PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Master Redux (3.5; PEACH)

Drolyt
2010-03-13, 05:55 PM
Alright, I was playing Neverwinter Nights 2 over spring break (you know, instead of studying for my test next week) and I thought, wouldn't it be cool if the Weapon Master from Sword and Fist was updated to 3.5 (if it has in fact been updated without my knowledge, please tell me where, also if someone else did such a homebrew I would like to know). Well, I'll admit the concept isn't extraordinarily flavorful, but some like it and it's fun in computer form at least. Anyways, here we go:
Hit Die
d10.
Requirements
Base Attack Bonus
+5
Skills
Intimidate 4 Ranks.
Feats
Combat Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (melee weapon), Weapon Specialization (melee weapon), Whirlwind Attack
Class Skills
The Weapon Master’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).
Weapon Master
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Ki Damage (Double) 1/day, Weapon of Choice

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Ki Damage 2/day, Superior Weapon Focus

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Ki Damage 3/day

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Ki Damage 4/day, Superior Weapon Specialization

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Ki Damage (Triple) 5/day

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|Increased Multiplier, Ki Damage 6/day

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|Ki Damage 7/day

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|Ki Critical, Ki Damage 8/day

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|Ki Damage 9/day

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|Ki Damage (Quadruple) 10/day, Ki Whirlwind[/table]
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Weapon Master Prestige Class.
Weapon of Choice
At 1st level a Weapon Master chooses one melee weapon weapon for which he has selected both the Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization feats. This is his Weapon of Choice, and all his Weapon Master special abilities apply only when he wields this weapon. Unarmed Strike is considered a Melee Weapon for this purpose and for the purposes of qualifying for this class
Weapon Master levels stack count as Fighter levels for the purpose of determining whether he can take the Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization Feats in his Weapon of Choice.
Ki Damage
A Weapon Master may deal increased damage with his Weapon of Choice 1/day per class level. After confirming a hit a Weapon Master may use this ability to roll twice as many damage dice as normal. For example, when attacking with a Greataxe he would deal 2d12 damage instead of 1d12 damage, or when attacking with a Greatsword he would deal 4d6 damage instead of 2d6. This ability does not affect damage other than the base damage dice, such as that from a high Strength or from the Sneak Attack ability. Starting at 5th level the Weapon Master instead rolls 3 times as many dice (so a Greataxe would deal 3d12, while a Greatsword would deal 6d6) when using this ability and at 10th level he rolls 4 times as many dice (4d12 for a Greataxe, 8d6 for a Greatsword) when using this ability.
Superior Weapon Focus
Starting at 2nd level a Weapon Master adds a +1 bonus to all attack rolls made with his Weapon of Choice. This stacks with bonuses from all other sources, including Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus.
Superior Weapon Specialization
Starting at 4th level a Weapon Master adds +2 to the damage he deals with his Weapon of Choice. This bonus stacks with all other sources, including Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization.
Increased Multiplier
Starting at 6th level you increase the critical multiplier for your Weapon of Choice by +1. For example, if your Weapon of Choice normally does x2 damage on a critical hit it now does x3, if it normally does x3 it now does x4, and if it normally does x4 it now does x5.
Ki Critical
Starting at 8th level you increase your threat range for your Weapon of Choice by +2. For example, if you Weapon of Choice normally only scores a critical on a natural 20 it now scores a critical on an 18-20, if it normally scores on a 19-20 it now scores on a 17-20, 18-20 becomes a 16-20, 17-20 becomes a 15-20, and a 15-20 becomes a 13-20. This ability stacks with the Improved Critical feat and similar abilities, but apply the effects of that ability first (for example, a Weapon Master who's Weapon of Choice was a Rapier who was wielding a +1 Keen Rapier would score a critical hit on a 13-20, rather than a 10-20).
Ki Whirlwind
When a 10th level Weapon Master makes a Whirlwind Attack with his Weapon of Choice he may make a full attack against each opponent within reach instead of a single attack against each opponent within reach.
Special
A Monk who becomes a Weapon Master may multiclass freely with this class and the Fighter class.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-14, 03:32 PM
I suppose the class is fine, its certainly has a good deal of martial power. One reason the class was never reprinted may have been there was no need to. Nothing in it really conflicted with 3.5.

deuxhero
2010-03-14, 03:57 PM
Expect the critical stacking normaly doesn't happen in 3.5 (Why they did it that way I don't know, if it was to nerf Vorpal, wasn't the nat 20 thing enough?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-14, 04:40 PM
The problem lied in Improved critical and keen stacking, it was seen as a bit to good

Drolyt
2010-03-14, 05:17 PM
The problem lied in Improved critical and keen stacking, it was seen as a bit to good

It probably was. Take this PRC, make Falchion your Weapon of Choice, take Improved Critical (Falchion) and get a Keen Falchion. You would have a critical range of 10-20/x3, which over time translates into +110% damage over wielding a Falchion without any of those abilities. Of course unlike my version Improved Critical was a daily use ability in Sword and Fist, I think it was 5/day by 10th level (this was not implemented in NWN, where it was constant, which is the main reason this PRC is considered the strongest melee class in both NWN and NWN2). Alternatively choose Scythe, take Improved Critical (Scythe) and get a Keen Scythe for 16-20/x5, again approximately +100% damage over time (Falchion is slightly better).

Since in 3.5 Improved Critical doesn't stack with Keen the best you can get is 16-20/x3 on a Falchion (about +50% damage) or 17-20/x5 on a Scythe (about +80%, so in this case Scythe is actually a clear winner; this is also true in NWN2 where you see more Scythe wielders than is logical). The end result is that my update is mechanically powerful, but I think it is still pretty reasonable, since all it can do is deal tons of damage.

What do people think of the Ki Whirlwind ability? I thought the Sword and Fist version was kinda useless, is my version okay?