PDA

View Full Version : So tell me about Vecna

gallagher
2010-03-03, 05:01 PM
hello playground,
with my limited knowledge and questionable google-fu, i was wondering what there is to be known about Vecna. from the books i have, it seems that the only relics to him are his hand, eye, the sword of Kas (i know who kas is, but i still say that this is a relic that points to Vecna's power) and some of the writings in the book of vile darkness.

i was wondering if anyone knew how i would contact other worshippers of vecna, or if there is any other interesting material about him. i would also like to know if there is any website or book that details his ascent to power, and other stories.

thanks in advance to any and all who help :)

FoE
2010-03-03, 05:07 PM
Vecna's been around since the olden days of 1E. His story varies depending on the edition and the setting, but there is one fact that is consistent: Vecna was an incredibly powerful lich betrayed by Kas, and upon his destruction, he ascended to godhood.

In 4E, Vecna is the god of forbidden knowledge and guarded secrets. His believers typically include wizards and clerics who believe in attaining and hoarding knowledge. He sends his Eye and his Hand into the world to be found by greedy mortals; when the possessors of the Eye and Hand die, their knowledge passes on to him. His followers often give up a hand or an eye to mark their worship of Vecna and sometimes "sacrifice" powerful magic items in his name.

Vecna is profiled in Open Grave, if I recall. Alternatively, he does have a Wikipedia page.

subject42
2010-03-03, 05:09 PM
The most powerful artifact of Vecna is the head of Vecna. Much like his eye and hand, it requires a certain sacrifice on the part of the bearer.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-03, 05:11 PM
The most powerful artifact of Vecna is the head of Vecna. Much like his eye and hand, it requires a certain sacrifice on the part of the bearer.

The trick is implanting it before you make the sacrifice. Most people make the mistake of making the sacrifice first.

gallagher
2010-03-03, 05:18 PM
The trick is implanting it before you make the sacrifice. Most people make the mistake of making the sacrifice first.
lol i have heard of the head of vecna trick, almost got me there ;)

and i was thinking, if i were to make a sacrifice of a powerful item to vecna (assuming i had all appropriate items) would it seem like a proper sacrifice to vecna to hide the hand so that nobody else could use it and obtain his power, keep the eye and use it myself, and then destroy the sword of kas?

btw, this is a 3.5 campaign, and i am adventuring to become vecnas second in command. i think i would make a better #2 than Kas for various reasons, one of which being that i am not really a caster.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 05:19 PM
In 2e, Vecna made his mark on canon. He created one hell of a Xanatos gambit and stole Iuz's power, going from demi-god to max rank greater god and went to the spire, overwhelming the Lady and started seriously damaging reality. Even though he was beaten, his gambit paid off, the rules of the universe were altered to be more wizard friendly (many of us use Die! Vecna! Die! as the in universe explanation of 2e's change to 3e) and he still had enough power to remain a lesser god.

Scorpions__
2010-03-03, 05:57 PM
We can't tell you about Vecna, it's a secret.

DM[F]R

Mando Knight
2010-03-03, 06:00 PM
btw, this is a 3.5 campaign, and i am adventuring to become vecnas second in command. i think i would make a better #2 than Kas for various reasons, one of which being that i am not really a caster.

You don't become Vecna's number two (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NumberTwo). You might become his number one thrall, but you don't become his second in command. Especially if you're a noncaster, since you're worth about as much use to him alive as you are as a corpse for him to make into some kind of undead.

Thajocoth
2010-03-03, 06:20 PM
In 4e... If I remember the full story correctly...

Vecna was originally a man. He studied necromancy and excelled in it. He became a lich and continued to grow in power. The Sword of Kas, wielded by Kas, who was his top underling or something, cut off his hand and eye. The Sword, Eye and Hand are all living artifacts now. Vecna has since risen to godhood. As a god he's the Evil god of Necromancy, undeath and secrets who is directly opposed by Ioun. If one seeks power from Vecna and finds his hand and/or eye, then they can remove their own hand and/or eye and attach Vecna's. If they displease Vecna too much with it though, the artifact(s) will disintegrate them. The Head of Vecna is a non-existent artifact that was made up to fool a party of adventurers. Half of them died trying to use it before they realized that they'd been had. The Sword of Kas tempts it's wielder towards betrayal in their dreams and gains bonuses when used to betray their allies.

