PDA

View Full Version : 4 ed: One power source

Boci
2010-03-06, 06:27 PM
If you were in a party which was only of one power source, which would it be, and what would the party make up look like?
Mine would be arcane:
1. Gensai / Assaultmage to make up for the lower damage of the warlock as a striker.
2. Tiefling / Dark pact warlock. This is just because I like that type of warlock the best.
3. Half-elf / bard. I have heard the artificer is a better leader, but I do not have access to them.
4. Eldarin / Orb wizard. Should make for a nicely balanced party.

Kylarra
2010-03-06, 06:29 PM
Martial.

Rogue, Warlord, Ranger, Fighter

The first 3 can nail anything at extreme range, the last one can deny movement.

I'd really like a psionic party, but I don't have PHB3 so I can't say.

Thajocoth
2010-03-06, 06:32 PM
I was the Rogue in a Fighter/Warlord/Rogue party. We picked up a Ranger eventually. Then a Psion...

Now though, the people I'm playing with seem to lean towards Primal & Psionic classes when they make new characters, so I'd either be the Barbarian in a Primal Party or the Ardent in a Psionic one.

Swordgleam
2010-03-06, 06:37 PM
What Kylarra said. Or an all-primal party, just for fun.

Delta
2010-03-06, 06:37 PM
I'd go Arcane, with a Swordmage, Bard, Sorcerer and Wizard I think the party should be pretty tough.

Reynard
2010-03-06, 06:45 PM
I was thinking about getting my group to do a single power party at some point.

I think Arcane would be the most...tactical. Every other power has classes capable of holding a line and taking a few hits, so I imagine that encounters for an arcane party would be very different to the others, with a lot more movement and that placement would be more important.

Martial or Primal would be over the quickest, simply because of how tough they are and how much pure damage they can deal.

Divine would probably be pretty slow in comparison, but more unstoppable, because of the healing.

oxybe
2010-03-06, 07:15 PM
Martial. even though i love the Primal source, i've clocked in more hours with martial characters to be familiar with them

Fighter- greatweapon, sword & board dwarf
Warlord- Me, archer warlord
Ranger- bow ranger
Rogue- brutal scoundrel, daggermaster

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-06, 07:32 PM
I'd go for martial.

Tactical Warlord
Defensive Fighter
Offensive Fighter
Rogue
Rogue

At least two of the group are Dragonborn.

The name of the game is melee superiority.

The warlord will, of course, be able to provide the group with huge manueverability in close quarters thanks to Wolf Pack Tactics and will, himself, be an amazingly heavy hitter by opting his Commander's Strike to the offensive fighter.

The fighters will form the group's anvil and front line, with the additional ability to dispose of minions with Sweeping Blow starting at level 3. The fighters are also to be armed with Footwork Lure to improve the group's maneuverability. For the most part, the fighters will act alike, except against tough individuals, when the Defensive fighter will tend to do the marking.

The rogues will take advantage of the maneuverability aids from the rest of the party and the fighters' Combat Superiority to have combat advantage every round.

To supplement the group's ability to fight minions, the group will have multiple dragonborn to breathe, and this shouldn't be a problem seeing as Dragonborn are relatively good choices for any of the character classes. This group might have some trouble against ranged enemies, but for the most part, I see it as being just so incredibly fast and sticky, it just has to reach an artillery monster to shut it down.

Mando Knight
2010-03-06, 07:34 PM
I think Arcane would be the most...tactical. Every other power has classes capable of holding a line and taking a few hits

Arcane has those, too. They like to call 'em the Swordmage, melee Bard and Artificer, and Dragon Sorcerer.

Optimystik
2010-03-06, 07:37 PM
Divine!* We'd all go out to smite some heathens! :smallbiggrin:

Paladin - Defender
Cleric - Leader
Avenger - Striker
Invoker - Controller

BRIMSTONE!
And of course, we'd all worship the Burning Hate :smallamused:

*may become Psionic after I get PHB3

Flickerdart
2010-03-06, 07:42 PM
Ranger, Ranger, Ranger, Ranger. Because Ranger is the best power source.

