PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best magic traps

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-10, 01:52 AM
The rules for crafting magical traps are disturbingly simple and are part of the establishment of a Tippyverse. This goes without saying. Out of morbid curiosity and not a little boredom, I began to consider which spells might best serve as 'traps'. Create food/water is a staple, as is the cure light wounds trap. Temporary buffs might include the common mage armor, shield, mirror image and so on. All those quintessential buffs.

One that stood out particularly to me was heroics. I immediately pictured such a trap at defense points in a kobold lair such that many kobolds would pass over it, gaining a bonus fighter feat... specifically Martial Study. This makes the dungeon quite a bit more dangerous but also quite a bit more valuable should the PCs capture it.

What sort of non-trap traps would you include?

obnoxious
sig

Eldariel
2010-03-10, 02:30 AM
...Polymorph. Healing and whatever-the-heck-you-want. Also, Repair Light Damage is nice, and you prolly want Restoration and Positive Energy Aura.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-10, 03:41 AM
...Polymorph. Healing and whatever-the-heck-you-want. Also, Repair Light Damage is nice, and you prolly want Restoration and Positive Energy Aura.

Mmmmyep. Go for anything in the Tippyverse style of trap: Healing, food creation (or any kind of creation, really), water creation, whatever.

Koury
2010-03-10, 03:44 AM
True Strike? Wraithstrike? False Life? Things like that. Most any round/level spell, really.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-10, 03:56 AM
Invisibility trap, lets you prepare an ambush real easily.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-10, 10:03 AM
Does truestrike work as a trap? Wouldn't the "you" in that case be the trap itself? I figured a trap would have to be things with a range of anything but 'personal'.

But an archer's tower with truestrike traps sounds fun, especially if used as a DM and stormed by the players. "Wait, these guys who were rolling 35 to hit died from 12 damage?"

obnoxious
sig

Melamoto
2010-03-10, 05:01 PM
Any spell which creates and fires an object, positioned just behind a Polymorph any Object trap, set to turn any object into a Tarrasque. Not certain if this would work though; haven't looked for an appropriate creation spell or for the rules about PaO. But if it does, then you have a 1 Tarrasque/round attack.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-10, 05:08 PM
I like the occasional Glitterdust trap followed by any creature with Blindsight. If done properly, you can decieve your party into attacking themselves.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-10, 05:19 PM
Any spell which creates and fires an object, positioned just behind a Polymorph any Object trap, set to turn any object into a Tarrasque. Not certain if this would work though; haven't looked for an appropriate creation spell or for the rules about PaO. But if it does, then you have a 1 Tarrasque/round attack.

I don't think you can PaO things into the Tarrasque though. PaO says that it functions like polymorph and doesn't make any mention of changing the hit die limit.

I still like the idea of a polymorph any object trap though. :smallbiggrin:

obnoxious
sig