PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted, Celestial Martial Art, WIP] Glamorous Warrior Style

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-12, 03:28 PM
Glamorous Warrior Style

This is a work in progress, intended to mimic magical girl style powers. Glamorous Warrior Style has no elemental association and does not allow armor, and its form weapon is the baton (a variant of the club) and the artifact version, the sceptre (Spd 4/Acc +2/Dmg +6B/Def +2/Rate 3).

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/th_PrettySoldierStyle-5.png (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/PrettySoldierStyle-5.png)

New Keyword:
Glamorous Warrior Only: Charms with this keyword may only be activated while Glamorous Warrior Form is active.

Glamorous Warrior Form
Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 1, Essence 1; Type: Simple (Speed 6, DV-0)
Keywords: Form-type, Illusion, Obvious
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: None

The Glamorous Warrior transforms, masking her identity from most who gaze upon her and granting her some measure of physical protection. This Charm provides the following benefits:
The Glamorous Warrior's lethal soak is set equal to her Stamina.
The Glamorous Warrior becomes unrecognizable as herself as an Illusion effect, which can be permanently overcome by spending 2 Willpower. People can recognize the Illusion, which stays consistent every time it is activated, but they will never connect the Glamorous Warrior with this Charm active with the Glamorous Warrior without it.
The Glamorous Warrior gains the ability to use Glamorous Warrior Only Charms while this form is active.

This Charm automatically confers additional benefits as the Glamorous Warrior rises in Essence. At Essence 2, the Speed of the Charm decreases to 4. At Essence 3, the Pretty Solider gains the ability to send her form weapon to Elsewhere by committing 1m and taking a Speed 3 miscellaneous action; the next time she activates Glamorous Warrior Form, she can draw her weapon directly from Elsewhere as part of the same action. At Essence 4, the Glamorous Warrior's Peripheral mote pool expands by 5m, and again at Essence 5.

Aspect Focus Method
Cost: --; Mins: Martial Arts 1, Essence 1; Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Glamorous Warrior Form

This Charm is actually a collection of Charms, each allowing the Glamorous Warrior to align her essence with a specific aspect of Creation. This permanently harmonizes her essence with that element, allowing her to use Charms aspected to the appropriate element without paying a mote surcharge. This Charm can only be learned once.
Air: The range of Ascent to the Pulpit, Sceptre Throwing Kata, Sceptre Essence Pulse and Overwhelming Sceptre Blast increases by 50%.
Earth: The damage from Sceptre Essence Pulse and Overwhelming Sceptre Blast increases by (Essence) dice.
Fire: Opponents damaged by Sceptre Essence Pulse or Overwhelming Sceptre Blast take 2 dice of lethal damage per tick for the next (Essence) ticks.
Water: Opponents damaged by Sceptre Essence Pulse or Overwhelming Sceptre Blast suffer a -1 internal penalty on attack rolls for their next (Essence) actions.
Wood: Opponents damaged by Sceptre Essence Pulse or Overwhelming Sceptre Blast are exposed to a poison with the following statistics: Damage (Glamorous Warrior's Martial Arts)/action, Toxicity (Glamorous Warrior's Essence), Tolerance -/-, Penalty -1.
Abyssal: Opponents damaged by Sceptre Essence Pulse and Overwhelming Sceptre Blast are drained of (Essence) motes.
Lunar: The Glamorous Warrior ignores up to (Essence) multiple action penalties while the Form Charm is active.
Solar: Sceptre Essence Pulse and Overwhelming Sceptre Blast gain the Holy keyword, dealing aggravated damage to creatures of darkness.
This is not a complete list of possible aspects, but they are the most common.

Glamorous Warrior Weapon
Cost: --; Mins: Martial Arts 1, Essence 1; Type: Permanent

Glamorous Warriors are a varied group, and, as soldiers, use a wide variety of weapons. Learning this Charm allows the Glamorous Warrior to select one additional weapon (and its artifact counterpart) to use as a form weapon for this style.

Glamorous Warrior Declamation
Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Simple (Speed 6, DV -0)
Keywords: Combo-Basic, Glamorous Warrior Only
Duration: One scene

Taking up the stance of declamation, the Glamorous Warrior castigates her enemy and charges herself with magical power. This Charm is effective against any group of enemies small enough to be targeted by a Presence-based social attack. For the duration of the scene, the Glamorous Warrior's unarmed damage against those enemies increases by (her Essence) dice.

