PDA

View Full Version : Gorillaz

H. Zee
2010-03-21, 01:10 PM
With the recent release of their new album Plastic Beach, I was wondering what the Playground's opinions were on the virtual band. Is the whole animated band thing just a tired gimmick, or is it a welcome change and an interesting satire on the two-dimensionality of modern pop music?

Personally, I love them, and I love their new album - though Demon Days still edges it out in terms of quality, it's still better than 99% of other mainstream bands achieving this kind of success.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-21, 02:16 PM
Haven't heard the new one yet, but really like their earlier stuff.

I think the concept is pretty interesting. Might have been lame, but Jamie Hewlett is talented enough to make it work really well.

Scoot
2010-03-21, 02:30 PM
Just got Demon Days and Gorillaz for christmas this year, I've been a fan since I was a little kid.

Not much to say other than I thoroughly enjoy their music and wish I had their DVD(s). :smalltongue:

Seraph
2010-03-21, 10:30 PM
was a pretty big fan back in HS, I thought they disbanded or something.

Starfols
2010-03-21, 11:49 PM
I remember them! I loved their character designs; they ought to make more videos. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-21, 11:57 PM
from the five music videos I've seen they're pretty good.

Serpentine
2010-03-22, 03:31 AM
I adore them. Demon Days is one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through reasonably regularly. New album is okay, maybe it'll grow on me as I hear it more.

katans
2010-03-22, 08:09 AM
Used to be a big fan as well. There's something refreshingly new and unique to their sound, a touch of Air, a hint of Mogwai, and a good lot of great ideas. Plus, love the videos. Gotta listen to some of the nwe songs, then I#ll see if buying the new CD is worth it.

Mauther
2010-03-22, 11:09 AM
Good original music, the gimmick works. They've got the most interesting videos out there, and Demon Days had songs on it that few "real" bands could make.

Calamity
2010-03-23, 11:43 AM
Ok, well I have to de-lurk here because, well, I am a huge, huge fan of this band. Seriously, the news of their third album was possibly the best thing I heard for nearly a year.

What I like about them is how they've opened my tastes in music to genres I would never even consider listening to before. Well, they do have a lot of influences from hip-hop. But they're really capable of anything musically. I like bands like that.

I love the gimmick, it won't wear on me. The characters are brought to life in the animations and voices in both the music videos and the extra material (Yes, I have Rise of the Orge. Yes, I am sad like that :smalltongue:) and it's done really well. And by the way, the animations are always of really high quality, even their 3D appearence in Stylo looks very stylish (See what I did there?). Plus, satire's always fun, if done right, which it very much is with these guys.

And, well, Feel Good Inc. is what I personally consider the best song and video of the decade.

In summary, yeah, they're ok. :smalltongue:

@Seraph: There is usually a massive time gap between albums, Gorillaz came out in 2001, Demon Days in 2005, and Plastic Beach in 2010

@Starfols: They are making new videos, I don't know if you've seen Stylo, fair enough if you haven't, but there'll probably be more videos from the future singles from Plastic Beach

Kiren
2010-03-24, 03:57 PM
Ive been a fan for maybe two years, but I had only heard the music videos on youtube, recently I bought "Gorillaz" and "Plastic Beach", great stuff, I wish I had gotten them sooner then I had, I am going to get "Demon Days" soon, as some of my favorites are on there.

Favorite band by far.

The Demented One
2010-03-24, 04:05 PM
Plastic Beach is really not what I'd expected from them. I like it, but it doesn't really sound like any of the older Gorillaz songs that I enjoy. Divergent evolution, I suppose.

Jibar
2010-03-24, 04:11 PM
I adore them. Demon Days is one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through reasonably regularly. New album is okay, maybe it'll grow on me as I hear it more.

First listen I thought it was okay, second listen I loved it completely.
But yeah, big big fan of Gorillaz. Pretty much the only band I always like, next to Avril Lavigne.
...my music tastes are weird.

Boo
2010-03-25, 02:29 AM
Sorry to break the chain here boys (and girls), but I dislike their music. It's always lacking depth and meaning, and the only beat that it has is equivalent to that of a tone-deaf toddler.

Of course this is all a lie to dupe you into reading my post. Nya nya. I do very much enjoy their music.

Moff Chumley
2010-03-26, 09:15 PM
Murdoc is my hero. :smallcool:

Tomorrow Comes Today, Clint Eastwood, Kids With Guns, El Manana, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, Stylo, and Rhinestone Eyes are seven of the greatest songs ever recorded.