PDA

View Full Version : [Prc] Doublebolt Master

mummy162
2010-02-24, 01:14 PM
This is my first homebrew, so suggestions would be infinitely appreciated. That being said, here is...

The Doublebolt Master

There are plenty of warriors who walk the world with crossbow in hand. The doublebolt master [abbreviated DBM hereon-after] carries two - hand crossbows to be precise. The DBM excels at rushing into the midst of combat to plant two well-placed bolts into an enemy's throat. DBMs at higher levels have two options in combat; they can either stand their ground and shoot many times, or move around the battlefield, letting loose one precise, devastating attack. At even higher levels, he can do both in one round!

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Tumble 5 ranks, Craft (weaponsmithing) 5 ranks
Proficiencies: Proficient with Hand Crossbow
Freats: Point Blank Shot, Two Weapon Fighting

Doublebolt Master

Level
BAB
Fort Save
Reflex Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+1
+0
+2
+0
Rapid Reload, Bolt Barrage, Weapon Focus

2nd
+2
+0
+3
+0
Bonus Feat

3rd
+3
+1
+3
+1
Ranged Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)

4th
+4
+1
+4
+1
Opportunistic Avoidance

5th
+5
+1
+4
+1
Bolt Modification

6th
+6
+2
+5
+2
Ranged Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)

7th
+7
+2
+5
+2
Double Shot

8th
+8
+2
+6
+2
Opening Shot

9th
+9
+3
+6
+3
Ranged Skirmish (+3d6, +3 AC)

10th
+10
+3
+7
+3
Hand Crossbow Mastery

Hit Die: d8

Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (weaponsmithing) (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier

Rapid Reload: A DBM gains Rapid Reload (hand crossbow) as a bonus feat. In addition, a DBM does not need a free hand to reload a hand crossbow.

Bolt Barrage: When a DBM takes a full-round action to attack while wielding two crossbows, he gets one extra attack at his highest base attack bonus.

Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow): A DBM gains Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow) as a bonus feat and counts as a fighter of his character level for meeting prerequisites for feats from this feat tree. This only counts for feats applying to the hand crossbow.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, a DBM may select either Far Shot, Precise Shot, or Rapid Shot as a bonus feat, provided he meets the prerequisites.

Ranged Skirmish: At 3rd level, whenever a DBM moves at least 10 feet in a round, for his next damage roll with a hand crossbow before the start of his next turn he adds 1d6 damage, and until the start of his next turn he adds +1 to his AC. At 6th level and again at 9th level, these bonuses increase by one d6 and +1 AC each. If a DBM has levels in a class that gives him the skirmish ability, these bonuses stack, but only for ranged attacks.

Opportunistic Avoidance: At 4th level, a DBM never provokes an opportunity attack when loading or shooting with a hand crossbow.

Bolt Modification: A DBM may make a DC 20 Craft (weaponsmithing) check to make 20 bolts into special bolts. These bolts automatically confirm critical threats and knock targets prone on any hit. You can only make these bolts once per day, you can only make an attempt to make these bolts once per day, and when the day is over the bolts loose their special properties. He can choose to increase the DC by 1 to modify two additional bolts per point of DC increased.

Double Shot: When taking a standard action to attack at 7th level, a DBM wielding a hand crossbow in each hand may make one additional attack with the crossbow in his off hand, albeit at a -5 penalty.

Opening Shot: At 8th level, as a standard action, you can make one attack at your full base attack bonus. On a hit, an ally adjacent to the target can make an opportunity attack against the target. This attack does not count against the total number of opportunity attacks the ally gets in a round.

Hand Crossbow Mastery: At 10th level, a DBM becomes so attuned with his crossbows that he gets several special bonuses:

His damage die with a hand crossbow increases by one (d3 to d4 or d4 to d6).
His critical threat range with a hand crossbow increases by one (19-20 to 18-20).
Whenever a DBM scores a critical hit with a hand crossbow, he may forego his extra damage due to a critical to instead stun the target for 5 rounds (Fortitude DC 20 + Dex modifier negates).

DracoDei
2010-02-24, 04:23 PM
I think you are going in a good direction, but this isn't the sort of character I, personally, would be likely to play, so I can't say what I (personally) really like about it much. I can only point out problems (for the most part). I say this so you WON"T get discouraged.
This is, of course, very much like the Bolt-born (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143013)(which is perfectly appropriate for various reason, including that I refered you to the Bolt Born when you were making this one) , so that is what I am going to be comparing it to mostly.

