PDA

View Full Version : Roldethbecor, a Dwarf Fortress

Chaotic Bob
2010-03-21, 08:42 PM
This is the fortress Roldethbecor, known in the human language as Anguish Tempted.
Welcome and look for a comfortable spot, don't mind the fire imps outside.

The Beginning

1st Granite, 283

King Kadol has decreed the need for a new Mountainhome.
In a way, this was a good thing, we were running out of resources and needed some solid expansion.
Though...why in Sodel's Name did he pick this freakishly cold place for the expedition? I blame the map-keeper. I think he's still angry about his cat.

So here we are, the seven us.
-Dumat Bomreksezuk, Miner (Me! Yay mole-duty)
-Lokum Nishmokez, Other Miner (Only person in this group I know)
-Sarvesh Koluvar, our Woodcrafter (Crazy guy. Seems to enjoy carving blueberries on our wagon)
-Muthkat Kerligkogan, Farmer (I caught him talking to our slime mold seeds)
-Fikod Cogenol, honored Tree Chopper (Mostly quiet, just silently steered the mule and muskox to where we needed to go)
-Lorbam Astiden, Stonecrafter, only girl (No idea why she volunteered to go with us, decent conversation though)
-Urdim Sosadmorul, Hauler (I think he's deaf, he wouldn't respond to anything we asked him, seems eager to carry stuff though)

Somehow the King seemed to think I'd do well as Expedition Leader, Outpost Manager, Bookkeeper, and Outpost Broker. No idea how to do the last two, and I guess the first two are kind of the same, so I delegated Lokum to Bookkeeper, since he seems to have an idea of what that is, and Lorbam offered to be our Broker.
That worked out nicely.

10th Granite, 283

After what felt like weeks, but was probably only a few days, Fikod stopped the wagon and hopped off, then started to untie the pack animals, which I guess means we arrived.
Which was good. I don't think I could sit next to those giant wasps buzzing in their cage any longer, or those damn cats meowing at them the whole time.

Hoping no one would notice, I let the wasps and cats out of their cages and hid, hoping the things would run away. Instead, the wasps just buzzed around the caravan, with the cats chasing them.
Freakish things are bigger than my head, so at least they seem to be friendly. I'd hate to feel that sting.

While the others began pull everything out of the wagon, Lokum and I grabbed our pickaxes and headed over to the mountain face nearby and set to work, we'd need shelter soon.
While we worked at the surprisingly soft clay, we sent miss Lorbum to go see what the terrain looked like. Meanwhile Fikod began ripping apart the wagon, since we'd probably need the wood later, and Muthkat decided to go find berries.
Everything is covered in snow or ice, so I don't know where he intends to find those.

20th Granite, 283

It took a good few days, with most of us of cowering under frozen trees at night, but eventually we had a crude pathway into the mountain. Lokum had gone on inside to work out some rooms in what we'd deemed downstairs, and I decided to get to work clearing out an area for future traders to stay.
No idea why they'd come here, but hey, we'll probably starve to death without them, so might as well give them a nice place to stay.

Urdim is surprisingly efficient at carrying all of our crap around, I didn't even notice that everything had vanished and reappeared inside one of the room below. That was nice. I kind of like him now, so I slipped him some extra ale.

1st Slate, 283

One month in and things were going rather well, even if it's still a god-forsaken kind of cold outside, but at least most of our stuff is inside now and we have not-as-cold rock to sleep on. Better than snow.
So this was all nice, until Lorbam returned from her scouting mission. We'd wondered where she went, I figured she went back home, but I guess not.

Apparently, the only water for miles in any direction is all ice and there's a chasm some ways away that used to be a river. That's nice. If we run out of beer and crap we're going to dehydrate and die, unless we can find fire.
But wait, there's more! It turns out there is fire, just over the ridge to the east of our little hidey hole.

And by fire, I mean a massive pit of lava. That wouldn't be so bad I guess (if a bit weird, considering the rest of the broken, frozen landscape) if it weren't for the fact that she reported little devilish creatures swimming around in it, throwing freaking fireballs at each other. Playfully!
Fikod says they're called imps and aren't so bad, as long as we leave them alone. I don't believe him.

