PDA

View Full Version : What the Bloop is this?

Amiel
2010-03-04, 09:47 AM
The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency and extremely powerful underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) several times during the summer of 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown.

According to the NOAA description, it "rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km." NOAA's system ruled out its origin as any known man-made sound, such as a submarine or bomb, or familiar geological sounds such as volcanoes or earthquakes. While the audio profile of the bloop does resemble that of a living creature, the system identified it as unknown because it was far too loud for that to have been the case: it was several times louder than the loudest known biological sound (that of the blue whale).

So, uh, what is the bloop (http://www.bloopwatch.org/bloop_realtime.wav)?...

Anyone have any theories, possibilities, opinions, speculations, thoughts?

Ikialev
2010-03-04, 09:55 AM
Cthulu is waking up!

Anuan
2010-03-04, 10:07 AM
I was hoping that's what this thread was gonna be about :smallbiggrin: I've no idea, though. I'm just going to say Cthulu like any other self-respecting geek and wish it didn't scare me so much.

Amiel
2010-03-04, 10:10 AM
:) Was about to post something along those lines actually.

50° S 100° W (a remote point in the south Pacific Ocean west of the southern tip of South America)

47°9′S 126°43′W / 47.15°S 126.717°W / -47.15; -126.717 in the southern Pacific Ocean

49°51′S 128°34′W / 49.85°S 128.567°W / -49.85; -128.567

Pacific pole of inaccessibility (48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W / 48.8767°S 123.3933°W / -48.8767; -123.3933

Asheram
2010-03-04, 10:17 AM
It sounds a bit like a printer.

It's the devil, printing out a few billion character sheets for his massive campaign "down there"

Redpieper
2010-03-04, 10:33 AM
The bit at the end which sounds like a Predator creeps me out :smalleek:

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 11:45 AM
So, Cthulhu snores?

Silence
2010-03-04, 01:01 PM
Little late, there, buddy. Like 13 years. Is there any recent devolopments on the story?

Asta Kask
2010-03-04, 01:06 PM
Not as far as I know. As it has only been heard a few times, there's really not enough data. Could be a giant squid farting, for all we know.

golentan
2010-03-04, 01:06 PM
Dammit... I knew I left the alarm clock plugged in...

Eldan
2010-03-04, 01:29 PM
:) Was about to post something along those lines actually.

Hmm. Really, that doesn't say much, does it? It's interesting that the bloop comes from close to the pole, but it only makes sense that Lovecraft would place R'lyeh there.

DraPrime
2010-03-04, 01:39 PM
Not as far as I know. As it has only been heard a few times, there's really not enough data. Could be a giant squid farting, for all we know.

I really hope it actually is a squid farting. That would be so...silly. :smallamused:

thubby
2010-03-04, 02:49 PM
*thinks*
have any ships sunken in that area?

bibliophile
2010-03-04, 06:02 PM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-04, 06:05 PM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Gah! What are you doing?!? :smalleek:

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-04, 06:51 PM
Gah! What are you doing?!? :smalleek:

Want worse?

Y'golonac.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-04, 06:56 PM
Hastur...Hastur...

Solaris
2010-03-04, 06:58 PM
golentan, golentan, golentan.
>>

Asheram
2010-03-04, 07:27 PM
Want worse?

Y'golonac.

Es Y'golonac! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXBiyll6zw)

Edit... Eh. slightly nsfw, I guess ... but definetly not safe for your mind.

Raiki
2010-03-04, 07:37 PM
golentan, golentan, golentan.
>>

You really think you need to try to summon him to a thread like this? He's already posted once for Ithaqua's sake.

~R~

Jayngfet
2010-03-04, 07:47 PM
I'm gonna be original here and actually post an opinion on what I think it is and not spam the same tired old joke.

I think it's quite possible that it's some sort of creature we haven't seen before, or possibly a whole bunch of smaller creatures. Blue whales are found pretty much everywhere, maybe it's just a few particularly large ones making noise?

Isn't the sea floor thick with dead cells and whatnot in some areas? Hypothetically speaking some sort of creature could chomp down, grow large, and produce it's own heat by burning calories like a mammal, being able to afford to since food literally litters the ground.

I fully realize that by horror movie rules I must die for presenting a rational explanation.

