PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dhampir (Half Vampire template) (PEACH)

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 06:37 PM
This is a +1 LA template that can be added onto any living humanoid.
Vampires are an unusual type of undead and can produce Dhampir, or half vampire spawn when mating with mortal women. Dhampirs abilities awaken when reaching adulthood, although they always have a pallid and feral look.
+2 Str +2 Cha.
+2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot checks.
+8 bonus to climb checks and can always take a 10 on climb checks.
+8 bonus to hide in mist or fog.
-8 penalty to swim checks.
Natural armor bonus equal to half it's constitution bonus rounding down, this never applies as a penalty.
1d6 Slam Attack.
Darkvision (Ex): Out to 60 feet, or improved by 60 feet if the base creature already has darkvision.
Endure elements (Ex): as the spell, but as an extraordinary ability.
Damage Reduction (Su): A Dhampir gains DR 2/magic or silver.
Charming gaze (Su): The Dhampir gets a +4 bonus on social interactions(most charisma and sense motive checks), against any creature within 30 feet that does not purposefully avoid direct eye contact with the Dhampir. Avoiding direct eye contact with a Dhampir does not grant an attack penalty, though the creature does take a -4 penalty on charisma and sense motive checks against the Dhampir as not being able to look at someone you are talking to in the eye usually hampers your ability to use and observe body language and does not give you a look of confidence.
Undead Blood: For all effects related to race, a Dhampir is considered an undead in addition to whatever subtype the base creature had. However spells and supernatural abilities which effect only undead usually have no effect on a Dhampir.
Tainted: Dhampirs always radiate a mildly evil aura regardless of their true alignment. Holy water deals half damage and unholy water heals half it would an undead. Holy symbols, garlic and mirrors (though Dhampirs do have a reflection) cause Dhampirs to become shaken.
Unsettle Animals (Ex): All herbivores and most domesticated animals are automatically hostile towards Dhampirs which makes handle animal and ride checks towards them impossible without the calm animals spell. So Dhampirs normally can't ride horses, but they can ride in carriages pulled by horses driven by a human. Horse skeletons are another option. Dhampirs gain a +4 bonus to handle animal and ride checks against undomesticated carnivores.
Drink blood: A Dhampir can drain the blood of any living helpless warmblooded creature, dealing 5 points of con damage per round gaining temporary hitpoints equal to the constitution points absorbed. Every 5 points point of constitution absorbed to a maximum of 7 allows the Dhampir to last one day without needing to eat or sleep or drink, although they still can do these things to gain benefits from them.
Death kneel (Sp): As soon as he reaches the third level a Dhampir can cast death kneel once per day.
Children of the night (Sp): Once per day a Dhampir can cast the highest version of summon monster (Fiendish animals only) at a caster level equal to cleric of HD equal to his minus 3.
Sunlight weakened: While in any contact with sunlight causes a Dhampir to take a -2 penalty to it's attack bonus, caster level and all skill checks.
Bonus feat: A Dhampir may chose one from the following list: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes. He must meet the feat's requirements to take it.

dragonfan6490
2010-03-23, 07:09 PM
This is a +1 LA template that can be added onto any living humanoid.
Vampires are an unusual type of undead and can produce Damphir, or half vampire spawn when mating with mortal women. Damphirs abilities awaken when reaching adulthood, although they always have a pallid and feral look.

Ok, lets take this one step at a time.

+2 Str +2 Dex +2 Cha.
+2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot checks.

Good so far, makes sense.

Natural armor bonus equal to constitution bonus, this never applies as a penalty.
1d6 Slam Attack.
Darkvision (Ex): Out to 60 feet, or improved by 60 feet if the base creature already has darkvision.
Damage Reduction (Su): A Damphir gains DR 5/good or silver.
Fast Healing (Ex): A Damphir gains Fast healing equal to their charisma bonus every 10 minutes.
Charming gaze (Su): The Damphir gets a bonus on charisma and sense motive checks equal to it's HD against any creature within 30 feet that does not purposefully avoid direct eye contact with the Damphir. Avoiding direct eye contact with a Damphir does not grant an attack penalty, though the creature does take a -4 penalty on charisma and sense motive checks against the Damphir.
Undead Blood: For all effects related to race, a Damphir is considered an undead in addition to whatever subtype the base creature had. However spells and supernatural abilities which effect only undead usually have no effect on a Damphir.
Tainted: Damphirs always radiate a mildly evil aura regardless of their true alignment. Holy water deals half damage and unholy water heals half it would an undead. Holy symbols, garlic and mirrors (though Damphirs do have a reflection) cause Damphirs to become shaken.
Death kneel (Sp): A Damphir can cast death kneel once per day. Successfully using this ability replaces the Damphir's need to eat and drink for that day.
Children of the night (Sp): Once per day a Damphir can cast the highest version of natures ally as a druid of equal HD can cast at a caster level equal to his class levels. A DM may ban the Damphir's ability to summon any animal type that he deems as "unsuitable", all bats, rats and wolves are always allowed.
Sunlight weakened: While in any contact with sunlight causes a Damphir to take a -2 penalty to it's attack bonus, caster level and all skill checks.
Bonus feat: A Damphir may chose one from the following list: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes. He must meet the feat's requirements to take it.

