PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 PrC) The Villain

Morth
2010-03-12, 06:55 PM
The Villain

"You and your kind, all you care about is money. This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I'm gonna give it to them! "
-The Joker, Master Villain

Requirements:
Alignment: Any Evil. A villain must be a paragon of evil.
Feats: Force of Personality; Leadership
Skills: Knowledge (Local): 4 ranks
Other: Must be active in the underworld of the area

HD: d6

The Villain
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Maniacal Laughter; Monologue I; Inevitable Loss

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Villainous Leadership; Special Ability

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Monologue II; Refreshing Taste of Fear

4th|
+3|
+2|
+4|
+4|Wicked Glee; Special Ability

5th|
+3|
+2|
+4|
+4|Master of Evil; Rob of Hope; Monologue III[/table]

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: The Villain gains no additional proficiency.

Maniacal Laughter (Ex): You have the ability to let out a laugh that instills fear in all listeners. You may do this a number of times a day equal to your levels in Villain. All enemies able to hear in 30 feet must make a will save against fear or be shaken. (DC= 10+Villain level+Charisma modifier)

Monologue (Ex): You have the best plans and the need to share them with everyone, even the unfortunate hero up against you. You must start every fight with a monologue, this takes 10 rounds, and during those rounds no one in sight of you can move. After you are done with your monologue, you gains a bonus to your armor class equal to your Intelligence modifier that lasts until the end of the encounter. At level 3, this ability improves, letting you add your Intelligence modifier to your damage rolls. At level 5, you gain the ability to make a monologue last only 5 rounds, and may add your intelligence modifier to your attack rolls after performing a monologue.

Inevitable Loss (Ex): You have an uncanny ability to, while being more powerful then your target, overestimate yourself and end up losing almost every time. If you would kill an opponent, the attack or effect instead deals non-lethal damage to the target. Also, you feel an unsatisfiable urge to leave the room when someone has been set up helplessly in a death trap, and therefore must do so.

Villainous Leadership (Ex): You draw thugs near and far to rally under you not only by your charismatic properties, but your undeniable intelligence. You may add your Intelligence modifier to your leadership score in addition to your charisma modifier.

Special Abilities: Villains, while similar, are normally very different then one another, and sport different talents. At levels 2 and 4, a villain may choose an ability from the following list, or may gain a bonus feat that he meets the prerequisites for.

Villain of Many Skills: Your Villain levels and your levels from a class of your choice stack for any class abilities your chosen class has other then spellcasting.

Maniacal Magic: Every level in Villain is considered to have the "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" retroactively.

Up Close and Underhanded: The Villain is considered to have a retroactive full base attack bonus. The Villain also gains proficiency with all non-exotic armors and weapons, and with one exotic weapon of her choice.

Fatal Attraction: You take no leadership penalty for dying cohorts.

"I bid you all... adieu!": You may cast Teleport once a day as long as you are not in total sight of any hostile targets.

Svelte Handsome Mastermind: You gain a bonus to Charisma based skills equal to your Intelligence modifier while dealing with the opposite sex.

Conflicting Ideals: Any good character purposefully attacking you who has met you before must make a Will Save to hit or target you. (DC= 10+1/2 Villain Level+Charisma Modifier)

Evil Never Dies: If the Villain would die, she can make a Charisma check with a DC equal to the number of hit points below 0 she has. If the Villain succeeds, she is stabilized at -9.

Ratings Stunt: The Villain may disable his Inevitable Loss for one round for each 10 hit points he spends.

Bittersweet Gambit: A Villain may make a grapple check to an adjacent target other then the attacker, substituting Intelligence for Strength as an immediate action when an attack is declared on her and she is below half of his hit points. If she succeeds, both the Villain and the grappled target take the full hit of the attack. No attack roll is made.

Master of Puppets: A Villain may make an opposed leadership check (d20+Leadership Score) to take control of an opposing cohort. The cohort is now the Villain's alignment and is now under his control. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Refreshing Taste of Fear (Ex): A Villain never wants to grow repetitive, so he knows how to change his arsenal often to make fights interesting. At level 3, the Villain may choose a different special ability every day at dawn. This replaces one you have of your choice.

Wicked Glee (Ex): A Villain takes joy in the finer things... torture... sadism... destruction. When a Villain deals damage or destroys an object, she gains temporary hit points equal to his Villain levels plus his Intelligence or Charisma Modifier.

Rob of Hope (Ex): A Villain may deal a true and blue killing blow once a day, and it robs all onlookers of hope. If the Villain is confronted with a target who is prone, dying, or shaken, the Villain may make a coup de grace. All onlookers must make a will save or take a -5 morale penalty to all rolls for the rest of the day. This ability isn't affected by Inevitable Loss. (DC= 10+Villain Level+Charisma Modifier)

Master of Evil (Ex): The Villain has reached the pinnacle of evil, become widely known for your infamy. The Villain may add his negative reputation as a bonus to her leadership score. Also, the Villain gains his own base of operations in the city of his choosing.

I'd love input on balance, and also more ability ideas to add.

sreservoir
2010-03-12, 08:23 PM
Would VoMS and MM stack to double up on spellcasting?

Morth
2010-03-12, 08:30 PM
Would VoMS and MM stack to double up on spellcasting?

Not intentionally. The idea is that VoMS works like the Monk Abilities class feature for a class of your choice, while MM works as written.

Creed
2010-03-12, 08:34 PM
this is *sniff* beautiful
do you mind if i use this for my campaign?