DBMs at higher levels have two options in combat; they can either stand their ground and shoot many times, or move around the battlefield, letting loose one precise, devastating attack. At even higher levels, he can do both in one round!
These last two sentences might belong more suited to other sections since the introductory paragraphs should be pure fluff in my opinion, and rounds (including the concept of firing once per round versus many times) is a crunch concept. You could use something like "firing a precise, devastating attack at measured intervals" if you want to rework, rather than relocating (which might not be a bad idea).

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Tumble 5 ranks, Craft (weaponsmithing) 5 ranks
Proficiencies: Proficient with Hand Crossbow
Freats: Point Blank Shot, Two Weapon Fighting
Ok, this makes entry easiest for a rogue/fighter hybrid (unless scouts get good BAB and Tumble as a class skill?) although a fighter with at least 3 skillpoints per level (via human race or 12+ INT) can do it as well. Not bad, and I don't believe in always designing for any particular class in mind when creating entry requirements.

Doublebolt Master
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Rapid Reload, Bolt Barrage, Weapon Focus
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Bonus Feat
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Ranged Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)
4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Opportunistic Avoidance
5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Bolt Modification
6th|+6|+2|+5|+2|Ranged Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)
7th|+7|+2|+5|+2|Double Shot
8th|+8|+2|+6|+2|Opening Shot
9th|+9|+3|+6|+3|Ranged Skirmish (+3d6, +3 AC)
10th|+10|+3|+7|+3|Hand Crossbow Mastery
[/table]

Consider good fortitude saves if you ever decide this class is under powered, otherwise, the numbers look good. I will deal with the class skills individually.

Hit Die: d8

As a rogue/fighter hybrid, this is the obvious choice.

Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (weaponsmithing) (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Some systems use Concentration for rapid reloading, so consider adding that, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. I would probably add Swim, just because both fighters and rogues get it.

Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier

Should be fine.

Rapid Reload: A DBM gains Rapid Reload (hand crossbow) as a bonus feat. In addition, a DBM does not need a free hand to reload a hand crossbow.

Needs more fluff... I would ask AdInfinitum if you can just steal his fluff from "Uncanny Reload" straight out... or put it in your own words put it in if you can't get ahold of him, or he refuses for some reason. (a note of thanks to him at the top of the original post, with a link to his PrC should be the most I might require if I were in his shoes).

Bolt Barrage: When a DBM takes a full-round action to attack while wielding two crossbows, he gets one extra attack at his highest base attack bonus.

Even if they elect not to fire one, so as not to take the -2 for TWF?

Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow): A DBM gains Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow) as a bonus feat and counts as a fighter of his character level for meeting prerequisites for feats from this feat tree. This only counts for feats applying to the hand crossbow.

Sure you don't also want them to be able to access Improved Critical?
If you have the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, you need to decide how you want this to interact with the Warblades ability to re-purpose his feats. I would say that the feats can not be repurposed.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, a DBM may select either Far Shot, Precise Shot, or Rapid Shot as a bonus feat, provided he meets the prerequisites.

This works.

Ranged Skirmish: At 3rd level, whenever a DBM moves at least 10 feet in a round, for his next damage roll with a hand crossbow before the start of his next turn he adds 1d6 damage, and until the start of his next turn he adds +1 to his AC. At 6th level and again at 9th level, these bonuses increase by one d6 and +1 AC each. If a DBM has levels in a class that gives him the skirmish ability, these bonuses stack, but only for ranged attacks.

Here is where you start really differentiating the play style of this from the bolt-born (since he gave ranged sneak attack).

Opportunistic Avoidance: At 4th level, a DBM never provokes an opportunity attack when loading or shooting with a hand crossbow.

A very useful ability.

Bolt Modification: A DBM may make a DC 20 Craft (weaponsmithing) check to make 20 bolts into special bolts. These bolts automatically confirm critical threats and knock targets prone on any hit. You can only make these bolts once per day, you can only make an attempt to make these bolts once per day, and when the day is over the bolts loose their special properties. He can choose to increase the DC by 1 to modify two additional blots per point of DC increased.

