PDA

View Full Version : druid items

Kol Korran
2010-03-15, 10:34 AM
a player in my group is a 10th level druid, with about 25K gp to his name. since magic items don't work in animal shape (not sure that's the official ruling, but it is in our group) he is looking for possible items.
i heard there was an armor property that allowed it to fit animal form (i think it was called "wild") and also some sort of... clasps?

if anyone knows what i'm talking about, or has any other idea what might be good, please share. i ask that you name the book the item is from, it's basic property and if you can, the price.

thanks in advance,
Kol.

Edit: edited the 25 gp to 25k gp. small difference, big money.

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 10:38 AM
Wild Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#wild) is in DMG; +3 ability, makes you retain armor bonus (but nothing else) of your armor in Wildshape form. Wilding Clasps are in Masters of the Wild/Complete Divine/Magic Item Compendium; 4000gp, item basically works while in Wildshape.

Other things to consider include Animated Shield (when it's not in your possession, it can't very well meld, eh?), Ioun Stones and company.

Oh, and Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicExtend) to use with Barkskin and Greater Magic Fang are good investments, as are Beads of Karma (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) as they can be used while buffing up in the morning and thus don't have issues with Wildshape. Of course, everyone should have Haversack/Bag of Holding, no matter that it melds. Actually, that just keeps it safe.

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-15, 10:40 AM
Specifically, Wilding Clasps make an item not meld when you wildshape. If you're in a form unable to use it, however, you still cannot. For example: a Wilding clasp on a pair of boots won't help you if you wildshape into a constrictor snake.

ka_bna
2010-03-15, 10:43 AM
Also, a Druid's Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#vestmentDruids), allows you to wildshape 1x day more, 10.000 gp, found in the DMG.

Defiant
2010-03-15, 10:52 AM
25gp won't be enough to buy any good magic items.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-15, 10:55 AM
Specifically, Wilding Clasps make an item not meld when you wildshape. If you're in a form unable to use it, however, you still cannot. For example: a Wilding clasp on a pair of boots won't help you if you wildshape into a constrictor snake.

But could be very fun to see.

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 11:01 AM
25gp won't be enough to buy any good magic items.

I'm almost certain he meant 25k.

Kol Korran
2010-03-15, 11:26 AM
thanks people, good advice. keep em coming!

Greenish
2010-03-15, 11:31 AM
Barding for the Animal Companion (and maybe to the druid, if he sticks in a single form enough).

Kol Korran
2010-03-15, 12:05 PM
i just read about wilding clasp (i got the 3.0 masters of the wild. i ssume there was no change?). it enables you to attach only a pendant, amulet, periapt and the like...

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 02:40 PM
i just read about wilding clasp (i got the 3.0 masters of the wild. i ssume there was no change?). it enables you to attach only a pendant, amulet, periapt and the like...

The MiC version simply attaches to any item worn on the body.

Lysander
2010-03-15, 03:30 PM
How about a darkwood quarterstaff? Thanks to Wood Shape you can turn it into a masterwork spear, masterwork shortspear, or masterwork bow (if you have a bowstring handy), and back whenever convenient. They're not proficient with bows but hey, the option is nice. It'd be relatively pretty cheap too, just 4gp.

There's also expensive spell components. For example the 1,000gp of oils and unguents for Reincarnate, or the incense and oil for Hallow.

Another thing you consider are magic items that cast buff spells upon activation instead of having passive ongoing effects. Spells persist in alternate forms so if you have a X Spell 1/day item you can use it right before changing, then benefit from the buff while in animal form.

Rainbownaga
2010-03-15, 06:28 PM
The armor comes in two types.

The type in the DMG/SRD allows you to gain the benefit even when merged, the type in complete adventurer actually adjusts the armor to fit your animal form, but it costs an extra use of wild shape and is naturally cheaper.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-15, 08:42 PM
Complete Champion has the Armor of the Beast, Ring of the Beast, and Mantle of the Beast, all of which are worth getting. He'd only be able to get one of those right now on that budget, but they all specifically function while Wild Shaped. The Raiment of the Stormwalker set in MIC also functions when Wild Shaped, but those are considerably less useful.

He should definitely get a Monk's Belt with a Wilding Clasp, so he gets his Wisdom bonus to AC regardless of his current form. Also note that when wearing Wild armor and Wild Shaped, he still gets its AC bonus but isn't considered to be wearing it since it still melds with his form, so his Monk AC from the belt would still function as though he were unarmored. A Lesser Rod of Extend is one of the most useful items he'll ever get, I'd even suggest getting two.