PDA

View Full Version : Dante's Inferno

Geiger Counter
2010-03-02, 06:00 PM
I seen it, it's awesome, especially when the artwork becomes a lot like Aeon Flux.

TSGames
2010-03-02, 06:06 PM
I seen it, it's awesome, especially when the artwork becomes a lot like Aeon Flux.

Are you talking about the game? 'cause I've yet to see the book have artwork that kickass....

Lord Seth
2010-03-02, 06:10 PM
Are you talking about the game? 'cause I've yet to see the book have artwork that kickass....I thought Dore's illustrations were pretty good.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-02, 06:16 PM
Are you talking about the game? 'cause I've yet to see the book have artwork that kickass....

No the movie.

puppyavenger
2010-03-02, 07:25 PM
No the movie.

:smallconfused: there's a movie?:smallconfused:

:1 Google-fu later:

soo, would that be the live action ones, the puppet comedy, or the 1924 silent film?

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-03-02, 07:28 PM
:smallconfused: there's a movie?:smallconfused:

:1 Google-fu later:

soo, would that be the live action ones, the puppet comedy, or the 1924 silent film?
An animated film was released shortly before the game was, and it was, guess what, based on the game. I think this is the movie that is being referred to.

DraPrime
2010-03-02, 08:01 PM
An animated film was released shortly before the game was, and it was, guess what, based on the game. I think this is the movie that is being referred to.

The question is, which movie?

Also, while we're on the topic of the Inferno, where there any other lovers of this book who found the game to be an awful adaptation of it?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-02, 08:12 PM
It's an action game. What did you honestly expect?

if you can make a good action game where an angel just goes around and tells you about the various levels of hell and nothing else happens I'll be surprised.

SITB
2010-03-02, 08:22 PM

if you can make a good action game where an angel just goes around and tells you about the various levels of hell and nothing else happens I'll be surprised.

Myst. Granted, it's not an action game but otherwise fit your requirments.

mr_pathetic
2010-03-02, 08:24 PM

Also, while we're on the topic of the Inferno, where there any other lovers of this book who found the game to be an awful adaptation of it?

Haven't played the game, but found it amusing that this route was taken on what is otherwise a jab at the catholic church.... tell me there are at least warriors with pope hats! :smalltongue:

Dienekes
2010-03-02, 08:32 PM
Haven't played the game, but found it amusing that this route was taken on what is otherwise a jab at the catholic church.... tell me there are at least warriors with pope hats! :smalltongue:

Ehh, jab at the social political landscape of Italy in general, from the Catholic Church to the Republican movement. The popes are shown but it wasn't centered solely around them.

DraPrime
2010-03-02, 08:41 PM

The thing is, Dante's Inferno shouldn't be made into an action game. It's not an action story. It's about an Italian poet (Dante) being guided around hell by a dead Roman. It's a trip, not a fight.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-03-03, 12:18 AM
The thing is, Dante's Inferno shouldn't be made into an action game. It's not an action story. It's about an Italian poet (Dante) being guided around hell by a dead Roman. It's a trip, not a fight.

And that doesn't make a good Doom reminiscent God of War clone. Now does it? Political Satire doesn't sell well in video game form.

golentan
2010-03-03, 12:23 AM

Enjoy. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1472-Dantes-Inferno)

The game was not much worse than I expected. It was worse, however, and that's quite an accomplishment.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-03, 12:42 AM
I thought Dore's illustrations were pretty good.

Yeah, I'd say so.
{Scrubbed. HUGE image is too huge.}

Texas_Ben
2010-03-03, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I'd say so.

http://texttribe.com/gallery/Gustave_Dore/Dante_Divine_Comedy/gustave_dore_dante_devils_and_virgil.jpg

Please spoiler that image it's annoying to read the page.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-03-03, 01:22 AM
Having just seen the movie myself, and having played and enjoyed the game, I have to dispute that the movie was good in any sense of the word. Whereas the game at least sticks to the geography and such of the book, the movie...er...well remove Dante and Virgil saying 'hell' and it could have just been some trippy alternate dimension or whatnot. There wasn't this sense of 'Holy crap, this is hell'.

Aside from that fact, there seems to be a new artist every two or so levels of hell and none of them seem to agree on what Dante should look/act like or what genre it should be. Limbo itself seems to have it's own artist, who probably should have been allowed to do the rest, because at Anger you get an artist who seems to think he's doing anime because Lucifer takes down Phelegos the boatman with a beam-attack to the face. A Phelegos who, as opposed to the game where he was a giant fire giant type deal, looks like a mutated orca anthro with a human mouth.

The movie doesn't even stick to the GAME that much, seeing as how Beatrice is wed/transformed/etc at Fraud (and Dante actually FIGHTS her) as opposed to through out all the layers for climatic build-up when Dante finally confronts her at Fraud (and he confesses and such).

Hell (no pun intended, Virgil goes from looking like he was in the game, to a gothic Super Saiyan who wears make-up, to a normal roman man, briefly back to how he was into the game, and then to someone who looked like they belonged in WH40K. Which I suppose is fitting considering by...Violence and Treachery Dante looks like a space marine composed of a square wall of muscles meat with almost atrophied legs and massive arms.

