PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Does the Behir's initiative ability make it a better solo?

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-02, 07:40 PM
I'm asking those folks who like 4e [I personally tried it and found it not firmly enough in either the wargame or roleplaying camps for my tastes] and have GMed it for some information...

The Behir has that fancy initiative ability that allows it to act once at initiative 25, again at 15 and yet again at 5. I know it gets less impressive turns in each case, but it's still true that it can make three attacks each round, rather than the usual one or two for a solo.

What i'm wondering, is does this make it a better solo creature, given that i've been told that normal solos tend to suffer under the weight of attacks from a party compared to their paltry response.

DarknessLord
2010-03-02, 07:43 PM
Tiamat gets 5 turns a round.

Not that it really helps as I've never used her.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-02, 07:52 PM
A big problem with a solo is that, against any reasonably competent party, it will quickly find itself dazed, immobilized, blinded, prone, marked, cursed, and quarried all at the same time. They quite literally get debuffed into the ground.

Edge of Dreams
2010-03-02, 08:01 PM
Well, it does get three standard actions, and thus three attacks per round, but what if it needs to move? Sometimes, being able to move and then attack immediately would be an advantage.

Also, a lot of solos have minor action attacks or interrupts or whatever to help with action economy. The behir is just an alternate take on that, rather than a really substantial improvement.