On the bright side, Sarvesh decided to make a table and some chairs, which we put in one of the side rooms Lokum dug out for us. Now we have somewhere to eat that food we're running out of, whoo.
He also made a bunch of beds, which I had almost forgotten existed. Lokum says he dug out bedrooms, while we were outside, so we can finally remember what privacy is like.
They all look like dirty closets, but they're better than nothing, I guess.

3rd Slate, 283

Hey, actual good news arrived! Apparently, somewhere out in that frozen wastelands, there are shrubs with strange little berries on them, kind of an orange-ish color. Muthkat says they're safe and has apparently been eating them for a few days while the rest of us have been starving.
I convinced him to tell us where they were and then took the rest of them, so we could actually eat too.

16th Slate, 283

Lokum and I carved out a few new chambers, recently. One of them was mostly dirt and clay, so Muthkat ran in and started planting seeds everywhere. I guess that counts as a farm, which is good.
Maybe we won't starve to death after we run out of those berries outside.

Sarvesh and Lorbum set up a few more workstations out of the bigger boulders lying around in the bigger chamber, so they could make more stuff for us, I guess. Might help if we can actually get things other than beds and tables out of this, though.
On that vein, Muthkat came out with the wonderful news that he knows out to make ale! I've never been so happy to know someone that plays with plants before.

Things are looking up.

27th Slate, 283

Just about three months in, now. Looks like we finally have a survivable operation going here.
Muthkat is growing some sort of edible slime mold over in the farming chamber and periodically making more batches of ale.
Sarvesh has been making us more beds, in case some other lunatics show up to help us out, and barrels for our new food and drink.
Lorbam has mostly been making doors for most of the room, since she seems to think they're important. She made us a few chests to store personal items in, not that we really have many.
Fikod hasn't been inside much, save to sleep and get food. He's usually outside chopping away at trees. He's good at what he does, he always brings in a good haul. Urdim is often out their helping him bring the lumber inside.
Lokum and I have been digging some more tunnels, see if we can find anything interesting. He found some rock crystals the other day, but other than that, pickings have been slim.

7th Felsite, 283

Everyone is starting to settle into a routine, I think. Most of us just do our jobs and make sure everyone else is doing there's.
Fikod said a small army of giant ants were scuttling around outside, on the next peak over, so I told everyone to stay inside for a couple days.

14th Felsite, 283

Lokum found a vein of silver downstairs, so I've been helping him dig that out.
I think Lorbam has been tinkering with some of it, trying to see if she can make anything. Might be helpful if traders ever show up.

16th Felsite, 283

This...
We can't afford this.

Fikod came in yesterday, said he saw Lokum heading outside to explore a new section of the mountain.

Heck, I decided I'd go with him. Digging out that silver was starting to get boring. Same stuff over and over just gets stale.
I met him outside and we headed down the hill and over to the other peak, where he said it looked like particularly good rock.
We dug in for awhile and headed back out, or I did anyway. Fikod said he was going to go for a couple more feet.

That was fine, he does that a lot.
But, for whatever reason, I decided to check back, when I was just outside the Outpost.
He was following me, which was good. But something else was following him.

I got as far as raising my hand and starting to shout a warning when the damned imp ran at Lokum and slammed a fireball into his face.
Poor bastard didn't stand a chance...
A fireball flew past my head so I ran back inside, since Fikod says they lose interest when they can't see you anymore.

I waited awhile, then took Urbim with me to go see what we could salvage.
Lokum was a crisp. All of his equipment was a crisp. Apparently the imp had decided to practice its aiming with him, judging from the nearby scorch marks.

We brought back what we could, for his burial receptacle. I carved out a small room for it and moved it in there myself.

We're down to six now.

...Lokum was my only real friend here. We always had good talks while we were digging...
And now it'll just be silence. Me and the dirt.
Everyone else was hit, too, but I don't think they feel it as much as I do.

I'm sorry Lokum. May Sodel watch over you.

2nd Hematite, 283

Migration's here. Guess I should go out and tell people what they doing.
Someone will have to pick up the slack Lokum left behind. It won't be the same...but it'll have to do.

I really hope one of them is at least somewhat sane.

6th Hematite, 283

The hell?
We woke up and looked outside to find that all the snow and ice had vanished. Overnight. And it was suddenly warm! Not uncomfortably so like near that lava pit, but still warm. This place is disturbing.

