PDA

View Full Version : The Wayfarer

SINISTAR
2010-03-23, 11:36 AM
WAYFARER
Adventures:The Wayfarer's craft is a closely guarded secret, and as such it is only taught to those of blood relation to a traveling band. A Wayfarer spends most of his life on the road, under the tutelage of his father, as was he to his father before him. Wayfarers follow a strict code of family before life, and are born entwined with the Spirit of the Road, an extension of the power of the god of travel. When a Wayfarer reaches maturity, as deemed by his Father, he is sent out to travel the world and experience it for all its glory. A Wayfarer yearns for the open road, the thrill of adventure, and the sights and sounds of far away lands. A Wayfarer can never be satisfied living in one place, and he will always feel the pressure of his fathers spirit and his fathers before him, urging travel and adventure.
Characteristics: Wayfarers cast arcane spells, but they do not channel them through the weave of magic as Wizards or Sorcerers do, but instead channel their magic through the spirit of their ancestral line. A Wayfarers spells can be cast as Blessings or Curses, each either causing an positive effect or a negative. A Majority of a Wayfarers spells are geared towards impeding or imbuing movement, casting, or abilities into a target creature.
Wayfarers are trained as trackers and guides, they are taught the roads and cities of their region as children, and are capable in any travel between or within anything from major cities to tiny villages
Wayfarers are taught to personalize and customize their armors and weapons, as they can be their only partners on the long road. As a Wayfarer's power grows they gain the ability to summon their ancestors to fight for them and protect them, honoring the sacrifice their fathers made for their lives with a sacrifice of their own.
Alignment: Any
Religion: Wayfarers tend to worship the God of travel, but the lines of religion are usually drawn between families, and a band, which usually consists of 3-4 families, respects each Father's choice. Some Wayfarers relinquish their religion when they set out on their travels, but usually return to piety when they return to their bands, or establish their own.
Background:A Wayfarer Is trained by his “Father” in the ways of his trade. These Fathers need not be blood related, but they treat their charges as if they were their own, and when they draw their powers they do so through the ancestral line of teacher to student, Father to Son. When a Wayfarer grows powerful enough he takes on an apprentice, a Son of his own, and begins his own Family, and if he finds other Families, he draws together a band to continue his travels and adventures.
Races:The majority of Wayfarers are Humans, as they tend to adapt to different areas well, but Halflings tend to have a knack for the profession more than most. The God of travel himself favors the Halfling people, as they have no homeland and would rather live on the road in any case. Some Wayfarers choose other races as Sons, and there are a few bands of Dwarven wayfarers who travel the underground roads.
Other Classes:The Wayfarer is a true jack of all trades, he can be a competent caster when he gains his spells, and his ability to adapt his armor makes him nearly untouchable in battle. Even so, he gains spells slowly and his spells are no match for a fairly good wizard, and he may not be able to dole out damage as a well equipped fighter or barbarian. His tracking and traveling abilities rival and sometimes surpass those of the Rangers, and in the city there is no one more versatile and cunning.
Role:The Wayfarer's Blessings can heal, protect, and buff another fighter, and their prowess with the exotic weapons from afar make them capable fighters. A Wayfarer can fit any role he chooses, and do it with some level of expertise, but never as well as a class dedicated to healing or battle. A Wayfarer is a traveler, a warrior and a protector, and a valuable addition to any party of adventurers.
Game Rule Information

Abilities: Constitution is important to a Wayfarer as life on the road can be physically demanding and difficult. A Wayfarer's spells and abilities are governed by Wisdom, and a wayfarer must have the Intelligence to traverse the complicated highways and byways of the land
Alignment: Usually Lawful neutral, but sometimes Neutral Evil or True neutral.
Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The Wayfarers class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex) , Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use rope (Dex)

Skills point at first level: (4+ int mod x4)
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+int per level

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Wayfarer.
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: All Simple and Martial Weapons, Light Armor. Wayfarers have Increased Carrying Capacity, as if they had ˝ Wayfarer level added to their STR

Spells: A Wayfarer draws his spells from the spirit and strength of their ancestors passed, bestowing powerful and terrible curses, or wonderfuk and beautiful blessings. As this practice is reserved largely for the more expereinced or elders of their travelling order. The Wayfarer The Wayfarer does not need to prepare these spells, and may cast any spell he has learned. When a Wayfarer reaches 4th level his ancestors gift him with the knowledge of 4 1st level spells, and each elvel after that he is gifted with 2 spells of any level he has access to.
Endurance: As feat

Diligent: As feat

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: As Feat

Haggler:(Ex) at 2nd level a Wayfarer Adds his level to any Diplomacy or Appraise checks.

Know Direction- (Su) at 3rd level a wayfarer gains Know Direction as a spell like ability and can perform it once per every 2 levels of wayfarer per day.

Armor Adaptation- (Ex) At 4th level, Wayfarers are able to adapt their armor to fit their particular body style. They adapt and alter a particular set or armor reducing the armor check penalty by 1 and raising the defense bonus by 1, but the armor can only be worn by the Wayfarer and can be slept in without causing the wearer to be fatigued This ability goes up to 2 at 6th level, and 4 at 12th level.

Wanderer's Knowledge: A Wayfarer may make a Wanderers Knowledge check, similar to a bardic knowledge check, to know the quickest route between two settlements or regions. The wayfarer adds his level and int modifier to the check, and may only make one check for every pairing of locations.

