PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Monk Multiclass?

Vallum
2010-03-03, 10:44 PM
The calm warrior that leashes his inner rage, pointing the inner beast to his target, controlling his bestial energy reserves with focus Ki for a combination of mental training and pockets of power to be utilized with flying fists and feet!

I talk of none other then the Monk/Barbarian, the greatest memory of 2ed D&D for me...
I was let down when I first found out some odd years ago that no more can I be thier awesome combination in 3.5, later PFRPG as well

This year, however, I am a DM
As I DM, much homebrewing of my continent and campaign occured, and I thought, 'Wait a sec, maybe I could house rule this awesome combination..."
Thus, my homebrew feat I wished to share with everyone!

Ascetic Barbarian
The life of a monk is one of control. You have taken this concept to the highest of strains, as you control the inner primal energies with your ascetic training
Prerequisites: 13 Wis, Improved Unarmed Strike, Rage ability
Benefits: Your monk and barbarian levels stack for the purpose of determining your unarmed strike damage and AC bonus when unarmored. For example, a half-orc 1st level Barbarian/4th-level monk would deal 1d8 points of damage with his unarmed strike and his bonus to AC while unarmored would be, in addition to his bonus to AC from Wis and Dex, (if any), +1
Your monk and barbarian levels also stack when determining how many times you may rage per day
In addition, you can freely multiclass between Monk and Barbarian as long as you retain your Lawful alignment, (this bypasses the barbarian need to remain or be chaotic in order to level in barbarian and utilize all barbarian class features, including rage)

This good? What are your guys/gals thoughts?

Glimbur
2010-03-03, 10:48 PM
Technically you can't rage if you're Lawful. Fix that. Also, change Prerequisites: +13 Wis to 13 Wis, the current format makes me think you need a +13 wis modifier, or 36 wisdom, which is silly. It looks workable.

Latronis
2010-03-03, 11:10 PM
It's a little one-sided, so you'd probably be better off maxing barb levels over monk levels. (the feat only advances uses of rage not the better rages and barbs have the full BAB)

Vallum
2010-03-04, 02:05 AM
Technically you can't rage if you're Lawful. Fix that. Also, change Prerequisites: +13 Wis to 13 Wis, the current format makes me think you need a +13 wis modifier, or 36 wisdom, which is silly. It looks workable.

Thanks for the odd-ball notice dude, fixed

It's a little one-sided, so you'd probably be better off maxing barb levels over monk levels. (the feat only advances uses of rage not the better rages and barbs have the full BAB)

You still have to worry about XP penalties from multiclassing... unless you're human or half-elf.... Hmmm.... Crud.... wanted this to be more balanced of the classes or leaning towards monk... idk how to do that with barbarian. The only play testing ive done with this feat got into two prestige classes after barb1/monk4...

any suggestions?

Latronis
2010-03-04, 03:38 AM
Honestly not really.

Possibly something like add your strength to save DC's of stunning fist attempts while in a rage may promote levelling both classes up.

Mangles
2010-03-04, 06:15 AM
just give monks full bab and if they want the different types of strikes besides just punching for more damage they have too take monk levels anyway

Kuzimu
2010-03-04, 09:02 AM
If you go to Crystalkeep, and look up their Base Classes section, there actually is a variant for a raging monk, if you want a basis for homebrewing. I hope this helps!