In a campaign of mine, I had a dragon that worshiped Vecna have a statue of Vecna as a sort of locked doorway. The statue was of a man casting a spell, but was missing a hand, an eye, and an implement. The implement was a skull to represent the Head of Vecna. The other two keys needed and what they represented should be fairly obvious. Mentioning this because I thought it was cool.

BRC
2010-03-03, 06:25 PM
Venca: Big on Secrets, symbol is an eye, disintegrates those who displease him...

http://wiki.nexuswar.com/images/thumb/f/f7/FCeye.gif/250px-FCeye.gif
Ignorance is Bliss
Bliss is Happiness
HAPPINESS IS MANDATORY

Volkov
2010-03-03, 06:26 PM
You don't become Vecna's number two (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NumberTwo). You might become his number one thrall, but you don't become his second in command. Especially if you're a noncaster, since you're worth about as much use to him alive as you are as a corpse for him to make into some kind of undead.

Actually, you can rise to the Voice of Vecna, which is the rank of his number two. But you must be a cleric, and you will still probably be nothing more than his number one minion. He is the most powerful mortal mage to have ever lived in the greyhawk setting after all. Surpassing Mordenkainen, Zagyg, and Acererak. Who I might remind you, all are level 30 something wizards. And Acererak was once a devout Cleric of Vecna (he was a level 20 something wizard, level 10 or so cleric and had quite a few levels in mystic theruge), before becoming a vestige after being defeated for real. Vecna didn't care in the slightest, and in fact helped set up an order to counter the threat of vestiges, Acererak included.

So being an Employee of Vecna can lead to great power, death, or worse.

Vecna's plots are generally focused on increasing his power, and because of his nasty habit of stealing the powers of other Deities and the fact that he came closer to total domination than any other power in the Greyhawk, Planescape, and Ravenloft setting, and the fact that he outfoxed Ravenloft's Dark powers themselves has made him feared among the gods.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-03, 06:28 PM
Vecna is the epitomy of what all powerhungry sorcerers, wizards and many clerics dream of becoming.

He was a wizard king who gained enough power through his magic to become a lich and eventually even ascend to divinity. Almost all evil wizards would resent and respect Vecna because he is an example of their deepest darkest desires and proof of the supreme power and evil that can be accomplished through magic. He was born a normal child and through hard work, intelligence, determination and powerful magic has achieved what no other mage since.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 06:32 PM
Vecna is the epitomy of what all powerhungry sorcerers, wizards and many clerics dream of becoming.

He was a wizard king who gained enough power through his magic to become a lich and eventually even ascend to divinity. Almost all evil wizards would resent and respect Vecna because he is both proof and an example of their deepest darkest desires. He was born a normal child and through hard work, intelligence, determination and powerful magic has achieved what no other mage since.
Not to mention, he is a very crafty planner and has outsmarted numerous other forces ranging From the dark powers to zagyg. If your average heroic wizard is batman, then Vecna is Doctor Doom/Thanos. He only ever loses if it's part of his plan.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-03, 06:44 PM
Vecna didn't care in the slightest, and in fact helped set up an order to counter the threat of vestiges, Acererak included.

We know some of his clerics were involved in that. We have no reason to know that Vecna himself had any role.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 06:57 PM
We know some of his clerics were involved in that. We have no reason to know that Vecna himself had any role.

But he'd probably tear a fabric in reality to devour them for their divine power, it's the type of thing he'd do. I believe a vestige is worth about one divine rank per level it is, *I.E Orthos is worth 8 divine ranks* as Tenebrous is Orcus's lost divinity, I believe this theory holds merit. Heck that could have made an awesome module for 3.5, Vecna has released and consumed several vestiges, bringing himself up to the levels of an over-deity, making him a dire threat to all reality.

