PDA

View Full Version : Ask Orresk anything! (about roleplaying mostly)

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 04:18 PM
Greetings!
I am Orresk, and I am here to answer any and all of your questions about D&D 3.5e. I will only be answering questions about roleplaying your character, classes, optimized builds, and the like, nothing trivial such as, for example, "what is your favorite color?" But, since it has been asked, it is lime green.
The rules of this thread:
1. If a question has not been answered, you may have to wait. Please do not post if the most recent post is not an answer to a question. (only a suggestion)
2. I am usually able to answer questions on weekends only, but I can sometimes answer them on weekdays as well, if I can find the time. Serving Sekolah is a rather demanding job.
Sincerely,
Orresk

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 04:25 PM
So I'm not derailing: What are the best powers for a Level 1 Nomad to pick.

Otherwise: You're thread is basically the point of this whole subforum. While I'm not sure it breaks an actual rule I do think it is impolite to try and monopolise the forum for your own judgement of the right answers.

Just a thought.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 04:29 PM
So I'm not derailing: What are the best powers for a Level 1 Nomad to pick.

Otherwise: You're thread is basically the point of this whole subforum. While I'm not sure it breaks an actual rule I do think it is impolite to try and monopolise the forum for your own judgement of the right answers.

Just a thought.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was just making a thread so that I can answer people's questions. I'm especially good with roleplaying questions. For a level 1 nomad . . . I'll have to see.
0-level: detect psionics, burst, catfall OR float.
1st-level: feather fall OR spider climb.
Sincerely,
Orresk:smallcool:
Oh, and I won't kill you.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-27, 04:41 PM
RP Question: What are some good generic character quirks/flaws? I can never really think of any and even inspiration would be good.

Other question: What do you have against evil characters?:smallconfused: Evil is my second favourite alignment portion (after Law)!

Greenish
2010-02-27, 04:42 PM
For a level 1 nomad . . . I'll have to see.
0-level: detect psionics, burst, catfall OR float.
1st-level: feather fall OR spider climb.What about one in 3.5?

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 04:45 PM
RP Question: What are some good generic character quirks/flaws? I can never really think of any and even inspiration would be good.

Other question: What do you have against evil characters?:smallconfused: Evil is my second favourite alignment portion (after Law)!

Answer #1: NEVER use the parents-killed-in-a-terrible-accident cliché. It is used too much. A good flaw for your character is taking everything too seriously/lightheartedly. It's always fun to watch the reaction of everyone else when your character makes a joke about all of creation being destroyed (especially if you're lawful good) or going into a rage over a joking idea of destroying a village.
Answer #2: I never said anything about evil characters. In fact, I am lawful evil myself.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 04:46 PM

Wandering eye, alcoholic, massive adventurer's ego for some oft-seen ones.

So the Paladin of Tyranny is basically your idol? :smallwink:

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 04:46 PM
What about one in 3.5?

That is 3.5, I think.

Greenish
2010-02-27, 04:48 PM
That is 3.5, I think.Okay, then I have another question: How do I get psionic cantrips for my Psion? (Or Feather Fall, or Spider Climb?)

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 04:51 PM
Okay, then I have another question: How do I get psionic cantrips for my Psion? (Or Feather Fall, or Spider Climb?)

Technically, there are no psionic cantrips. They are called talents, and you can use 3 of them per day before they start costing you PPs. Feather Fall and Spider Climb are simply first-level psychoportation powers.
Sincerely,
Orresk

BRC
2010-02-27, 04:54 PM
e.
Answer #2: I never said anything about evil characters. In fact, I am lawful evil myself.
And yet your post said something along the lines of "Don't ask me questions about Evil characters". You edited it away.
Also, word of advice, this forum dosn't recognize the idea of Thread Ownership. It's expected that people not intentionally derail a thread and that they stay on-topic. But we don't have to follow rules like "only Orresk can answer questions", if this turns into a General Role playing Questions thread, don't be surprised. Also, alot of people with questions make their own threads, so you can seek them out on your own.

Okay, a Question, lessee... is a DM obligated to work his player's back stories into the game?