But might as well take advantage of it while we can. I've assigned one of the migrants to go fishing and another to go hunting the wild animals that are undoubtedly wandering around now.

Rules/Guidelines (Read Please)

This is based off the game Dwarf Fortress, for those not in the know. As such, it won't be as completely ridiculous as most of the FFRP things lying around.
It's connected to the ACRO/Town realm a little, so it won't be entirely peaceful either.
The guidelines/rules:

-Please check in with me before jumping in here, so I can at least try to temper the madness if necessary

-There will be "NPC" dwarves around, to be godmodded as necessary, but only a few at first. Follow the Population List to see what's available. And don't godmod other people's characters or the original seven six dwarves unless permission is granted. Those last ones are mine. Maybe. Might let up on that later. Probably will.

-When using "NPC" dwarves, try to keep them to their jobs, if possible

-You're mostly free to add in on the fortress, though within reasonable(ish) limits. If you're doing anything significant, please run it by me first.

-Characters aren't going to be ridiculously powerful, all-knowing, or over-competent here. Give them reasonable capabilities.
Also: character death will probably happen. Don't worry, dwarves probably aren't finite.

-Positions of power are to be dictated by me, either by need, request (iffy and unlikely), or merit. Mostly that last one, I suspect.

-Dwarves can bring animals if they like. Though they should be somewhat reasonable, at least.

-Feel free to play it out like normal roleplaying, otherwise. I'll be keeping a journal like in the opening, so major events will be recorded. Everyone else can go about daily existence. Depending on how things are going, I may advance time forward.

-Probably more. I'll add them as I see the need. Or retracted. We'll see.

Population (Updated as necessary, or when I can)

Important positions will be donated in blue.
Death (and cause) will be donated in red.
Player characters will be donated in green.

Original Expedition Team:
-Dumat Bomreksezuk, Miner, Outpost/Expedition Leader (Head Honcho)
-Lokum Nishmokez, Other Miner, Bookkeeper Deceased (burned to death)
-Sarvesh Koluvar, our Woodcrafter and Architect
-Muthkat Kerligkogan, Farmer and Brewer
-Fikod Cogenol, Tree Chopper, Bookkeeper (Keeps tabs on inventory and worth, for now)
-Lorbam Astiden, Stonecrafter and Architect, Broker (She deals with trades for now)
-Urdim Sosadmorul, Hauler

Migrants: (Everyone else)
-Rovod Stukosistbar, assigned to metalsmithing
-Rakust Alathingul, assigned to mining
-Kosoth Zasgireth, assigned to cooking
-Ablel Zulbankeshshak, assigned to wood chopping
-Sakzul Bomrekamem, assigned to hauling and engraving
-Dodok Likotber, assigned to hauling and engraving
-Dastot Ecemalath, assigned to fishing (when warm) and farming
-Momuz Erithathel, assigned to animal care and hunting (oh the irony)

Animals:
-3 Emerald Wasps
-Muskox
-Pack Mule
-2 Cats

The Fortress (As best as words can describe)

If wish I could make pictures. I'm sure I'll find a better way to show this than a messy paragraph at some point.

For now, the fort is located in a colder section of the mountains (technically Outside, for those who care).
The entrance is in the side of a peak and stretches back into a hallway. One room off to the side is for the trade depot, where traders will stop by for their bartering and such.
At the end of the hall is a flight of stairs leading down to the B1, B2, and B3 floors.
B1 opens up in a square chamber with a door on each side. East leads to the dining hall, south leads to the farm plots, west leads to the item/food/booze/everything stockpile room, north leads to the workshops.
B2 contains a confusing maze of corridors in every direction. Bedrooms line the sides of the halls.
B3 is mostly exploratory tunnels with nothing of interest, save a few shiny rocks.

Outside is a broken terrain of hills and valleys, on the mountain side. Frozen ponds are around for most of the year, but briefly thaw during the summer. There's a river, but that's only seen during the summer. The rest of the time it's a large chasm with ice at the bottom.
On the other side of the mountain the entrance is located on, a large lava pipe sprouts up to the surface. Firey imps dance around here.

First Floor
-Entrance hall
-Trade Depot

B1
-Workshops
-Stockpiles
-Dining Hall
-Farm

B2
-Bedrooms

B3
-Exploratory tunnels