PDA

View Full Version : The Covenant (Halo) Vs. The Komato (Iji)

Trobby
2010-02-28, 07:05 PM
This one is an idea I had from a long while back, but never really took the time to write out very thoroughly. But the more I think about it, the more I think it's a perfect choice for a Vs. thread.

First, let's lay out the two warring factions.

The Covenant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenant_%28Halo%29)

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Halo, what with not owning any X-Box of my own, so I'm not the perfect man to consult for a full review of the Covenant's power. But as far as I can tell, they're a diverse collection of devoutly religious alien species, with plasma weaponry and extraordinary military technology. For the sake of this fight, we're going to say that their greatest enemies, the humans and the flood, are wiped out and inactive at the moment, and that the Halos are not known to exist, and will not be discovered during this fight.

The Komato (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Iji)

Don't let their lack of a proper Wiki page of their own fool you, the Komato are a ruthless race of warriors if ever there was one. They have literally wiped out an entire species out of a superiority complex and a thirst for war. They have the Alpha strike, an attack that can wipe out an entire planet in a single blast. They have the phantom hammer, a weapon that can pierce an entire planetary shielding network. They have Annihilators, giant suits of armor armed with their most powerful weapons. And they have assassins, who can teleport at will and slaughter entire platoons of soldiers with ease. For the sake of this fight, the humans and Tasens have both been eliminated, and all of their military leaders are alive.

The Scenario

It is two months past the extinction of the Tasen race, and Komato ships are entering uncharted territory. There is much concern in high command, because the Komato have made no progress toward demilitarization, and the entire race is thirsty for more war. On the eve of a new star date, they receive the following interstellar message.

We are the covenant. Repent for your sinful ways or there will be war!

It takes a day for their response to reach the Covenant. When they receive it, it is a simple four-word message.

There will be war.

chiasaur11
2010-02-28, 07:13 PM
Geeze.

You're taking the Covenant, an organization with tech they only half understand whose biggest (sure, not only, but...) edge over humans is guns that can, in mass, destroy a planet and a large fleet and putting them against a group that would make X-Com sweat bullets.

Sure, I like Halo well enough, but those poor guys are going on the great journey a lot sooner than planned for.

Selrahc
2010-02-28, 07:56 PM
Pound for pound, Komato ground forces are much more deadly. We don't know that much about their fleet capabilities or their numbers. So theres not much way to judge a winner.

Makensha
2010-02-28, 08:58 PM
Covenant would be blown away. The Komato are essentially a more powerful version of the Covenant, with a great deal more bang per shot. Also, their leaders make the Covenant leaders push overs. Not that they weren't in the first place...

Trobby
2010-02-28, 08:58 PM
Pound for pound, Komato ground forces are much more deadly. We don't know that much about their fleet capabilities or their numbers. So theres not much way to judge a winner.

I think the visible sub-atmospheric battles visible in several of the levels should serve as a good indication of their fleet power.

chiasaur11
2010-02-28, 09:00 PM
I think the visible sub-atmospheric battles visible in several of the levels should serve as a good indication of their fleet power.

By no means.

The whole point of the fleet size question is whether the Komato have enough ships to turn their better tech into a victory. One planet's worth of ships?

Nowhere near what we need to know. I mean, if that's it, the religious fanatics are back in the game.

Trobby
2010-02-28, 11:21 PM
By no means.

The whole point of the fleet size question is whether the Komato have enough ships to turn their better tech into a victory. One planet's worth of ships?

Nowhere near what we need to know. I mean, if that's it, the religious fanatics are back in the game.

Not just an entire planet's worth of ships.

Enough ships with enough firepower to defeat an entire planet's worth of ships in one-on-one combat, without having to resort to the alpha strike. Remember, the Tasen were all dead by the time they were actually ready to launch, and they had plenty of ships available. There's also the brief cut where we can see Tor's ships waiting to strike, and he's only one of many generals, so...we get an idea of just how big their armada is, even if it's not a very clear one.