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-27, 04:55 PM
That is 3.5, I think.

Nope, 3.0. 3.5 Psionics (widely held to be better balanced and more thought out than the Core books, particularly the casters) is available at d20srd.com, if you wish to try again. I was sure you had a thing in the OP saying "don't ask me about evil characters. Or I will come to your house and hunt you down" or similar. Either you edited that when you changed the thread title and added the smiley to the thread or I was hallucinating. Damnit, either of those could be true!

I do like the Paladin of Tyranny, yes. Favourite character is LE Sorcerer attempting to take all creation to the Void. Without any activity there can be no Chaos. I once got permission to use the Commoner Railgun on the Spire at the end of a campaign (hadn't yet discovered it didn't work). DM never showed up so we kept doing one shots with the characters we had made for it until we moved on.:smallfrown: And because it needs it.:smallfrown:

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 04:59 PM
And yet your post said something along the lines of "Don't ask me questions about Evil characters". You edited it away.
Also, word of advice, this forum dosn't recognize the idea of Thread Ownership. It's expected that people not intentionally derail a thread and that they stay on-topic. But we don't have to follow rules like "only Orresk can answer questions", if this turns into a General Role playing Questions thread, don't be surprised. Also, alot of people with questions make their own threads, so you can seek them out on your own.

Okay, a Question, lessee... is a DM obligated to work his player's back stories into the game?

First, I have never said anything about evil characters. EVER. Except right now, because they are awesome. Second, a DM should work a player's backstory into the game, because otherwise the backstory is just a waste. Third, I never said that only Orresk can answer questions. Finally, anyone can ask or answer questions here, it is just that I have found that I am very good at answer others' questions. That is why I started this thread.
Peace out,
Orresk

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-27, 05:03 PM
First, I have never said anything about evil characters. EVER. Except right now, because they are awesome.

No offence, but that's just a lie. You edited out of your first post something like "No questions about evil characters or I'll kill you."

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 05:04 PM
No offence, but that's just a lie. You edited out of your first post something like "No questions about evil characters or I'll kill you."

Why must you be so stubborn? That was never on my first post. [evil grin]
Sincerely,
Orresk
P. S. BTW, I am just kidding. I know that I put that on there originally, but it was a stupid idea and a little denial now and then is lots of fun.:smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-02-27, 05:08 PM
First, I have never said anything about evil characters. EVER.Right.
Third, I never said that only Orresk can answer questions.Right…
I have found that I am very good at answer others' questions.…

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 05:09 PM
Right.Right……

Right!
-Orresk:smallbiggrin:
P.S. I like the thing with the meatbag and the warforged.

BRC
2010-02-27, 05:12 PM
1. If a question has not been answered, you may have to wait. Please do not post if the most recent post is not by me.
That was what I was talking about. It's not exactly "Only Orresk can answer questions", but it's pretty close.

Anyway, back on topic, What if the character's Backstory is one that would require drastically changing the Campaign, or giving the character something broken. For example, if a player makes a character named, lets say, Bob the Sorcerer. The backstory is that Bob's family once possessed an artifact, an amulet that let them cast the most powerful spells as many times as they wanted per day. However, it only functions for Bob's family (Of which he is the last) and now Bob is seeking it out.
Now the Obvious plot hook here is that Bob hears about the Amulet, the party goes on an adventure and recovers it. However, such an amulet would be incredibly game breaking, is the DM required to insert it into the game?

Or in, say, a Nautical Campaign, Jim the Fighter arrives. He is the prince of a landlocked kingdom. His brother killed his father and exiled him, and he wants his kingdom back. Now, the campaign is supposed to be the party sailing around in their ship having wild adventures on the high seas. Is the DM obligated to send them to this landlocked kingdom to get Jim's throne back, and if they succeed, is he then obligated to have Jim either give up the throne, leave the campaign, or turn the campaign into one about ruling a landlocked kingdom instead of sailing around on the ocean.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but I'm curious.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 05:17 PM
That was what I was talking about. It's not exactly "Only Orresk can answer questions", but it's pretty close.

