PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Bread Cake and other oddities...

golentan
2010-02-25, 12:48 AM
Hey, I know there's a recipe thread, and a Deep Fryer thread, but this is one for situations where there isn't a recipe readily at hand. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention, and I'm curious what children she's produced in the playground.

I'll start off:

So, a recent crisis left me in need of a Dessert to present some friends with, a grocery store closed due to power failure, and a nearly empty cupboard.

Possessed of Cool Whip, Honey, a loaf of French Bread, and some quick thinking I recalled that Honey could be used to pickle a number of foods, and decided to try it with the bread. After removing the crust and soaking the bread, I layered it with cool whip and fruit, and (if I do say so myself) it turned out quite well.

ninjalemur
2010-02-25, 02:24 AM
Muk Tuk-

Whale blubber with the skin attatched. Actually pretty good. Sorta like fishy bubble gum.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-02-25, 02:35 AM
Hey, I know there's a recipe thread, and a Deep Fryer thread, but this is one for situations where there isn't a recipe readily at hand. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention, and I'm curious what children she's produced in the playground.

I'll start off:

So, a recent crisis left me in need of a Dessert to present some friends with, a grocery store closed due to power failure, and a nearly empty cupboard.

Possessed of Cool Whip, Honey, a loaf of French Bread, and some quick thinking I recalled that Honey could be used to pickle a number of foods, and decided to try it with the bread. After removing the crust and soaking the bread, I layered it with cool whip and fruit, and (if I do say so myself) it turned out quite well.

That may be a nice dessert, but I wouldn't call that pickling. Pickling is a brine or marinade predominantly of salt and liquid. Other things can be added to pickling solution/liquid, but the two aforementioned parts are required to pickle something. I watch a lot of the Food Network and like to cook a fair amount, so I just thought you might like that info for future reference.

alchemyprime
2010-02-25, 11:56 AM
But hey, that DOES sound delicious. It would crash my blood sugar into the ground, but it sounds tasty.

Idea: Using a shortcake instead of a french bread? Or perhaps using real whipped cream instead of cool whip.

Also... let's think here... when I read Pickled Bread, I expected either a brine or pickles in a bread. Maybe a foccasia(sp?) bread, some balsamic as a dip?

Now, as for other oddities: I made an apple cake once, but left the apples larger and used utter Flavored Crisco instead of normal shortening and amped up the amount of shortening by half again.

Dude... I made a Bundt Cake Apple Fritter! Drizzled a little glaze over that, and that was one amazing dessert!

Another one: when a chocolate chip cookie recipe asks for brown sugar, either A) Add another 1/4 on top of the amount or B) A tablespoon of molasses per cup to the mix. Add an extra shot of vanilla (so double vanilla!) and you get chewy, sweet, twangy cookies and its amazing! That's hw my family does it anyway!

golentan
2010-02-25, 05:27 PM
But hey, that DOES sound delicious. It would crash my blood sugar into the ground, but it sounds tasty.

Idea: Using a shortcake instead of a french bread? Or perhaps using real whipped cream instead of cool whip.

Also... let's think here... when I read Pickled Bread, I expected either a brine or pickles in a bread. Maybe a foccasia(sp?) bread, some balsamic as a dip?

Now, as for other oddities: I made an apple cake once, but left the apples larger and used utter Flavored Crisco instead of normal shortening and amped up the amount of shortening by half again.

Dude... I made a Bundt Cake Apple Fritter! Drizzled a little glaze over that, and that was one amazing dessert!

Another one: when a chocolate chip cookie recipe asks for brown sugar, either A) Add another 1/4 on top of the amount or B) A tablespoon of molasses per cup to the mix. Add an extra shot of vanilla (so double vanilla!) and you get chewy, sweet, twangy cookies and its amazing! That's hw my family does it anyway!

Mmm... That sounds delicious. Well, like I said, it was only what I had at the time, so... Necessity. Like Chili.

I found the problem: My grandma used to make pickled peaches, but decided they tasted better with honey rather than the sweet vinegar syrup, so didn't change the name.