RandomNPC
2010-03-04, 07:47 PM
It's not a bloop, it's Cthulhus language filter, good old 'thulu stubbed his toe and didn't want us poor little mortal morsels to hear his cyclopian words of dark doom, or something like that.

chiasaur11
2010-03-04, 08:50 PM
I'm gonna be original here and actually post an opinion on what I think it is and not spam the same tired old joke.

I think it's quite possible that it's some sort of creature we haven't seen before, or possibly a whole bunch of smaller creatures. Blue whales are found pretty much everywhere, maybe it's just a few particularly large ones making noise?

Isn't the sea floor thick with dead cells and whatnot in some areas? Hypothetically speaking some sort of creature could chomp down, grow large, and produce it's own heat by burning calories like a mammal, being able to afford to since food literally litters the ground.

I fully realize that by horror movie rules I must die for presenting a rational explanation.

Thanks for the sacrifice, by the way. When you bite it, the rest of us will know to trust crazy old Professor Quartermass.

Solaris
2010-03-04, 08:53 PM
You really think you need to try to summon him to a thread like this? He's already posted once for Ithaqua's sake.

~R~

He's only partially manifested. Apparently he's got cookies in the oven.

Serpentine
2010-03-04, 09:03 PM

I fully realize that by horror movie rules I must die for presenting a rational explanation.I second the sentiment. Also, I both hope and am terrified in about equal measure that it's some unknown incredibly huge animal we just haven't found yet - after all, some of the biggest animals currently in existance were found only recently, in the ocean deeps, and we haven't even begun to explore the really deep bits. But the really scary bit? If there's one, there's many :eek:

Jayngfet
2010-03-04, 09:46 PM
I second the sentiment. Also, I both hope and am terrified in about equal measure that it's some unknown incredibly huge animal we just haven't found yet - after all, some of the biggest animals currently in existance were found only recently, in the ocean deeps, and we haven't even begun to explore the really deep bits. But the really scary bit? If there's one, there's many :eek:

Of course there's the probability that whatever it is doesn't breed often or have many live young. Odds are it'd take a whole lot of time for anything to get that big, and they don't appear to be hostile to human ships as far as we know.

If we do find a new huge creature, I demand it named the Behemoth, or possibly Hydra.

Serpentine
2010-03-04, 09:48 PM
But there can't just be one, and it's extremely unlikely that there would be fewer than, say, a dozen - more like at least a hundred, at the absolute minimum.
And I disagree. It must be leviathan. Behemoth was a land creature, and there's already at least one hydra creature.

Reinboom
2010-03-04, 09:50 PM
Hydra.

That's already a name of a living organism. :smalltongue:

Jayngfet
2010-03-04, 10:20 PM
Durn, I gotta brush up on my knowledge(nature):smallwink:.

Crow
2010-03-04, 10:43 PM
Could it have been some sort of underwater explosion? Like Mt. St. Helens, only underwater?

Pyrian
2010-03-04, 10:47 PM
That would be my guess - something geologic.

Serpentine
2010-03-04, 10:50 PM
Supposedly there was something about it that made them at least reasonably certain it came from something living. I don't know what that something was, but that's what the Wiki says.

Pyrian
2010-03-04, 10:57 PM
Well, it's not identifiable as a familiar geologic process, but it can't be ruled out from being an atypical geologic process - perhaps a large gas bubble escaping from the crust, for instance. Not a squid fart, but a sediment fart. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-03-04, 11:02 PM
NOAA's system ruled out its origin as any known man-made sound, such as a submarine or bomb, or familiar geological sounds such as volcanoes or earthquakes. While the audio profile of the bloop does resemble that of a living creature, the system identified it as unknown because it was far too loud for that to have been the case: it was several times louder than the loudest known biological sound.
Cryptozoologists have speculated that the Bloop could have been the sound of a giant sea monster, several times larger than the largest animal known, the blue whale, that made a huge noise a few times many years ago but never since. [6]
Others guess it could have been bubbles from some kind of huge chemical reaction in the seabed.[7]
Others guess it might have something to do with the interaction of powerful ocean currents.[8] And that's about all there is on the subject :smalltongue:

Also, sediment farts are just as scary :eek:

Pyrian
2010-03-04, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I read it earlier. I'm just putting my bet on bubbles rather than giant sea creatures named bubbles. :smallcool:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-04, 11:32 PM
Well, whatever it is, I'd like to know why it hasn't done anything the last 13 years.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:28 AM
Guys, geez, it's not Cthulhu, he's fictional.

It's probably the Kraken or something.