Anyway, back on topic, What if the character's Backstory is one that would require drastically changing the Campaign, or giving the character something broken. For example, if a player makes a character named, lets say, Bob the Sorcerer. The backstory is that Bob's family once possessed an artifact, an amulet that let them cast the most powerful spells as many times as they wanted per day. However, it only functions for Bob's family (Of which he is the last) and now Bob is seeking it out.
Now the Obvious plot hook here is that Bob hears about the Amulet, the party goes on an adventure and recovers it. However, such an amulet would be incredibly game breaking, is the DM required to insert it into the game?

Or in, say, a Nautical Campaign, Jim the Fighter arrives. He is the prince of a landlocked kingdom. His brother killed his father and exiled him, and he wants his kingdom back. Now, the campaign is supposed to be the party sailing around in their ship having wild adventures on the high seas. Is the DM obligated to send them to this landlocked kingdom to get Jim's throne back, and if they succeed, is he then obligated to have Jim either give up the throne, leave the campaign, or turn the campaign into one about ruling a landlocked kingdom instead of sailing around on the ocean.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but I'm curious.

First: I changed the thing about answering questions.
Second: The DM could change something about the artifact. Say, have a curse put on it so it might bestow a negative level when you use it. Or, the DM could just talk to Bob's player one-on-one and suggest that Bob change the backstory a bit.
Third: I have no clue about Jim. You shouldn't really play a character from a landlocked kingdom in a nautical campaign anyways, though.
Stay cool,

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-27, 05:19 PM
P. S. BTW, I am just kidding. I know that I put that on there originally, but it was a stupid idea and a little denial now and then is lots of fun.:smallbiggrin:

Hat, hat, hat. If you get the reference then please say so (it would be nice to know my brain worked at least once today). I wouldn't mind not getting my backstory worked in. Sure, if I mention a location or person and my character is not insane then it would be nice for that to exist, but just drop a reference once in a while through an NPC. I don't think you should go out of your way to make adventures be related to the PC's backstories. If it falls into place easily I suggest using it, but having every threat to the world first threaten the hometown of a PC is jarring to verismilitude. Throw a curveball occasionally too of course, just 'cause a backstory mentions one specific forest (for example) doesn't mean you should always use that one. Could be fun if the PC's head there whenever they hear a forest is in danger and then find that the NPC was just about to point them twenty miles in the opposite direction.:evillaugh: (We do need an evil laugh smiley. It's just so appropriate! For everything!! I am not completely out of my mind!!! I'm just getting there)

Good luck with the thread anyway.

Edit:@BRC It is not directly necessary in either case. Bob's family artifact can exist, that doesn't need to mean he can reach it. Regardless of who can use it it is going to be very well protected. It can be a long term goal for the character but you can make it clear that it is not going to be achievable within the campaign/until it would not be a significant power increase (other characters can stumble across artifacts too, maybe not as directly useful as Bob's because they aren't searching for an artifact which will explicitly help them. Jim can have much the same thing. Recovering a kingdom is no small task. In any case those are really goals, not so much parts of their backstories. Make it clear that these things exist in the setting, but also that adventuring is a better short-term goal and moving on to obtain their artifact/kingdom will be something they can work towards though research, NPC contacts and allies, etc. until they are powerful enough to be literally world-changing (which may not happen within that campagin, setting another campaign in the same setting some time on lets you reuse material and may give a better oppurtunity for Bob and Jim to reach their goals however, so keep it in mind).

