PDA

View Full Version : Planar Travel Without Magic (FEAT)

Lysander
2010-03-26, 11:17 AM
This could be a useful feat for low-magic campaigns, or planar games that happen to lack a caster with Plane Shift.

Planar Traveler

Prerequisite: Knowledge (Planes) 10 ranks, Survival 5 ranks

Benefit: A DC20 Knowledge (Planes) check and a DC10 survival check allows you to find otherwise undetectable naturally occurring temporary weak points in the fabric of reality. Weak points typically only last 1d4 hours after they are found.

This process requires 2d6 days of exploration, but is reduced by one day for every five you beat your knowledge check by, to a minimum of one day. Once you have found a weak point you can perform an hour-long ritual to open a rift there to the astral plane, or to a coexistent plane of your choice.

The rift is a glowing 5ft radius circular gateway that allows two way travel before it closes after 1d4 minutes. The ritual is partially magical and cannot be performed in a dead magic plane, but the rift once created is a non-magical spacial disruption. A dimensional lock or similar spell suppresses but does not permanently close the rift, and a person affected by a dimensional anchor or similar cannot pass through it.

Zexion
2010-03-26, 02:29 PM
This is somewhat reminiscent of Phillip Pullman's series The Dark Materials. Perhaps you might want to work in a way to make a permanent portal?

arguskos
2010-03-26, 02:37 PM
Looking at this feat, my first question is: where does it GO? What plane you find is seemingly random. Perhaps make it so that this feat allows you to find access points to the Astral, where rules already exist to find color pools to anywhere else. :smallwink:

Course, that's me being a cutter and all.

Vemynal
2010-03-26, 03:14 PM
This is somewhat reminiscent of Phillip Pullman's series The Dark Materials. Perhaps you might want to work in a way to make a permanent portal?

was *just* thinking 'would be a cool ability to add to a knife' XD

Lysander
2010-03-26, 03:36 PM
Looking at this feat, my first question is: where does it GO? What plane you find is seemingly random. Perhaps make it so that this feat allows you to find access points to the Astral, where rules already exist to find color pools to anywhere else. :smallwink:

Course, that's me being a cutter and all.

It specifies that it links to the astral plane, or a coexistent plane of your choice (ethereal or shadow basically). This just gets you to the astral plane so you can explore for the portal you want there.

arguskos
2010-03-26, 03:42 PM
It specifies that it links to the astral plane, or a coexistent plane of your choice (ethereal or shadow basically). This just gets you to the astral plane so you can explore for the portal you want there.
K. I musta missed that (cause I'm special like that). Good to see you beat me to it. :smallcool:

Lysander
2010-03-26, 04:30 PM

Hmm...how about this:

Planar Gatekeeper

Prerequisite: Planar Traveler

You have learned how to prolong planar rifts you create with the Planar Traveler feat. Rifts now persist for 1d4 hours instead of 1d4 minutes before closing. When the portal would close you may make a DC20 Knowledge Planes check to keep it open for another 1d4 hours. In this way through constant periodic effort you can keep a rift open indefinitely.

You may make a rift truly permanent by building a gateway around it. The gateway is an arch constructed out of stone laced with diamonds, gold and mithril, requiring an appropriate DC20 Craft check, a DC30 Knowledge Planes check, and materials costing 40,000gp to create. To build this arch requires you to successfully keep the rift open for 24 hours. If the arch is ever destroyed the rift once again becomes unstable and closes after 1d4 hours. The valuable metals and gems can often be recovered from this rubble, usually recouping half the construction cost. Because of this lootable material gateways created this way are tempting targets for thieves if left unguarded.

Jack of Spades
2010-03-26, 10:40 PM
Possibility for more expansion would be to have rifts that, rather than popping in and out of existence, roam about the universe (possibly carrying couches or men from the vicinity of Betelgeuse). Being able to chase a rift seems to me a much more cost-effective way of maintaining a cross-planar connection.
I'm just imagining people running alongside a glowing hole in reality like hobos chasing a freight car. =P