PDA

View Full Version : Druid Variants?

Coy
2010-03-07, 04:30 PM
I'm currently looking for something different to the 'base' druid and had my eye on a ACF or 2 from UA - Druidic Avenger, combined with some rage feats, the second druid ACF, taking favoured enemies such as aberrations, undead etc.

Has anyone tried/seen a druid with this kind of build in action? Thematically seems fun, and you do get to keep spells (companions require too much thought anyway!). Im not that bothered with features lost, but is it a step to far (considering med BAB pregression)?

If anyone else has a different idea for a druid using a different ACF, i'm all ears.

deuxhero
2010-03-07, 04:32 PM
Most druid ACFs are lame compared to the losses (thats what you get for having special abilites more powerful than entire classes.)

mostlyharmful
2010-03-07, 04:33 PM
marked reduction in power, still flavourful and still hugely overpowered for most every campaign.

Zergrusheddie
2010-03-07, 04:39 PM
The Avenger Druid Variant makes them no longer SAD, which makes them mad. (See what I did thar?! :smallsigh:)

The Shapeshifter variant in PH2 is meant to make the Druid 'easier' because they don't have to look for different animals, but it also does an excellent job of knocking Druids down a peg or two. It's actually used at some tables to purposefully lower the power Druids have.

Companions are generally better than Fighters. A level 1 War Trained Riding Dog is likely going to slaughter a level 1 Fighter. A Fleshraker is simply unbelievable.

However, an Avenger or Shapeshifter is still a primary caster so they are not weak by any means of the imagination.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-07, 04:46 PM
If you're looking for a fluff variant, this site's own Charisma based druids (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/3CsX278ZDGQQ62al3RP.html)are interesting.

MlleRouge
2010-03-07, 08:05 PM
I'm not a huge fan of any of the druid ACFs, really :smallfrown: The druidic avenger is nice and flavorful though. I considered playing it for a concept that never got off the ground. The fast healing one is pretty cool for support, if you dislike summoning or otherwise don't mind ditching it.

I tend to agree that while the ACFs are less powerful than 'base' druid, they're still not weak at all. I kinda feel like most druid PrCs are stuck in the same place...with erm, obvious exceptions.

Is it just me, or is it odd that Complete Divine lists 'Divine Cleric' and 'Divine Ranfer' variants but not a 'Divine Druid'?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-07, 08:14 PM
'Divine Cleric' ... variants

wat

*Cough* Sorry. *What is this, it greatly confused me as I thought the whole point of the Cleric was that it was a divine caster, and that variants were supposed to change something.

Leon
2010-03-07, 08:56 PM
I'm currently looking for something different to the 'base' druid and had my eye on a ACF or 2 from UA - Druidic Avenger, combined with some rage feats, the second druid ACF, taking favoured enemies such as aberrations, undead etc.

Has anyone tried/seen a druid with this kind of build in action? Thematically seems fun, and you do get to keep spells (companions require too much thought anyway!). Im not that bothered with features lost, but is it a step to far (considering med BAB pregression)?

If anyone else has a different idea for a druid using a different ACF, i'm all ears.

Yes, it works well. I also used the Favored Enemy Variant that allows for Arcane magic users to be a selection, some flaws related to Rage (Slow to Anger & Blind Rage).
Combined with a fighting style that is a combination of Glaive and Unarmed it makes for a very different and enjoyable PC. Haven't really noticed any problems with having a Medium BAB

Shape Shift is also great as well, simplifies the hideous thing that is Wild shape into a much more efficient package
Animal companions i can take or leave - sometimes they are decent to have sometimes not.