Track: at 6th level, Wayfarers gain the ability to track creatures through any terrain, Urban or otherwise, with a successful Survival check.

Medium Armor Proficiency: At 6th level, Wayfarers gain Medium Armor Proficiency.

Freedom of Movement: (Ex) At 7th level a Wayfarer suffers no movement penalty from whatever armor he wears.

Sustenance: (Su) At 8th level a wayfarer has learned to tune his body with the will and spirit of the roadand ween his body from its physical needs. At 8th level the Wayfarer no longer needs sleep, but must still rest to regain his spells. This ability increases to Greater Sustenance at 14th level and the Wayfarer no longer needs to eat or drink either.

Pack of Holding:(Su) At 10th level any container of bag on a Wayfarers person is treated as containing an extradimenional space as that of a bag of holding. The Wayfarer must prepare the pack by carrying it from one settlement to another by foot, and then anoint the container in a ritual lasting 4 hours. This can only be done once, and the Wayfarer my choose to wait indefinitely to perform the ritual. The pack is attuned to the Wayfarer's Wanderer Soul and as such only the Wayfarer may add or remove items to or from the extradimensional space. Ancestral Knowledge:(Su) at 11th level the Wayfarer gains the ability to call upon his ancestors and ask 1 question for each point of his Wisdom modifier. The Ancestor may answer any question regarding the past or activity on the lower or higher plains.

Trackless Step: At 12th level, Wayfarers gain the Trackless Step Ability as that of a Druid.

Ancestral Warrior: (Su) At 13th level a Wayfarer may summon one of his powerful Ancestors to fight alongside him. This Ancestor uses the Wayfarer's physical form as a template for his/her arrival and appears eqipped with the same weapons, abilities, and armor as the Wayfarer, but maintains a ghostly Visage.

I'm still working on a spell list, any ideas?
Grand Procession:(Su) at 14th level a Wayfarer may perform a ritual of offering to the spirit of travel andsummon a glowing Procession of light. Least Grand Procession summons one celestial wagon that can carry up to 6 persons and up to 800 lbs of goods, and moves at a speed of 200 feet per round. At 16th level the Wayfarer gains Lesser Grand Procession, which summons 2 clestial wagons, Grand Procession Summons 3, and Greater Grand Procession summons 4.

Timeless Body: (Su) At 17th level a Wayfarer's travel hardened bady no longer appears to physically age. However, he is still susceptable to the ravagings of old age and will die when his time comes.

Forever Curious
2010-03-23, 11:44 AM
Eh...lack for formatting hurts my eyes...

Might I suggest this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313)? It has the format for class progression tables that would help clean things.

SINISTAR
2010-03-23, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I'm kindof new to the forum, like BRAND new.

Got the code, working on a more formatted version, in the meantime what do you think of the class as a whole?

Forever Curious
2010-03-23, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I'm kindof new to the forum, like BRAND new.

Got the code, working on a more formatted version, in the meantime what do you think of the class as a whole?

*notices* Ah...I see. Didn't mean to come off as rude :smallredface:

Hmm...I like the fluff. Also, am I to assume this is D&D 3.5?

Spells: A Wayfarer draws his spells from the spirit and strength of their ancestors passed, bestowing powerful and terrible curses, or wonderfuk and beautiful blessings. As this practice is reserved largely for the more expereinced or elders of their travelling order. The Wayfarer The Wayfarer does not need to prepare these spells, and may cast any spell he has learned. When a Wayfarer reaches 4th level his ancestors gift him with the knowledge of 4 1st level spells, and each elvel after that he is gifted with 2 spells of any level he has access to.

...based on this he only has access to 1st level spells ever...

I recommend just going with the Ranger spellcasting progression. Seems to fit the flavor.

Armor Adaptation- (Ex) At 4th level, Wayfarers are able to adapt their armor to fit their particular body style. They adapt and alter a particular set or armor reducing the armor check penalty by 1 and raising the defense bonus by 1, but the armor can only be worn by the Wayfarer and can be slept in without causing the wearer to be fatigued This ability goes up to 2 at 6th level, and 4 at 12th level.

I like this, just be sure to note the Armor bonus increases by 1.

Medium Armor Proficiency: At 6th level, Wayfarers gain Medium Armor Proficiency.

I've never seen a class that gains proficiency with levels. Not understanding how it fits the fluff, nor am I sure I like this...

Ancestral Warrior: (Su) At 13th level a Wayfarer may summon one of his powerful Ancestors to fight alongside him. This Ancestor uses the Wayfarer's physical form as a template for his/her arrival and appears eqipped with the same weapons, abilities, and armor as the Wayfarer, but maintains a ghostly Visage.

...so is it just a copy of the Wayfarer? What's it's duration? Is it etheral?

Grand Procession:(Su) at 14th level a Wayfarer may perform a ritual of offering to the spirit of travel andsummon a glowing Procession of light. Least Grand Procession summons one celestial wagon that can carry up to 6 persons and up to 800 lbs of goods, and moves at a speed of 200 feet per round. At 16th level the Wayfarer gains Lesser Grand Procession, which summons 2 clestial wagons, Grand Procession Summons 3, and Greater Grand Procession summons 4.

...I wouldn't give these individual names. Just have Grand Procession scale with level.

I'm still working on a spell list, any ideas?

I recommend the Ranger list, as previously stated.

Hope you found this critique helpful.

Forever Curious~