TL;DR version: Just because a goal is possible that does not make it plausible. At least for now.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-27, 05:21 PM
Hat, hat, hat. If you get the reference then please say so (it would be nice to know my brain worked at least once today). I wouldn't mind not getting my backstory worked in. Sure, if I mention a location or person and my character is not insane then it would be nice for that to exist, but just drop a reference once in a while through an NPC. I don't think you should go out of your way to make adventures be related to the PC's backstories. If it falls into place easily I suggest using it, but having every threat to the world first threaten the hometown of a PC is jarring to verismilitude. Throw a curveball occasionally too of course, just 'cause a backstory mentions one specific forest (for example) doesn't mean you should always use that one. Could be fun if the PC's head there whenever they hear a forest is in danger and then find that the NPC was just about to point them twenty miles in the opposite direction.:evillaugh: (We do need an evil laugh smiley. It's just so appropriate! For everything!! I am not completely out of my mind!!! I'm just getting there)

Good luck with the thread anyway.
It's too bad that you're not crazy yet. The shadow people say such nice things to me.:evillaugh:
Get crazier,

Niro
2010-02-27, 05:33 PM
I have a stupid question.. but if I use multiple templates and each of them gives a natural armorbonus... would they all stack?

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-27, 05:37 PM
I have a stupid question.. but if I use multiple templates and each of them gives a natural armorbonus... would they all stack?

Attempt to resist urge to answer...

Failed. I'll put it in a spoiler though:
If they all improve natural armour? Yes. If one (or your base race) gives natural armour and the rest improve it? Yes. If more than one gives natural armour then you use the highest value then add any adjustments to that.
Edit: Umm... I should learn the way to put a spoiler on something before attempting it shouldn't I. Oh well, all yours OP. Huh, I would try something more complex than was needed, wouldn't I? (Yes)

Poil
2010-02-27, 05:41 PM
What would be a good build for a harpy pirate, low-mid level? I'm thinking someone who hangs around in the crows nest as the lookout and likes to swoop down in a screeching flurry of talons during attacks. Lost a foot and replaced it with an enchanted claw-like "hook". Doubt I'd ever get to play it, but I'm still hopelessly curious. :smallbiggrin:

edit for 3.5.

Greenish
2010-02-27, 05:52 PM
I have a stupid question.. but if I use multiple templates and each of them gives a natural armorbonus... would they all stack?Most templates specifically improve your NA, and they stack. SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#armorClass):Armor Class
If a template changes the creature’s size, see Table: Changes to Statistics by Size to determine its new Armor Class and to see whether its natural armor changes. In some cases the method of determining Armor Class changes radically; the template description explains how to adjust the creature’s AC.

Volkov
2010-02-27, 06:00 PM
It's too bad that you're not crazy yet. The shadow people say such nice things to me.:evillaugh:
Get crazier,

Pfft, Tzeentch is telling me all these funny jokes all the time.

absolmorph
2010-02-27, 06:22 PM
Answer #1: NEVER use the parents-killed-in-a-terrible-accident cliché. It is used too much. A good flaw for your character is taking everything too seriously/lightheartedly. It's always fun to watch the reaction of everyone else when your character makes a joke about all of creation being destroyed (especially if you're lawful good) or going into a rage over a joking idea of destroying a village.
Bonus points if you follow the rage with "Just kidding!"

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:13 PM
Bonus points if you follow the rage with "Just kidding!"

Lots and lots of bonus points, because then you are using both the too seriously and the too light.
Sincerely,
Orresk
P.S. Word of the day: pus!

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:16 PM
Pfft, Tzeentch is telling me all these funny jokes all the time.

Actually, it's not a joke.(no joke!:smallbiggrin:)

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:17 PM

The answer is yes. As long as it is not a magical bonus, it stacks.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:25 PM
Hmm... I don't think that anybody is logged on Sunday afternoons.
Whoo! Second page!

Greenish
2010-02-28, 02:30 PM
The answer is yes. As long as it is not a magical bonus, it stacks.:smallconfused:

You can stack "magical bonuses" too. Get an enchantment bonus to your armor, an enchantment bonus to your natural armor, an enchantment bonus to your shield bonus, an insight bonus from magic, a morale bonus from magic and a deflection bonus from magic, for example. Your statement is inaccurate to the point of being useless.

[Edit]: Ooh, first time I see a quadruple post.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:36 PM
:smallconfused:

You can stack "magical bonuses" too. Get an enchantment bonus to your armor, an enchantment bonus to your natural armor, an enchantment bonus to your shield bonus, an insight bonus from magic, a morale bonus from magic and a deflection bonus from magic, for example. Your statement is inaccurate to the point of being useless.