Underlined clause is unnecessary. Bolded word is mis-spelled.
A bit too mystical for a class with no supernatural or spell-like pre-requisites. At intermediate levels, failing the check can slow down game-play or leave you powered down on the worst possible days. Having too much about the character depend on a single die-roll is generally (but not always) a bad idea. Also, auto-prone is very powerful, especially since "any hit" could be argued to include shots that strike as touch attacks, but fail to do damage because they don't hit as standard attacks (there are several mechanics that work this way other places in the system).

Double Shot: When taking a standard action to attack at 7th level, a DBM wielding a hand crossbow in each hand may make one additional attack with the crossbow in his off hand, albeit at a -5 penalty.

Here and elsewhere throw in "(or hands)" and include other language in case someone decides to make a Xill character for this class or something.

Opening Shot: At 8th level, as a standard action, you can make one attack at your full base attack bonus. On a hit, an ally adjacent to the target can make an opportunity attack against the target. This attack does not count against the total number of opportunity attacks the ally gets in a round.

Pretty weak option, unless the enemy has DR or Regen that your ally can get through, but you can't... but for that use I like the tactical nature of it. Some people might say using the option makes the DBM (which, BTW you should probably spell out everywhere :smallwink: ), feel kinda useless.

Hand Crossbow Mastery: At 10th level, a DBM becomes so attuned with his crossbows that he gets several special bonuses:

His damage die with a hand crossbow increases by one (d3 to d4 or d4 to d6).
His critical threat range with a hand crossbow increases by one (19-20 to 18-20).
Whenever a DBM scores a critical hit with a hand crossbow, he may forego his extra damage due to a critical to instead stun the target for 5 rounds (Fortitude DC 20 + Dex modifier negates).

The middle one probably needs to stack with (but be applied after) Keen and Improved Critical and such. Such things can get out of hand, but in this case I think it is alright.
Stunned for 5 rounds is usually a "You lose", so maybe the above doesn't apply... and with the Bolt Modification, this is basically 20 shots per day with (at least) 15% chance of auto-kill against anything vulnerable to critical hits.

mummy162
2010-02-24, 04:52 PM
A bit too mystical for a class with no supernatural or spell-like pre-requisites. At intermediate levels, failing the check can slow down game-play or leave you powered down on the worst possible days. Having too much about the character depend on a single die-roll is generally (but not always) a bad idea. Also, auto-prone is very powerful, especially since "any hit" could be argued to include shots that strike as touch attacks, but fail to do damage because they don't hit as standard attacks (there are several mechanics that work this way other places in the system).

I wanted a way to implement Craft (weaponsmithing). You're right, it's probably a bit too powerful, but consider it against other PrCs of the same level. You'll use up those bolts quicker than you think, with all the attacks you make.

Pretty weak option, unless the enemy has DR or Regen that your ally can get through, but you can't... but for that use I like the tactical nature of it. Some people might say using the option makes the DBM (which, BTW you should probably spell out everywhere :smallwink: ), feel kinda useless.

You give up your damage potential for your ally's, in this case. It provides another opportunity to be flexible, which is important for this class.

The middle one probably needs to stack with (but be applied after) Keen and Improved Critical and such. Such things can get out of hand, but in this case I think it is alright.
Stunned for 5 rounds is usually a "You lose", so maybe the above doesn't apply... and with the Bolt Modification, this is basically 20 shots per day with (at least) 15% chance of auto-kill against anything vulnerable to critical hits.

This is a bit OP, but you'll use up those bolts fast, as I mentioned before. Would 2 rounds stunned or 5 rounds Strength penalty or something work out better?

mummy162
2010-03-02, 06:24 PM
Also, the critical bonus should NOT stack with Improved Critical; in the feat description it clearly states that it does not stack with increases.

DracoDei
2010-03-02, 08:40 PM
You are free to over-rule the feat description...

mummy162
2010-03-02, 09:14 PM
You are free to over-rule the feat description...

I know I am, but this adds up to too high a critical chance.

Apropos
2010-03-02, 09:33 PM
How the hell is it too high? God knows why WotC thought so, but going a maximum threat build is not that powerful. The old 3.0 rules sort of balances it with fighting with other damage builds, but stacking threat increasers is still fairly weak compared to other weapon tactics. Especially with crossbows who don't have a more powerful critical like regular bows. 12-20 threat isn't dangerous at all, especially because you have to reroll to confirm criticals, and they might not even hit if you rolled a 12 or 13.

EDIT: It seems I should have read the class first, but my point still stands.