PDA

View Full Version : Academic [3.5e base class]

zonker1984
2010-03-16, 07:47 PM
Fair warning, this is my first shot at this. My buddy and I are pretty happy with it so far, but I thought I'd see what y'all thought of it here

ACADEMIC

The Academic has spent his whole life studying away. As such he is extremely intelligent, and a valuable addition to any party that thinks someone might need to know something. However, he takes a -2 to Charisma, because nobody likes a smart ass.

Alignment: Any Neutral

Hit Die: d4

Class Skills: The Academic has all skills and class skills, including Speak Language.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (10+ Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 10 + Int modifier.

ACADEMIC

{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus |Fort Save |Ref Save |Will Save |Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Academic Insight +1, can use spellbook
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Grand Oratory
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Academic Insight +2
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Anatomical Studies +1d6
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Academic Insight +3
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Illusory Nit-picker
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Anatomical Studies +2d6
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Academic Insight +4
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Studious Nature
11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|
12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Academic Insight +5, Anatomical Studies +3d6
13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8| Linguistic Mastery
14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|Wisdom of Ages
15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Academic Insight +6
16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Anatomical Studies +4d6
17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Immunity to INT damage or drain
18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Academic Insight +7
19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11| Anatomical Studies +5d6
20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Reality Rejection[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Academic.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

An Academic has no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Use Spellbook: An Academic’s Intelligence is such that they can use a Wizard’s spellbook to cast spontaneously from it, however they must make an INT based caster level check (1/2 level + INT) any time they attempt to cast. A failed attempt still uses a spell for that day. Caster level for spells is based on level + INT score. Uses same spell list as Wizard, plus access to Conjuration (Healing).

{table]level|0|1| 2|3|4|5|6
1|2||||||
2|3|0|||||
3|3|1|||||
4|3|2|0||||
5|3|3|1||||
6|3|3|2||||
7|3|3|2|0|||
8|3|3|3|1|||
9|3|3|3|2|||
10|3|3|3|2|0||
11|3|3|3|3|1||
12|3|3|3|3|2||
13|3|3|3|3|2|0|
14|4|3|3|3|3|1|
15|4|4|3|3|3|2|
16|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
17|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
18|4|4|4|4|4|3|2
19|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
20|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Spells Known

{table]Level|0|1|2|3|4|5|6
1|4||||||
2|5|2|||||
3|6|3|||||
4|6|3|2||||
5|6|4|3||||
6|6|4|3||||
7|6|4|4|2|||
8|6|4|4|3|||
9|6|4|4|3|||
10|6|4|4|4|2||
11|6|4|4|4|3||
12|6|4|4|4|3||
13|6|4|4|4|4|2|
14|6|4|4|4|4|3|
15|6|4|4|4|4|3|
16|6|5|4|4|4|4|2
17|6|5|5|4|4|4|3
18|6|5|5|5|4|4|3
19|6|5|5|5|5|4|4
20|6|5|5|5|5|5|4[/table]

Academic Insight: An Academic is so smart, that his mere presence makes others smarter as well. Starting at 1st level, an Academic adds a +1 insight bonus to intelligence based skill checks performed by allies within 25 feet. This goes up by one on every level divisible by 3.

Grand Oratory: At 2nd level, an Academic may use Perform (Oratory) to cast sleep, fascinate, or suggestion as a bard, but with INT score instead of CHA score. Can be used once per day per level.

Anatomical Studies: At 4th level, an Academic begins to understand the basic construction of the body such that when his opponent is flanked or flat-footed, the Academic’s attacks are particularly effective

Wisdom of Ages: An academic’s rigorous study pays off at 14th level, when he gains a +5 natural bonus to all skills he currently has any ranks in, except speak language.

Lingustic Mastery: At 13th level an academic has formed the basis to be able to communicate with any living creature.

Studious Nature: Starting at level 10, an Academic can take 10 on any intelligence based skill he has at least 5 ranks in.

Illusory Nit-picker: At 7th level, and Academic may use his intelligence modifier instead of his wisdom modifier on will saves against illusion

Mental Fortitude: At 17th level, an Academic has such a firm grasp on knowledge, that he is now immune to intelligence damage or drain.

Reality Rejection: At 20th level, an Academic rejects the reality of injuries and thinks away the pain. Damage Reduction/alignment equal to his Intelligence modifier.

JKTrickster
2010-03-16, 08:36 PM
First time homebrewing huh? Let's take a look at this :smallbiggrin:

My comments in Bold

Skill Points at 1st Level: (10+ Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

This is an oddity here. Normally a class receives the same amount of skill points at every level. It's just at first they get x4 to have max ranks in the skills they choose. So when you lower it to 6, you're literally forcing them to choose 4 skills that they can only have 4 ranks in...why?

And also, this solidly places this class as the ultimate skill-monkey. Absolutely nothing would beat it...

[snippet of table]
Wow, quite possible the lowest BaB possible (even lower than the wizard???) and all bad saves. This means that this class should have some phenomenal abilities. Also wouldn't it make sense to at least give them a good Will Save?

Use Spellbook: An Academic’s Intelligence is such that they can use a Wizard’s spellbook to cast as if a sorcerer from it, however they must make an INT based caster level check (1/2 level + INT) any time they attempt to cast. A failed attempt still uses a spell for that day. Caster level for spells is based on level + INT score.

[snippet of table]

Just in case I misunderstand, they basically use a spellbook, but cast spontaneously and are half casters right? So when casting do they have to hold the spellbook?

And also they use the wizard/sorcerer's spell list, correct?

Academic Insight: An Academic is so smart, that his mere presence makes other’s smarter as well. Starting at 1st level, an Academic adds a positive insight bonus to allies within 25 feet

What's this insight bonus to? AC? Attack? Skills?