Ascent to the Pulpit
Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 2; Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Glamorous Warrior Only
Duration: (Essence) actions
Prerequisite Charms: Glamorous Warrior Declamation

This Charm is an essence-powered leap from the ground to an elevated position no more than 10 yards up from where she stands at the time of activation. The Glamorous Warrior cannot fall from her lofty perch so long as she does not attempt to move. Deliberate attempts to knock her from her position against her will fail automatically if not backed by magic, and suffer an external penalty equal to the Glamorous Warrior's Martial Arts even if they are. Should it be an unrolled attack, roll the attacker's Essence against the Glamorous Warrior's Martial Arts.

This Charm can also be used to descend from the heights it was used to reach, but it provides her with no protection against being moved against her will while she is on solid ground.

Sceptre Throwing Kata
Cost: 3m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1; Type: Simple (Speed 5, DV -1)
Duration: Instant

The Glamorous Warrior hurls her baton or sceptre at her enemy, making a Martial Arts-based attack against an enemy up to 10 yards away. Her weapon then returns to her hand. This charm cannot be used while the Glamorous Warrior is unarmed.

Sceptre Essence Pulse
Cost: -- (+2m); Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 2; Type: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Sceptre Throwing Method

Channeling her essence through her sceptre, the Glamorous Warrior unleashes a blast of energy. This charm upgrades Sceptre Throwing Kata, allowing her to spend 2 extra motes so that instead of physically throwing her weapon, she launches a bolt of energy from it, which allows the Charm to be used without a weapon in hand and adds the Obvious keyword. When this Charm is used, the attack deals lethal damage.

Overwhelming Sceptre Blast
Cost: -- (+1wp); Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Ascent to the Pulpit, Sceptre Essence Pulse

This Charm upgrades Sceptre Essence Pulse. When using Sceptre Essence Pulse, the Glamorous Warrior can spend 1wp, improving the attack in the following ways:
The range of the attack increases to (Essence x 10 yards).
The attack ignores cover, including shields.
The attack cannot be blocked or dodged without stunts or Charms.
The attack deals lethal damage and the base damage increases by half the Glamorous Warrior's (Martial Arts + Willpower).

Friendship is Power
Cost: --; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3, Compassion 3; Type: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Overwhelming Sceptre Blast

The friends of the Glamorous Warrior are the root of her power; without friends, she is weakened and vulnerable, but with them, she is a force to be reckoned with. The Glamorous Warrior increases her DVs, Dodge MDV, and bashing and lethal soak by her Compassion; for each Intimacy slot that is occupied by a positive Intimacy to a person who possesses a reciprocal positive Intimacy to her, the Glamorous Warrior gains a free Compassion channel - that is, a Compassion channel that does not require Willpower to activate.

Whenever the Glamorous Warrior stunts and channels Compassion on the same roll, she regains 1 additional mote.

A Glamorous Warrior who learns this Charm cannot learn Solitude Is Strength unless she trades in this Charm, as well as Glamorous Warrior Teamwork Technique and Defeat Means Friendship Method (if she knows them). If she does so, she is refunded the XP she spent on them, and can immediately learn Solitude is Strength, Inescapable Destruction Technique, and Demoralized Loser Revelation Strike, provided she meets the prerequisites.

Glamorous Warrior Teamwork Technique
Cost: --; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 4, Compassion 3; Type: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Friendship is Power

This Charm upgrades Sceptre Essence Pulse and Overwhelming Essence Blast, granting them a special version of the Cooperative keyword. When multiple Glamorous Warriors are in close proximity, they can harmonize their powers to produce a more powerful attack. One Glamorous Warrior is chosen as the focus of the effect, determining the attack pool. For each participant in addition to the focus, the accuracy of the attack increases by 1, and the damage of the attack increases by (Martial Arts) dice. Apply benefits from various purchases of Aspect Focus Method only once per element or aspect.

