PDA

View Full Version : Psi-forged body feat

0datdude0
2010-02-26, 11:57 AM
The formating in the book that lists this is horrible.

Can anyone tell me what the armor bonus this feat is? All the book tells me is

As a warforged, your body can be crafted using trace amounts of psionically resonant deep crystal, providing you with increased psionic power and the ability to store psionic energy in your body. If you take this feat, you will often be referred to as a psiforged.
Prerequisites: Warforged, 1st level only.
Benefit: You gain 1 extra power point at 1st level, regardless of whether you choose a psionic class. As you gain experience, you can attune the crystals infused in your body to the psionic energies of your mind. You can treat your body as a cognizance crystal, storing up to 1 power point plus 1 power point per two character levels (up to a maximum of 11 power points at 20th level), and withdrawing those stored power points at some later time.
For more details on cognizance crystals, see page 167 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at 1st level during character creation.

Ashtagon
2010-02-26, 12:04 PM
There is no armour bonus.

ErrantX
2010-02-26, 12:04 PM
+2. Same as normal composite plating is. It does not say anywhere that it replaces your standard composite plating.

Also, this should be asked in the RPG forum, not in the Homebrew :smallsmile:

Hope that's what you're looking for.

-X

Draxar
2010-02-26, 12:06 PM
It doesn't affect your armour, it just means whatever armour you have has crystals stuck in it. If you (most likely) have no other warforged armour feats, then you have the base +2. If you take flaws or whathaveyou to take additional feats at the first level, you could be Adamantium and crystal.

ErrantX
2010-02-26, 12:08 PM
It doesn't affect your armour, it just means whatever armour you have has crystals stuck in it. If you (most likely) have no other warforged armour feats, then you have the base +2. If you take flaws or whathaveyou to take additional feats at the first level, you could be Adamantium and crystal.

Yeah, but that's kind of giving the finger to the RAI, ya know? I'm not sure if it's expressly stated, but I'm certain that it's intended that Warforged only can ever get one body feat.

-X

Draxar
2010-02-26, 12:13 PM
Yeah, but that's kind of giving the finger to the RAI, ya know? I'm not sure if it's expressly stated, but I'm certain that it's intended that Warforged only can ever get one body feat.

-X

I don't agree. I don't think it's particularly overpowered to mix the two if you're coming from the base point of view that flaws aren't inherently overpowered, and I could see an adamantium and crystal warforged being interesting and cool.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-26, 02:29 PM

-X

I can see why picking up heavier plating and the Unarmored Body feat wouldn't work, but otherwise you're sticking crystals in adamantine, or blending mithral and wood, or whatever. It's not particularly strange flavor-wise or mechanically.

ErrantX
2010-02-26, 03:06 PM
I can see why picking up heavier plating and the Unarmored Body feat wouldn't work, but otherwise you're sticking crystals in adamantine, or blending mithral and wood, or whatever. It's not particularly strange flavor-wise or mechanically.

True, but Flaws are part of a variant system, so by core rules as written, you only can get one body feat anyhow. So there is that as well. If you allow additional systems beyond the basics, you get into places of gray like this. I personally wouldn't allow it my games. You have a psi-forged body. Use Inertial Armor like everyone else :P

-X

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-02-26, 03:52 PM
True, but Flaws are part of a variant system, so by core rules as written, you only can get one body feat anyhow. So there is that as well. If you allow additional systems beyond the basics, you get into places of gray like this. I personally wouldn't allow it my games. You have a psi-forged body. Use Inertial Armor like everyone else :P

-X

Unless the rules say you can only have one body feat, I see no reason you can't--would you also disallow taking several Regional feats for the same region, or prevent a wizard taking both Precocious Apprentice and Collegiate Wizard? The benefit of having both [metal] Body and Psiforged is that you get the armor without spending PP or actions and you can use those PP/actions for something else, and the drawbacks of being constantly armored are a sufficient penalty in my view to offset that benefit.

There are certainly cases where obvious RAI should overrule RAW, but I just don't see a compelling reason to disallow it in this case. The RAI isn't obviously leaning in either direction, and replacing parts of your body with different metals and part with different wood makes perfect sense for a race "molded from a composite of materials—obsidian, iron, stone, darkwood, silver, and organic material."

ErrantX
2010-02-26, 04:12 PM
But seriously man, a level 1 warforged only has ONE feat at 1st level. Body feats may only be taken at 1st level. Core Eberron is the PHB, XPH, DMG, and ECS. Flaws is a variant rule from UA, a lot of DM's don't use them. Personally, I don't.

