PDA

View Full Version : Obesity and penalties (3.5)

Adamaro
2010-03-18, 04:48 AM
How would being fat affect a character? Which penalties should he suffer?
(I was thinking reduced ref. saves and cha. checks penalty)

BobVosh
2010-03-18, 04:54 AM
Are you trying to stamp out the perfectly spherical halfling rogue trope?

Also changing it from reflex to dex and a minor speed reduction would be a bit better.

Gaiyamato
2010-03-18, 04:59 AM
Deformity Obese gives:

+2 CON, -2 DEX, +2 Intimidate (though that seems to be more to do with the vile feat/evil+willing deformity thing) and +2 save vs poisons.

Book of Vile Darkness.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-18, 05:08 AM
Well, Climb & Jump would suffer, as would Tumble. Disguise & Hide would probably be more difficult, as well. I'd also tack on a penalty to Fortitude saves to resist becoming fatigued/exhausted. Just a thought.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-18, 05:27 AM
Well, Climb & Jump would suffer, as would Tumble. Disguise & Hide would probably be more difficult, as well. I'd also tack on a penalty to Fortitude saves to resist becoming fatigued/exhausted. Just a thought.

Actually I'd give them a tumble bonus, downhill only.

ka_bna
2010-03-18, 05:36 AM
Actually I'd give them a tumble bonus, downhill only.
If you go by gravity, climb and jump downwards would get them bonuses too.

Ducklord
2010-03-18, 05:53 AM
Why not just use the rules for Carrying and Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#weight)? Count their extra weight as load, and you've got what you need.

taltamir
2010-03-18, 05:58 AM
Why not just use the rules for Carrying and Capacity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#weight)? Count their extra weight as load, and you've got what you need.

that... which is pretty realistic actually. you can be fat and strong, like a sumo. If you want your to be weak? well, put low scores in str, dex, and con.
And its easier to account for chances in weight... you just change the "carried load".
You should consider if any spells cure obesity (say, a heal spell? it heals anything :P). Also, consider giving the character some bonus XP for that penalty, if he loses said penalty he has to pay back the XP.

BobVosh
2010-03-18, 06:01 AM
Ducklord: you may be a lord of witchs according to Monty Python, but you are a genius.

Sliver
2010-03-18, 06:02 AM
There is a flaw in your thinking...

Sorry..

Anyway, there is a flaw in dragon mag for small characters.. It cancels their bonuses from being small (the AC and attack bonus, the hide bonus, the cheaper and lighter armor..). It doesn't give them bonuses or lowers speed, but they are playing a medium character with the smaller speed..

taltamir
2010-03-18, 06:53 AM
the problem with flaws, feats, etc... is that you are permanently forbidden from gaining/losing weight.

mmm, actually that would be an awesome spell..
obesity, makes target obese for round/CL, adds 10lbs/CL of fat to your "carried weight". Requires a fort save
greater obesity, same as obesity, but duration is immediate.
if your fat lbs exceeds your push capacity, you are paralyzed. If it is twice your push capacity you die from a heart attack.

Ryumaru
2010-03-18, 07:59 AM
the problem with flaws, feats, etc... is that you are permanently forbidden from gaining/losing weight.

mmm, actually that would be an awesome spell..
obesity, makes target obese for round/CL, adds 10lbs/CL of fat to your "carried weight". Requires a fort save
greater obesity, same as obesity, but duration is immediate.
if your fat lbs exceeds your push capacity, you are paralyzed. If it is twice your push capacity you die from a heart attack.

The Codex Astartes calls this spell 'Ronald McDonalts Grasping Glove'

Feel the fear as he grips your heart with his grease-laden, cardic inducing touch.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-18, 08:04 AM

I agree that this is the most elegant solution. It's barely a tweak of the rules at all, & it would cover the basics of what being obese entails.

TheMadLinguist
2010-03-18, 08:16 AM
The Codex Astartes calls this spell 'Ronald McDonalts Grasping Glove'

Feel the fear as he grips your heart with his grease-laden, cardic inducing touch.

Looks like somebody cast permanency (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-807) with it

Person_Man
2010-03-18, 10:56 AM
Deformity Obese gives:

+2 CON, -2 DEX, +2 Intimidate (though that seems to be more to do with the vile feat/evil+willing deformity thing) and +2 save vs poisons.

Book of Vile Darkness.