Brew Blood Potions: If a Vampire or Damphir has the brew potions feat, he can create blood potions that only works for damphirs and vampires. A damphir can hang any freshly killed medium or large warmblooded creature upsidedown for an hour than distill it's blood which requires another hour, the brewer can make a potion that heal a number of hit points equal to the drained creature's constitution bonus.

All of these various powers together, IMO are much more powerful than LA +1. Even with the sunlight weakness, I'd say this is worth LA +3 or 4. If you just want LA +1, I think you should either tune down the abilities or trim them down to just one or two abilities.

Edit: Okay, it was more than just one step at a time, but this just screamed at me: Higher LA!

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 07:20 PM
(I just added the unsettle animals quality)

@dragonfan6490
I don't see it, can you tell me specifically what abilities you think are over powered. Many of their abilities are ability based, so they are very easy to loose with the right opponent (poisons, diseases, ability damage)

BRC
2010-03-23, 07:24 PM
Three stat boosts with no penalties is worth a +1 LA by itself. Then you throw on Children of the Night, an SLA that scales with HD per day. Damage Reduction. They gain the benefits

A bonus to charisma and sense motive checks that scales with HD. Plus Natural armor equal to constitution?
Edit: I didn't even see those skill bonuses. Sweet Gygax, those are massive.
Also "Situations exist that could make this not broken" does not mean it's balanced.
I'm sorry sir, but this is +3 LA at least.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 07:30 PM
Three stat boosts with no penalties is worth a +1 LA by itself. Then you throw on Children of the Night, an SLA that scales with HD per day. Damage Reduction. They gain the benefits

A bonus to charisma and sense motive checks that scales with HD. Plus Natural armor equal to constitution?

I'm sorry sir, but this is +3 LA at least.

I just halved those abilities. IMO Most creatures in the monster manuals with playable LA (lizardfolk, drow, hobgoblins, Tieflings, aasimar) are heinously underpowered.

dragonfan6490
2010-03-23, 09:21 PM
Sure, I understand that. But the thing is, they are balanced against the PHB classes. This is way more powerful than any of those, and at only LA +1, you get a whole host of useful abilities, DR 5? Death Kneel? Charming Gaze? Bonus Feat?

Geiger Counter
2010-03-23, 09:33 PM
Sure, I understand that. But the thing is, they are balanced against the PHB classes. This is way more powerful than any of those, and at only LA +1, you get a whole host of useful abilities, DR 5? Death Kneel? Charming Gaze? Bonus Feat?

Their DR and charming gaze in now scaling and capped at level 10.
Their bonus feats are extremely limited compared to the human bonus feat.
Also they have a ton of flaws for balance, they can't swim, paladins will consider them evil, the fact that many common items cause them to freak out and most animals in a village will freak out around them.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-24, 10:05 PM
Updated.
http://www.anime.com/Vampire_Hunter_D/images/01.jpg

erikun
2010-03-24, 10:35 PM
Alright, let me try looking it over.

+2 Str +2 Cha.
+2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot checks, these double to +4 on gaining the 10th level.
Bonus feat: A Dhampir may chose one from the following list: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes. He must meet the feat's requirements to take it.
Looks good so far. As DragonFan mentioned previously, this is close to a +1 LA by itself.

Natural armor bonus equal to half it's constitution bonus rounding down, this never applies as a penalty.
1d6 Slam Attack.
Damage Reduction (Su): A Dhampir gains DR 2/magic or silver.
Fast Healing (Ex): A Dhampir gains Fast healing equal to their charisma bonus every 10 minutes.
Not bad. Darkvision is good, although the rest are mostly flavor - or at least not something that will apply in battle. The ability heal up quickly outside of combat is very useful, though.

