PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best ways to buff the party other than spells?

jokey665
2010-02-25, 08:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out a build that hands out massive buffs to the rest of the party. I'm currently leaning towards a combination of Marshal and Dragon Shaman for the ability to get a bunch of auras going (well, 3 auras until I can get Double Draconic Aura at 12th). I know there's always Bard, but I'd like to stay away from spellcasting with this character (for once...).

Mostly I'm looking for more aura-granting classes/feats/other abilities and maybe prestige classes that might do something similar. I want to have as many buffs going as I possibly can without having to spend resources on them.

All books, including Dragon magazine, are available.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Demons_eye
2010-02-25, 09:00 PM
Thrall herder and lots of aid another?

Crusader and white ravens moves are also good.

arguskos
2010-02-25, 09:01 PM
I am unaware of any other aura-granting base classes such as the Marshal/Dragon Shaman. However, from the Dragon Compendium is the Savant, which can grant skills to the party in a limited radius. Might want to hit that up for a one-level dip. It's not much, but it's something.

Defiant
2010-02-25, 09:08 PM
Become a tripper and a disarmer. The party has been buffed by facing enemies with no weapons in their hands, on the ground with a -4 penalty to attack and melee AC.

Pyro_Azer
2010-02-25, 09:10 PM
Bard.

Optimize inspire courage.

Last Laugh
2010-02-25, 09:18 PM
Dragon Lord (Dragon magic, page 39) grants faster Draconic aura progression than the dragon shaman (capping at +3 at level 9) an ability called reckless devotion (+5 hp, +1 to attack/save to a limited amount of allies) +2 to leadership level and free intimidate checks whenever you kill an opponent. bad bad skill list tho.
The requirements are easy to meet (BAB+6, intimidate 9 ranks) and is a mundane way to buff your party :D.
Add in some levels of knight to create difficult terrain and improve your reach (pole arm is the easiest way). the party casters will love you.

arguskos
2010-02-25, 09:23 PM
Dragon Lord (Dragon magic, page 39) grants faster Draconic aura progression than the dragon shaman (capping at +3 at level 9) an ability called reckless devotion (+5 hp, +1 to attack/save to a limited amount of allies) +2 to leadership level and free intimidate checks whenever you kill an opponent. bad bad skill list tho.
The requirements are easy to meet (BAB+6, intimidate 9 ranks) and is a mundane way to buff your party :D.
Add in some levels of knight to create difficult terrain and improve your reach (pole arm is the easiest way). the party casters will love you.
I vote that you have Quick Draw, and use two different polearms: an Awl Pike, and a Duom (both from Dragon Compendium). The Awl Pike has 15-ft reach, and the Duom can attack adjacent creatures. Together, the combination lets you really control the field. Sadly, the Awl Pike IS exotic, but you can probably snag that feat without too many issues.

jokey665
2010-02-25, 09:26 PM
Alright, so far I'm looking at Marshal 8/Knight 3/Dragon Lord 9, not necessarily in that order. I'll probably go with a Spiked Chain and take Improved Trip in there somewhere. Maybe I'll grab the aberrant feat to gain +5 reach while I'm at it.

deuxhero
2010-02-25, 09:28 PM
I'd ask the DM to make Marshall full BAB (or better yet, if you can use a sublime marshal), because there is no reason it shouldn't be.

jokey665
2010-02-25, 09:29 PM
I'd ask the DM to make Marshall full BAB (or better yet, if you can use a sublime marshal), because there is no reason it shouldn't be.

Well, we are using fractional BAB, which should make the multiclassing more reasonable, even with 3/4 instead of full.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-25, 09:46 PM
I believe it was intended that you get the Knight's Bulwark of Defense ability, which is Knight 4 or 5, IIRC - that ability causes the area you threaten to be as difficult terrain.

Last Laugh
2010-02-25, 09:47 PM
featwise:
skill focus diplomacy (for free!!!)
1 aberrant blood
3 inhuman reach
6 xwp spiked chain
9 improved trip
12 combat reflexes
That's a lot of room
You will probably be going first, at least for one round of combat. (1d20+cha+dex+3 is pretty nice)
Robilar's gambit (PHBII) might not be too bad, Dragon cohort (Draconomicon) is also worth considering (I'd do it just to have a cute psuedodragon following me around) given your large charisma and bonus from dragon lord.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-25, 09:54 PM
I vote that you have Quick Draw, and use two different polearms: an Awl Pike, and a Duom (both from Dragon Compendium). The Awl Pike has 15-ft reach, and the Duom can attack adjacent creatures. Together, the combination lets you really control the field. Sadly, the Awl Pike IS exotic, but you can probably snag that feat without too many issues.

I was under the impression that you can't take free actions when it isn't your turn, and thus one couldn't switch between those two weapons in time to react to a threat. Am I wrong?

jokey665
2010-02-25, 09:55 PM
I believe it was intended that you get the Knight's Bulwark of Defense ability, which is Knight 4 or 5, IIRC - that ability causes the area you threaten to be as difficult terrain.

Bulwark is at 3rd, which is why I'm only taking 3 levels.

featwise:
skill focus diplomacy (for free!!!)
1 aberrant blood
3 inhuman reach
6 xwp spiked chain
9 improved trip
12 combat reflexes
That's a lot of room
You will probably be going first, at least for one round of combat. (1d20+cha+dex+3 is pretty nice)
Robilar's gambit (PHBII) might not be too bad, Dragon cohort (Draconomicon) is also worth considering (I'd do it just to have a cute psuedodragon following me around) given your large charisma and bonus from dragon lord.

This is looking pretty good, though I'll probably be able to squeeze more of those in at low levels with flaws taken into account.