Heliomance
2010-03-03, 07:30 PM
It's quite easy to destroy an artifact, actually. Use it to cast Apocalypse From The Sky.

Volkov
2010-03-03, 07:32 PM
It's quite easy to destroy an artifact, actually. Use it to cast Apocalypse From The Sky.
It won't happen because Vecna never planned for it to happen. Because he's an epic level wizard.

BenTheJester
2010-03-03, 08:45 PM
Vecna didn't care in the slightest, and in fact helped set up an order to counter the threat of vestiges, Acererak included.

What's this order and where can I find information on it?

JoshuaZ
2010-03-03, 08:48 PM
What's this order and where can I find information on it?

The Order of Seropaenes, an ecumenical society devoted to stamping out binders. They are discussed in Tome of Magic. However, as I noted above, it isn't clear that Vecna himself had anything to do with setting it up, although a high level cleric of his certainly did.

Thajocoth
2010-03-03, 08:52 PM
...gets the graftee's knowledge upon their death...Are you sure it's upon death? Rather than from the moment they start wearing it?

Dr.Epic
2010-03-03, 08:53 PM
Vecna is an anagram for "N Cave".

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 09:12 PM

apparently there was an errata that makes it so that the artifact is just a focus. it isn't destroyed.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-03, 09:20 PM
apparently there was an errata that makes it so that the artifact is just a focus. it isn't destroyed.

Hmm, do you know where that is? I've never seen that before. Also doesn't the official fluff talk about evil people deliberately using artifacts of good for the purpose? That makes a lot more sense if it destroys the artifact.

Noble Savant
2010-03-03, 09:20 PM
In addition, in some iterations, Vecna is the prisoner of Ravenloft, the most powerful being to have become trapped in the mists. He's also the only person with the stones to go up against the Dark Powers that control the plane itself, rather then the Dark Lords.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-03, 09:26 PM
Hmm, do you know where that is? I've never seen that before. Also doesn't the official fluff talk about evil people deliberately using artifacts of good for the purpose? That makes a lot more sense if it destroys the artifact.

not a dang clue.

Mando Knight
2010-03-03, 09:27 PM
Actually, you can rise to the Voice of Vecna, which is the rank of his number two. But you must be a cleric, and you will still probably be nothing more than his number one minion.

There's a difference between being the Voice of Vecna and being Vecna's Number Two. VoV is Vecna's most devout toady, while a proper Number Two would actually be respected by his liege. Vecna's secretive, plotting, backstabbing methodology inherently prohibits him from taking up one of his followers and making him like Riker is to Picard or Spock to Kirk. He might give you power, prestige, and whatever, but you're still only his strongest pawn, never a co-conspirator or Most Trusted General.

bosssmiley
2010-03-04, 06:43 AM
Vecna's Realm (http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=220), by Erik Mona (yeah, him).

The late 2E Vecna Loves/Die Vecna Die! storyline? Discontinuity to me. TSR made a lot of bad, tacky decisions in their dying days. :smallamused:

magic9mushroom
2010-03-04, 07:00 AM
You can't destroy the sword, it is an artifact and thus beyond your means.

Get the party UMDer to UMD a staff of Disjunction. Poof.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 07:06 AM
Vecna's Realm (http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=220), by Erik Mona (yeah, him).

The late 2E Vecna Loves/Die Vecna Die! storyline? Discontinuity to me. TSR made a lot of bad, tacky decisions in their dying days. :smallamused:

TSR wasn't around then. That was a WoTC storyline.

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 07:20 AM

Wasnt it an anagram for Vance?

Volkov
2010-03-04, 07:22 AM
Wasnt it an anagram for Vance?

It is, because Vecna is the master of vanceian magic.

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 07:51 AM

FAQ to BoVD states that it is a focus, not a material component- and is not destroyed.

