PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress d20

Raenir Salazar
2010-03-13, 12:06 AM
How feasible would it be to make a d20 variant for Dwarf Fortress, where basically your the DM and you have a bunch of players and the players goal is to build a Dwarven stronghold in the mountains somewhere? With the ability to mine, trade, etc and level up by fighting neighbouring roving bands of goblins (or elves) while the DM sadistically causes things to go wrong in Dwarf Fortress fashion? (Losing is fun!)

So far I'm looking for 'The Complete Book of Dwarves' which while 2nd edition if I recall HAS a huge store of information on mining, dwarven social stuff, farming, etc which I'ld just need to convert.

druid91
2010-03-13, 12:17 AM
There is races of stone. that has dwarves, gnomes, and goliaths. though if your going for a dwarf fortess theme you should probably just make up rules for the various gizmos that the dwarves have in dwarf fortress. Remember that D&D dwarves have acess to magic though so it will be a lot harder to have FUNtm. Also keep in mind that while cpu dwarves will wall themselves in, get eaten by goblins because of entrance dancing, and rush headlong into a dragon for a !!-pig tail sock-!!, Players are a bit smarter about that sort of thing. Also you would need to make or find a mechanic for madness in your fort.

DracoDei
2010-03-13, 01:35 AM
I suggest a "No Magic" variant... with appropriate reduction/removal of DRs that involve magic (including aligned stuff). Going to want some method of mapping out geology probably... The Stronghold Builder's Guide might be good too...

Eerie
2010-03-13, 05:10 AM
Also you would need to make or find a mechanic for madness in your fort.

Call of Cthulhu provides great mechanic for madness, Sanity rolls. Only instead of Mythos, your dwarves roll Sanity on more ordinary stuff like seeing their friends die or not getting enough resources to complete their masterpieces...

It should ensure that every game ends in most hillarious ruin, as it does in the game.