Serpentine
2010-03-05, 01:44 AM
Tch. We've already found the kraken.

http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/thegiant/diagram.gif

Eric Tolle
2010-03-05, 01:13 PM
But there can't just be one, and it's extremely unlikely that there would be fewer than, say, a dozen - more like at least a hundred, at the absolute minimum.

The problem with that notion is that if there's a population of creatures responsible for the Bloop, then we should be hearing it or similar sounds constantly- or at least much more than we have. My best guess is that it was some sort of weird geological happening, but even that is a guess. It's just very unlikely it was made by anything living.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 04:10 PM
I'm liking the sediment fart idea. It appeals to my childish sense of humor.

Athaniar
2010-03-05, 05:03 PM
I'm hoping it really is a sea monster, because I always want the most awesome theory to be true.

Aedilred
2010-03-05, 05:43 PM
Hasn't there been a "sighting" of something enormous- significantly bigger than a blue whale- by a sub? I have no quotable evidence for that, and there's no documentary evidence in any case, but I defnitely remember reading about a nautical research sub (Japanese I think) reporting they'd seen something massive some distance beneath them.

At the prospect of beasties of that size actually existing, I too am both excited and oddly terrified. It's nice to know that even in today's age of reason and science, there are still mysteries that can send a shiver down the spine...

Amiel
2010-04-17, 09:02 AM
Given that we really haven't explored the ocean depths much at all, it is highly, nay overwhelmingly plausible and possible that we're looking at a completely new species, monster even.

Yes, it is highly suspect and unusual why, if it is a monster, we have not heard more from it, however note that even whales and dolphins do not telegraph or signal their presence much at all.

Also remember that we are consistently and continually discovering new species every single day. Similarly, we believed the coelacanth to be extinct for 65 million years before we discovered it again in 1938.

Yora
2010-04-17, 09:37 AM
But it's also overwhelmingly plausible that it's an unusual geological process.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 09:39 AM
How so? I dunno, it may be entirely possible that it is geological in origin; if a bit too loud for it. The scientists have already admitted that the sound produced by the Bloop more than resembles an organic signature.

IIRC, a scientist who initially speculated that the sound could be that of an ice calving has apparently reframed his opinion to that of 'animal in origin.'

Yora
2010-04-17, 09:45 AM
Yes, but there is no organism known that could produce such sounds. That neither proves that there is an unknown giant creature, nor that it has to be a geological process.

It really just comes down to personal guesses what is more likely: Giant unknown creature or unknown geological process?
Could be either, or something entirely else.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 09:51 AM
The keywords there being 'no organism known'. The distinct signature of the sound could actually very well disprove that it is geological in formation. Geological and organic produce widely disparate sounds, and at the frequency that the Bloop was detected may lend further weight to the rumour that it is in fact animal. This is, of course, all speculation but science works on the principles of sifting through the hypothesis and casting the most plausible and logical explanation.
It would be very cool, and as mentioned extremely terrifying, if it did turn out to be an animal monster.

Trog
2010-04-17, 09:53 AM
*wades out of the ocean in a deep sea diving suit*

Trog definitely shouldn't have had all those burritos last night.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 09:54 AM
I knew it, it was Trog :smallamused:
Trog, the cause of Global Warming.

Trog
2010-04-17, 10:36 AM
Trog, the cause of Global Warming.

Sigged. :smallbiggrin:

Lyesmith
2010-04-17, 10:59 AM
Beneath the thunders of the upper deep, the Kraken sleepeth.

The Kraken stirs.And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance.

Amiel
2010-04-17, 11:32 AM
Sigged. :smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin: Enjoy

Beneath the thunders of the upper deep, the Kraken sleepeth.

The Kraken stirs.And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance.

That should totally be sung to the tune of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"

Asta Kask
2010-04-17, 01:53 PM
:mitd: I only had one bean!!! ONE BEAN!!!
:redcloak: Yeah, I suppose the roaches ate the other four hundred pounds?
:roach: *burp*

Sliver
2010-04-17, 02:37 PM
Es Y'golonac! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXBiyll6zw)

Edit... Eh. slightly nsfw, I guess ... but definetly not safe for your mind.

It's totally your fault that I'm now into such cheerful songs as Hey There (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA&feature=related).

Keld Denar
2010-04-17, 03:06 PM
Uh oh, little Cthulu is hungry after his long nap. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHJUrcVdJk)

Their souls make his tummy happy!

