PDA

View Full Version : Burden (D&D 3.5 spell)

Chrono22
2010-03-22, 02:37 AM
I don't play the system much anymore, but got an interesting idea for a spell, that I don't believe I've seen presented.
It would basically target an object in a creature's possession (following the normal rules for saves), or a creature. Will negates.
On a failed save, the object's subjective weight (weight relative to the wielder/wearer/bearer) is doubled. The weight of a targeted creature would double- but only in relation to other creatures attempting to move him. Multiple castings targeting the same object or creature would not stack- you could however target another object.

So I figure, it's a spell that messes with encumbrance, or could provide a creature with extraordinary stability.

Assuming a duration in minutes, what level would you loosely place this effect around? I'm leaning toward level 2.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 03:31 PM
With a Will save and spell resistance, I'd say level one or two.

Doubling the weight of armor could be pretty disastrous for some, but really, not that powerful compared to other spells of 2nd level. I'd lean more towards level one, unless I missed something.

Chrono22
2010-03-22, 03:54 PM
It would also provide a targeted creature with a +4 bonus to resist being bull rushed or tripped.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-22, 04:06 PM
Which means it has both bonuses and drawbacks - making it less than ideal both as support and offensively. But increases its versatility if you're in a situation where the penalty is less significant... no, I'd say it's still definitely 1st level. There likely are not very many characters that could get hit by this and be significantly affected.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 04:20 PM
Which means it has both bonuses and drawbacks - making it less than ideal both as support and offensively. But increases its versatility if you're in a situation where the penalty is less significant... no, I'd say it's still definitely 1st level. There likely are not very many characters that could get hit by this and be significantly affected.

Agreed. Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow, meow, meow, meow.

herbe
2010-03-22, 04:43 PM
There is a similar spell in Complete Scoundrel as named Armor Lock. It cause only worst land speed(10 ft) and lose Dexterity bonus to AC (a rogue can sneak attack him).
Agreed on this spell should be 1st level and doubled the target(maybe up to medium size or exact weight)'s body weight. For example a dwarf with 16 strenght about 140 lb in weight and in chainmail. Light load is up to 76 lb. A chainmail weight 40 lb and doubled dwarf weight because he failed on saves against Burden spell (140 in carring capacity). He become heavily loaded with 180 lb and get disadvantages like armor check penalty.....
Moreover, most of characters would be heavy loaded or overencumbred(rogues wizards...) so should be a higher level for example 2nd level OR double only targets armor weight not his body... would be better

It would be a nice spell

Temotei
2010-03-22, 04:47 PM
There is a similar spell in Complete Scoundrel as named Armor Lock. It cause only worst land speed(10 ft) and lose Dexterity bonus to AC (a rogue can sneak attack him).
Agreed on this spell should be 1st level and doubled the target(maybe up to medium size or exact weight)'s body weight. For example a dwarf with 16 strenght about 140 lb in weight and in chainmail. Light load is up to 76 lb. A chainmail weight 40 lb and doubled dwarf weight because he failed on saves against Burden spell (140 in carring capacity). He become heavily loaded with 180 lb and get disadvantages like armor check penalty.....
Moreover, most of characters would be heavy loaded or overencumbred(rogues wizards...) so should be a higher level for example 2nd level OR double only targets armor weight not his body... would be better

It would be a nice spell

It's one object, not the whole inventory.

Wizards don't carry enough to be affected tremendously.

Rogues probably get the worst end of this spell, as they most likely have low to moderate Strength and they usually carry a fairly decent amount of equipment. Still, the utility of this spell over color spray, sleep, and grease is subject to speculation.

Chrono22
2010-03-22, 07:18 PM
^also, it should be pointed out, doubling a creature's body weight has no effect on their encumbrance.
Having a 400 lb dwarf doesn't really have many in-game drawbacks aside from making you hard to move or carry around. Hence the +4 stability bonus.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-22, 07:21 PM
As a commentary: if you doubled the total encumberance felt by the target, this would still be considerably less significant than, say, Glitterdust. Just wanted to point that out.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 07:31 PM
As a commentary: if you doubled the total encumberance felt by the target, this would still be considerably less significant than, say, Glitterdust. Just wanted to point that out.

Again, agreed.

This spell is a save or possibly kind of suck, while glitterdust is a save or really suck a lot spell.

Glitterdust being a 2nd-level spell, this one doesn't even come close.

Chrono22
2010-03-22, 07:32 PM
... it would also require less bookkeeping.
Hmm. So how about this- it doubles the encumberance of a target, but still imparts the stability bonus. So while it does make a target slower and less mobile, it also makes them sturdier.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 07:35 PM
... it would also require less bookkeeping.
Hmm. So how about this- it doubles the encumberance of a target, but still imparts the stability bonus. So while it does make a target slower and less mobile, it also makes them sturdier.

That's probably a fair 1st-level spell.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-22, 07:45 PM
I'd think so. I mean, compare to Ray of Enfeeblement, which you know is going to hurt them, and could possibly have the same effect as this, with this. This even allows a save.

Chrono22
2010-03-22, 07:47 PM
Could be a good way to drown someone...

DragoonWraith
2010-03-22, 07:49 PM
If they're in deep water if they're using more than half their encumbrance if they fail the save. That's a lot of if's.

Chrono22
2010-03-22, 07:49 PM
Well. I guess that's where using loadstones come in:smallwink:

Lysander
2010-03-22, 09:29 PM
You could also make it, rather than double their encumbrance, just add a set amount of weight to their encumbrance. Basically, a gravity field that constantly pulls them downward. If the spell scaled with caster level it could become very potent at higher levels.