In short, I really hope the OP was joking or trolling because...I really can't see any other explanation. I usually enjoy bad movies, if for no other reason then to make fun of them, and I really like movies that are so bad they come back around to good. Dante's Inferno the animated movie is neither, it's quite simply bad. I regret the hour and a half it took to watch it. Mark Hamilton had to have been drugged to voice-act this.

bosssmiley
2010-03-03, 09:30 AM

Obvious sequel bait ending though. I mean, climbing down Lucifer, wandering through a tunnel and emerging at the base of a huge tiered mountain on the far side of the world. Almost like they wanted to make a trilogy of it. Really tacky.

The original Kratos Dante would never have done such a thing. :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 12:27 PM
okay, I'd just like to ask one thing about the game.

Is everybody in it pretty much naked like I hear they are?

Yora
2010-03-03, 12:31 PM
The game strikes me as a blatant God of War rippoff, that was adopted to the most offensive background the developers could think of.

I'll still probably play it at some point. :smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2010-03-03, 01:27 PM
I thought Dore's illustrations were pretty good.

Agreed, but I like his work for Paradise Lost much better. It's unbelievable.

Horrorshow
2010-03-03, 02:47 PM
I can't comment on the gameplay because I have never tried the game. From a narrative standpoint, however, the game looks awful.

Why rape Dante like this? It's unnecessary. I'm no game designer, but centuries-old Italian epics don't seem suited for video game development. It subverts plot and characterization and destroys theme, while simultaneously restricting creative development on the part of the game designers. No matter how far the game strays from the original, it will have to stay faithful in some respect. That seems like more of a burden than anything.

If video game adaptations must be done, God of War seemed to have it right, from what little I know of it. The designers story preexisting mythological conditions and made their own story. There was the inevitable bowdlerization, but it seems more acceptable than what they have planned for The Inferno.

Now I'm just waiting for 24: Ulysses - The Video Game of the Classic Novel Based on the Smash Hit Television Series.

Zevox
2010-03-03, 03:01 PM
I'm no game designer, but centuries-old Italian epics don't seem suited for video game development.
The story isn't, but the setting is. An action game set in the hell Dante described is a pretty darn good concept for a video game. And really, if you can ignore the plot, the game itself is fairly good - they did a better job on some layers of hell than others, but on the whole they did a good job with the setting, and the gameplay was fun. The story was pathetic, and they probably could've done much better by abandoning the pretense of having that part be even loosely inspired by the poems and doing something completely different instead, but for an action game of this sort, that's kind of beside the point.

Now, how they're going to turn Purgatory and, especially, Paradise into video games in this vein is another matter entirely, but apparently they intend to try...

Zevox

Horrorshow
2010-03-03, 03:07 PM
The story isn't, but the setting is. An action game set in the hell Dante described is a pretty darn good concept for a video game. And really, if you can ignore the plot, the game itself is fairly good - they did a better job on some layers of hell than others, but on the whole they did a good job with the setting, and the gameplay was fun. The story was pathetic, and they probably could've done much better by abandoning the pretense of having that part be even loosely inspired by the poems and doing something completely different instead, but for an action game of this sort, that's kind of beside the point.

That's what I was getting at when I mentioned Dawn of War. Keep the setting, but abandon any pretense of sticking to the original plot. It's just messy.

Now, how they're going to turn Purgatory and, especially, Paradise into video games in this vein is another matter entirely, but apparently they intend to try...

Purgatory will be one very long loading screen.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 06:23 PM
Purgatory will be one very long loading screen.

"Achievement. You ACTUALLY made it through the game. here's $10"

That's what I'd want for getting through a game like that.

Dienekes
2010-03-03, 07:05 PM
"Achievement. You ACTUALLY made it through the game. here's $10"

That's what I'd want for getting through a game like that.

my money's on Satan breaks free and takes over Purgatory and/or Heaven for the game.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-03-03, 07:11 PM
On game ending and there being sequels:
[spoiler]Quite simply, Lucifer does escape the Inferno into Purgatory....So yeah. That wasn't just in the very poor movie.[/spoiler

Zevox
2010-03-03, 10:08 PM
my money's on Satan breaks free and takes over Purgatory and/or Heaven for the game.

On game ending and there being sequels:
Quite simply, Lucifer does escape the Inferno into Purgatory....So yeah. That wasn't just in the very poor movie.
Er, but that doesn't happen. Dante stops that, and then does his deus-ex-machina escape from hell via souls he collected. Lucifer is left stuck back in hell, unless I missed something really subtle.
Zevox

Triscuitable
2010-03-04, 01:20 PM
I wish people would just read the original story...

AND READ THE FIRST AND THIRD PARTS TOO, DARNIT!

Otherwise, I think three things.

- EA sucks at making action games. (It's a brutally obvious GoW rip-off.)

- Dante is a POET.

- He didn't die in the poem, he merely found the entrance by mistake.

BONUS!: Dante Aligheri was a real person. He lived during the renaissance, in Florence.