PDA

View Full Version : Mario: 3.5e

Brendan
2010-03-21, 10:52 AM
I bet this has been done many times before but it was fun to make.
Some new items:
mushroom of enlarge person:
this tiny-sized item functions similarly to a potion of enarge person, with a few small differances. the object floats slightly off the ground and moves arbitrarily at 5ft/round. If it collides with a person, that person gains the benefits of this item. if it collides with an object, it bounces in a random direction.
to consume this item, you must be in the same square as it for any amount of time, and you expend no action. capturing it without gaining the benefits of it requires a bag of some sort and a DC 12 dex check. This is a standard action.
After consuming the item, you gain the benefits of enlarge person (caster level 8). In addition, at any point while the mushroom remains in effect, you can give up the bonus to negate the effect of a single one-time effect. This includes things like ability damage through spells, direct damage, a negative level, etc. but not any sort of a death attack or effect which would cause you to go to -10 or lower hit points.. this a one time only effect, and once you do this you lose all benefits of the mushroom.
(I can't figure out the level this should be and the cost)

Star of greatness {epic, probably}:
This item is a small sized flying star. it follows the same movement consumption and capturing rules as the mushroom, but moves at 15 ft/found and takes a dc 16 dex check to capture without activating it. upon activation you are surrounded by a prismatic sphere, gain regeneration 5, and can move at double you current movement rate. You receive a -40 to hide and move silently checks, as you create a loud song as per ghost sound and flash brightly. you gain dr30/falling for the duration of the item. you take a +10 to bull rush checks and can use the spell prismatic spray once at the last round of the spell. The character gains spell resistance equal to their level + 19, and cannot be effected by any sort of feather fall type effect. This item lasts 8 minutes, and after using it, you are flatfooted for three rounds.
(I can't figure out how to calculate all the stuff that goes at the bottom.)

what other things can be made?
criticism and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 11:00 AM
The star could just grant invulnerability to everything except falling damage. That would be in line with the games. Definitely make it epic then.

Brendan
2010-03-21, 11:13 AM
The star could just grant invulnerability to everything except falling damage. That would be in line with the games. Definitely make it epic then.

True, but also Mario moves faster and kills everything he touches when he is star mode. but good point about falling damage. I'm going to change that.

How is the cost and level calculated?

Temotei
2010-03-21, 11:17 AM
True, but also Mario moves faster and kills everything he touches when he is star mode. but good point about falling damage. I'm going to change that.

Just saying, when you get Starman in games, Mario/Luigi becomes invincible, gets faster, defeats everything he touches, and only dies from being squished between two walls or when falling off the stage.

Actually, it seems that Mario and Luigi either have a massive amount of Tumble/Dexterity or they're just immune to falling damage when it doesn't send them off the stage (this could be emulated by saying any falling damage that doesn't deal at least 15d6 does nothing). Obviously, implementing that rule would give your players many ideas...:smallamused:

How is the cost and level calculated?

I haven't even looked at the mushroom, but for the star, eyeball it. It's a one-time item that gives you invulnerability. It has to be too expensive to reliably buy, but it has to be cheap enough so that someone will buy it.

Caster level for items seems to be eyeballed as well when it's for things like this.