PDA

View Full Version : Turning a concept into a characther (dnd 3.5)

boomwolf
2010-03-14, 01:03 PM
Well, I have a character concept I need to turn into an actual character but I have NO idea how to actually make the dude work as a character.

I accept the fact not all spells he need are likely to be from the same spell list, but other the obvious no-nos (such as wizard with healing), the DM usually allows crossover spells-if they are not overpowering.
Now, he starts the game at level 4, so levels 1-3 functionality matters not.

The concept is such:
A melee gish guy, using a single sword in one hand, and an occasional unarmed attack with the other (to deliver stunning blows mostly)
His core is melee, magic is there as an assistance, not as the driving force.

Combat abilities:
-option to stun with attacks
-decent hitting chanced (3/4 being the lowest affordable.)
-highly mobile combat, hardly staying in the same place.

Magic Abilities: (as many as possible used as swift action. durations need not be long so swift spells are great.)
-short distance teleport (VERY important to be a move action at most swift or immediate if possible.)
-vanishing ability. (swift invisibility?)
-Ability to speed himself up (swift haste?)
-ability to deflect attacks
-electrical/untyped melee magic
-minor transformation tricks

Aiming to rapid and repetitive use of low-level magic tricks in high levels instead of growing to higher level spells.

I accept the fact its unlikely that ALL will work. but I can live with a few magic tricks not happening.

Amphetryon
2010-03-14, 01:08 PM
Wilder 8 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm)/Swordsage 2/Elocator 10 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm). Season to taste.

BobVosh
2010-03-14, 01:38 PM
I think the sword sage with a few select items can qualify.

Less optimized would be rogue/fighter/duelist with select items.

Yorrin
2010-03-14, 02:12 PM
The only way I can think to do all this, aside from having a frik-ton of specific magic items, is a caster who self-buffs a lot.

For mobility, take a look at Travel Devotion (Complete Champion). It's not teleport, but if you're a War-Cleric you can keep it on during most combats and I think it meshes well with the flavor you're going for. Combine with Divine Power for good results.

Or an arcanist can have access to dimension door, invisibility, haste, mage armor, polymorph, and Quicken Spell. For the electric attack get an energy-substitution Shivering Touch.

Warlock isn't actually all that bad for this. He gets the teleport, invis, entropic warding, and if you want to go unarmed grab Hideous Blow with Improved Unarmed Strike or even Superior Unarmed Strike, if you have an extra feat. Just reflavor the eldrich energy to electricity.

Of course, it sounds like you don't want to play a caster very much, just to have access to the occasional spell. Swordsage is indeed a fine choice for the sort of feel you're going for.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-14, 02:35 PM
though un optimised..
I would say that sounds very similar to a 1monk/3 duskblade

You may need to add some of the swift spells but you have alot of options you where asking for right there

first can use swords.

-option to stun with attacks
stunning fist from monk

he would have 3/4s bab

this can be dualable depends on how you play him.

Magic Abilities:
-short distance teleport (VERY important to be a move action at most swift or immediate if possible.)
dimension hop, you can even channel it if you want.

It has swift invis

you would need to add this to the list which isn't over powering

lesser deflection

-electrical/untyped melee magic
shocking grasp

-minor transformation tricks
can't transform but does have the stat buffers like bull st and what not.

Sounds to me like this should be the way to go.. see if you can get your GM to edit the asthetic mage to work with a duskblade(basicaly change it to int and make all references to sorcerer changed to duskblade)

kladams707
2010-03-14, 02:37 PM
I'm basing this on concept, not optimization. Bard has 3/4 bab and some arcane magic for assistance. and proficient in longsword (or rapier if you prefer the lighter martial weapons)

If you're allowed complete mage, there's the Lyric Thaumaturge PrC (complete mage). 3/4 bab, 10/10 spell progression, and +1bardic music/day/level (no progression of the music you can use as a bard). You get extra spell slots at certain levels and bonus spells known (which have to be taken from the sorc/wiz). You need melodic casting to qualify, which is a must if you go this route since you make perfrom instead of concentration checks.

Don't forget a martial class for a few extra hp if you wish. Paladin 2 has that charisma bonus to saves. Bardbarians are always popular. Fighter 1 for that extra feat. Take a ToB class if you think one of those matches your view better and can take it(edit-see unarmed swordsage variant)

Other suggestions: Arcane strike (you have fewer spell slots as a bard and lower spells, but you sacrifice slots them to gain bonus on your attack and damage, so this might still be of interest. Complete Warior).

[edit]Forgot monk as someone already suggested for the stunning fist and better unarmed damage. Though if you do this, I'd try getting divine bard (Unearthed Arcana, d20srd.com)

[edit2]If you do go LT, you would be able to get Greater Dimension Door (Spell Compendium pg64 if allowed of course). It is a standard action to cast, but afterwards you can teleport (as per the dimension door spell) as a move action w/o provoking AOOs

AbyssKnight
2010-03-14, 02:48 PM
Monk 2/Duskblade 2 (then continue advancing Duskblade)

Stunning Fist.
BAB 3 at 4th level, and won't take another hit if you stay Duskblade.
Mobility in combat has more to due with feats/skills than class.