Yes, but you can't benefit from both plate armor (+8 armor bonus) and bracers of armor (armor bonus +1 to +8) at the same time. You can have one of each of the following bonuses:
Deflection
Natural Armor
Armor
Shield
Insight
Morale
The only kinds of bonuses that stacks normally are enhancement and dodge bonuses. You can't, however, use 2 rings of protection +3 to get a +6 total bonus. Your example had no more than one of each kind of bonus that doesn't stack. You can, however, use an amulet of natural armor to increase any natural armor you already have, for example, but you can't use two amulets at the same time.
Sorry for the misunderstanding,
Orresk
P.S. That was my bad. I meant magic items in my original post.

Greenish
2010-02-28, 02:39 PM
The only kinds of bonuses that stacks normally are enhancement and dodge bonuses.Enhancement bonuses don't stack. The ones that stack by default are circumstantial, dodge and untyped.

[Edit]: Off-topic, I'm including a portrait of myself: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:41 PM
Enhancement bonuses don't stack. The ones that stack by default are circumstantial, dodge and untyped.

I am rather confused by myself right now.:smallredface: I meant you can have an enhancement bonus on both your shield and your armor and get the benefit of both. For example, a +5 heavy shield and +5 full plate together provide a total of +20 to your armor class.

Sliver
2010-02-28, 02:44 PM
I am rather confused by myself right now.:smallredface: I meant you can have an enhancement bonus on both your shield and your armor and get the benefit of both. For example, a +5 heavy shield and +5 full plate together provide a total of +20 to your armor class.

Having enhancement bonus on your shield and armor doesn't give you an enhancement bonus to your AC. It increases your shield and armor bonuses to AC.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:46 PM
Having enhancement bonus on your shield and armor doesn't give you an enhancement bonus to your AC. It increases your shield and armor bonuses to AC.

You're right. That is what I meant, though I didn't put it in the right words.
Sincerely,
With all due respect,
Your humble servant,
Stay cool,
Orresk:smallcool::smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:
P.S. What kind of Sliver are you?

ScionoftheVoid
2010-02-28, 02:56 PM
I'm here on Sunday afternoons! This thread seems to be devolving into a meeting place for misfits and/or slightly unhinged people. What am I saying, that's an improvement, nothing could be better![/LULZ]

So yeah, you can get one of each bonus type to something unless it's one of the always stack ones (few posts above). However you can then get one of each bonus type to those bonuses (e.g. enhancement bonus to your shield bonus to your AC). That may be hard to follow so I'll sum it up:
vkfjdnd.

Hmm... I was sure I closed those lulz tags. Sorry, no summary available.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 02:59 PM
I'm here on Sunday afternoons! This thread seems to be devolving into a meeting place for misfits and/or slightly unhinged people. What am I saying, that's an improvement, nothing could be better![/LULZ]

So yeah, you can get one of each bonus type to something unless it's one of the always stack ones (few posts above). However you can then get one of each bonus type to those bonuses (e.g. enhancement bonus to your shield bonus to your AC). That may be hard to follow so I'll sum it up:
vkfjdnd.

Hmm... I was sure I closed those lulz tags. Sorry, no summary available.

Yes, this thread is taking quite a nice turn now. Also, you just summed up what I have been trying to say about bonuses in just one post! Congratulations! You win a No-Prize!
Sincerely,
Orresk

Greenish
2010-02-28, 03:00 PM
I'm here on Sunday afternoons!It's not Sunday afternoon for everyone. Anyhow, modifier stacking is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifiers), it's not so complex once you get used to it.

[Edit]: Just giving the link to people who might need it, I doubt not you already know it.

Jodo Krast
2010-02-28, 03:01 PM
It's not Sunday afternoon for everyone. Anyhow, modifier stacking is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifiers), it's not so complex once you get used to it.

It's Sunday afternoon for me!

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-28, 03:03 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: We have a thread for asking simple questions here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136877) More complex questions can be asked in their own thread. There are lots of knowledgeable people here, they can't all have their own threads.