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-17, 05:20 PM
I want it to be a giant sea monster. I've never seen them discover something impressive.

arguskos
2010-04-17, 05:38 PM
I want it to be a giant sea monster. I've never seen them discover something impressive.
You know why? All the COOL scientists get eaten! :smalleek:

chiasaur11
2010-04-17, 05:39 PM

Giant Squids are boss.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-17, 05:41 PM
Giant Squids are boss.

Never saw that, was it recent?

chiasaur11
2010-04-17, 05:44 PM
Never saw that, was it recent?

First article I found. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238263,00.html)

Flickerdart
2010-04-17, 07:04 PM
First article I found. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,238263,00.html)

It better be an organism. If it lives, we can kill it.

Krade
2010-04-17, 07:14 PM
It's totally your fault that I'm now into such cheerful songs as Hey There (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA&feature=related).

While that is awesome/frightening, I prefer this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftld7Ohojg&feature=watch_response_rev). My affinity for the original song probably has something to do with this preference.

chiasaur11
2010-04-17, 09:13 PM

Danged squids. Hiding the facts and such.

Well, they still can't edit wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid)

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-17, 09:34 PM
Personally, I'm going with the alien space probe theory... Remember, they only ruled out known man-made sounds...

golentan
2010-04-17, 09:41 PM
In all honesty, and you didn't hear it from me, there are three things I can think of that would be down there and produce that noise. Two of them are research bases and one of them is a... distinctive organism. None of which people would be aware of.

chiasaur11
2010-04-17, 10:04 PM
In all honesty, and you didn't hear it from me, there are three things I can think of that would be down there and produce that noise. Two of them are research bases and one of them is a... distinctive organism. None of which people would be aware of.

Wait.

Does T'Leth count as a base?

Because this fits.

Partof1
2010-04-18, 12:26 AM

Meanwhile, at the League of Evil....

In all seriousness, I want it to be a sea monster, but not C'Thulhu, as that would be kinda lame after all the hype, but something big. Partly because I want the world to have some new cool thing going for it, and partly because I live in Alberta, with over half of a continent on one side of me, and a moutain range on the other, so I'd be safe.

golentan
2010-04-18, 12:33 AM
No, the bases are not evil, nor eldritch abominations, nor anything else inimical to human life. They are merely here to measure certain interesting processes native to the region (base 1), and make first contact with intelligent life, should any arise on this planet (base 2). :smallyuk:

Hope springs eternal. :smallsigh:

Gorgondantess
2010-04-18, 01:21 AM
While that is awesome/frightening, I prefer this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftld7Ohojg&feature=watch_response_rev). My affinity for the original song probably has something to do with this preference.
Pffft. 'S got nothing on Fishmen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI).

C'Thulhu, as that would be kinda lame after all the hype

I....
I don't believe I've ever heard those words in the same sentence.:smalleek:

absolmorph
2010-04-18, 01:26 AM

Living IRL is the same as having stats in DnD.

Ossian
2010-04-18, 03:40 AM
Ft'aghn....

You gotta be tired of your mental sanity for opening the debate on the private business of the star child! Human, for your audacity you shall be visited in your dreams by things that creep....

...and so will I, cause I have posted in this tread. Damn it, the Elder Gods know no loyalty for their servants :(

O.

Ps
Tectonic plaque shifting?

PPS
Also, we need a chtulhu smiley on these boards

Ravens_cry
2010-04-18, 05:08 AM

Well, they still can't edit wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid)
The photo of the giant squid beak in that article, am I the only one reminded of. . .goatse?
If anyone does not know what I am talking about, by all that is good in the world, by all that is sane in the world, DO NOT GOOGLE!

Sliver
2010-04-18, 05:16 AM
The photo of the giant squid beak in that article, am I the only one reminded of. . .goatse?
If anyone does not know what I am talking about, by all that is good in the world, by all that is sane in the world, DO NOT GOOGLE!

Damn.

Kobold-Bard
2010-04-18, 05:20 AM

Damn.

You Googled it didn't you. In Raven's defence you were warned :smallwink:

Though Raven was being naughty by mentioning it in the first place.

Also: Is Goletan some high up government type? Or were the last couple of posts supposed to be taken in jest? I'm tired and can't tell.

Serpentine
2010-04-18, 05:24 AM
It's his "I'm actually a horrifying immortal alien from somewhere or somesuch" thing.