Charming gaze (Su): The Dhampir gets a +4 bonus on charisma and sense motive checks, doubling to +8 at level 10, against any creature within 30 feet that does not purposefully avoid direct eye contact with the Dhampir. Avoiding direct eye contact with a Dhampir does not grant an attack penalty, though the creature does take a -4 penalty on charisma and sense motive checks against the Dhampir as not being able to look at someone you are talking to in the eye usually hampers your ability to use and observe body language and does not give you a look of confidence.
This doesn't quite make sense. Why would bluffing or wearing a disguise be less useful when the NPC doesn't look the Dhampire in the eye? I'm sure there are several other times when this wouldn't be appropriate - the charisma check during Planar Binding comes to mind.

Undead Blood: For all effects related to race, a Dhampir is considered an undead in addition to whatever subtype the base creature had. However spells and supernatural abilities which effect only undead usually have no effect on a Dhampir.
Tainted: Dhampirs always radiate a mildly evil aura regardless of their true alignment. Holy water deals half damage and unholy water heals half it would an undead. Holy symbols, garlic and mirrors (though Dhampirs do have a reflection) cause Dhampirs to become shaken.
Unsettle Animals (Ex): All herbivores and most domesticated animals are automatically hostile towards Dhampirs which makes handle animal and ride checks towards them impossible without the calm animals spell. So Dhampirs normally can't ride horses, but they can ride in carriages pulled by horses driven by a human. Horse skeletons are another option. Dhampirs gain a +4 bonus to handle animal and ride checks against undomesticated carnivores.
Sunlight weakened: While in any contact with sunlight causes a Dhampir to take a -2 penalty to it's attack bonus, caster level and all skill checks.
You might want to make a note on which abilities are the ones that "usually" affect the Dhampire. Sunbeam? Turning? Radiant Servant of Pelor?

I assume you mean strongly presented holy symbols, or all holy symbols? Would a Dhampire Cleric be permanently shaken as long has he has his holy symbol? Does it apply to items that act as holy symbols, such as a Holy Avenger?

I'm not sure why they would get a bonus to handling carnivores. Traditionally, all natural animals shied away from undead.

Can the Dhampire take Daylight Resistance to negate Sunlight Weakened?

Overall, it makes life difficult for the Dhampire, but it's nothing worth adjusting the LA over. Well, unless they can be turned or take damage from Cure Light Wounds.

Drink blood: A Dhampir can drain the blood of any living helpless warmblooded creature, dealing 5 points of con damage per round gaining temporary hitpoints equal to the constitution points absorbed. Every 5 points point of constitution absorbed to a maximum of 7 allows the Dhampir to last one day without needing to eat or sleep or drink, although they still can do these things to gain benefits from them.
Death kneel (Sp): As soon as he reaches the third level a Dhampir can cast death kneel once per day.
Children of the night (Sp): Once per day a Dhampir can cast the highest version of summon monster (Fiendish animals only) at a caster level equal to cleric of HD equal to his minus 3.
So: free healing from downed opponents outside of combat (or grappled/paralyzed opponents in combat), Death Knell 3/day, and Summon Monster 1/day. That's pretty good, especially when you basically get a free Ring of Substance out of the deal. You won't be summoning any unicorns or chain-gate solars, but there's still plenty of things you can do with free summons. I'm not quite sure why vampires = demons, though.

Overall, I'd give the template a +2 LA, and is in need of some clarifications. The first block is definitely a +1 LA, and the combination of the second and last blocks push it up another +1. It might very well be +3 LA with Charming Gaze as written, considering that it is an effective +4/+8 bonus to any check relating to Charisma. Sunlight Weakened will give problems during daylight hours, although this can be easily remedied by adventuring by night - or just hanging out in a nearby shadow.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-24, 11:12 PM
As DragonFan mentioned previously, this is close to a +1 LA by itself.

He said that when there were 3 ability bonuses and I would have agreed with him then the attack and skill bonuses and the ac from +2 dex is hefty. Also I'm loosely following yabba the what's feature points (it's really worth downloading). And I do not think that drow hobgoblins lizard folk and planetouched deserve their current LAs.

This doesn't quite make sense. Why would bluffing or wearing a disguise be less useful when the NPC doesn't look the Dhampire in the eye? I'm sure there are several other times when this wouldn't be appropriate - the charisma check during Planar Binding comes to mind.

