are "always active on solars". They're not SLAs apparently, since they're not listed in the solar SLAs, but they're not spells either, as they can be reactivated at will as a free action. Im not 100% certain what they are, but I can see a good case for it being Ex or Su, or at a minimum, part of the creature type.

If you have/enjoy ghostwalk, consider becoming a ghostly version of a creature, since you do get to target incorporeal stuff.

Scipio
2010-02-24, 03:33 PM
Dragons are fun. They tend to be relatively tough opponents for their CR. Ditto for outsiders. As long as they're not unique, you're golden. If you like dragons, consider some of the fun options from draconomicon.

Hell, a Solar only has 22HD, so it's a valid target. Gives you shapechange and regeneration, which are reasonably nice. I would presume you do not get the SLAs, though. Technically, you would likely get the abilities that are "always active on solars". They're not SLAs apparently, since they're not listed in the solar SLAs, but they're not spells either, as they can be reactivated at will as a free action. Im not 100% certain what they are, but I can see a good case for it being Ex or Su, or at a minimum, part of the creature type.

If you have/enjoy ghostwalk, consider becoming a ghostly version of a creature, since you do get to target incorporeal stuff.

The Solar is the first thing I looked at. Even without the SLAs and spells, there is plenty of stuff the Solar gets. The Protective Aura is not bad at all.

Lamech
2010-02-24, 03:40 PM
Protean scourge! Protean Scourge! Lycanthrope! Lycanthrope! Elemental Wierd! Elemental Wierd! War troll after getting acid immunity!