Defeat Means Friendship Method
Cost: 5m, 1 Compassion channel (+1wp); Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 5, Compassion 3; Type: Reflexive (Step 10, attacker only)
Keywords: Combo-OK, Emotion, Glamorous Warrior Only
Prerequisite Charms: Glamorous Warrior Teamwork Technique

Those defeated by the might of the Glamorous Warrior accept her strength, and the love from which it springs. This Charm may be activated whenever one of the Glamorous Warrior's attacks would fill an enemy's Incapacitated health level; instead, the enemy takes damage until it has only its Incapacitated (and Dying) health levels left unfilled, and the total damage successes are applied as a social attack (as if the enemy's MDVs had already been overcome), eroding any negative Intimacy the enemy has toward the Glamorous Warrior, and replacing it with a positive Intimacy. This also creates a reciprocal positive Intimacy in the Glamorous Warrior, assuming she does not already possess such.

By spending an additional point of Willpower, this Charm may be activated reflexively on a turn in which the Glamorous Warrior has already activated another Charm even if she has not put it in a combo with that Charm.

Solitude is Strength
Cost: --; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 3, Conviction 3; Type: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Overwhelming Sceptre Blast

The Glamorous Warrior has no need for friends; reliance on friends and pretty ideals only creates weakness when they aren't there or are shown to be false. Better to be strong, alone, and to face the world in all its ugliness. The Glamorous Warrior adds her Conviction to her attack pools with unarmed attacks and Charms from this style, and she gains a number of free Conviction channels equal to the number of her Intimacy slots that are not occupied by a positive Intimacy minus her Compassion.

Whenever the Glamorous Warrior stunts and channels Conviction on the same roll, she regains 1 additional mote.

A Glamorous Warrior who learns this Charm cannot learn Friendship is Power unless she trades in this Charm, as well as Inescapable Destruction Technique and Demoralized Loser Revelation Strike (if she knows them). If she does so, she is refunded the XP she spent on them, and can immediately learn Friendship is Power, Glamorous Warrior Teamwork Technique, and Defeat Means Friendship Method, provided she meets the prerequisites.

Inescapable Destruction Technique
Cost: -- (+5m); Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 4, Conviction 3; Type: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Solitude is Strength

The Dark Glamorous Warrior cares only for her enemies' destruction, giving the potential for collateral damage not a thought. This Charm upgrades Overwhelming Sceptre Blast. When using Overwhelming Sceptre Blast, the Glamorous Warrior can spend 5m, improving the attack in the following ways:
The attack covers an area (Essence) yards wide and (Essence x 10) yards long, and deals damage to everyone within that area.
The attack can no longer be blocked or dodged with stunts; only Charms or similar defensive magic will suffice.
The base damage of the attack increases by the Glamorous Warrior's (Martial Arts + Willpower), rather than by half that amount.

Demoralized Loser Revelation Strike
Cost: 5m, 1 Conviction channel (+1wp); Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 5, Conviction 3; Type: Reflexive (Step 10)
Prerequisite Charms: Inescapable Destruction Technique

Those who fall before the Glamorous Warrior accept her power, and realize that their own delusions contributed to their defeat. This Charm may be activated whenever one of the Glamorous Warrior's attacks would fill an enemy's Incapacitated health level; instead, the enemy takes damage until it has only its Incapacitated (and Dying) health levels left unfilled, and the total damage successes are applied as a social attack (as if the enemy's MDVs had already been overcome), eroding any positive Intimacy the enemy has and replacing it with a negative Intimacy toward the same subject.

By spending an additional point of Willpower, this Charm may be activated reflexively on a turn in which the Glamorous Warrior has already activated another Charm even if she has not put it in a combo with that Charm.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-13, 06:03 PM
I have received conflicting opinions regarding this style on other fora. It started out as a TMA, but some people thought it was too powerful. Now some other people think it's too weak to be CMA. And now I am confused.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-16, 12:54 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi ligamentem
I came, I saw, I bumped the thread

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-18, 01:03 PM
Bumping for comments (again). :smallannoyed:

Arcanoi
2010-03-18, 01:28 PM
Name - Sort of lame. I suggest something more Exalted-y. Like Glamorous Warrior of Many Faces Style.

Theme - It... doesn't feel like it has one. It seems to be a series of loosely connected charms with no real basis on each other.