Grand Oratory: At 2nd level, an Academic may use Perform (Oratory) to cast sleep, fascinate, or suggestion as a bard, but with INT score instead of CHA score.

This could either be incredibly useful, or useless. Mainly because you left out the number of times this ability can be used. Seems okay.

Anatomical Studies: At 4th level, an Academic begins to understand the basic construction of the body such that when his opponent is flanked or flat-footed, the Academic’s attacks are particularly effective

This class has no weapon or armor proficiencies, the lowest BaB in existence and a d4 hit die. Exactly why would anyone risk this class and send it to the front :smallconfused:

Wisdom of Ages: An academic’s rigorous study pays off at 14th level, when he gains a +1 insight bonus to all skills he has any ranks in, except speak language.

A rather meh ability, especially since it comes so late. By 14th level, they are plenty of ways to raise skill modifier if you need to.

Lingustic Mastery: At 13th level, if an academic has learned at least 3 racial languages, at least three planar languages, and at least three elemental languages, he has formed the basis to be able to communicate with any living creature.

This is....rather odd. So if an academic hasn't learned the required amount of languages, they don't gain anything at 13th level? And what if they learn all those languages later? Would this ability be retroactively gained?

And even still, it isn't too useful (much too situational....)

Studious Nature: Starting at level 10, an Academic can take 10 on any intelligence based skill he has at least 5 ranks in.

Hmm pretty good. Although might have problems with certain skills....

Illusory Nit-picker: At 7th level, and Academic may use his intelligence modifier instead of his wisdom modifier on will saves against illusion

Uhh this looks solid to me.

Mental Fortitude: At 17th level, an Academic has such a firm grasp on knowledge, that he is now immune to intelligence damage or drain.

Ooh nice. Looks solid.

Reality Rejection: At 20th level, an Academic rejects the reality of injuries and thinks away the pain. Damage Reduction against non-magic weapons equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Not much of a capstone. DR/magic is way too easy to overcome by 10th level, to say nothing of 20th. Perhaps change it to DR/the academic's alignment?

Hmm good for a first try. But this class is really underwhelming. Quite simply, I can't really see this class actively participating too much (even though it's a half caster, which I suppose helps redeem it a little).

But don't worry we can definitely work on this! But let's start off with this: exactly what are you envisioning this class to do? It seems all over the place with its abilities and most of them don't sync up too well....

Zexion
2010-03-16, 11:14 PM
Academic Insight: An Academic is so smart, that his mere presence makes other<’>s smarter as well. Starting at 1st level, an Academic adds a positive insight bonus to allies within 25 feet
How big is the insight bonus? What does it apply to?
Also, you have an unnecessary apostrophe.

Temotei
2010-03-16, 11:57 PM
How big is the insight bonus? What does it apply to?
Also, you have an unnecessary apostrophe.

And no period.

zonker1984
2010-03-17, 12:22 PM
OK, in response to some suggestions, I've corrected the skill points error, cleaned up some grammar, clarified Grand Oratory, upped his BAB to wizard level, given him a good WIS save, clarified the spell list, and upped Wisdom of Ages to a +5 natural bonus, and removed the requirements for linguistic mastery, and tightened up reality rejection. Thanks for the insights, especially JKTrickster.

CrazyMacGuy
2010-03-23, 12:39 PM
Even DR/Alignment seems a bit weak at 20th level? If you want to keep the alignment part I would bump it to 15... otherwise make it a straight up 10/ DR with nothing that can overcome it...

Also, does "Reality Rejection" make sense... 'cause he's not really rejecting reality, he's kind of "bending" it to do his bidding, in this case protecting himself. Perhaps "Protection from Reality" or "Reality Reduction"... just brainstorming...

Also, I'm the "buddy" that Zonker here talks about in the beginning, and we want to get this ready for a game, so PEACH the heck out of this one!!

Lix Lorn
2010-03-25, 06:15 AM
You seem to be missing the specifics on Anatomical Studies. How much more effective? Also, this ability seems kinda pointless. He's not a combatant. He is SO non-combatant it's amazing. XD Maybe give him 'War Theory: Gains Combat Expertise as a bonus feat, even if he does not fit the prerequisites and proficiency with all Martial Weapons.'

If you went with that, maybe an ability to boost his BAB somehow. Four skill points in exchange for a bonus point, takeable only after War Theory, once per level? Then he'd have bearable BAB, but it would always be behind normal fighters, and at a large cost.

Draz74
2010-03-25, 12:39 PM
I'd strongly recommend dropping this as an independent class and re-writing it as a Variant Wizard. Write out all the Wizard features that the class is losing (familiar, bonus feats) and gaining (more class skills, unique bard-like abilities).

Check out the Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) for inspiration.

Leave the Hit Dice, BAB, spell progression, and so forth as they are for a normal Wizard. If you want the casting to not be as impressive as a Wizard's, just don't allow specialization in a school.

Giving an ability score penalty for a class (presumably at 1st level) is wonky, unprecedented in the rules, but I guess it's workable.

Jack of Spades
2010-03-26, 11:05 PM
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but Anatomical Studies sticks out at a completely useless ability for this class. From the name, a more fitting choice would be to give a bonus to healing. If you really want to give him combat capabilities at level 4, maybe do something like the multiclassing in 4e, and have the character gain so-and-so weapon and light armor proficiencies, and a fighter bonus feat with each progression of the ability. (Or better yet, Monk Lite progression)

In addition, it seems to me that the class gets a bit 'meh' in the later levels, but that might just be that my mental image of this class is a Monk who throws spells instead of punches... Which is probably a far cry from your intentions lol.