I'm not sure if Errata states it as well.

EDIT: Apparently someone has already said this.

Amiel
2010-03-04, 08:31 AM
Actually, it's heavily, heavily implied that the Serpent is merely a figment of Vecna's deluded imagination (and not existing at all in reality); the position put forth that not all of Vecna is intact up there. He may be chillingly intellectually brilliant, but he's more than a few screws loose.

Eldariel
2010-03-04, 08:37 AM
Actually, it's heavily, heavily implied that the Serpent is merely a figment of Vecna's deluded imagination (and not existing at all in reality); the position put forth that not all of Vecna is intact up there. He may be chillingly intellectually brilliant, but he's more than a few screws loose.

As a now-deity, I wouldn't put it beyond him to actually have made The Serpent real.

Amiel
2010-03-04, 08:43 AM
Well, the Serpent is said to be the personification of arcane magic itself; perhaps as far beyond deities as they are beyond mortals. Ergo, possibly an overdeity. A now-deity, even one as proficient in Xanatos Gambits/Roulettes' as Vecna is going to find it exceedingly difficult to evoke an overdeity into being. It's more a case of the other way around.

Eldariel
2010-03-04, 08:48 AM
Well, the Serpent is said to be the personification of arcane magic itself; perhaps as far beyond deities as they are beyond mortals. Ergo, possibly an overdeity. A now-deity, even one as proficient in Xanatos Gambits/Roulettes' as Vecna is going to find it exceedingly difficult to evoke an overdeity into being. It's more a case of the other way around.

It's rather not break my tiny little head trying to comprehend what an Int 40 creature can come up with.

hamlet
2010-03-04, 09:47 AM
It should be noted for the OP, if only for historical perspective, that the original mention of Vecna came well before AD&D, originally in Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry (and maybe possibly in Supplement I, but I can't recall off hand) when it listed his Hand and Eye for the first time.

Originally, he was not detailed beyond his artifacts and the statement that he was once a Mage of Power (an actual title in Greyhawk) long ago and that all that survived of him was his eye and hand and the sword of his traiterous lieutenant Khass and the knowledge (or perhaps merely an assumption) that he ruled a vast empire in the Flaeness long before the arrival of the Suloise. Everything else is later kludged on . . . stuff being the most neutral term I can come up with . . . by other authors and publishers.

My point was that originally, Vecna was intended as a tribute to Vance himself as the inspiration of D&D's magic system and as an inspirational note for DM's to build on him as and if they pleased. Personally, I much prefer him this way, especially as the later material just falls flat for me.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 09:48 AM

Zagyg is crazy, Vecna is not.

BRC
2010-03-04, 09:50 AM
Well think about it this way. Which is more awesome, that Venca got ultimate arcane power from some secret god of magic, or that he got ultimate arcane power from his own hallucination.

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 09:53 AM
Vecna isn't the only lich believing in The Serpent though- the demilich Sharalee in Epic Handbook, also does- and has founded an organization to catalogue all magic because she believes this is what The Serpent wants.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 09:54 AM
Well think about it this way. Which is more awesome, that Venca got ultimate arcane power from some secret god of magic, or that he got ultimate arcane power from his own hallucination.

Not some secret god of magic, Mo'zyn is magic itself. Also, Vecna's mother would also have to be crazy because she told him about Mo'zyn and all about the proper way to honor it.

hamlet
Zagyg is crazy, Vecna is not.

Zagyg was whacky and wierd. Never, to my knowledge, was it stated that he was actually insane, just that most assumed he was.

Of course, if Zagyg was insane, it doesn't mean that Vecna is/was not either.

JeenLeen
I'm not sure of his source, but my old D&D DM said he read that Vecna kills any worshipper of his that reaches either level 20 or epic levels, out of fear of betrayal like Kas.

(Though it would make more sense if he only killed arcane casters, since melee doesn't hold a torch and he can just shut off the divine casting powers of his clerics.)

Has anyone heard similiar stories about Vecna?

