PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Animate Objects a Wizard Spell? [3.5]

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 03:33 PM
It just seems like the kind of thing a Wizard would do; wander around bringing stuff to life.

I can understand it being on the Bard list, and I suppose the Cleric one but Wizard/Sorcerer seems just applicable.

Just a thought

K-B

Tequila Sunrise
2010-03-22, 03:42 PM
Same reason fireball is evocation, fire orb is conjuration, half of all 9th level spells are stupidly broken, same reason spells stop at 9th level rather than 10th, that you don't get bonus 0 level spells from a high stat and that being a persuasive talker makes your fireballs hotter.

In other words, 1) it's magic and doesn't follow any kind of logic or 2) whoever thought up the spell didn't follow any kind of logic. Take your pick.

Mastikator
2010-03-22, 03:45 PM
I wonder if they this thought passed their heads when D&D3.5 was created "hey, all those magical effects that works great as plot devices in fantasy literature? Lets make them spells that wizards casts"

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 03:57 PM
Same reason fireball is evocation, fire orb is conjuration, half of all 9th level spells are stupidly broken, same reason spells stop at 9th level rather than 10th, that you don't get bonus 0 level spells from a high stat and that being a persuasive talker makes your fireballs hotter.

In other words, 1) it's magic and doesn't follow any kind of logic or 2) whoever thought up the spell didn't follow any kind of logic. Take your pick.

So your reasoning is that it's not on there just because the writers are dumb?

I wonder if they this thought passed their heads when D&D3.5 was created "hey, all those magical effects that works great as plot devices in fantasy literature? Lets make them spells that wizards casts"

I'm genuinely not sure what this means.

JaronK
2010-03-22, 04:04 PM
It means for any movie or book, they thought "there should be a way to have this in game. I know, how about 'a Wizard did it?' Let's make that a spell." Often the most broken spells were created this way, because they were thinking of NPC Wizards doing it, not PC Wizards.

And Haunt Shift is how Wizards make Animated Objects.

JaronK

El Dorado
2010-03-22, 04:06 PM
A wizard could research it and add it to his list.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 04:10 PM
It means for any movie or book, they thought "there should be a way to have this in game. I know, how about 'a Wizard did it?' Let's make that a spell." Often the most broken spells were created this way, because they were thinking of NPC Wizards doing it, not PC Wizards.

And Haunt Shift is how Wizards make Animated Objects.

JaronK

Ah, I thought he was annoyed at me for thinking this should be a Wizard spell.

Where is Haunt Shift from?

Tequila Sunrise
2010-03-22, 04:10 PM
So your reasoning is that it's not on there just because the writers are dumb?
My reasoning is that there is no rhyme or reason to half of D&D's rules, especially anything to do with magic. Most likely sorcs/wizes can't cast Animate Object because someone decided that a few spells must be kept out of that list for the sake of class niche protection and 'balance.'

Personally I think it's a misplaced reason, and I'd suggest simply adding the spell to the sorc/wiz list if it bothers you. It certainly won't break anything.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-22, 04:23 PM
That has been always one of the odder ones. The movie is called 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice', not 'the Cleric's Apprentice', after all.

JaronK
2010-03-22, 04:36 PM
Ah, I thought he was annoyed at me for thinking this should be a Wizard spell.

Where is Haunt Shift from?

Heroes of Horror I think. 5th level spell, and you have to use undead to do it, but they're permanently yours and have a mind of their own (yet under your control).

JaronK

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 04:40 PM
Heroes of Horror I think. 5th level spell, and you have to use undead to do it, but they're permanently yours and have a mind of their own (yet under your control).

JaronK

Thanks.890

Wulfram
2010-03-22, 04:47 PM
Clerics give life to things might be their reasoning. If they animate dead, why not other stuff?

Loxagn
2010-03-22, 05:19 PM
Because Substitutiary Locomotion requires a musical number to work properly. :smallcool:

And two people in the entire universe got that joke.

Weezer
2010-03-22, 05:27 PM
Bedknobs and Broomsticks of course.

Loxagn
2010-03-22, 05:31 PM
And here I was thinking I was the only person who ever saw that movie.

Weezer
2010-03-22, 05:33 PM
It was one of the few kids movies at my grandma's house when I was growing up so I watched it an inordinate number of times.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 05:35 PM
Because Substitutiary Locomotion requires a musical number to work properly. :smallcool:

And two people in the entire universe got that joke.

Clearly you underestimate the world and it's love of musicals. I could name half a dozen people who could recite the son word for word with little to no thinking time.