PDA

View Full Version : The Adamic (v3.5) [In Progress]

Xallace
2010-03-20, 01:06 PM
I suppose you could call this a "Truenamer's Warlock."

Fluffy Fluff: Before there was anything else, there was pure, uninhibited concept. Roiling idea with no form, no cohesion. For time unknown - for there was no time to know - the multiverse lay uncreated, a pure mass of potential waiting to be unleashed.

Then, in the first moment of all that was, a sound reverberated through the nothing. A single syllable, a primal concept given its first semblance of form. The first sound, the first word of the first language, the first intent was sounded in the nothing before everything: "Be."

And existence became. Sounds imperceptible raced across the multiverse, manifesting potential into actual. The Language became physical; where there was the concept of "space," so it was. Where the concept for "star" was spoken, it became. Suns, planets, oceans, mountains, sky and earth, heat, cold, life, and death; all these things became.

Small, simple species such as ours are not equipped to perceive the universe in The Language. Our senses take much simpler routes, processing information in ways our brains can handle. But anyone will tell you that as humanity developed, our capacity for language expanded incredibly. It was only a matter of time before mortals would play god once again.

The Adamics, held as holy people in some societies while hunted as witches in others, are mortals who have heard echoes of the Language. Their very souls resonate with conscious knowledge of the creation of all things. Their words hold the power to manifest concept into form, to solidify idea and make existence.

Crunchy Crunch: So as you may have gleaned from my awful prose, the idea is basically the Warlock or Sorcerer of Truenaming. You can speak language with the power of magic, not from study, but simply... because. Maybe you're chosen, maybe you're a freak. Who knows?

These are the ideas I've had for mechanics:
I imagine this as a controller-sub-leader (to use 4E terminology), focusing mostly on battlefield control, but being able to turn abilities backwards and buffing allies (like how Utterances have Reverse versions).
Truespeak and Speak Language are class skills, of course. Social skills would also be on the list, along with Decipher Script and Forgery. Making the class Charisma-based would allow you to function as the party face.
Your main abilities are Invocations, like warlocks. Unlike warlocks, your invocations require verbal components (rather than somatic components).
Your invocations, if not requiring Truespeak checks outright, can be augmented with successful Truespeak checks. The DC to augment your invocations would rise every time you're successful, reseting after a set time.
Augmentation wouldn't be like psionics, necessarily. Augmenting an invocation might allow you to do something similar to adding a Blast Shape or Eldritch Essence invocation to a blast, were you a warlock; it lets you change properties of the effect instead of JUST making it more powerful.
Invocations would be mostly Transmutation-esque effects, with some Conjuration thrown in as well.
Permanent Read Magic.
Eventual permanent Tongues effect.

This is what I have so far. Interesting? Any ideas to help flesh it out? I appreciate any and all input.