PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH]Scroll Launcher

mr.fizzypop
2010-02-24, 08:45 PM
Recently one of my players has given the idea for me to design a new magic weapon called the Scroll Launcher. This weapon is not supposed to be taken too seriously. I still need help with what spells and components are needed to create it.

Scroll Launcher[3.5]
The scroll launcher is magic weapon that launches scrolls, casting the spell upon hit. This weapon resembles, a tube with a stock and trigger(much like the modern day Thumper (http://www.themodernwarfare.com/images/mw2/weapons/thumper-x2.jpg) ). One does not need to be able to cast spells to use it.

The range of the Scroll launcher is 100ft. The area of effect, damage, saving throw, spell resistance, and other effects of the spell remain the same. The spell must have a casting time of a full round or less.

To hit with a Scroll Launcher the user must roll a touch attack against the enemy. Adding the regular modifiers for a ranged weapon. Loading the Scroll Launcher takes a move action, and firing it is a standard action.

DracoDei
2010-02-25, 12:08 AM
If you haven't already, look up the Librum for a similar weapon on these boards. This is much much more reliable, but you should be able to get some thoughts from that thread (especially the comments).

arguskos
2010-02-25, 12:20 AM
If you haven't already, look up the Librum for a similar weapon on these boards. This is much much more reliable, but you should be able to get some thoughts from that thread (especially the comments).
Except that the Librum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101539) and Biblios (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101667) were freaking awful. I loved them, but they truly were terrible, simply because the caster level check to activate them was really crappy and they cast at a very low caster level.

This at least does something when you use it, even if it's super expensive to operate more than once a day.

DracoDei
2010-02-25, 05:19 AM
I never said librums were GOOD (nor did I say they were bad), I said he could probably learn something by reading that thread that might help him in designing his own item.

arguskos
2010-02-25, 11:35 AM
I never said librums were GOOD (nor did I say they were bad), I said he could probably learn something by reading that thread that might help him in designing his own item.
Eh, honestly, I disagree. The Librum and Biblios, while inventive and unique, had really subpar mechanics. I don't think that duplicating them is really a great plan. Easier and better instead to clarify that the Scroll Launcher uses the base caster level to create the scroll, and the scroll activates with a UMD check or somesuch. Those are actually decent mechanics after all.

Forever Curious
2010-02-25, 12:05 PM
This would make an awesome Ebberon weapon, in my opinion. I agree that a UMD check should be required, but with a twist: The UMD check is made simultaneous to loading. If the check fails, the launcher merely launches a harmless unused scroll at the target. If success, the scroll triggers on a hit.

Damon_Caskey
2010-02-25, 12:17 PM
If the check fails, the launcher merely launches a harmless unused scroll at the target. If success, the scroll triggers on a hit.

I can see that right now. Your Fireball scroll bops a Rogue in the head... and he promptly blasts you off the hillside with it.

DC

Forever Curious
2010-02-25, 12:20 PM
I can see that right now. Your Fireball scroll bops a Rogue in the head... and he promptly blasts you off the hillside with it.

DC

*shrug* Big risk for a nifty reward. Or perhaps have the scroll spent up. Just a thought.

DracoDei
2010-02-25, 02:16 PM
Eh, honestly, I disagree. The Librum and Biblios, while inventive and unique, had really subpar mechanics. I don't think that duplicating them is really a great plan. Easier and better instead to clarify that the Scroll Launcher uses the base caster level to create the scroll, and the scroll activates with a UMD check or somesuch. Those are actually decent mechanics after all.
*Sigh*
You still seem stuck on the idea that I think those items have anything like usuable mechanics. Let us assume (as is probably the case) that they are the complete failures that you think they are. I was saying that the analysis in those threads (especially the Librum one) of WHY they didn't work could inform him in making his own mechanics. The mechanics you suggest work for PCs NOT items. There is an adaptation/transition if you want the device to be making the check (which allows fighters in on the fun, not just rogues and artificers and other things with UMD on their class list who could just READ the darn thing in most cases). In such a case, to quote(slightly mis-quote?) Thomas Edison "My experiments have not failed, I have discovered 99 things that don't work." Knowing where the pitfalls that others have fallen into can be very useful in doing original work. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." etc etc.

arguskos
2010-02-25, 02:45 PM
*Sigh*
You still seem stuck on the idea that I think those items have anything like usuable mechanics. Let us assume (as is probably the case) that they are the complete failures that you think they are. I was saying that the analysis in those threads (especially the Librum one) of WHY they didn't work could inform him in making his own mechanics. The mechanics you suggest work for PCs NOT items. There is an adaptation/transition if you want the device to be making the check (which allows fighters in on the fun, not just rogues and artificers and other things with UMD on their class list who could just READ the darn thing in most cases). In such a case, to quote(slightly mis-quote?) Thomas Edison "My experiments have not failed, I have discovered 99 things that don't work." Knowing where the pitfalls that others have fallen into can be very useful in doing original work. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." etc etc.
Ah, well, it DID sound suspiciously like you were saying "those have good mechanics, use those" which is really not the case. The flaws inherent there are good to see and avoid, thanks to user commentary, and yes, that is a good use of the above links. Miscommunication on all parts I think. :smallwink:

Also, I just tossed something out there that functioned. I never said it was perfect, nor even that great. It does better than the damn Librum though. :smallsigh:

As for what I'd think is good for this object, my suggestion would be that it can hold 1 scroll, fire as above, when you hit you have to make a UMD check with a bonus on the roll equal to the Launcher's caster level (it's a magic item, after all) or the scroll is wasted (so they can't pick it up and blast YOU with it). This does mean the exact caster level on the Launcher needs to be determined, but that's not so hard. If we use telekinesis as the spell required to make the Launcher, that's a minimum caster level of 9. There, a +9 on the check, that's a decent modifier, no?

mr.fizzypop
2010-02-25, 10:18 PM
As for what I'd think is good for this object, my suggestion would be that it can hold 1 scroll, fire as above, when you hit you have to make a UMD check with a bonus on the roll equal to the Launcher's caster level (it's a magic item, after all) or the scroll is wasted (so they can't pick it up and blast YOU with it). This does mean the exact caster level on the Launcher needs to be determined, but that's not so hard. If we use telekinesis as the spell required to make the Launcher, that's a minimum caster level of 9. There, a +9 on the check, that's a decent modifier, no?

That sounds great. But how much should a scroll launcher cost?

Zexion
2010-02-26, 04:01 PM
perhaps each scroll launcher would have a maximum spell level it could cast, and the cost would vary accordingly. You are basically extending the range of the average spell, so perhaps the maximum spell level squared times one thousand? Exponential cost growth is always good.