Volkov
2010-03-04, 09:56 AM
Zagyg was whacky and wierd. Never, to my knowledge, was it stated that he was actually insane, just that most assumed he was.

Of course, if Zagyg was insane, it doesn't mean that Vecna is/was not either.

Zagyg dressed up a flesh golem to look like the overking, yeah, he's crazy.

BRC
2010-03-04, 09:57 AM
Not some secret god of magic, Mo'zyn is magic itself. Also, Vecna's mother would also have to be crazy because she told him about Mo'zyn and all about the proper way to honor it.
Unless his mother told him about the Serpent, knowing he would bring it into existence with his madness and engineering his rise to power. Thus, Vecna's Mother is the most brilliant being in the multiverse!

hamlet
2010-03-04, 09:58 AM
Zagyg dressed up a flesh golem to look like the overking, yeah, he's crazy.

What? You haven't done that?

Seriously, though, where did you get that from? Is that Ivid the Undying? Never read that adventure myself.

Volkov
2010-03-04, 10:00 AM
Unless his mother told him about the Serpent, knowing he would bring it into existence with his madness and engineering his rise to power. Thus, Vecna's Mother is the most brilliant being in the multiverse!

She was killed by the equivalent of the spanish inquisition.

BRC
2010-03-04, 10:03 AM
She probably arranged that herself, chugged a potion of Fire Immunity, replaced herself with a clone, and slipped away (Because some of the people burning "Her" were, in fact, her allies).

hamishspence
2010-03-04, 10:05 AM
Do you mean The Order of Illumination?
(who have Shadowbane Stalkers and Shadowbane Inquisitors, in 3.5)

The witch-hunter order in Tome of Magic sounds fairly similar- except it was founded by priests of Vecna, among others- so must be a little too late.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-04, 01:02 PM

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

Callos_DeTerran
2010-03-04, 01:53 PM
You can read more about Vecna in one of the Dragon Magazine articles, details a fair bit about his religion and things of that nature (surprisingly good read), including another artifact made FROM him the Ear of Vecna (I think) and a list of the total possible organ-artifacts out there. I think his heart is one of them.

On the Serpent though, three possibilities are acknowledged as being the Serpent. The Serpent is some unknown being, which isn't given much credit to since many want to believe if there was something like the Serpent out there then somebody would have noticed it. The Serpent is actually Asmodeus which...there is other evidence to support that, oddly enough. Or The Serpent is a figment of Vecna's imagination.

Mando Knight
2010-03-04, 01:55 PM
Get the party UMDer to UMD a staff of Disjunction. Poof.

Right. Because the Sword of Kas will fail the low-DC Disjunction's Will Save on the 17% chance that it affects the blade at all.

Eldan
2010-03-04, 01:59 PM

... not even Vecna's mother.

chiasaur11
2010-03-04, 02:02 PM
... not even Vecna's mother.

See?

Their chief weapon IS fear. And suprise. Suprise and fear.

I really need to learn to resist obvious set up lines.

Thalnawr
2010-03-04, 02:23 PM
See?

And ruthless efficiency.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-04, 02:27 PM
See?

Now sir, have you forgotten about....the comfy chair?

Volkov
2010-03-04, 03:57 PM
You can read more about Vecna in one of the Dragon Magazine articles, details a fair bit about his religion and things of that nature (surprisingly good read), including another artifact made FROM him the Ear of Vecna (I think) and a list of the total possible organ-artifacts out there. I think his heart is one of them.

On the Serpent though, three possibilities are acknowledged as being the Serpent. The Serpent is some unknown being, which isn't given much credit to since many want to believe if there was something like the Serpent out there then somebody would have noticed it. The Serpent is actually Asmodeus which...there is other evidence to support that, oddly enough. Or The Serpent is a figment of Vecna's imagination.

I already debunked the asmodeus theory. He can cast spells as a cleric only, and the Serpent is the embodiement of ARCANE magic, He's not going to fool anyone with a good amount of ranks in spellcraft, which is pretty much every spellcaster in greyhawk.

