PDA

View Full Version : Unique Outsider P.E.A.C.H

evil-frosty
2010-03-08, 12:30 AM
This really is my first attempt at homebrew so go ahead and be brutal. I really havent thought of much fluff for him yet. Uh i know i ripped the name off from somewhere but i cant remember where, so name change suggestions are welcomed. I got the idea for this when i was making a cult which focused on undead and aberrations, and so then made something that they might like to summon.

Zariel
Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar)
HD 27d8+243 (364)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares); 50ft Fly (perfect)
Init: +6
AC 36; touch 23; flat-footed 30
(+6 dex, +8 deflection, +13 Natural, -1 size)
BAB +27; Grp +39
Attack +4 Entropic Heavy Flail of Speed +44 (2d8+13 plus entropy, 19-20/x2) or Shadow Tentacle +35 Melee Touch (2d4+9 plus 2d4 Wisdom Drain, 20/x2)
Full-Attack +4 Entropic Heavy Flail of Speed +44/+44/+39/+34/+29 (2d8+13 plus entropy, 19-20/x2) or 3 Shadow Tentacles +35 Melee Touch (2d4+9 plus 2d4 wisdom drain, 20/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Aura of Decay, Engulf
Special Qualities Spell-Like Abilities, Resistance 30 Fire, Cold, Electricity, DR20/epic, Immune to Ability Damage/Drain, energy drain, Petrification, Mind-Affecting Spells, Poison, Disease, Regeneration 20, Spell Resistance 32, summon undead
Saves Fort +24 Ref +21 Will +21
Abilities Str 28, Dex 22, Con 28, Int 24, Wis 22, Cha 36
Skills Concentration +39, Spellcraft +37, Know(Arcana) +37, Know(Planes) +37, Jump +39, Spot +36, Listen +36, Hide +32, Move Silently +36, Search +36, Know(Religion) +37, Balance +36, Use Magical Device + 43, Bluff +43, Tumble+36

Feats Power Attack, Quicken SLA(Disintegrate), Ability Focus(Aura of Decay), Ability Focus(Engulf), Spell Penetration, Combat Reflexes, Cleave, Spell Stowaway(Time Stop), Improved Critical(Flail), Quicken SLA(Wall of Force)
Environment ---
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 29
Treasure Triple Standard
Alignment Neutral Evil
Advancement by Hit Dice
This tall shadowy figure clad in a black robe stands 7 feet tall. Its robe ends in black tendrils that crawl along the floor, underneath the robe it seems like something is writhing around struggling to escape. The only part of its face that is visible are its eye which glow a vile green. In its right hand it carries a flail and its hand looks like it is made up of tentacles and upon further inspection they look insubstantial as you can see the wall behind this shadowy monstrosity. The large black flail that it carries seems to stretch towards the living as if it has a mind of its own.
Zariel is a being from the Far Realms. He stands 7 feet tall and weighs close to 400 pounds of shadowy mass. His body is composed of tentacles except for his head, which is the most normal thing about him. Alien in mind and body, Zariel understands all languages though he only talks to a select few mortals. His favored weapon is his flail, which he carries with him wherever he goes.
Combat
Zariels combat strategy depends on his opponent. If his enemy is weak he will go in with his flail and just kill them. If they are tougher he will buff with his SLA’s and also try to debuff his enemy and wear them down a little. If he identifies a divine spellcaster he will try to hit them with his wisdom draining tentacles. He will also occasionally hit melee types with his tentacles. When he attacks with his tentacles they seem to come out of his off hand as if his fingers extended into them.

Aura of Decay(SU)- Zariel can repress this as a free action and vice versa, but when a living creature comes within 10 feet of him they must make a DC 25 Fortitude save or be affected. Those affected take 3d6+13 damage a round for 5 rounds and every round make another fortitude save or take 1d6 Con damage. Those who make their initial save are immune to it for 24 hours.

Engulf(EX)- As a full-round action Zariel can have the tentacles writhing underneath his robe burst out and engulf a character within his reach, if he succeeds on a grapple check against the victims grapple check the victim is engulfed into his body and his wisdom immediately drops to 1 and can only be brought back up by a restoration spell inside a hallowed area. Zariel can only have one creature in his body at a time. He may choose to spit out a creature he has engulfed. This is a standard action and he cant engulf another creature for 1d4 rounds. A creature who is spat out is covered in a gooey slime that when touched by a creature forces a DC26 Fortitude save which if failed drains 1d6 wisdom.

Entropy- This property on his flail disintegrates a small part of the body when it hits a creature if said creature fails a DC 25 Fortitude save. If the creature fails its save it takes an extra 7d6+7 damage and the creatures dex and str are reduced by 1d4+2.

Summon Undead- 3/day Zariel can summon either 1d6 Angels of Decay, or 2d6+2 Entropic Reapers.

Regeneration(Ex)- Every round Zariel regenerates 20 hit points back, Zariel cant regenerate back acid damage.