Morth
2010-03-12, 08:36 PM
this is *sniff* beautiful
do you mind if i use this for my campaign?

Not at all. That is why I do this kind of thing.

To all: Still need more "Special Abilities".

sreservoir
2010-03-12, 08:36 PM
arbitrary spellcaster 7/villain 5 can then get 9th level spells at character level 12. Yes, quicker ninths are possible, but not this straightforward.

Morth
2010-03-12, 08:39 PM
arbitrary spellcaster 7/villain 5 can then get 9th level spells at character level 12. Yes, quicker ninths are possible, but not this straightforward.

Not familiar with Arbitrary Spellcaster. What exactly does this?

Zexion
2010-03-12, 08:48 PM
Really cool idea here. For the special abilities, just look on TVTropes.

Morth
2010-03-12, 09:27 PM
Really cool idea here. For the special abilities, just look on TVTropes.

Thanks, added a bunch.

Edit: I may now want to do a Hero class based on the generic hero...

sreservoir
2010-03-13, 07:43 PM
Not familiar with Arbitrary Spellcaster. What exactly does this?

I meant, any full-casting class.

Zexion
2010-03-13, 07:48 PM
You are welcome.

Ranos
2010-03-13, 08:03 PM
Also, you feel an unsatisfiable urge to leave the room when someone is facing certain doom, and therefore must do so.
That should probably be clarified somehow. I mean, at this point, a level 1 kobold commoner autowins against the villain, by virtue of facing certain doom the moment they come face to face.

Morth
2010-03-13, 08:05 PM
That should probably be clarified somehow. I mean, at this point, a level 1 kobold commoner autowins against the villain, by virtue of facing certain doom the moment they come face to face.

This is to simulate the Dr. Evil thing where he sets the trap and leaves the room.

Ryuuk
2010-03-13, 08:11 PM
Maybe something along the lines of "a villain must leave the room when his opponent is either unconscious and/or helpess and he has minions / natural hazards / traps that will surely finish the job. In addition, if he meets an the same opponent he left in such a position again, the villain cannot act in the surprise round."

Squark
2010-03-14, 05:23 PM
I meant, any full-casting class.

No, because unless an ability like the villain spellcasting one says you can pick it twice, you can't pick it twice.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-14, 05:31 PM
Monologue (Ex): You have the best plans and the need to share them with everyone, even the unfortunate hero up against you. You must start every fight with a monologue, this takes 10 rounds, and during those rounds no one in sight of you can move. After you are done with your monologue, you gains a bonus to your armor class equal to your Intelligence modifier that lasts until the end of the encounter. This is only usable once a day per odd level in Villain. At level 3, this ability improves, letting you add your Intelligence modifier to your damage rolls. At level 5, you gain the ability to make a monologue last only 5 rounds, and may add your intelligence modifier to your attack rolls after performing a monologue.

The wording here needs work. It first says that you must start a fight with this ability and then says later that you can use it a certain number of times per a day. (Incidentally "You gains" should probably be "You gain"). Maybe you meant "You may gain"?)

Your Villain levels and your levels from a class you your choice stack

Pretty sure "you" should be "of".

sreservoir
2010-03-14, 06:59 PM
No, because unless an ability like the villain spellcasting one says you can pick it twice, you can't pick it twice.

but it's not picking the same ability twice; it's picking villain of many skills once and maniacal magic once. spellcasting, iirc, is a class ability.

Lix Lorn
2010-03-19, 05:07 AM
Maybe have some abiulities-such as Villain Of Many Skills, purely because of how strong it is-cost both abilities?

Also, something entitled Puppetmaster. Any Cohort or high level NPC has a somethin% chance of working for him.

Mordos
2011-02-14, 11:31 PM
Ack! the epicness has melted my brain! :smalleek:

seriously awesome :smallbiggrin:

Hawk7915
2011-02-15, 12:57 AM
Terrific class; bookmarked for future use as a major NPC. Ideas for special abilities...

- It'd be nice to see a special ability that grants massive bonuses to poison use since it's such a villainous trope.

- I'd like to see a special ability that gives villains a bit more toughness, for the Bane/Kingpin style crime lords. Retroactively make hit die into D10s and gain a small but not entirely meaningless amount of DR?

Land Outcast
2011-02-15, 02:10 AM
Oh my...

It is beautiful... cannot... judge...

Sorry, but it's too awesome, I can't judge anything about it beyond its awesomeness.

Venardhi
2011-02-15, 04:58 AM
I used something similar to monologue with a villain once. It was essentially a moralizing/demoralizing spell that he cast while taunting the heroes behind his forces. The longer he was able to continue it without being attacked, the stronger his forces grew and the weaker the heroes became. I didn't ever make stats for it, it was mostly just a flavor thing since the campaign was being played mostly for laughs.

Great idea for a fun PrC. May I suggest "Distinguishing facial hair, scar or eyepatch" be added to the list of requirements?

PAZelos
2011-02-15, 08:40 AM
May I suggest "Distinguishing facial hair, scar or eyepatch" be added to the list of requirements?

I loled :smallbiggrin:

Either requirement, or as a special ability that gives bonuses depending on which one is used - Intimidate bonus for the eyepatch and bluff for a goatee, bonus to saving throws for an extreme hairstyle :smallwink:

nhbdy
2011-02-15, 12:17 PM
... I LOVE THIS!!!!

in all seriousness this is a very well designed PrC, it has plenty of power, but isn't inherently broken unless someone makes it broken, full of flavor and utility, and it fits! I would use this in my next D&D game as the BBEG or if it is an evil game offer it to a talented player...