The third theory is impossible because Vecna is not the only one who believes in the serpent.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-03-05, 01:26 AM
Are there any prestige classes associated with Vecna?

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-05, 11:25 AM

I apologize to the thread that I have nothing helpful to post. But I absolutely love your avatar and user name. :smallsmile:

megabyter5
2010-03-05, 11:54 AM
I hadn't heard of the "Head of Vecna" trick before, so the proper response to the reference to it on the first page is "I see what you did there". However, I bet you'd have better luck trying to pass off a "Heart of Vecna" instead.

...Partly because his head is probably still attached to him, and Liches wouldn't need hearts; partly because you could use one from any random corpse you've got lying around. The DM will never again make a BBEG without max ranks in sense motive.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-03-05, 12:10 PM
I apologize to the thread that I have nothing helpful to post. But I absolutely love your avatar and user name. :smallsmile:

*does a merry jig*

Well, I can't seem to find any Vecna-themed PRC's... I suppose Archmage and the like for a wizard is simple enough...

JeenLeen
2010-03-05, 12:51 PM

Not that I know of, but I've heard of a Vecna-blooded template. I don't know anything about it, except that I've heard it's a good one, from which I deduce that it's overpowered. Does anyone here know the details?

Edit: found it in Monster Manual V, under God-blooded templates

BenTheJester
2010-03-05, 01:07 PM
Not that I know of, but I've heard of a Vecna-blooded template. I don't know anything about it, except that I've heard it's a good one, from which I deduce that it's overpowered. Does anyone here know the details?

It has the ability 1/day to make anyone in a 120ft radius to forget it's there, resulting in 50% chance to be unable to target him with anything for 1 minute

It has the ability 1/day as a swift action to cast his spells giving a flat-footed enemy -4 on its saves

It also makes you immune to any scrying(even from the gods, except Vecna) or other mundane attempts to gather information about you

cheezewizz2000
2010-03-05, 02:02 PM

It's also an anagram of Vance. Vecna was named after the guy who inspired the D&D magic system.

Edit: Ah, lame. Ninja'd so, so hard. That'll teach me to reply to a post before I've read the rest of the thread.

Tome
2010-03-05, 02:46 PM

Actually, by now everyone expects the spanish inquisition.

Rhubarb.

LemonSkye
2010-03-06, 02:28 AM
On the subject of Vecna and vestiges: Dragon 341 has stats for the vestige of none other than Kas the Bloody-Handed himself. It's entirely possible that Vecna has a direct hand in the Order of Seropaenes because of this.
Vecna guide us. We whisper your name. We seek the knowledge. We find the secrets. For power, for Oerth, for your will, for your rule. In the name of the Hand and the Eye, we open our minds to you.
WotC's 2007 April Fools special was an adventure based around the Head of Vecna; you can find it here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070401a). Dragon 348 had a Core Beliefs article dedicated to him; suggested prestige classes for Vecna's faithful are Mystic Theurge, Fleshwarper, Loremaster, Heirophant, Archmage, Tainted Scholar, Spymaster, or Warrior of Darkness. Any class with a focus on gaining knowledge, arcane mastery, or a combination of both is well-suited for those who honor the Maimed One.

hamishspence
2010-03-06, 06:22 AM
And, in Open Grave, the villain Osterneth the Bronze Lich, became a lich via her implantation of the item called the Heart Of Vecna.

Volkov
2010-03-06, 08:18 AM
Actually, by now everyone expects the spanish inquisition.

Rhubarb.

Yes....But no one expects the IMPERIAL inquisition! Heretic!

Eldan
2010-03-06, 08:29 AM
So, if a PC finds a way to survive without a head, does the head of vecna actually do anything? :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-06, 09:11 AM
So, if a PC finds a way to survive without a head, does the head of vecna actually do anything? :smalltongue:

No. No it does not.

Volkov
2010-03-06, 11:41 AM

Nope, it's just a regular mummified head with it's left eye poked out.