It's actually a decent feat for Totemists. In addition to having the same effect as Improved Toughness and improving the Save DC of all of your Soulmelds, an Obese Warforged and Adamantine body weighs enough to deal a ton of damage when he drops himself on top of an enemy. Since he can Dimension Door at will, it becomes a viable combo.

valadil
2010-03-18, 11:13 AM

Based on personal experience I'd say this works pretty well. I'd also give an armor check penalty on skills, but invert the penalty on swim to a bonus. Blubber floats.

Ashiel
2010-03-18, 12:14 PM
I'm actually concerned about this a bit. What counts as obesity? I mean, do they have to be over the given weight amounts listed for a character? Is this some attempt at stopping the "fat half-orc cleric" strategy?

Why are you, OP, looking for rules to punish fat people?

:smallconfused:

Godskook
2010-03-18, 12:25 PM
How would being fat affect a character? Which penalties should he suffer?
(I was thinking reduced ref. saves and cha. checks penalty)

It'd give you benefits to resist bull-rush, grapple, and trip, for sure, and should probably give you powerful build, too.

Ryumaru
2010-03-18, 12:26 PM
It'd give you benefits to resist bull-rush, grapple, and trip, for sure, and should probably give you powerful build, too.

Cloud Strife: Also known as Fat Bastard.

Lysander
2010-03-18, 12:35 PM
You could also assume that obesity is considered in a character's normal stats. Fat character concept? Just make dex your dump stat.

Daefos
2010-03-18, 05:45 PM
Why are you, OP, looking for rules to punish fat people?

:smallconfused:

Because it makes more sense than the 600lbs.-of-greasy-lard Wizard from being physically on par with the 180lbs.-of-pure-muscle Fighter?

Because just dumping Dex can't account for that discrepancy?

AslanCross
2010-03-18, 06:28 PM
There's an NPC in Forgotten Realms (Mirt the Moneylender) who is obese and yet has Str 18, Dex 18, Con 16.

Then again, Ed Greenwood claims that Mirt is his self-insert character, so go figure. Interestingly enough, he has Profession (gamer). While I guess that means "gambler," we all know it means something else. :smallamused:

There is a dragon in Dragons of Eberron who is obese, though, and his "Grossly Obese" statblock entry says that his flight speed is reduced to half, he can only make one wing and claw attack per target (can't use both claws and/or both wings on the same target), but despite only being Huge, he actually counts as Gargantuan for bull rush, crush and overrun.

I think a Dex penalty plus counting as one size larger for bull rush (and maybe grapple) would be ok.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-18, 07:15 PM
Character Traits:

Stout
You are heavy for your race.
Benefi t: You gain a +2 bonus on Strength checks to avoid being
bull rushed or overrun.
Drawback: You take a –1 penalty on Escape Artist checks.
Roleplaying Ideas: Overweight characters are often bullied,
so those with this trait might be shy, or they might be very defensive
when faced with such situations. Some turn to humor to
defuse such situations, while others become bitter.

Torpid
You are sluggish and slow to react to danger, but also resistant to
others’ commands.
Benefi t: You gain a +1 bonus on saves against enchantment
(compulsion) effects.
Drawback: You take a –2 penalty on initiative checks.
Roleplaying Ideas: Torpid characters may be seen as lazy, or
as methodical and measured in their actions.

Hardy
You are made of tougher stuff than the average person, but you’re
not quite as quick to react to dangerous effects.
Benefi t: You gain a +1 bonus on Fortitude saves.
Drawback: You take a –1 penalty on Refl ex saves.
Roleplaying Ideas: Characters with this trait might see their
physical prowess as normal and look down on less hardy individuals,
or they might see it as their duty to play the role of
protector and help those less able to endure physical
hardship.

Slow
You are slow, but sturdier than average members of your race.
Benefi t: Add +1 to your hit points gained at each level.
Drawback: Your base land speed is halved (round down to the
nearest 5-foot interval).
Special: You must have a base land speed of at least 20 feet to
select this trait.
Roleplaying Ideas: Characters with this trait tend to be relatively
immobile in combat. They typically prefer to wear strong armor (or
other protective devices), since it’s hard for them to fl ee a fi ght.

Character Flaws:

Slow
You move exceptionally slowly.
Effect: Your base land speed is halved (round down to the
nearest 5-foot interval).
Special: You must have a base land speed of at least 20 feet to
take this fl aw.

Feeble
You are unathletic and uncoordinated.
Effect: You take a –2 penalty on Strength-, Dexterity-, and
Constitution-based ability checks and skill checks.