Dimensional Hop spell (standard action, though)
Swift Invisibility spell
Swift Expeditious Retreat spell
Lesser Deflect spell
Channels touch spells through melee attacks (includes Shocking Grasp)
Greater Magic Weapon, Bull's Strength and other melee buffs
No transformation magic, though (you could be a Changling)

Carmendine Monk (Champions of Valor) would make Monk AC and Stunning Fist DC based off Int. You also get to add +2 to Monk level for unarmed damage, AC, or speed (you can change which one from one day to the next).

edit: stupid ninjas

Pluto
2010-03-14, 03:04 PM
Monk 2/Duskblade 2 (then continue advancing Duskblade)
+1.

For Transformation effects, talk to the DM and ask very nicely to alter the Duskblade spell list along the lines laid out in the DMG. Or just take Animal Devotion (CChamp) a couple times.

boomwolf
2010-03-14, 04:04 PM
I cant BELIEVE I forgot about the duskblade. he pretty much has everything I need.

Now looking for champions of valor monk thingy. looks interesting-int based monk? he might not be completely unplayable. (in a very non-optimizing group anyway.)

But I really have to find a way to make a teleport-ish move and attack at the same turn. its kina big in the concept. maybe not on level 4-but at some point. no need for massive distance of an actual teleport, short distance works.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-14, 04:08 PM
Well straight swordsage will eventually give you

Unarmed swordsage and dip fighter(the complete mage variant that doesn't grandt medium/heavy armor but eliminates ACF in light armor) and take 1 level of wizard or sorceror then some abjurant champion(or another full BAB full casting PrC you can enter with only 1 wizard level) then finish with all of Jade Phoenix Mage 8/10 casting Full BAB and of course full initiator) get stunning fist via a feat if you really want it though I'm sure you can find a martial strike that stuns opponents.

Most reasonable DMs will allow you to change Desertwind to dealing electrical damage rather than fire; resistence to both is about the same. If not you have plenty of spells to do it for you as well as achieve whatever minor transformation effect you may want.

I believe that's all of your goals. Since you want to use the sword primarily and the unarmed strike second take the fighter dip sooner than is necessary.

Pluto
2010-03-14, 04:15 PM
But I really have to find a way to make a teleport-ish move and attack at the same turn. its kina big in the concept. maybe not on level 4-but at some point. no need for massive distance of an actual teleport, short distance works.

If you have Complete Warrior, the Setting Sun Sun School Tactical feat gives that ability. The hardest prerequisite is Flurry, which you already have.

Also, I thought Duskblades had a swift or move action short-range teleport spell in the level 2 range. *goes to check*

edit: Scratch that last bit. I was thinking of the Psychic Warrior.
Sun School + Dimension Hop/Door/Jaunt still works, though.

d13
2010-03-14, 04:32 PM
Fighter 1/Martial Conjurer (Abrupt Jaunt) 5/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 9/Abjurant Champion 5.

Immediate action teleport, and standard goodies associated with Swiftblade and Abjurant Champion.

Assuming human, I'd go:

Human. Improved Unarmed Strike
1. Stunning Fist
Fighter 1. Dodge
Wizard 1. Trade Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative
3. Mobility
Wiz 5, Levels 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 Be my guest...

Alternatively, be a Monk instead of a Fighter, and use Elf, or something like that as race. You'd get free proficiency with a Martial Weapon, free IUS and free Stunning Fist, and it'll be something like...

Monk 1. Improved Unarmed Strike
Monk 1. Stunning Fist
1. Dodge
Wiz 1. Trade SS for II
3. Mobility
Etc, etc, etc.

Petrocorus
2010-03-14, 06:20 PM
Wizard 1. Trade Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative

Where is the ACF which allow you to do this?

Alternatively, be a Monk instead of a Fighter, and use Elf, or something like that as race. You'd get free proficiency with a Martial Weapon, free IUS and free Stunning Fist, and it'll be something like...

Monk are proficient with handaxe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm) which is a martial weapon, so, that qualify for Swiftblade or Abjurant Champion, i think.

Frosty
2010-03-14, 06:39 PM
Just be a Swordsage and take the Stunning Fist feat sometime. Go into Jade Phoenix Mage later. Very simple.

d13
2010-03-14, 06:41 PM
Where is the ACF which allow you to do this?

Uhm... In the same place you've quoted. The SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard)

Monk are proficient with handaxe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm) which is a martial weapon, so, that qualify for Swiftblade or Abjurant Champion, i think.

Forgot about the handaxe :smallredface: You have one extra feat, to boot, then :smalltongue:

Petrocorus
2010-03-14, 07:16 PM
Uhm... In the same place you've quoted. The SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard)

My bad, i've never pay attention to this apparently.

Forgot about the handaxe :smallredface: You have one extra feat, to boot, then :smalltongue:

Well, they got to get something. They are not even proficient with their fists!
But they have 0 BAB at 1st lvl, so you'll have to take 6 lvl of wiz (or 2 of monk) before going swiftblade.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-14, 09:17 PM
I would just do Duskblade 4 and getting a Stunning enhancement on your weapon/gauntlet. Alternatively, Swordsage 4, maybe, taking Desert Wind and Tiger Claw maneuvers to get the mobility features you're looking for.