TerrickTerran
2010-03-06, 08:01 PM
Psionic and I'd play the Monk.:smallbiggrin:

greenknight
2010-03-06, 08:22 PM
Primal.

Dwarf Wildblood Warden
Longtooth Shifter Rageblood Barbarian
Deva Stalker Spirit Shaman
Elf Predator Druid

The Warden holds the enemies in place (with the shaman and spirit companion helping to prevent flanking) while the Barbarian and Druid charge around knocking out enemies. Healing could be a problem, but all party members except the Druid have a method of healing themselves at least 1/encounter, so I expect they will be ok. Ranged attackers can be charged by the Barbarian or Druid, and/or attacked at range by the Druid and Spirit Companion.

The party lacks people skills, but between them they should be able to cover any Str/Con/Dex/Int/Wis based challenge, and a single Cha based challenge should be able to be handled quite well by the Shaman thanks to Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes and Speak with Spirits.

Gralamin
2010-03-06, 08:23 PM
If you were in a party which was only of one power source, which would it be, and what would the party make up look like?
Mine would be arcane:
1. Gensai / Assaultmage to make up for the lower damage of the warlock as a striker.
2. Tiefling / Dark pact warlock. This is just because I like that type of warlock the best.
3. Half-elf / bard. I have heard the artificer is a better leader, but I do not have access to them.
4. Eldarin / Orb wizard. Should make for a nicely balanced party.

The standard party size is 5, not 4.

If I was trying to optimize, I'd use:
1. Ranger
2. Ranger
3. Ranger
4. Two-Weapon Fighter
5. Tactical Warlord
The first three destroy everything. The Two-Weapon fighter acts as a tank and a competent damage dealer on its own. The Tactical Warlord makes everyone better.

If I was to go with what I'd think would be the most fun: Divine source (All serving the same god)
1. Kalashtar Cleric - Focusing on Lasers or Pacifism
2. Warforged Paladin
3. Githzerai Avenger (Using a homebrew Avenger instead of the base one)
4. Dwarf Invoker
5. Minotaur Runepriest (Haven't seen it yet, but this sounds like a good combination).

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-06, 10:09 PM
Paladin - Defender
Cleric - Leader
Avenger - Striker
Invoker - Controller

*may become Psionic after I get PHB3

Hm... I'd ditch the controller and add add another cleric.

It comes to:

Charisma Paladin
Battle Cleric
Shielding Cleric
Pursuit Avenger

rayne_dragon
2010-03-07, 12:20 AM
I think primal might be the most fun. Playing a bunch of civilization hating tree huggers and the hilarious hijinks they have in cities would amuse me for a long time.

Party would be: Warden, Barbarian, Druid, Shaman, and Shaman/Druid

Optimystik
2010-03-07, 01:33 AM
Hm... I'd ditch the controller and add add another cleric.

I appreciate the suggestion, but Invoker is my favorite class (and most likely the role I'd be playing :smallwink:)

Shazbot79
2010-03-07, 05:02 AM
Martial.

Rogue, Warlord, Ranger, Fighter

The first 3 can nail anything at extreme range, the last one can deny movement.

I'd really like a psionic party, but I don't have PHB3 so I can't say.

Just picked mine up today *S*

Psionic classes are:
The Ardent (leader)
The Battlemind (defender...also...I...AM....FIGHTBRAIN!)
The Monk (striker)
The Psion (controller)

Leolo
2010-03-08, 10:26 AM
Shadow!

;)

5 Assassins could sneak arround and kill everything before it even notice them.

Sir Homeslice
2010-03-08, 11:02 AM
1-3.) Dex/Wis Bow Ranger, probably Elf.
4.) Str/Int Genasi Tactical Bowlord
5.) Str/Int Genasi Skirmisher Bowlord

Everyone's an Adamant Arrow with Gloves of the Ram, Bowlords are Arrowhead Commanders, Bow Rangers can be whatever they want as long as it's good.

This party becomes nothing but a kite-fest with Greatbows and Archer Captain.