That being said, a body feat can only be gained at 1st level, when the warforged only has one feat to spend. I personally don't think it was intended to have more than one body feat. It is not over powered to have more than one, but I think the RAI is that you should only have one, as you only get one feat at level one. I can't have Mithral Body and Adamantine Body together, so why should Psi-Forged by any different? That's all I'm saying.

-X

Draxar
2010-02-26, 04:35 PM
I can't have Mithral Body and Adamantine Body together, so why should Psi-Forged by any different? That's all I'm saying.

-X

Because Mithral and Adamantine confict in what they do; one provides armour, the other provides much heavier armour. Whereas Psiforged provides something very different.

Did the writers intend for you to only ever, ever, ever be able to take one 'at first level' warforged feat? Quite possibly.

But, well... I don't care. RAI is a useful tool for discussion, but I'm rather more interested in the simpler questions of 'Does it break the game', and 'does it allow me to do interesting things'.

I don't think a pair of warforged body feats, like Adamantium and Psiforged, breaks the game. And I think there could be quite interesting characters with both, or with other reasonable combinations.

Is it against RAW? No, it's not.

There's definitely an argument that it's against RAI, and that's a valid reason to rule in your games that it's not doable.

But, as I and others have said, we don't find that alone a sufficiently compelling argument to not allow, and be interested by, it.

hiryuu
2010-02-26, 05:09 PM
Because Mithral and Adamantine confict in what they do; one provides armour, the other provides much heavier armour. Whereas Psiforged provides something very different.

Did the writers intend for you to only ever, ever, ever be able to take one 'at first level' warforged feat? Quite possibly.

But, well... I don't care. RAI is a useful tool for discussion, but I'm rather more interested in the simpler questions of 'Does it break the game', and 'does it allow me to do interesting things'.

I don't think a pair of warforged body feats, like Adamantium and Psiforged, breaks the game. And I think there could be quite interesting characters with both, or with other reasonable combinations.

I agree.

http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallpapers/87501-bigthumbnail.jpg

Sintanan
2010-02-26, 11:05 PM
Well, since we are a homebrew forum here...

PSIFORGED BODY [WARFORGED]
You are a warforged whose body was crafted using trace amounts of psionically resonant deep crystal.
XXPrerequisites: Warforged, 1st level only.
XXBenefit: You gain 1 power point. This point power is added to your pool and stacks with any other sources of power points. Additionally you can treat your body as a cognizance crystal, storing up to 1 power point plus 1 power point per two character levels (up to a maximum of 11 power points at 20th level), and withdrawing those stored power points at some later time.
XXFor more details on cognizance crystals, see page 167 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.
XXSpecial: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at 1st level, during character creation. A warforged who took a Warforged feat with "1st level only" as a prerequisite can take this feat at 3rd level.

(I use my command constructs class feature on the glass golem.) :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2010-02-27, 12:03 AM
I am personally in favor the concept of houseruling "Level 1 only" as "Character Creation Only" with very careful GM oversight. I have haven't tried it yet, but I think it could work out very well. Thus, it doesn't even have to involve flaws... just as long as starting level is at least 3 in that campaign. But only playtest can really tell...

NemoUtopia
2010-02-27, 03:02 PM
As written, the '1st level only' thing does restrict you to one body feat in practice. The devs are notorious for having to erreta in clauses about things like that, either because they add something later that circumvents the mechanic that barred the additional taking of feats or somebody finds a loophole.

That said: assuming variant rules, I see no reason why any of the other body feats could not be taken with Psiforged if allowed to access multiple feats, except for DM fiat that the combination is overpowered because of intended use (I can't think of another 1st level feat that grants the equivalent of a first level spell and a scaling benefit up to a bonus 6th level spell, but this is a problem with Psionic Body by itself, not in tandem with anything else). The 'armor level' construct feats are inherently exclusive: it's very easy to see why light contruction, composite body, mithril, and adamantite exclude each other. As mentioned above, however, Psiforged does not affect your armor class in any way, and you would be assumed to have all the benefits and limitations of Composite Body. In fact, Psiforged body is more like a feat that grants a free Component (which is not affected by the armor based body feats unless expressly requiring or excluding them). Again, the problem isn't so much Psiforged and Adamantite, it's Psiforged period, it just shows more when you get any-armor-mechanic-involved.