Coupla notes on it being an undiscovered animal: considering how little of the ocean we've studied or explored it's not totally unlikely. Neither's some inorganic event, but still. Of course, it would have to be a very, very deep sea creature, that probably never comes very high (as opposed to, say, sperm whales that often go down deep, and giant squid that occasionally come up shallow), and so it would probably be killed if it tried.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-18, 07:27 AM

I lol'd. Hard.

Dragero
2010-04-18, 08:57 PM
I want to google......but I must heed the warning.....But it could be funny.....No! Backspace! Good!

Anyways, about seamonsters, there is actualy a kind of shark (Or was it a whale?) that was only caught one time, and has never been caught or seen again.

Could be a similar thing here, or a realy angry school of Sonic Shrimp. (That kind of shrimp that can make a sound as loud as a gunshot)

Ravens_cry
2010-04-18, 09:01 PM
You Googled it didn't you. In Raven's defence you were warned :smallwink:

Though Raven was being naughty by mentioning it in the first place.

I speak my mind, fellow breather, I speak my mind.
Apologies to any plants, dead, fish, or undead in the audience.

golentan
2010-04-19, 04:18 PM
I want to google......but I must heed the warning.....But it could be funny.....No! Backspace! Good!

Anyways, about seamonsters, there is actualy a kind of shark (Or was it a whale?) that was only caught one time, and has never been caught or seen again.

Could be a similar thing here, or a realy angry school of Sonic Shrimp. (That kind of shrimp that can make a sound as loud as a gunshot)

No, they're native to my area. The thing is that they have a very distinctive Popping noise. En masse, it sounds like static. Linky. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONQlTMUYCW4) You'd need millions, and they only live close to shore. I think people would notice.

As for the shark, I do recall footage of some 60 foot filter feeder being recorded some time in the last decade or two (60 ft putting it well beyond the whale shark) but can't find a reference. Anyone else remember what they called it?

Sharks aren't really known for blooping, though. Or making sounds of any sort, really.

Dragero
2010-04-19, 04:27 PM
Just listened to it again.....Sound almost like a motorboat mixed with a lot of radio static....Or just Cthulu.

Don't think it's bubbles, it sounds too.....alive.

Maybe it's the sound of an underwater earthquake thats causing rocks to rub against eachother?

littlebottom
2010-04-19, 06:29 PM
well, fish have an odd ability in which they have no true limit on their size, and most fish just keep growing and growing. thats why you can find seeming monster sized fish many times their average size, often these fish are absolutely ancient and have just grown and grown.

now, here is something i think it could be, we humans have many diseases, and genetic mutations, one which make the person grow much larger than they should of done, due to the growth hormones production is not stopped. this often causes problems for the persons bones and such. but, taking this with the fact fish grow and grow, it could just be a naturally large sea animal that had some genetic mutation making it grow much bigger and faster than intended, and luckily grew decently old. making it absolutely massive. its likely that such a thing is now dead. as it proberbly woke up cthulhu who had it as a mid night snack before dozing back off again.:smallsmile:

Darth Mario
2010-04-19, 07:55 PM

Capt. Jack Harkness: "Who looks at a shrimp and thinks 'Ooh, this could be a little more sonic!'?"
If you don't get it, go watch yer Doctor Who.

Flickerdart
2010-04-19, 08:06 PM

Colossal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid) Squids are larger than mere Giant Squids.

golentan
2010-04-19, 08:20 PM
Capt. Jack Harkness: "Who looks at a shrimp and thinks 'Ooh, this could be a little more sonic!'?"

I do! Though I think it would be more masterful to go with Laser shrimp.

Ravens_cry
2010-04-19, 09:19 PM
The same people who looked at a freaking Hedgehog.
Don't get it? Play some Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Anuan
2010-04-19, 10:09 PM
I do! Though I think it would be more masterful to go with Laser shrimp.

i c wut u did thar

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-20, 04:07 AM
The Pistol Shrimp is the loudest creature on earth. It can use the snapping of its claws to create massive sound waves to stun or kill its prey, and creates pockets of air as hot as the surface of the sun whilst doing so. :smalleek:

banjo1985
2010-04-20, 05:04 AM
An as yet undiscovered species of Sonic Shrimp then? One that got cut off in the ocean trench and has adapted to living deep down? A big colony of several million could make one heck of a noise, especially when amplified through so much water.

