PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spy Prestige Class (a la Team Fortress 2)

gdiddy
2010-03-16, 01:53 AM
"Gentlemen..."

http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/3/36/Spy.png

Spy

Concept

I really wanted to see the Team Fortress 2 spy as a 3.5 character class. (Because I am a meta-dork.) I doubt I've done anything new or ground breaking, but I think it's a functional Tier 3 or 4 class that most people would find really fun. Of course, a tongue is planted firmly in cheek for some of the abilities, but that doesn't make them any less neat.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs37/f/2008/262/a/d/Spy_Red_by_Gavade.jpg

Class Info

Hit Die
d6.

Requirements
To qualify to become a spy, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment
Jerk

Skills
Disguise 8 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks.

Feats
Weapon Focus (Dagger, Kukri, or Punch Dagger)

Class Features
Trapfinding

Specials
The character must have spent one night alone with with the mother of another character with at least one level of scout.

The character must have an accent.

Class Skills
The spy’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level
6 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Cigarette Case, Disguise Kit (Disguise Self), Sneak Attack +1d6

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Backstab

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +2d6

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4| Butterfly Knife (Quick Draw), Sapper

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Sneak Attack +3d6, Disguise Kit (Alter Self)

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Cloaking Device

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +4d6

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat, Butterfly Knife (Critical)

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +5d6

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Disguise Kit (Imp. Alter Self), Spy Crab[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the spy prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Spies are proficient with the crossbow (hand, light, or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, kukri, rapier, sap, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Spies gain no armor proficiency.

Cigarette Case (Ex)
"Heart warming."
A spy always has a ready source of fire. Furthermore, he may put his cigarette out on a flat-footed opponent, dealing 1 fire damage.

Disguise Kit (Sp)
"He could be any one of us!"
A spy may, as part of a move action, use Disguise Self as the spell at will. (The Will Save to recognize the glamor is equal to 10 + the spy's charisma modifier + the spy's class level) This is a spell like ability and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

At fifth level, a spy may also use Alter Self as the spell in tandem with the Disguise Self effect. For the purposes of this ability, the disguise bonus of Disguise Self and Alter Self stack for a +20 bonus.

At tenth level, a spy is no longer limited by creature type or HD in its disguise options.

Sneak Attack (Ex)
"...dime-a-dozen back-stabbing scum-bags - like you!"
This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th). If an spy gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Backstab (Ex)
"Right behind you."
If an spy studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (spy’s choice). While studying the victim, the spy can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the spy or recognize the spy as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the spy’s class level + the spy’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the spy. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the spy has completed the 3 rounds of study, she must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds.

If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the spy does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

Butterfly Knife (Ex)
"I'm going to gut you like a Cornish game hen."
At 4th level, a spy gains the quick draw feat, and treats any dagger on his person as concealed with a +10 competence bonus.

At 8th level, a spy's blade mastery is complete. He expands the threat range of any dagger, punching dagger, or kukri he holds by three. This stacks with other critical range expansions, but is always added last. Thus, a keen dagger held by a spy would threaten on an attack roll of 14 or greater.

Sapper (Ex)
"SENTRY DOWN!"
A spy may always take 10 on a disable device check, and can make the check in a single round, regardless of the trap's complexity or if he is under pressure.

Cloaking Device (Sp)
"There's a spah 'round here..."
At 6th level, the spy gains the ability to pass unseen to its target. As an immediate action not necessarily on her turn, the spy may gain invisibility. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Spy's class level. The effect ends if the spy takes any action that would end an invisibility spell. A spy may dismiss the effect at will, but must wait a full round before using it again, regardless if it expires by the spy attacking, it being dismissed, or if it ends naturally. This is a spell like ability and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Bonus Feat
"Did you forget about ME?!"
At 8th level, a spy may select a bonus feat from either Cloak and Dagger or Dead Ringer as a bonus feat. This bonus feat is in addition to the feats that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. If the spy already has either feat, she may instead choose another feat appropriate to her profession.

Spy Crab
"What is that?!"
At 10th level, a spy becomes a perfect chameleon, and her body enters a constant state of flux. She is forevermore treated as an aberration rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the spy’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the spy gains damage reduction 10/adamantine. A spy becomes immune to critical hits, as her anatomy has now transcended reason and geometry.

Feats:

Cloak and Dagger [General]
A spy that focuses on his Cloaking ability may extend it's duration, indefinitely.
Prerequisites: Cloaking Device class ability
Benefits: A spy using his Cloaking Device remains invisible indefinitely as long he remains stationary. Any movement counts against the initial use of the ability. A spy with the Cloak and Dagger feat never has to wait to use his Cloaking Device.
Normal: A spy's cloaking device only lasts a number of rounds equal to his spy class level. He must also wait a round between the end of the Invisibility's duration and reactivating it.
Special: A spy may take either the Cloak and Dagger feat or Dead Ringer, not both.

Dead Ringer [General]
A spy is a master of deception. Death is one such tool in his repertoire.
Prerequisites: Cloaking Device class ability
Benefits: A spy may expend a swift action to prepare to feign his own death as a part of his mission. He gains 15 temporary hit points until the beginning of his next turn. If he takes any damage before the beggining of his next turn, his Cloaking device is triggered and a major image of the spy's death appears in the spy's square.
Normal: A spy's cloaking device is an immediate action, which has no additional effect.
Special: A spy may take either the Cloak and Dagger feat or Dead Ringer feat, not both.

Thoughts? Opinions? If people like it, I may make a full set for all the classes.

Touchy
2010-03-16, 02:03 AM
Flavor, throwing jarate at the spy should increase the number you are able to get a crit on him, or allow him to be crit'd after he reaches spy-crab phase.

I'll give this an actual reading when in the morning.

Dogmantra
2010-03-16, 03:58 AM
I think the backstab DC should probably be based off Charisma. I mean, he is pretty charming.

gdiddy
2010-03-16, 10:24 AM
Flavor, throwing jarate at the spy should increase the number you are able to get a crit on him, or allow him to be crit'd after he reaches spy-crab phase.

I'll give this an actual reading when in the morning.

I'll save jarate for a sniper feat when I make him, next.

Roderick_BR
2010-03-16, 10:59 AM
I like. Captures his essence very well.

I lol'd at the Special section of the requisites.
The sapper is a bit weird. Maybe have Trapfinding as requisite, and the sapping ability allows you to use disable device in one round?
Other wise, pretty good.

gdiddy
2010-03-16, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking with the sapping ability. Fixed that and keyed backstab onto Charisma. After all, Charisma is what usually let's you get behind someone.