-Yes I am a normals human
-You are a normal human
-I will be on my way
-You will be on your way

You might want to make a note on which abilities are the ones that "usually" affect the Dhampire. Sunbeam? Turning? Radiant Servant of Pelor?

Basically almost never, usually is just reserved for very specific home-brewed stuff at the DM's desecration.

I assume you mean strongly presented holy symbols, or all holy symbols? Would a Dhampire Cleric be permanently shaken as long has he has his holy symbol? Does it apply to items that act as holy symbols, such as a Holy Avenger?

It would only apply to symbols which are innately good, so all symbols associated with good deities yes, most neutral and all evil deities no, unless said deities had a grudge against undead. And yes any good aligned weapon can shake up a Dhampir.

I'm not sure why they would get a bonus to handling carnivores. Traditionally, all natural animals shied away from undead.

Dracula has a strong affinity with wolves bats and rats, I would extend that to all pure carnivores and scavengers like predatory cats and jackals. Bears are omnivores so they too would be hostile to dhampirs.

Can the Dhampire take Daylight Resistance to negate Sunlight Weakened?

I haven't heard of that feat before, but if it can make a vampire immune to day light than it would work on a dhamphir

Overall, it makes life difficult for the Dhampire, but it's nothing worth adjusting the LA over. Well, unless they can be turned or take damage from Cure Light Wounds.

Death Knell 3/day,

where did you get that?

I'm not quite sure why vampires = demons, though.[QUOTE=erikun;8149439]

Originaly It was natures ally with DM's discretion as to what's suitable for a vampiric creature but that's too complicated, any creature that is fiendish on the summon monster list usually fits as a creature of the night.

[QUOTE=erikun;8149439]The first block is definitely a +1 LA,[QUOTE=erikun;8149439]

according to YTWFPs if I took away one +2 ability bonus it would definitely be LA+0

[QUOTE=erikun;8149439]It might very well be +3 LA with Charming Gaze as written, [QUOTE=erikun;8149439]

Under YTWFPs charming gaze would be roughly equal to the human's features.

[QUOTE=erikun;8149439]Sunlight Weakened will give problems during daylight hours, although this can be easily remedied by adventuring by night - or just hanging out in a nearby shadow.

Actually even indirect sunlight effects dhampirs.

Temotei
2010-03-24, 11:31 PM
Careful with "gauging" tools. They can be used as guidelines, but they fail in the long run to cover everything like they should. Never use those tools over critique from this board.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-24, 11:36 PM
YTW used this system to critique a whole bunch of races.
It's not a perfect system but it's better than most.
I removed fast healing because it was redundant with blood drinking.

dota600
2010-03-24, 11:38 PM
There is already a dhampir template, go and look at the Denizens of Darkness by sword and sorcery publications(etc). Though much weaker than what you propose, they are fairly balance if you ask me(in such a setting as Ravenloft).

They are much powerfull than the half-vampire template in the Libris Mortis which caters to more straightforward campaign worlds.

Temotei
2010-03-24, 11:45 PM
There is already a dhampir template, go and look at the Denizens of Darkness by sword and sorcery publications(etc). Though much weaker than what you propose, they are fairly balance if you ask me(in such a setting as Ravenloft).

They are much powerfull than the half-vampire template in the Libris Mortis which caters to more straightforward campaign worlds.

I think there's another dhampir in a monster manual or something. Maybe Libris Mortis...really, I'm not sure. I know I've seen a dhampir before.

Don't let that discourage you though.

YTW used this system to critique a whole bunch of races.
It's not a perfect system but it's better than most.
I removed fast healing because it was redundant with blood drinking.

Again, it may be good, but nothing compares to playtesting and human feedback. Never take technology's advice over Giant in the Playground forum-goers. :smalltongue:

Geiger Counter
2010-03-25, 12:05 AM
It think this is a great opportunity to discus the innate value of many abilities.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19540894/YabaTheWhats_feature_points
There is a few disputes I do have with this system, he tends to undervalue ability points. For example it is more expensive to have an ranged attack bonus, a dodge bonus and +1 to all dex based skill than it would be to just have +2 dex. Also I think he takes a one size fits all aproach to spell like abilities when each can have a very complex utility value.

Dannan-Kun
2010-03-25, 12:40 AM
This class is so over powered... I LOVE IT! lol, its funny
Now i have a half goliath half vampire with 2 lvls in the vampire class. HAHAHHA!