Form Charm - First dot should read "The Martial Art's natural Lethal Soak is raised to her Stamina." Also, buying it again? That's pretty brutal for the minimalist effects each purchase gives. Either make it upgrade automatically, or extend it with one charm that upgrades automatically.

Ascent to the Pulpit - I can't fathom a possible use for this charm. It seems entirely situational and severely limited. I'd suggest something Along the lines of 'Unshakable Fortress of Belief Prana' which gives the same knockback resistance for an entire scene or some such thing.

Friendship is Power - Friendship is Overpowered, morelike. A Compassion 5 Martial Artist could get up to 12 positive intimacies at CharGen without working particularly hard, which results in a bonus to PDV, DDV, MDV, and Soaks of 17!

Defeat is Friendship Method - Seems rather pitiful for an Apex Charm. Consider allowing the Martial Artist to make a reflexive Charisma-based Social attack (Which also gains the bonuses from the Compassion Channel) that the bonus dice supplement as Successes instead.

Spiteful Death Throes Method - I've never been much for planning-for-your-own-defeat charms, but this one just seems... bad.

Demoralized Loser Revelation - Same lameness for an Apex Charm.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-18, 03:07 PM
Name - Sort of lame. I suggest something more Exalted-y. Like Glamorous Warrior of Many Faces Style.

I'll consider it.

Theme - It... doesn't feel like it has one. It seems to be a series of loosely connected charms with no real basis on each other.

It's a magical girl-themed martial art. It emulates the powers of the magical girl genre (specifically, the magical warrior subgenre).

Form Charm - First dot should read "The Martial Art's natural Lethal Soak is raised to her Stamina." Also, buying it again? That's pretty brutal for the minimalist effects each purchase gives. Either make it upgrade automatically, or extend it with one charm that upgrades automatically.

That makes sense. It will be done.

Ascent to the Pulpit - I can't fathom a possible use for this charm. It seems entirely situational and severely limited. I'd suggest something Along the lines of 'Unshakable Fortress of Belief Prana' which gives the same knockback resistance for an entire scene or some such thing.

The use when it was suggested to me was to allow perching on telephone poles and other high places.

Friendship is Power - Friendship is Overpowered, morelike. A Compassion 5 Martial Artist could get up to 12 positive intimacies at CharGen without working particularly hard, which results in a bonus to PDV, DDV, MDV, and Soaks of 17!

You're misreading the charm - although I can see how you made the mistake. I'll edit to make its real function more clear.

Defeat is Friendship Method - Seems rather pitiful for an Apex Charm. Consider allowing the Martial Artist to make a reflexive Charisma-based Social attack (Which also gains the bonuses from the Compassion Channel) that the bonus dice supplement as Successes instead.

Demoralized Loser Revelation - Same lameness for an Apex Charm.

You have to look at it through the lens of the magical girl genre. The pinnacle is split into two paths, one for traditional Magical Girls, and the other for Dark Magical Girls. Their pinnacles directly oppose each other and help strike at the roots of the other's strength, and sows the seeds for the other to become like them.

Spiteful Death Throes Method - I've never been much for planning-for-your-own-defeat charms, but this one just seems... bad.

I'm not too happy with it either, so I'm open to suggestions on what to replace it with.

finalepic
2010-03-18, 03:21 PM
I can't offer anything balance-wise, as I only know the basics of Exalted. I would like to say that this amuses me greatly, though. It's everything I can do not to drop everything and stat out Nanoha.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-18, 03:22 PM
@Name Suggestion: Sublime Soldier of Salvations Sentiment

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-18, 03:57 PM
@Name Suggestion: Sublime Soldier of Salvations Sentiment

I prefer the suggestion offered by DCGFTW (Henceforth referred to as Alphabet Soup): Glamorous Warrior Style. I don't think style names have to be very fancy; I mean, look at Water Dragon Style. That's pretty basic.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-03-22, 12:46 AM

Lord Iames Osari
2010-04-03, 12:46 PM

Still looking for something to replace Spiteful Death Throes Technique.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-04-18, 07:34 PM
Finally replaced Spiteful Throes. Take a gander at the new Inescapable Destruction Technique.

The Bushranger
2010-04-18, 07:39 PM
I acutally prefered the former. :smalltongue: But it's not bad a'tall.