Spell-Like Abilities- Caster Level 20th, At will Teleport, Fire Shield, Greater Mage Armor, Mirror Image, Wall of Force. 3/day Disintegrate, Enveration, Magic Jar, Prismatic Wall, Reverse Gravity, Bestow Curse Greater, Ray of Entropy, Prismatic Eye, Wall of Greater Dispel Magic, Time Stop, Prismatic Sphere, Gate.

arguskos
2010-03-08, 01:04 AM
Zariel was the Duke of Avernus prior to Bel. She was deposed by him, and now languishes under his citadel, as he siphons power from her. :smallwink:

evil-frosty
2010-03-08, 01:26 AM
I ran a search for the name in the Fiendish Codex 2 but nothing came up, weird.

Ezren
2010-03-08, 05:46 AM
I ran a search for the name in the Fiendish Codex 2 but nothing came up, weird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckoning_of_Hell

it tells you all about it here ^^

Eldan
2010-03-08, 06:45 AM
She most likely wasn't in the FCII. That book covered the broad politics, but in the history of DnD there were numerous references to smaller named infernal nobles, not all of which can really be covered in one book. She's most likely mentioned in Planescape a few times.

evil-frosty
2010-03-08, 07:03 AM
Alright, I guess i will have to find another name. But does anyone actually have anything to say about the crunch of him?

arguskos
2010-03-08, 11:53 AM
She most likely wasn't in the FCII. That book covered the broad politics, but in the history of DnD there were numerous references to smaller named infernal nobles, not all of which can really be covered in one book. She's most likely mentioned in Planescape a few times.
Actually, she was mentioned in Bel's entry a few times, just by way of "lol Bel betrayed her and so his standing in Hell is precarious at best".

As for the mechanics of this creature... at the levels you're playing at, they're just going to die. They aren't immune or even highly resistant to damage, they're not immune to ability drain, it doesn't have a great touch AC, it doesn't deal that much damage (not as huge a deal honestly), and their SLAs aren't enough to keep up with really scary enemies... like PCs.

Also, what defeats it's Regeneration? It's not listed. And, DR is no longer measured by +3 or whatever, it'd be more appropriate to make it DR 20/epic.

Debihuman
2010-03-08, 12:39 PM
First, it's not necessary to put your monster in a spoiler. Second is this 3.0 or 3.5? Third, use some paragraph spacing and some formatting to make it easier to read

DR 20/+3 is a holdover from 3.0. In 3.5 it would be DR 20/magic or DR 20/epic.

What is a shadow tentacle? If it is a natural attack it doesn't get additional attacks based on BAB. If it has more than one tentacle you list them all with the same BAB. 4 tentacles + X melee. Are the tentacles a primary weapon or a secondary weapon? It can have a weapon and natural attacks that are both primary or the tentacles can be secondary. It's your choice. If the tentacles are always secondary attacks, you need to state it somewhere.

Under full attack it looks like it should be: or 4 Shadow Tentacles +35 Melee Touch (2d4+9 plus 2d4 wisdom drain, 20/x2)

If he's engulfing his victims, does this imply that he eats them or does he only spit them out. Outsiders don't need to eat or breathe. In actuality, this sounds more like an Aberration with the extraplanar subtype than an outsider. Why does he have the ability to summon undead?

Feats should go on a separate line.

Debby

Eldan
2010-03-08, 01:53 PM
I'd definitely change DR to /epic. Probably epic and a material, though neutral evil doesn't seem to get a special weakness. Even if it was 3.0, +3 would be too low for these levels, probably.

evil-frosty
2010-03-08, 03:18 PM
First, it's not necessary to put your monster in a spoiler. Second is this 3.0 or 3.5? Third, use some paragraph spacing and some formatting to make it easier to read

DR 20/+3 is a holdover from 3.0. In 3.5 it would be DR 20/magic or DR 20/epic.

What is a shadow tentacle? If it is a natural attack it doesn't get additional attacks based on BAB. If it has more than one tentacle you list them all with the same BAB. 4 tentacles + X melee. Are the tentacles a primary weapon or a secondary weapon? It can have a weapon and natural attacks that are both primary or the tentacles can be secondary. It's your choice. If the tentacles are always secondary attacks, you need to state it somewhere.

Under full attack it looks like it should be: or 4 Shadow Tentacles +35 Melee Touch (2d4+9 plus 2d4 wisdom drain, 20/x2)

If he's engulfing his victims, does this imply that he eats them or does he only spit them out. Outsiders don't need to eat or breathe. In actuality, this sounds more like an Aberration with the extraplanar subtype than an outsider. Why does he have the ability to summon undead?

Feats should go on a separate line.

Debby

This is 3.5, sorry. And when i copied/pasted it it got screwy so i didnt even realize that. And i put its DR the way i did b/c the way my group plays we use a lot of 2nd edition rules and thats where that came from, thats just a slip up on my part.

I forgot about natural attacks not getting iteratives(that never made a lot of sense to me) and its a primary attack that he can use instead of his flail. On his engulf ability its him drawing the creatuer into his body and then spitting it out after the damage is done. He doesnt eat the creatuer at all.

It has the ability to summon undead because the cult i made around him has a lot to do with undead and aberrations so i tried to make him like both. Guess i didnt do that so well.

So what do you guys think i need to change to make him a challenging fight? And should i change the type around a little, if so what, just aberration with extraplanar?

evil-frosty
2010-03-11, 07:16 PM
Bump

My question still stands what changes can i make to make him a challenging monster?