Of course, it could just be Aquaman on a stag-party or something...

golentan
2010-04-20, 02:04 PM
An as yet undiscovered species of Sonic Shrimp then? One that got cut off in the ocean trench and has adapted to living deep down? A big colony of several million could make one heck of a noise, especially when amplified through so much water.

Water does not amplify sound. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQg8JKo_3ZQ)

Kneenibble
2010-04-20, 08:44 PM

:biggrin: Thankfully wikipedia told me what that is without having to see the actual image. Yikes.

I was just about to say though, on behalf of the gay community, that that is what we believe a woman's privates look like.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-20, 08:50 PM
:biggrin: Thankfully wikipedia told me what that is without having to see the actual image. Yikes.

I was just about to say though, on behalf of the gay community, that that is what we believe a woman's privates look like.

Y'know, I'm not even going to touch that.

EDIT: I'm spoilering this, but this is for you Kneen.

Which, I suppose, also falls to the gay community's view on women's privates?
-rimshot-

God this is bad.

Kneenibble
2010-04-20, 10:34 PM
Heh. Well played, dear.

Amiel
2010-04-21, 04:55 AM

It sounds remarkably like the passing of gas out of some hideous orifice that we dare not contemplate, lest our contemplation invokes the re-alignment of the stars (into shapes more palatable to alienist minds) and calls forth Cthulhu.

And a trillion krill cried out in horror.

Krade
2010-04-22, 08:18 PM
And a trillion krill cried out in horror.

And no one noticed (or cared if they did):smalltongue:

Has anyone else ever noticed how few people are even remotely familiar with the Cthulhu Mythos? I always thought it was at least popular enough that the average person would be, if nothing else, vaguely aware of its existence. This, however, has not been the case in my experience. Outside my friends and the internet, I have met very few people who even know who Lovecraft is. I am sadface:smallfrown:

waterpenguin43
2010-04-23, 08:45 AM
Supposedly there was something about it that made them at least reasonably certain it came from something living. I don't know what that something was, but that's what the Wiki says.

I think it was something alive. The noises changed around, and sounded more like moaning. It probably would have come with rushing water or something if it was geological.

Coplantor
2010-04-23, 08:56 AM
And no one noticed (or cared if they did):smalltongue:

Has anyone else ever noticed how few people are even remotely familiar with the Cthulhu Mythos? I always thought it was at least popular enough that the average person would be, if nothing else, vaguely aware of its existence. This, however, has not been the case in my experience. Outside my friends and the internet, I have met very few people who even know who Lovecraft is. I am sadface:smallfrown:

Yes, I know. I stumbled upon the Cthulhu mythos thanks to metallica back in 2003 when I was 14, since the whole internet was full of cthulhu I thought, hey, ths must be something everybody knows about. I think only two guys at my school knew about cthulhu, and those were also geeks like me.

Surprisingly, my father was well aware of the Cthulhu mythos wich I found out about two years ago.

Deth Muncher
2010-04-23, 09:55 AM
Yes, I know. I stumbled upon the Cthulhu mythos thanks to metallica back in 2003 when I was 14, since the whole internet was full of cthulhu I thought, hey, ths must be something everybody knows about. I think only two guys at my school knew about cthulhu, and those were also geeks like me.

Surprisingly, my father was well aware of the Cthulhu mythos wich I found out about two years ago.

My father was a huge Lovecraft nerd back in his teens. Now, the closest he gets to anything nerdy is occasionally watching SciFi for some TNG.

megabyter5
2010-04-23, 11:12 AM
Let's see. We have an unidentifiable phenomenom that everyone is speculating about. Many of us fear it, but just as many are curious. The suggestion has been made that it is an eldritch abomination.

Obviously, we have fallen into the exposition at the beginning of a JRPG. Here are a few things we'll have to keep in mind to make the experience more enjoyable:

Shopkeepers will have to buy anything you give to them regardless of relevance to the business, which means eBay will be totally obsolete. All communication will be limited to one phrase, to be repeated each time you are spoken to, so pick something you feel comfortable saying. A single global currency will have to be agreed on, so put all your assets into gil as soon as it becomes available. Keep any and all valuables in your inventory 24/7, or else the heroes will be expected to take them.

Keep these tips in mind, and you might even survive to see the epilogue.*

*probably not, but a little optimism never hurt anybody.

Coplantor
2010-04-23, 11:14 AM
"I like to think myself as the hero" is what coplantor would say if he had the ability to speak.